Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

TTm any idea where paudie is going after leaving the clare gig? any hope Cuthbert has asked him into the set up? agree with you about douglas will take some stopping. Barrs are stuck - decent defence but no where near enough up front to trouble a serious team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Kanturk beat kilworth,anyone at it??

Very entertaining game that could have gone either way. Final score kanturk 0-21 kilworth 1-16. Both keepers scored a few points from frees. Lorcan Mcloughlin was the difference between the sides. Class act. Aidan Walsh didnt really stand out. For Kilworth Mannix was on fire in the first half and scored some great points but quiet in the second. Liam Whelan scored 4 points from midfield also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Thanks deise much appreciated

How was darren browne,??cork minor this year and ian walsh at full forward

Sean im hearing mixed reports,two counties,so not sure if it true so i wont say yet could be just rumour

Dougal,ballymartle,newtown,glen have much better chance imo in munster than sarsfields

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

If Horgans card was overturned it is a disgrace and typical of the incompetence of the CCB. It will take a good team performance to beat Douglas.

Sean im hearing mixed reports,two counties,so not sure if it true so i wont say yet could be just rumour

Dougal,ballymartle,newtown,glen have much better chance imo in munster than sarsfields

Wasnt tracking who scored what but think Ian Walsh scored a point. Donnachadh Kenneally had a good game and scored a few points for Kanturk too actually. Both Browne and the other Kanturk corner back were fairly on top of their markers for the match

• Advertisement

Wasnt tracking who scored what but think Ian Walsh scored a point. Donnachadh Kenneally had a good game and scored a few points for Kanturk too actually. Both Browne and the other Kanturk corner back were fairly on top of their markers for the match

Newtown v charville avondu final u21 tuesday 16th rearranged for mallow at 7.30

Seems odd it was changed,and why both clubs travel to mallow.
    Why not buttevant or milford on a weekend

Malllow is a fine complex though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ned Walsh

deisedude wrote: »
    Ian Walsh couldn't have scored seeing as he was suspended. Got a red vs Tracton. The two Brownes had good games, Kenneally was excellent. Donagh Duane the old fox was top notch. Lochie was exceptional, particularly from placed balls. Jonnie Mc was quiet, Aidan was good without being at the top of his game. Kanturk are playing some lovely hurling, very impressive are coming up this year. Should be a good game vs Newcestown. Overall a great game tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

In no particular order the standout players in the senior 1/4 finals for me we Alan Cadogan,Eoin Cadogan,Mark Collins, Dan Kearney and Eoin Keane. On club form both Mark Collins and Eoin Cadogan need to be on the Cork side. It highlights once again the fact that they are too many senior club teams. Youghal, as intermediate champs, should never be that far off the standard required. KK have 12 senior sides,which is what Cork should be aiming for.

Are you actually serious Wille

Dualism complety failed last year both based on that you want eoin.cadogan,crippled by injuries to combine both.

He was far from yesterday.Is.he better than colm barry,jamie.nagle,Cormac murphy both aggressive.hurlers imo no way.
    Collins was good but look at level of hes opponent.

How in name of jesus when cork loose to kerry,enter the qualifer route,combine both.
    Cork hurlers dont need collins,michael o.sullivan,Anthony spillane john cronin.etc are much better options.

Sean hayes last year minor,like michael cahalane,pa callaghan last year,should added to the training panel,like lehane,colm o.riordain,austin glesson,ciaran sheehan etc were at that age
    Hayes shouldnt start every game,but slowly interrograted to senior,he imo has terrific potential.
    I agree eoin keane and kearney.were immense.

• Advertisement

Ned Walsh wrote: »
    Ian Walsh couldn't have scored seeing as he was suspended. Got a red vs Tracton. The two Brownes had good games, Kenneally was excellent. Donagh Duane the old fox was top notch. Lochie was exceptional, particularly from placed balls. Jonnie Mc was quiet, Aidan was good without being at the top of his game. Kanturk are playing some lovely hurling, very impressive are coming up this year. Should be a good game vs Newcestown. Overall a great game tonight.

Oops my mistake. Was there supporting Kilworth so didnt pay as much attention to who played well for Kanturk. Best of luck in the semis

Some huge shock in the minor.
    I would have to feel for that team,and wallace.
    A huge huge setback to limerick hurling ,as unlike a clare team,underdog ran kilkenny all the way to a point in 09,this limerick team were huge favourites,and many,myself inculded couldnt see past limerick.

The key players never got in to the game.This is imo the best prepared limerick team ever at minor,couldnt win it,under wallace.etc they will never have as good chance again.Minors with top coaching couldnt win,the seniors have no chance imo next year.
    Huge set back for limerick.minor and senior,something bout limerick in all ireland finals ,not the result they want
    It wont happen but wallis would.be ideal in cork.
    The draw is around november,so limerick wont be feared as if they won today so if we have limerick at home,its winnable.
    Bad news for cork in that were behind kilkenny,but cork minors be very strong next year
    Congrats to kilkenny,a supberb display.

http://www.gaacork.ie/news/337569/Ronan_McCarthy_Steps_Down_as_Cork_Football_Coach_Selector

One selector i said many times here that i rate highly ,he won me over,illustrates the shambles,i mean shambles of current regime.
    He was apparently from happy with dualism,out of the others there he was the most expierenced selector there
    Hugely respected by the players.

Yes he says work commitment but ger cunningham said in hurling the same,yet went for the limerick job.
    More bad news if true on the way,and if true the replacement is imo hardly inspiring
    Theres a few in contention
    You would be a brave coach to join this sinking ship imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

http://www.gaacork.ie/news/337569/Ronan_McCarthy_Steps_Down_as_Cork_Football_Coach_Selector

One selector i said many times here that i rate highly ,he won me over,illustrates the shambles,i mean shambles of current regime.
    He was apparently from happy with dualism,out of the others there he was the most expierenced selector there
    Hugely respected by the players.

Yes he says work commitment but ger cunningham said in hurling the same,yet went for the limerick job.
    More bad news if true on the way,and if true the replacement is imo hardly inspiring
    Theres a few in contention
    You would be a brave coach to join this sinking ship imo.

I was hoping that after the Mayo game things might improve but I've heard from 2 very reliable sources that this set-up is a disaster and that Cubby is very unpopular with the players. The dual players were disgusted at how bad the set-up was compared to the hurling.

Cuthbert won't resign and next year will be a disaster. Gene O Driscoll is unlikely to join the set-up IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

There is no way Cuthbert will resign. Another shít year for the footballers, guaranteed!!

I said from day one this was dissaster waiting to happen under cuthbhert,i got heavily critised here for being too pessimstic not giving him time judging him too early lack of suppport when all i done like i always do ,judge on what i see in front of me and call it realistically as i love,truly love cork gaa so i try to treat it with the honesty and realism it deserves imo.
    Look at where cork is now do we adopt the give it time and dare not criticse lark that serves cork gaa too well in the past.
    It was not hard to see cuthbhert was out of hes depth from day one with a management committee he picked that was in the majority like the boyscouts in terms of real,successful proven expierence.
    There is huge concerns from what i hear in the camp.
    Yet no one bats an eye in cork.
    No ex player questions cuthbhert??
    Larry tomplims ,slocum,teddy mac,very opinated in relation to dualism,mayo,cuthbhert getting criticsed etc yet no one bar eammon macsweeney questioned cuthbhet
    Would a top coach join this set up ??????you dont have to phone a friend or go 50/50 for that answer.
    As proven at last week county board meeting,the no reply to cusacks wonderful speech cork gaa doesnt do debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I was hoping that after the Mayo game things might improve but I've heard from 2 very reliable sources that this set-up is a disaster and that Cubby is very unpopular with the players. The dual players were disgusted at how bad the set-up was compared to the hurling.

Cuthbert won't resign and next year will be a disated. Gene O Driscoll is unlikely to join the set-up IMO.

Really from the noises I've heard that things were getting very bad altogether in the camp around the time before and after the Mayo game - Heard some of the football only lads, especially those who spent a lot of time on the bench are seriously annoyed with things - sitting on the bench watching lads who are spending half their time off hurling is bad enough to take even when they are playing ok, but when they are being picked despite being less committed and playing badly is a whole different kettle of fish. From what bits I've heard Cuthbert seems to be very poor in terms of managing the squad, particularly the lads outside the automatic starters. This is always a tricky one for GAA managers but he seems to be really weak in this area and I think he's hurt by the fact that was an area that Counihan was strong in.

Most of the time the talk I'd hear about how things are going over the border would be from relatives out that direction and there is always a serious tendency to be wary of the Cork lads by the border trying to sell us Kerry folk a pup, but I know a lad coaching a team elsewhere in Cork and the fact that he's hearing some of the same stories lead me to think the stories probably are legit. Also the fact that so many people are hearing negative stories at ground level is interesting, really leads me to think they most be a fair few disgruntled lads who aren't too bothered about maintaining the standard GAA squad omerta.

There are definitely lads considering their plans for next year and I really wouldn't be surprised to hear of some lads looking for work abroad/going travelling/taking a year out.

The fact that the county board are trying to use "work commitments" as Ronan McCarthy's excuse for moving on seems a bit odd as I'm pretty sure he's been a principal for a while now. Surely the board could simply had said nothing, as opposed to coming out with what looks like blatant nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Really from the noises I've heard that things were getting very bad altogether in the camp around the time before and after the Mayo game - Heard some of the football only lads, especially those who spent a lot of time on the bench are seriously annoyed with things - sitting on the bench watching lads who are spending half their time off hurling is bad enough to take even when they are playing ok, but when they are being picked despite being less committed and playing badly is a whole different kettle of fish. From what bits I've heard Cuthbert seems to be very poor in terms of managing the squad, particularly the lads outside the automatic starters. This is always a tricky one for GAA managers but he seems to be really weak in this area and I think he's hurt by the fact that was an area that Counihan was strong in.

Most of the time the talk I'd hear about how things are going over the border would be from relatives out that direction and there is always a serious tendency to be wary of the Cork lads by the border trying to sell us Kerry folk a pup, but I know a lad coaching a team elsewhere in Cork and the fact that he's hearing some of the same stories lead me to think the stories probably are legit. Also the fact that so many people are hearing negative stories at ground level is interesting, really leads me to think they most be a fair few disgruntled lads who aren't too bothered about maintaining the standard GAA squad omerta.

There are definitely lads considering their plans for next year and I really wouldn't be surprised to hear of some lads looking for work abroad/going travelling/taking a year out.

The fact that the county board are trying to use "work commitments" as Ronan McCarthy's excuse for moving on seems a bit odd as I'm pretty sure he's been a principal for a while now. Surely the board could simply had said nothing, as opposed to coming out with what looks like blatant nonsense.

This is McCarthy's first year as principal

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

Super post regarding the Minor panel.
    You are not far off the mark overall. Biggest problem will be knocking the status quo and remodeling a team with pace power to compete with the Likes of Kilkenny and waterford. The u16 set up this year was shambolic borne out by the results and selection issues. The kids like Treacy, Glesson, Aherne, Murphy were condemed to b sides. We have the hurlers, who have pace power and skill we just need to get them to the teams. Our system is clogged with parochialism and road blocks its all about who you know and who you can influence. If we can get over that obstacle we can start to be competitive at underage. Its strange that JBM can say that despite our lack of underage sucesss he is confident that we can still be competitive at senior an that we still produce players. The truth is that we produce players despite the system its almost like they break through by accident rather than design. JBM knows the score on this front he is hoping that they are a few more Harnedys in waiting somewhere. The are there trust me I have seen them on every underage field in the county. They are as good as kids in any county but we can't get them through the system. If you look at the senior final yesterday and see the pace power and intensity delivered for seventy minutes then ask youself would a Cork senior hurling team match either side for overall pace power and attitude. Not a hope in a month of Sunday's. The winter training panels will be selected for the underage teams in the upcoming weeks what odds on some of the players mentioned regurlary in this thread being exluded from those panels, fairly high I would think. Donal Og said we would be lucky to win an All Ireland before 2020 he won't be far wrong unless we change direction. We have devloped mediocrity for many years now. where are the fullbacks the centre backs the half backs gone. The Cashmans, the horgans the Rocks. where are they. What we have produced are shadows of those men and they simply are not good enough. The game has moved on it requires a different skilset we are locked in the past playing a beautiful game which may delight the purists but unfortunately will not win many titles. When a Laois underage team can out hurl and out muscle the suppossed cream of our u 16 crop then we have problems.

work commitments stuff is  as an  ovrerhyped excuse for he leaving imo.Yes he is going doing ,doing a masters apparently,i wish ronan nothing but the best but while it has a part to play it would be wrong to say its just that.
    This is the same county board posted on their website ger cunningham cork selector,while rumour and everbody knew was set to join limerick.

I said then ,that cunningham on the website meant nothing.Work commitments was also put down.
    It was the boards saving grace.
    Cork county board do propganda,public relations spin tremendously well.
    Michael moyinhan tweeted a huge story breaking in todays examiner last night,suddenly a typical county board response very late at night.
    You couldnt script it.It was known cork had at least one selector leaving.,i said a few weeks ago.
    Why not say it then but as soon as twitter broke  the board got in their ist .

Boom boom,i have heard some unbelievable stories of last years set up,saw ist hand some poor things in ul training camp,i said in may i saw things that concerned me with the training etc
    I was impressed by mccarthy though.
    Kerry,are laughing at us and i dont blame them.
    Cuthbhert will not resign,in fact will go for a new term,blames everything bar himself.
    This selector change plays him a trumph card,oh it caused disruption ,we had a lot to deal with last year be next years excuse,the usal excuses .

The clubs simply must stand  up and for once unite next year when hes term is up and demand a new voice.The cork media must be ruthless in its coverage,credit where due,but when something is wrong.,call a spade a spade question selection polices,midfied shambles not be the wise men,do it when the season ends,and actually say which bar one dublin paper,say is Cuthbhert up to it and.not make excuses.
    Again we must have honesty to call a spade a spade for cork to become truly great.

The best thing for cork is to get three away league trips to the north,games that will test and expose any flaws rather than two northern teams in cork last year,four home games,and created a false dawn that the fan club in the media and board jumped aboard when as i said after seven out of 8 league games our midfield was a shambles and we were in serious serious trouble,yet people glossed it over,worse again people think fintan gould should start again next year when he needs to be dropped of the panel next year.
    Cork will win the mcgrath cup,and naive fans ,the usal suspects.,will glorify it and say we have hope ,he turned a corner,when truth be told kerry couldnt give a monkies regards the mcgrath cup truth be told.
    Cork football at senior and minor is in a dark dark place imo.People had this utter nonense,dont blame cuthbhert picking wrong teams,he sees them in training he sees things we dont,some foolishly had belief in the orignal panel he named it was the best availble and their wasesnt a player in the county that didnt make it that should of been.

Im not jumping on the bandwagon ,when the horse has bolted,i said this from day one our management is poor compared to the top teams,but no some say the usal bull,pardon my french lads,but lets call a spade spade for once , cork dont have the talent as others do is a rubbish false incorrect myth.

Yet again clyda proved with limited rescources how far good coaching takes you.But oh ,they play ugly football they say.More bollo# imo.
    They play to their strengths,win games they have no right to win,they punch above their weight continually unlike the muskerrys ,barrs,skibs,etc,bishoptowns that flatter to decieve with more rescources,as when the going gets tough they stand up,and have a plan..The most pleasing thing regards clyda,they dont get too big for their boots,they are honest enough to tell you none of their players should be on the cork senior panel,as their not at that level,but for example go to muskerry and just cause liam shorten got three points v poor st nicks,they will try and convince you ,liam shorten is senior intercounty candiate.
    Bishopstown will try and convince denis crowley is our kieran donaghy.

Any team can win a game of football on a given day,very few can win a Battle,it takes a special team to do that time after time ,a special team formed by a special manager.Every game you read a preview,clyda are bizzarely the underdog.
    o donovan rossa were meant to win,i said clyda would win.
    Newestown were tipped to win,clyda won.There never given the credit they deserve.

Ned english got interviewed for the clare job,wouldnt even get an interview for the Cork minor job,hes face wont fit.Now im not sure what hes powerpoint skills are but he understands football from the inside out and builds teams around hard,resilent,huge work rate,and leaders.
    If cork had went with cleary and english cork would win an all ireland.

Its not rocket science,you must have shrewd management or you are truly pissing against the wind before you kick a ball.This is not a rant by the way,just a realstic down to earth view.

I dont actually blame cuthbhert much now ,i blame the county board for picking a boy to do a mans job that he simply despite passion,committment,wonderful powerpoint presentation in fairness ,great communiator on radio and in the paper,they do like him to be fair,he lacks the innovaton,ruthless execution,boldness,tacical know how and expierence,basic understanding of key princples of a game,abilty to read a games flow imo to become a top top,i mean top manager and doesnt inspire a panel but drains the belief and confidence out of them as seen by the changing and mess of the team all year.
    When the going got tough,cork were blown away by dublin,mayo(please dont glorify a one point defeat to a team there for the taking, blown away by kerry ,as they had no resilence due to a lack of believe in their set up.

I geuinely get no joy in saying it but whats the alternative dress up the shambles when people inside and outside the county know,as darragh o se said before sligo the cork camp is not a happy camp at all.
    He like our u 21 hurling manager,minor football  summaries everthing in a cv wrong with as liam griffin once said the cork county board school of management is unique,imo very hard to get in to it for some for others its like the civil service once your enrolled,its a job for life as you can get moved around different teams like in civil service different departments but your always on the staffing list.Cuthbhert,kenneally,donal o sullivan have been with many cork teams the last few years,with awful records of success.They will get any job they want though.To be fair to civil service ,you mess up though you must answer for it.

Kilshannig won the avondu final,by a point despite colm o neill being unmarkable,3-5,one a penalty ,some team peferomance,ist win since 96 ,ian rordain lifting the cup.

Hanlon was immense for them,and they play as a team.Paul flynn had a good game for ballyclough.

Congrats and i hope they win it now but you got to feel for colm o neill,i hope they beat dromtattiffe in the junior b hurling replay
    Castlemaytr won the east cork junior hurling,credit due ,they got to push on from last year and win the county now.East cork wont define them,they won last year but were poor in the county.The county will define how good they actually are?imo.After winning a few divisinal titles ,its nothing unless they win a county.

Kisssne,gene o driscoll etc would be ideal for cork but how much real  influence would they have with cutbhert running the show would they have.Gene imo has more expierence,proven winner.

If what i hear is true the replacement ,very much in the running is very poor and again no proven success but a vocal supporter of cuthbhert apperantly
    I hope it is not who i hear is linked to it.
    Ronan i would keep,but purely as a selector id drop don davis .
    We need two new men now.
    Thank our minor manager for trying ,but sack him,a very poor season,now im sorry limerick and waterford wins is not justifaction for a good season.

• Advertisement

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/podge-collins-football-1660377-Sep2014/

Davy laid down the law,the boys understandably had to go with the father.An admirable ruthless no nonense approach.He wouldnt allow it up to them what they decide.

Clare already miles ahead of us in.both codes before the new season starts,we have five next year,would.be seven if sheehan returned,and colm accepted the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 goalmouth

seventh7 wrote: »
    You are not far off the mark overall. Biggest problem will be knocking the status quo and remodeling a team with pace power to compete with the Likes of Kilkenny and waterford. The u16 set up this year was shambolic borne out by the results and selection issues. The kids like Treacy, Glesson, Aherne, Murphy were condemed to b sides. We have the hurlers, who have pace power and skill we just need to get them to the teams. Our system is clogged with parochialism and road blocks its all about who you know and who you can influence. If we can get over that obstacle we can start to be competitive at underage. Its strange that JBM can say that despite our lack of underage sucesss he is confident that we can still be competitive at senior an that we still produce players. The truth is that we produce players despite the system its almost like they break through by accident rather than design. JBM knows the score on this front he is hoping that they are a few more Harnedys in waiting somewhere. The are there trust me I have seen them on every underage field in the county. They are as good as kids in any county but we can't get them through the system. If you look at the senior final yesterday and see the pace power and intensity delivered for seventy minutes then ask youself would a Cork senior hurling team match either side for overall pace power and attitude. Not a hope in a month of Sunday's. The winter training panels will be selected for the underage teams in the upcoming weeks what odds on some of the players mentioned regurlary in this thread being exluded from those panels, fairly high I would think. Donal Og said we would be lucky to win an All Ireland before 2020 he won't be far wrong unless we change direction. We have devloped mediocrity for many years now. where are the fullbacks the centre backs the half backs gone. The Cashmans, the horgans the Rocks. where are they. What we have produced are shadows of those men and they simply are not good enough. The game has moved on it requires a different skilset we are locked in the past playing a beautiful game which may delight the purists but unfortunately will not win many titles. When a Laois underage team can out hurl and out muscle the suppossed cream of our u 16 crop then we have problems.

I agree with u totally but how can the get the best 24 in the county when they can't even pick the best players out of their own clubs

Are you actually serious Wille

Dualism complety failed last year both based on that you want eoin.cadogan,crippled by injuries to combine both.

He was far from yesterday.Is.he better than colm barry,jamie.nagle,Cormac murphy both aggressive.hurlers imo no way.
    Collins was good but look at level of hes opponent.

How in name of jesus when cork loose to kerry,enter the qualifer route,combine both.
    Cork hurlers dont need collins,michael o.sullivan,Anthony spillane john cronin.etc are much better options.

Sean hayes last year minor,like michael cahalane,pa callaghan last year,should added to the training panel,like lehane,colm o.riordain,austin glesson,ciaran sheehan etc were at that age
    Hayes shouldnt start every game,but slowly interrograted to senior,he imo has terrific potential.
    I agree eoin keane and kearney.were immense.

For a 18 or 19 yr old to come into a senior panel he would have to have bursting speed I'm certain that lad Hayes would struggle for that

seventh7 wrote: »

U posted that Laois beat the u16s this yr but the sad news is they beat our minors aswell in challenge match

Id disagree with that depends on the position he plays and he isnt slow or cumbersome,so blistering pace wont i have no doubt hinder this real talent.

He destroyed glynn of ucc in ist senior game for club,outstanding at minor v limerick,at club in intermediate ,minor and u 21.
    Walter walsh isnt exactly fast.
    As a player to develop as a target full forward he would be better, than mark collins and be a player with a future

He is hardly going to develop under the u 21 next year,lets be honest he may not even get a game as current management did not favour him,at minor.
    Im not on bout playing him as a corner back or corner forward,where pace is an essential commodity.
    Dowling,glynn,cronin are hardly greyhounds.Hayes like them have strengths suited to full forward imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

I would not worry too much about challange games but when in a do or die situation in an all Ireland u16 series with the pick of the "Best" we struggle then we must presume either we don't have the talent or we did not pick the best.
    Let's not be fooled we have the talent and the players we just don't seem to be able to put it together.
    Yet we persist with same mind set and profile continually repeating the same operation looking for a different outcome. Its smacks of madness. The academy is a fantastic idea but if you put the wrong material in at one end then you are not getting a finished product.

Laois beat cork in laois last year ,the current u 16 panel 4-18 to cork two ten at u 15,got 4-14 from play last year and won a tournament so their u 16are making upward constant progression,like waterfird.hurlers,limerick and donegal minors are reaping u 16 momentum on to minor.
    Critchely,plunkett,ger cunningham ul doing unbelievale work ,setanta programme funds them,and liam o neill when he leaves office no doubt carry on the great work and in 2016 will be a serious minor team

As for the minor challenge it was brutal weather,gale force winds,in three intervals,cork more than hd there own in it,missing key lads.
    Seventh is right,corks problems are purely down to coaching most of the time.

You can rotatve a garden,pick the weeds,level the ground,plant your apple trees,nourish them,help them blossom,then the apples go the wrong hands in a supermarket and the same attention or care isnt given,they get damaged in transit and a golden sweet crop tutns sour

That happens cork hurling at times.The golden crop of harvest that is wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

slingerz wrote: »
    This is McCarthy's first year as principal

I had thought he was principal for a few years
    work commitments stuff is  as an  ovrerhyped excuse for he leaving imo.Yes he is going doing ,doing a masters apparently,i wish ronan nothing but the best but while it has a part to play it would be wrong to say its just that.
    This is the same county board posted on their website ger cunningham cork selector,while rumour and everbody knew was set to join limerick.

Boom boom,i have heard some unbelievable stories of last years set up,saw ist hand some poor things in ul training camp,i said in may i saw things that concerned me with the training etc
    I was impressed by mccarthy though.
    Kerry,are laughing at us and i dont blame them.
    Cuthbhert will not resign,in fact will go for a new term,blames everything bar himself.
    This selector change plays him a trumph card,oh it caused disruption ,we had a lot to deal with last year be next years excuse,the usal excuses .

The clubs simply must stand  up and for once unite next year when hes term is up and demand a new voice.The cork media must be ruthless in its coverage,credit where due,but when something is wrong.,call a spade a spade question selection polices,midfied shambles not be the wise men,do it when the season ends,and actually say which bar one dublin paper,say is Cuthbhert up to it and.not make excuses.
    Again we must have honesty to call a spade a spade for cork to become truly great.

The best thing for cork is to get three away league trips to the north,games that will test and expose any flaws rather than two northern teams in cork last year,four home games,and created a false dawn that the fan club in the media and board jumped aboard when as i said after seven out of 8 league games our midfield was a shambles and we were in serious serious trouble,yet people glossed it over,worse again people think fintan gould should start again next year when he needs to be dropped of the panel next year.
    Cork will win the mcgrath cup,and naive fans ,the usal suspects.,will glorify it and say we have hope ,he turned a corner,when truth be told kerry couldnt give a monkies regards the mcgrath cup truth be told.
    Cork football at senior and minor is in a dark dark place imo.People had this utter nonense,dont blame cuthbhert picking wrong teams,he sees them in training he sees things we dont,some foolishly had belief in the orignal panel he named it was the best availble and their wasesnt a player in the county that didnt make it that should of been.

Im not jumping on the bandwagon ,when the horse has bolted,i said this from day one our management is poor compared to the top teams,but no some say the usal bull,pardon my french lads,but lets call a spade spade for once , cork dont have the talent as others do is a rubbish false incorrect myth.

Yet again clyda proved with limited rescources how far good coaching takes you.But oh ,they play ugly football they say.More bollo# imo.
    They play to their strengths,win games they have no right to win,they punch above their weight continually unlike the muskerrys ,barrs,skibs,etc,bishoptowns that flatter to decieve with more rescources,as when the going gets tough they stand up,and have a plan..The most pleasing thing regards clyda,they dont get too big for their boots,they are honest enough to tell you none of their players should be on the cork senior panel,as their not at that level,but for example go to muskerry and just cause liam shorten got three points v poor st nicks,they will try and convince you ,liam shorten is senior intercounty candiate.
    Bishopstown will try and convince denis crowley is our kieran donaghy.

Any team can win a game of football on a given day,very few can win a Battle,it takes a special team to do that time after time ,a special team formed by a special manager.Every game you read a preview,clyda are bizzarely the underdog.
    o donovan rossa were meant to win,i said clyda would win.
    Newestown were tipped to win,clyda won.There never given the credit they deserve.

Ned english got interviewed for the clare job,wouldnt even get an interview for the Cork minor job,hes face wont fit.Now im not sure what hes powerpoint skills are but he understands football from the inside out and builds teams around hard,resilent,huge work rate,and leaders.
    If cork had went with cleary and english cork would win an all ireland.

Its not rocket science,you must have shrewd management or you are truly pissing against the wind before you kick a ball.This is not a rant by the way,just a realstic down to earth view.

I dont actually blame cuthbhert much now ,i blame the county board for picking a boy to do a mans job that he simply despite passion,committment,wonderful powerpoint presentation in fairness ,great communiator on radio and in the paper,they do like him to be fair,he lacks the innovaton,ruthless execution,boldness,tacical know how and expierence,basic understanding of key princples of a game,abilty to read a games flow imo to become a top top,i mean top manager and doesnt inspire a panel but drains the belief and confidence out of them as seen by the changing and mess of the team all year.
    When the going got tough,cork were blown away by dublin,mayo(please dont glorify a one point defeat to a team there for the taking, blown away by kerry ,as they had no resilence due to a lack of believe in their set up.

I geuinely get no joy in saying it but whats the alternative dress up the shambles when people inside and outside the county know,as darragh o se said before sligo the cork camp is not a happy camp at all.
    He like our u 21 hurling manager,minor football  summaries everthing in a cv wrong with as liam griffin once said the cork county board school of management is unique,imo very hard to get in to it for some for others its like the civil service once your enrolled,its a job for life as you can get moved around different teams like in civil service different departments but your always on the staffing list.Cuthbhert,kenneally,donal o sullivan have been with many cork teams the last few years,with awful records of success.They will get any job they want though.To be fair to civil service ,you mess up though you must answer for it.

Kilshannig won the avondu final,by a point despite colm o neill being unmarkable,3-5,one a penalty ,some team peferomance,ist win since 96 ,ian rordain lifting the cup.

Hanlon was immense for them,and they play as a team.Paul flynn had a good game for ballyclough.

Congrats and i hope they win it now but you got to feel for colm o neill,i hope they beat dromtattiffe in the junior b hurling replay
    Castlemaytr won the east cork junior hurling,credit due ,they got to push on from last year and win the county now.East cork wont define them,they won last year but were poor in the county.The county will define how good they actually are?imo.After winning a few divisinal titles ,its nothing unless they win a county.

Kisssne,gene o driscoll etc would be ideal for cork but how much real  influence would they have with cutbhert running the show would they have.Gene imo has more expierence,proven winner.

If what i hear is true the replacement ,very much in the running is very poor and again no proven success but a vocal supporter of cuthbhert apperantly
    I hope it is not who i hear is linked to it.
    Ronan i would keep,but purely as a selector id drop don davis .
    We need two new men now.
    Thank our minor manager for trying ,but sack him,a very poor season,now im sorry limerick and waterford wins is not justifaction for a good season.

I'm sure the masters could have been fairly easily delayed a year if necessary.

I wouldn't say us Kerry folk are laughing; we know that even if the camp is in total disarray next year in Killarney the Cork lads will be hugely focused on not being embarrassed twice in a row and that there will be enough decent footballers to make a fight of it. However don't be too surprised if on the day Frank does finally go (however far in the future that may be) that he gets a truck-load or two of praise from lads in the Kingdom. :)

The thing is that by rights the Cork County Board should be the natural number 2 in the pecking order to the Dublin County Board in terms of marketing, money, sponsorship, organisation but instead it's almost the complete opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Laois are flying at underage, but that U-16 team only beat Cork, which hardly bodes well.

• Advertisement

At the end of the day if its what mccarty wants then you must respect that ,i just find the timing of it,in a dreadful year,a selector leaves.
    I dont blame maccarthy ,if he wants to leave  you would wonder is their more to it.
    As regards kerry, contesting in the junior,senior,and minor all ireland finals,thats a good year kerry contested,all ireland schools,a number on the ucc panel that won the fitzgibbon,tomas o se winning a freshers and being groomed for future kerry jobs,Donie buckley will finally sort out yere u 21 shambles kerry football irrespective of sunday week the overhealth of kerry football is in a much better state but kerry will have to win one,the senior for most in kerry to think that,see in kerry they have high standards,in cork some accept and glorify worse results than kerry like there is no tommorrow. Some in Cork accepts medicority,worse again tries to glorify it as better than it actually is.

Our young talent deserves modern coaching.
    Keep the u 21 and junior as it as cork for now are fine their
    When morgan goes ,he should stay for as lobg as he wants to..hopefully tomas o se take the reins at ucc  at fitzgibbon but have a young coach as hes assistant and learn hes methods etc as tomas will be involved in a kerry team down the line.
    Keep your friends close and your enemies closer so to speak.
    Ucc,a colledge outfit have better managers in charge of their teams than cork.

The way we are unless we act fast and change things,kerry will dominate munster senior football for the next five years and do untold irrervesarl damage to our golden talent availble by constantly beating us at  senior,that when we do get a good manager our new generation used to beating kerry constantly at u21
    will develop an inferior superioty complex at senior in the big games against Kerry imo.

The echo last night,what a splendid articulate, a bold ruthless shrewd match report on kilkenny v tipp,a reporter i admire greatly,by Sarah O'Donovan and she writes some terrfic articles which is great to see her get a spot on the back sports pages, the main area for gaa coverage in that paper.
    She is better than some of the men who write imo.
    I hope she gets more articles there.
    A woman with my own values in she spoke of three crucuial values, the ruthless  qualites of cody and fitzmautrice in dropping hes friend Marc O Se and how JBM was not ruthless last year and  he simply must be next year,how dualism is a failure ,she was one of the first cork media to from day one speak against it, and said hunger was a key value something cork havent got to yet in the levels kilkenny have.
    She said also cody said forwards that cant win their own ball are a luxury.
    She correctly said cork could learn lessons from yesterdays game.
    A splendid imo article by the ex cork camoige player.
    Huge week for cork camoige v kilkenny, it should be a cracking game.
    When you see characthers like aishling thompson,anna geary,angela walsh,briege corkery,i would think its certainly not beyond cork against what is meant to be a super kilkenny team to win.
    I see kilkenny are in the intermediate v limerick also.
    Limerick winning all irelands is a rare rare commodity at any level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement