Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

i thought you would think you would have enough concern yourself ,both kilkenny teams in both finals sunday,clear as day you make jibes at cusack,asking questions ,you.know too well the answer to ,just trying to make a dig at cork.
    Look ,dont get bothered just cause your hero ,Brennan ,i correctly questions hes managerial record.
    It was woeful as many kilkenny fans acknowlwdge.Im sorry but i cant dress up just cause it upsets people.It is was it is,facts dont lie.

You havent got a clue regards cusack with hes not involved in coaching ,he actually coaches cloyne,still plays,was going to limerick with ger cunningham ,but limerick done a u turn.
    Brennan, hes career as manager of the greatest hurling county was short and sweet just two years.
    Well it was not actually sweet,,my apoligies,it actually left a sour taste with many.,that wexford beat him twice,he couldnt even win a leinster title.
    Imo it has everything to do with cusack as cusacks criticsed cork famine of success,as brennan thought he was the bees kness,old school methods when he was manager.,was out of hes depth and kilkenny knew that also.He was in charge of a dismal period of kilkenney hurling,hardly in position to understands cusacks winning mentality.

http://m.kilkennypeople.ie/sport/gaelic-games/cusask-sparks-real-debate-but-1-6261452

Such nonense imo.
    Tuesday nights board meeting proved you cant debate in cork,bob and frank dont do debate.
    So when was cusack going to air hes views.
    As for cork hurling will always be fine i have no fears for cork hurling ,are they trying to insult the grass roots fans intelligence ,theres huge fears for cork hurling.why would brennan give a hoot if cork hurling was declining,it suits kilkenny,as kilkenny senior domminace comes in our decline.
    When a kilkenny man tells you he has fear of cork hurling,were doing well,i would be alarmed,it suits kilkenny were down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

i thought you would think you would have enough concern yourself ,both kilkenny teams in both finals sunday,clear as day you make jibes at cusack,asking questions ,you.know too well the answer to ,just trying to make a dig at cork.
    Look ,dont get bothered just cause your hero ,Brennan ,i correctly questions hes managerial record.
    It was woeful as many kilkenny fans acknowlwdge.Im sorry but i cant dress up just cause it upsets people.It is was it is,facts dont lie.

You havent got a clue regards cusack with hes not involved in coaching ,he actually coaches cloyne,still plays,was going to limerick with ger cunningham ,but limerick done a u turn.
    Brennan, hes career as manager of the greatest hurling county was short and sweet just two years.
    Well it was not actually sweet,,my apoligies,it actually left a sour taste with many.,that wexford beat him twice,he couldnt even win a leinster title.
    Imo it has everything to do with cusack as cusacks criticsed cork famine of success,as brennan thought he was the bees kness,old school methods when he was manager.,was out of hes depth and kilkenny knew that also.He was in charge of a dismal period of kilkenney hurling,hardly in position to understands cusacks winning mentality.

http://m.kilkennypeople.ie/sport/gaelic-games/cusask-sparks-real-debate-but-1-6261452

Such nonense imo.
    Tuesday nights board meeting proved you cant debate in cork,bob and frank dont do debate.
    So when was cusack going to air hes views.
    As for cork hurling will always be fine i have no fears for cork hurling ,are they trying to insult the grass roots fans intelligence ,theres huge fears for cork hurling.why would brennan give a hoot if cork hurling was declining,it suits kilkenny,as kilkenny senior domminace comes in our decline.
    When a kilkenny man tells you he has fear of cork hurling,were doing well,i would be alarmed,it suits kilkenny were down.

I don't recall where I made Nickey out to be my hero but if that idea soothes you, cherish it. I couldn't care less about him or what goes on between himself and Cusack. They're grown ups so let them at it. However, your snide remark about how KKs lack of support for Corks strike and how that in some reflects on the players of the time shouldn't go unremarked. It is very delusional to think that there should be a general countrywide strike just because a bunch of fellas can't get on with another bunch. It was a classic schoolyard row where it was nobody's business but the two involved. That was the general view in KK at the time - 100% correct imo.

citykat wrote: »
    I don't recall where I made Nickey out to be my hero but if that idea soothes you, cherish it. I couldn't care less about him or what goes on between himself and Cusack. They're grown ups so let them at it. However, your snide remark about how KKs lack of support for Corks strike and how that in some reflects on the players of the time shouldn't go unremarked. It is very delusional to think that there should be a general countrywide strike just because a bunch of fellas can't get on with another bunch. It was a classic schoolyard row where it was nobody's business but the two involved. That was the general view in KK at the time - 100% correct imo.

Yere captain.andy comeford didnt think.so,he supported cork
    Not snide ,geuinely calling a spade a spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

That will be a cracker I was talking to a lad from Newtown and he said they will be missing Jamie c coughlan

Just heard newtown refused to play the final until after their senior match with Na Piarsaigh..

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Birds of a feather flock together.
    Im sure cusack looses no sleep over it.
    Another stone age view man regarding hurling imo.
    He knows well about mediocrity and shamboluic management to agree cork isnt in crisis,sure he had a woeful woeful term as senior kilkenny manager had no concepts around tactics.
    Some man to travel all around the world and fair play liked business class
    .Hes reply was over safery risks of the danger on long all flights,yet many thousands fly every day but just take precautions.
    andy comeford in particular ive huge time for in hes support of cork in the strikes,said he be ashamed if kilkenny were treated the same.A man of principle i admire greatly.
    Shefflin i have great time for as a player but spoke in support of cork last year,sure thats easy to do.He did not say too much in support when it was on .
    As for others the less said the better.

I wouldn't be talking about travelling the world if I was u. The most travelled official in the history of Gaa/GPa is a certain Cork man. What kind of work is Cusack doing at ground level inhis own area?

• Advertisement

I never criticised him for travelling,i said fair play hes some man to travel all around the world,problem imo would be business class when theres no need to travel in such class.And promoting the game is fine ,but it shouldnt give him a licence to travel continously to different contients,with more pressing concerns at home imo.Its not like the rose of tralee in fairness .
    Also cusack promoted the games at home.,schull,banteer,etc,northern ireland as much as he does abroad,he promoted hurling 11 in america and at home.A lovely balance by cusack.
    He called for a team ulster in the championship,it made sense.

Cusack is currently playing with cloyne,and has a huge involment in training with diarmuid falvey in that team.
    I find it amusing,it really shows where cork gaa is many criticise cusack yet no here criticsed the appalling different precdents in m
    atch punishment in the two gaa club match brawls ,,or the no support for shamrocks delegate tueday night,the sheer ignorance and lazy,protect their own interests attuide imo first and foremost by the big fish in cork,the rockies,barrs,the glen,bishshoptown etc,sarsfields often seen as the golden boys of cork gaa,in not supporting the shamrock member,yet these boys moan and wonder why Cork still loose etc.
    And its not all in these clubs are yes men,it would be wrong to say they are,fergal ryan,alan browne to fair,credit due were part of the six that stood up in the ist strike.
    Sherlock is not a county board man.Theres some good gaa people in those clubs but its the delegates are the problems mainly imo.

That north cork final is a huge game.,but i see no reason why it should be postoponed.
    Charville just played the semi final tuseday,still in intrermediate,IF true ,newtown have no just cause for a postponent imo.

A huge game in buttevant,sunday at 6.30 ,junior a final buttevant v ballyclough.
    Killshannig won in may 3-8 to 1-12.
    Id say ballyclough will win.
    Should be a good game,plenty of lads that played with various cork teams in the past in both teams,Killan o.hanlon this years cork u 21,Colm o neill current senior,Paul flynn ex u 21,junior,senior.,sigerson winner with cit,current cork minor damien buckley,cork u 17 adam finnegan and mark heffernan cork u 21 panelists last year.
    Colm o.neill should be the difference for ballyclough,got a goal and seven in the game in may,one four from play.
    Id expext him to be unmarkable sunday in a very close game though.The best defenders in ireland struggle with Colm,hard to see how kilshannig can hold him.
    Damien buckley is a top forward also.The midfield battle between o hanlon and flynn should be very good

Kilshanning going for their 8th title,ist since 1996,ballyclough going for their fourth,ist since 2012.
    I wouldnt mind either club winning,but over colm o neill i like them to win and with him could rattle the county if they get through.

My team now for next years cork minors ,could change obivously as time changes.
    Declan dalton  as the keeper.,but.if they want him as a half forward where he played a bit in challenge matches this year,cian collins ,or kenneally ,or looney more than capable of doing a job.

Dean linehan or cathal martin in one corner.lenihan is very fast .

Martin is young but paddy loughin captained charville in u 16  kinnane cup this year, now playing full back sunday in a minor all ireland final.
    Martin was outstanding for midelton v athenry and v kilkenny cbs.I think he is a fine hurler.

Ian cahill full back orDarragh o brien,sean o connor,darren butler all options.

Seanaidh smith in the other corner.
    Conor cahalane or even smith at half back
    Chris o leary at centre back simply majestic

Niall barry murphy,john cashman, or conor o brien  or john mullins are viable options  for the last slot.
    Barry murphy playing minor for club .O brien or cashman likely.

Butty mccarthy, at midfield a starter but Jeremy saich,martin coleman,ronan harrington,Jack barry  are all in contention.luke meade is eligble for the  harty cup,im unsure regards the minors but if hes eligble he is an automatic starter with the powerful mccarthy .Saich is late comer to the u.16 team,was good on a beaten team apparently last week,he will get better and better,good enough to be a panel member next year imo.

shane kingstion  is eligble,a certain starter and will be playing senior club hurling next year

Dan landers a superb ball winner,strong,can score,play centre or full forward

Josh beausang 8 points from play in dean ryan final ,and good for the u 16s.
    When you see conor fitzgerald,casey,loughin at that age for limerick but playing sunday,he could play at that level.

John looney
    Michael o halloran or Tim O Mahony ,both terrific prospects.
    Billy dunne,on last years panel,played  a bit,very fast,wristy and elusive hurler

Thats a potent forward line,with hackett a live option,daniel gunning,tracey real good subs to have.Robbie flynn looked good the weekend,could be a real option

Cian collins,kevin moyinhan,luke hackett a fine player,cian daly,jack barry,Killan tracey ,killan aherne and shane o driscoll both phyiscally able at 16 to make the jump next year as playing minor at club,daniel gunning,Evan sheehan,cork have the talent for a panel capable of winning munster but also building for 2016 as having a blend of expierence and youth like limerick do.

The harty cup will throw up a few players also .
    Arron lyons of valley rovers,is worth monitiring with hamiltion in the harty cup  this year.
    Theres a base for a solid spine of the team with Ian cahill,at full back  playing intermediate with cloyne,Smith played harty cup and on this years minor panel,chris o leary playing intermediate with valley,outstanding in last year harty cup and just barely missed this year  minor final cut,butty maccarthy captain dean ryan winning team,,Kingston this year minor team and got a superb goal v limerick ,tim o mahony playing senior for newtown ,with john looney dean ryan cup winner,and outstanding at intermediate for aghada ,and cork u17s,a real core of big game players to build next years team from.
    I fancy cork next year in the minor,as they have organistion,resilence,belief,under this set up and will come on leaps and bounds from last year.
    A lot of this panel,that didnt start last year were involved with the set up ,and for most that didnt make it had been involved up to february.
    The harty cup is of huge importance to the minor team but also limerick dont pick players that arent availble for adult level at club level.Thankfully this and next years minors team in cork do likewise.

A huge weekend for limerick hurling but of huge interest to cork,i wish them nothing but the best masterminded by the Genuis,bold,open,charismatic,innovative,shrewd, but a ruthless core to him that top managers must have,corks very own ,jerry wallace.
    The imerick media,will have brian ryan as their main man in depth interviews bout hes team,thats understandable.,fair enough,thats good for limericks image at board level ,a local man in charge but everyone with knowledge of limerick minors,relaise wallace has a huge role with mckenna,cregan,and mcdonagh having important roles also,cant be underestimated.
    Aongus o.brien a clare man.,good trainer barely gets a mention either.

Its no coincedence since wallis arrived in 2011,limerick have got better.Brian ryan has some good skills,no doubt bout that but hes been involved  in many senior and.minor limerick teams in the past,with no great success,,its no suprise the addition of wallace is a huge infuence their.Ryan was with  limerick in the 2005 final but won nothing.
    We beat them in the munster final,they got a soft draw in antrim,then dublin who were starting their revoloution but were beaten by galway.Those limerick teams had no modern manager on the line. Brian ryan sunday will man the line but Wallace will be very close to him during  the game.

What an all ireland to win this year,beat cork,tipp,galway ,kilkenny and the current all ireland champions waterford.If cork had wallace,100 per cent guranteed success with any team.He has such Natural Hurling intelligence, he's attention to detail is second to none imo.

I thought seamus hickey on the sunday game three weeks ago really showed who runs that show,he mentioned only wallace and paid him huge compliments.
    This limerick team is being hyped up,i normally bust the hype bubble in my posts regard limerick,but this is an exception,truly justify the hype and are imo very close to the best minor team i ever saw.
    I can only see one winner sunday.
    Kilkenny a very good team,no shame in loosing to them,but this limerick team are well prepared.
    With minors theres a risk how they react on the big day,but limerick remind me of the cork team 95 that blew kilkenny away.It will be close but limerick look better.

Paddy loughlin plays with charville.cbs,conor boylan son of dave ex midelton hurler,adds to the cork connection.
    It will be a terrific boost to cork minors next year should limerick win,as.cork pushed them all the way,getting 2-9 from play to limericks 16 points.Fair enough limerick dominated a twenty minute spell,great teams do that,cork came again and took over in the last ten minutes and went in level at half time.
    Limerick have from this year panel 14 involved out of 34 next year,training for two years which brings them on hughely.
    Thats the key with wallace,

Limerick Blows away Cork Bob ryan,and others myth its first and foremost bout producing players,winning isnt key.
    Wallace proves you can do both.
    Out of the  current team,o loughlin,cian and ronan lynch,barry nash,conor fitzgerald,morrisey,la touch cosgrave etc imo are down the line future seniors.Cork have this rubbish ,a minor team producing two seniors is good,brillant lets have a party.
    You should aim for a mininum of five and at the very least get the team to croke park so lads get used to croke park.

The current limerick panel is in line to win the all ireland,but tommorrow starts today for them in as this years panelists eligble for next year are aaron gillane,eoghan mccnamara,conor houlihan superb in dean ryan cup and u 17 v cork last week,peter casey,seamus flanagan,brian ryan,tom hayes u 17 player in mallow,conor macsweeney,adam o.brien played in mallow also,conor fitzgerald,conor boylan,barry murphy,darragh caroll,paddy o loughlin.
    Limerick combine interrogration of  players and sucess easily at minor,no excuse cork cant do the same.
    The very very best of luck to limerick sunday.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/donal-og-cusack/donal-og-cusack-to-beat-cats-think-fast-and-play-like-its-your-last-285047.html

That very last piece cuasck said ,summed up kilkenny and limerick.
    Kikenny when the game was their to be won,limerick simply coudnt do it,yet kilkenny praise limericks,fury,passion etc,limerick fool themseleves thinking they were close when they werent.It is like classic mick o dwyer kerry beating cork we beat the second best team in ireland,as if Cork should be proud.

Kilkenny and correctly so only respect a team thats beats them.A hall mark of champions.
    Cody is weary of jbms teams and respects him,he has reason to.
    He need have no fear of limerick,as manager in championship hes teams never lost to them .

I have always said since that kilkenny game,limerick were not that good the last game.
    Kerry done the same in football down the years to cork.To become that beautfuil cold team cusack says,its imperative imo you have a ruthless manager to instill that in the team.
    Kerry and kilkenny have it in spades ,cork football dosent have it.If you asked the real knowlegable cork fan regards our senior football v kerry next year they would give the same answer as that knowledable limerick man as,we may put up a fight but we will loose ,theres no true real belief in the current football team despite its wonderful talent,and that imo always is a managers fault in any team.
    Cusacks article, imo a very articulate,winning mentality flows through it.
    Jbm has that quailty but must be more tactically shrewd and constant in ruthless execution,like he dropped white,naughton,cusseen ,o brien ,murphy but he gives cadogan,cian mac,lawton,haughney among others too much leniancey imo.

The East cork hurling junior final sunday night is live on radio CRY 104fm youghal between cobh and castlematyr sunday eveining.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Shane Walsh of Bride Rovers must be considered for minor team next year. Saw him play a few times this for their seniors very impressive.

Shane Walsh of Bride Rovers must be considered for minor team next year. Saw him play a few times this for their seniors very impressive.

Very good player is he with colmans this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 goalmouth

Wasn't too sure of this till lately but playing his fourth yr at harty that's some going

• Registered Users Posts: 31 goalmouth

Very good player is he with colmans this year?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Yeah some going. Four years playing Harty. Played half back for Rovers this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

As regards the East Cork final being played at 6pm afr AI final
    It's a disgrace
    Shame on the East Cork board
    It's a stand alone fixture
    Why not play it this eve at 5/6 pm
    Or play next sun??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

You have to be a special type of idiot - or just from Kilkenny - to call into question the integrity and sacrifice of a man like Donal Og Cusack, who has been playing for Cloyne for nigh on twenty years - and will probably play for 5-10 years more - has trained their senior team for many years, played for Imokilly for years and has attended GAA events all over the country...while also having a successful career both in inter-county GAA and in normal life.

Absolutely no one in this thread, citykat or otherwise has achieved or done anything in the GAA that comes close to touching what Donal Og has done, so a little respect and perspective in future please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Orizio wrote: »
    You have to be a special type of idiot - or just from Kilkenny - to call into question the integrity and sacrifice of a man like Donal Og Cusack, who has been playing for Cloyne for nigh on twenty years - and will probably play for 5-10 years more - has trained their senior team for many years, played for Imokilly for years and has attended GAA events all over the country...while also having a successful career both in inter-county GAA and in normal life.

Absolutely no one in this thread, citykat or otherwise has achieved or done anything in the GAA that comes close to touching what Donal Og has done, so a little respect and perspective in future please.

Very true. I put that fella on ignoire long ago as it gets tiresome to continually read stupid and idiotic posts on a regular basis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Really looming forward to the ladies game. Dont think there will be too much between them. Our defence I expect will do their job well but our forwards will have to raise their game from the outset in order to win. The late show against Mayo won't do today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Lol

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/09/05/armagh-ladiesfootball/

Best of luck to the ladies

Douglas v youghal.A real tricky tie for youghal.After the high of beating midelton ,and a huge hunger intensity last week its natural the edge may be slightly off douglas today,youghal will be resoulte and wont die theres real dog in them.
    I must give christy cooney credit,i would not have thought hed be good,but the key is and while im not hes biggest fan as an adminsator,im honest enough not to let that cloud what good he has done.
    He loves youghal,so he leaves any ego aside and allows others coach the team,cooney uses hes other strengths,excellent communicator,organised,and gets the jobs done.
    Bringing in peter cody was a masterstroke to train them at the start.

The key for douglas manager collins is as youghal will be up for it,is to.get the match ups right,as douglas intensity may be slow to start,getting the match ups right,targetting youghals key men will deprive them of momentum and a foothold in the match.

Youghals key men are cunningham cork intermediate winning goalie,he has good puckouts.
    Brendan ring,ollie dempsey,this years cork minor,leigh desmond alan frahill.o.connor and bill cooper ,and john grace and conor spillane are their key men

Cadogan would seem to be the only defender for cooper physicslity wise but while hes erratic at times in shooting,cooper should be sharper hurling wise than cadogan with little hurling done and cooper wont take a step back but relish cadogan

I think cooper ,who has pace,could cause him trouble.
    Leigh desmond cork u 21 ,good and brave ,has hurling,hurls a lot of ball between half back and midfield.
    Stephen moylan made a difference at midfield last week but haugney suited him,haughney wont mix it,has no bite in hes hurling and is too loose imo.
    Dowling at half back weakened midfield for midelton as cormac walsh a good player was not suited by haughney at midfield as they are too alike.

If paul fitzgerald is fit after injury ,it will help douglas at midfield and provide better balance with mark harrington  and imo would replace mulrooney and if alan barry is back at half back,douglas be stronger.

Youghal have a clear advantage in the half forward line,cooper frahill o connor,and ring are well able to win their own ball and should cause douglas half back line imo their weakest line problems but bar dempsey who is likely to play midfield,youghals full forward line is poor enough and wont score much.
    They have power and strength but at this end of the championship lack a scoring forward in brian corry,darren maccarthy,jamie coughlan,pat horgan,etc

Douglas have better scoring talent,five players that reperesented cork at different age groups,mark.collins imo not good enough for senior for cork but fine for today,
    Stephen moylan in the half forward line.
    Conor spillane is a fine centre back.for youghal but collins just has to keep him busy, and give.moylan some freedom to score.

The douglas full forward line,alan cadogan five points the last day,cork minors year aron ward and.mark o connor have huge potency ,john grace as solid as he is lacks pace for a pacey douglas full forward line and while brendan ring who is a fine player canmark cadogan,aron ward should do damage.

The one worry is its a young douglas forward unit and if it becomes a close game,have they in a war of attriton,the leadership to stand tall a week after last weeks game.I think they have .
    Moylan and collins intercounty expiernece in hurling and football should help them if it gets rocky.

Douglas to win but this has danger written all over it.Youghal have not the hurling of midelton or sarsfields but are dogged and resilent,but had 13 wides the last game and only got 13 points,just 14 points in a game the two goals helped them v na piarsaigh,they cant as dont have the forwards in a shoot out,to go toe to toe with douglas,their only hope is a low scoring,sweeper system with a defined plan.

Barrs and the sarsfields,this will be a slow game both physicial teams that go direct,down the middle,lack guile and real pace and if the bars had one real forward they could beat sars,who are definetly.beatable.Cathal mccarthy a big.onus him to score,on hes day a fine player,but they lack an intercounty forward,but mccarthy should cause ray ryan problems if he has a good day,and the other two half forwards are not great,thats why if they win today they still wont win a county this year.

The barrs under cremin are player wise similar to last year,got in a relegation play off,fundamental key difference to this team is john cremin,hes calm,composed,shrewd,has honesty within something the barrs lacked over the years and caused their famine,not honest enough to know they.neglected the hard work and a vision for the future.
    Wont win a county but have made huge progress this year,if they keep it tight,low scoring and actually belief they can win,realise sars are a tired old team its winnable.

There fine one to ten,no depth in forwards but if they go direct to u 21 player,colm keane hes powerful to cause leahy problems at full back.

Burns at full back,cian walsh cork.minor have solidity in that aera.
    With cussen out they can leave burns at full back.
    If there going to win,their half back line is there only way of doing it.
    Cahalane,could chip in with score or two,ronan curran should be able for cian maccarthy,Eoin keane.power and hunger,even though he lacks pace,sarsfields have no fast forward to exploit that weakness.and the bars could dominate here.
    The one worry is kearney running from midfield could expose gaps,create overlaps.

If i was the barrs,id play zonal defending bunch my full back and half back line,drop ian maguire back a bit deeper,and play a two man full forward line,with a full forward playing half forward,a half forward playing midfield,they can prevent kearney exposing them.
    Rather than individal marking,go zonal.
    The man marking role id do is cian walsh on fraggie ,fraggie is a goal poacher,but walsh has pace,energy to play fraggie from the front,the best way he can defend against fraggies expierence is dont let fraggie get the ball in the ist place.

If they set up ,right,go for it,in difficult game to call i will go against the widespread belief by all and say the barrs to win.
    It would be great for the competition if sars were beaten,new blood in to what was a much better championship this year.
    I said this years would be very competive unlike last year last winter simply cause lynham,cremin,liam ryan all coming in as managers greatly improved the glen,the barrs and newtonshsndrum.
    Sars winning a county imo with around tweleve or so of a team that won in 2012,would bring a staleness to cork hurling and offers cork no hope in munster with bar sullivan,kearney  no real options for cork,and kearney and sullivan are already there win or loose.

The glen,douglas,ballymartyle,newtownshandrum,offer more for cork as county champions.
    The barrs winning,may push a cork recall for eoin keane at full bac,however winning a county has negatives in cahalane will be primed to be dual next year , ian maguire on the club team of the year,jbm gets carried.away,picks him as another dual star for the hurling next year.Thats not an exxageration,look at the form guide he has with dual players.
    From corks view,douglas,newtown,Glen offer better for cork senior hurling but at u 21 also imo.

Newtown to beat charville in u21,and clyda to just edge newcestown in the replay,but a very very hard game to predict,could go to extra time but marginally i go for clyda, on the kissane ned english factor, with the winners to play st finbarrs or bishoptown next.

A busy day in cork gaa.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Really looming forward to the ladies game. Dont think there will be too much between them. Our defence I expect will do their job well but our forwards will have to raise their game from the outset in order to win. The late show against Mayo won't do today.

Starting Orla Finn over Farmer is a big call - very very nervous about this game.

O Hanlon is a superb player, and Briege isn't a man marker. Phelan doing well to keep AM Walsh out of the team - but they need to mark, rather than marking space

Live on TG4 atm - gutted I can't be there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Ridiculous penalty given to Armagh and a point given that was wide!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Ridiculous penalty given to Armagh and a point given that was wide!

I thought it was a penalty alright - Martina stopped her from going after the ball, but more disappointing was that it came directly after she put a kickout over the sideline. Looked rattled but settled.

Caroline o Hanlon is dragging Armagh along atm, managed to get to grips with her in the last 20 mins.

Orla Finn is playing well - I questioned the call but she is playing well. Ciara O Sullivan is playing her normal "selfish" game, running with the ball, but it suits when playing against the wind.

Would like to see Scally and Emma Farmer come on at some stage

Actually regarding that Rebel Leader article - Cleary took over the Cork ladies under 16 team, claimed an All Ireland title with them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Our girls could teach an awful lot of teams out there how to be ruthless in putting a team away. No mercy.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Our girls could teach an awful lot of teams out there how to be ruthless in putting a team away. No mercy.

But their marking is shocking!!! :D:D

think Jim McGuinness got his team plan from watching these girls, back in numbers and break at speed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Orizio wrote: »

I presume that respect and perspective will also be extended to a former president of the GAA whose integrity and sacrifice was called into question including a clumsy, side of the mouth allegation of using GAA money for luxury travel. Absolutely nobody in this thread has achieved or done anything in the GAA that comes close to touching what that man has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 The growler

citykat wrote: »
    I presume that respect and perspective will also be extended to a former president of the GAA whose integrity and sacrifice was called into question including a clumsy, side of the mouth allegation of using GAA money for luxury travel. Absolutely nobody in this thread has achieved or done anything in the GAA that comes close to touching what that man has done.

I find it incredibly hypocritical for a Kilkenny fan to look for respect for Nicky Brennan when Brennan was a target for abuse from Kilkenny fans who forced him to quit as manager. I'm not saying you were involved but look to your own crowd before admonishing Cork people for lack of respect towards Nicky Brennan.

You see, Kilkenny think they're above all that because everything has gone so well for them since 2000. When things aren't going well then the knives are out just like every other county.

Oh and by the way, the Brennan v Cusack issue is clearly because of the Cork strikes. The Kilkenny "Stepford wives" would never have had the balls to do such a thing.

Yet another AWESOME performance from the ladies!!! I really love watching them.
    Their defence ...yet again... was marvellous! Their tactics were excellent, they hunted in packs and broke forward with regularity and purpose. Armaghs goal simply woke Cork up and the engine room of the midfield took over and the forwards do what they do best.
    Orla Finns first point off her left was a great score. We could have scored a goal or two more in the first half but they remedied that soon after. Some super performances but what about that for a sub to come on! Nollaig Cleary, take a bow!! First touch .....goal! Second touch....point! Third touch.....point! Fourth touch ...a peach of a pass over the defence for Rhona to bury a goal! Fifth touch...point. Unreal!

The ladies are just a joy to watch, they really are! Long may it continue!!

Sars won ,but this game showed how the barrs are struggling up front bar colm keane who i said would trouble leahy,did got a goal and  around four from play,one other goal bound shot saved by kennedy.
    This win shouldnt hide theres some serious weakness in the sarsfields team imo.

The barrs half forward line is not potent or fast,yet had ray ryan and company in all sorts of trouble at times.
    If newtown meet them in the semifinal,coughlan and clifford will cause them bother.
    They won but its because they had better forwards than the barrs who like i said had no forwards,mccarthy was good but then faded.out of it,a fine hurler but very inconsistent on any given day imo.

Douglas if they they met them in a final would have too many forwards,expose that full back line,bar o.sullivan ,as it is an old half back line ,and a half forward line heavily reliant on cian mac who is not suited to a fast game imo,who curran suprised me and didnt do as well as i thought he would one on one but sars opened up the centre at ease with kearney running through the centre and popping over lovely scores.At half time just four in it they had a real chance,i said barrs could win and would,if they set up right.
    They did not,at half time should of changed things barrs imo made sars look great,they are not.
    Fraggie is a super servant of cork ,and club but hes best days are gone,yet he got a goal,created another one of what should be a solid barrs full back line.
    Tadhg o murphy got a fine goal,but he wont get big scores in a match.
    Barrs,made progress this year,but have huge work still to do,cremin said as much after eirns own despite some fans believing they would win county
    They need forwards,imo four or five years off winning a county imo.

Conor cahalane will be a fine half back next year,and cork minor,but i see very few,top top forwards coming up the ranks.
    Cremin will get the best out of them,but they are limited.Like cork hurling,there is no quick fix for a team once a force now a dimminshed minnow but at least there competive mosts days.
    Cremin credit due unlike some of their fans knows that and doesnt believe in mushrooms,he belives in a long term plan complimented by hard work and lots of it.
    They wont be relegated under him.

The glen,rockies,douglas are still ahead of them with much better young forwards coming through.

The barrs didnt go zonal today never protected lack pace in the backs bar walsh,and cahalane.
    Newtown if they meet will play a sweeper ,jp king named 15,playing deep,something i said the barrs should do but did not and newtown have tim o mahony a target man to operate a two man full forward line effectively.Newtown wont bomb ball after ball down on the sars half back line,they will play the width of the.ptich and make sars run.A dry day they would love.They must beat na piarsaigh first,but i think they have a better chance thsn na piarsaigh of beating sars.
    The sars will hope they play a direct,orthdox,na piarsigh over a young,fast,exurbant posseion type orientated newtownshandrum in a semi final.

Kearney,fraggie,quigley ,cian mac  played well for sarsfields today.

The glen got horgans red card rescinded,yes their is an argument  horgan was unfairly targeted,but it doesnt excuse retallion,the mediocre bans in small fines make a mockery of fairness and constanty in line with the valley rovers game and imo made no statment of intent against what is becoming a familar scenario  ,but more imo the big clubs can do wrong.and wont be punished as severly as others,as these clubs have poweful voices.
    If this was small clubs etc,for example would the punisment be the same or even remotely close to it.

Youghal were gallant and brave but once douglas matched their intensity after 20 minutes they ripped them apart,alan cadogan,mark o.connor and stephen moylan on fire.
    Eoin cadogan was okay but cooper at times had him in trouble.
    John grace tried hard but as i said lack of pace,exposed.Hes effort cant be faulted imo.
    Youghal beaten but in their ist year back in senior have done good,safety maintained for next year and will learn from today,a superb club and had a good season.
    Douglas,sailed through a tricky tie,admirably,two back to back wins,have real momentum,and have more in them and will take some stopping in the semifinal.
    Ballymartle as proven in last years epic would be a huge ask for them,but one they can win,or if it is glen,wont fear them.
    The glen and douglas would be some game.Douglas are reaping the benfits of eddie murphy huge work in underage the last few years.

What an awesome,trojian,epic,gutsy,brave win for the wonderful clyda rovers,real dogged,real resilence,heart to beat newestown by two points who were.a superbly organised,resilient dogged team that you just had to admire,but the class of kissane,english like i said would edge it for this wonderful,wonderful north cork club,yet again put the bigger towns to shame,in ist year back at senior reaching the quater finals.
    Well done Ned english,what a manager.
    Clyda could very well beat finbarrs or bishoptown,i hope they meet and beat bishoptown a big city club,who imo wouldnt be too happy beaten by a small country club.Bishoptown see themselves as the big boys in football.
    If they get to a semi final,the lack of a real star forward,like masters,colm o.neill,brian or michael hurley,Vaughan or goulding,barry or driscoll,means they will push castlehaven close and imo would win a county but wont beat them as they dont have one,as haven are spirted,dogged,real values,a clone of clyda but they have three intercounty forwards of senior quaity,clyda have none .
    Yes donegal shocked dublin,but while clyda have a messiah in a manager and play a blanket like donegal,donegal have three scoring potent forwards.

Seamus ronayne,cork  minor was a late starter for hanlon,had a superb game,great point at a vital time.
    Clyda were down a point at half time but dont panic.
    Carey,o shea,connor o sullivan were superb in defence ,kenneth fitzgerld lorded the air,awesome warrior kissane(appearantly as coach destined for a change) covered acres of ground,and got a superb point win the midfield battle.
    Conor flangan,cian o sullivan done their best work off the ball than on.it,forcing turnovers,James murphy 3 crucial points and big daniel callaghan,a real presence at full forward but man of the match,sean o connell around one three but always involved.He was outstanding,the young lad.
    A breathtaking win,im not a clyda man but christ above whatever happens in the quater final,the team of the championship,ist year up and retained top flight status beating overhyped poorly coached o donovan rosssa,and now with limited rescources in the last eight of the championship.
    A credit to Cork football like castlehaven.
    Imo they would push nemo very close but would beat most teams left in the county,even muskerry who imo arent as good as last night poor nicks made them look,and duhallow with a long lay off pushed them all the way earlier in the season.Its a pity their not on the same side of the draw imo.
    It would be a great interesting game to watch.
    Superb win,havent watched it yet ,cork ladies,wonderful group of players,i hear post match interview where Corks panel depth is lauded,all down to eammon ryan and hes ruthless approach ,no player guaranteed a spot,always introducing every year a player or two.John cleary and ryan are a huge loss to cork mens game but they are the  ladies gain,when what we have instead wouldnt tie either of those shoelaces.

I cant wait for the  dublin game,four key ladies imo for them,the veteran lyndsay peat,Ruddy an awesome majestic corner back,young star noelle healy,and one other top forward,cant think of her name but she has blond hair and is a very good forward.
    You would think briege corkery,Valerie mulchay ,geraldine o flynn and angela walsh can mark those imo  those four key dublin ladies .

• Advertisement

I read a splendid article on cork camoige team by linda mellerick in the echo tonight,where she gave cork a real chance v kilkenny,gave shrewd ruthless assement and said Brian cody is certain to spent a few visits to the kilkenny team.Wonderful,truly wonderful ,congratuations to Corks innagural all ireland u 15 camoige champions and to the Cork ladies U 16 football all ireland champions.

Kanturk beat kilworth,anyone at it??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement