Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Its ironic to hear many soccer fans  who are Cork GAA fans also have two different views when anayalsing a manager.One example is,the Celtic manager has no top level expierence and Celtic football is too big a club for him and has no like Moyles at Man Utd,no big club expierence,and is out of hes depth.
    I can totally see their point.

A lot of Cork gaa fans support soccer,Man Utd,etc and craved the ruthless decision by the board to call time on Moyles when after one year it was clear as day Moyles was out of hes Depth as Man United Manager.Man utd pride themselves on Loyalty,but there came a day when enough was enough.

Yet our football manager is the same,but unlike Delia even at poorer management levels,Cuthbhert has a poor record,with Bishoptown and Ballyclough in a junior championship.You could to be fair say Cody had a poor club record prior to the Kilkenny job and did loose hes ist  finals,but Cody brought in the right men as selectors to help him something Cuthbhert failed to do.

Cuthbhert picked Household names as players and tried to convince everyone this was a dream team,similar to the FAI appointent of Steve Staunton and Bobby Robson(RIP),and said it was a world class appointment,unfotunately as time proved ,they fooled no one but themselves with their naive,poor set up..I fear a similar scenario with Cork Football.

A lot of Celtic fans doubted Delia after Europes night mare in champions league and its understandable for them after such hammering to have grave concerns with the Manager.Rightfully so he will get zero credit if they win a Scottish title as by the bookies 1/50 on  ,with no Rangers in it ,its Mininum expectation.Yet if cork won a National League tiltle it be overglorifed in some quarters .

Yet In Cork football some say we made a miracoulus recovery in beating Sligo and then against Mayo.Imo its not accurate .
    A lot of hardcore fans say if celtic wins the league,its not real redemption.European football is the ultmiate goal as Scottish soccer is so one sided,its very poor

I said it here before the Sligo game,we would at worst struggle to beat them but would win.Its Sligo in fairness .Simply a game that had just be gotten out the way.

Our manager had nearly  a year in the job, training camps etc,yet the talk  is give him time,its year one despite many accecpting a Munster Final and Competitve all ireland semi be a realistic target.Cork didnt come close to it.

Yes soccer and GAA cultures are different but i can never imo understand the irony and contradictions in expectations of Success and failure at management level in terms of Soccer clubs they support but may do to logical reasons just get the chance to go to a handful of games per year , yet they demand and expect so much more of that soccer team ,yet their Local Intercounty team,that they go to game after game,they are less expectatinol in their evaualtions,and say give them time.

Yet a soccer club so far away across the waters ,there not performing,no excuses are made.Realism normally kicks in.

Yet  our history at times we make excuse after excuse despite the Glaring obivous staring us in the face,not once,not even twice but sadly time and again.

Westmeath after a poor year loosing all 12 matches sacked Paul Bealin , he has way more Intercounty manager and Club expierence then all our five selectors even have put together to be truthful.

Westmeath are a poor team but have no rescources like Cork Football both on and off the field.Westmeath even don't accept failure,have a mininum standard from their manager,and expect and demand better and credit due are ruthless to make bold correct decisions for the greater good of Westmeath football.Fair play to them.I wish them the best in the future.They won't win an All Ireland or leinster next year but likey to improve from last year.

Cork won't win the all ireland next year,unlikey to do what better coached Cork teams could not do,win in Killarney,and while we were so bad this year,we surely can only improve  yes,the Worry is the other Top teams will also Improve but More So than Cork that we are still behind the Chasing Pack.If we win Munster ,ulster champions in the all ireland semi final.

Cork did not loose 12 games but without the Gooch  for Kerry at home  down in Cork,Cork were blown away by Kerry,scraped home against a younger Tippereary at home,unconvincing v Sligo ,and like wise against Mayo despite a lovely mix of expierenced all ireland winners and young rich talent in the Panel.

A lot of  excuses,that we lost a load of expierence due to retirements.Lets put this in to Perspective.

Fair point we lost some but we had 6 Senior All Ireland Winners on the field of play.from the start,8 at one point,and Clancy,Cahalane,Hurley ,Collins all in their second year if not more.
    Loughrey is in year two,but had many years with Antrim previosly in the Coalface of Ulster football.
    This despite some trying to paint a flawed picture that Cork overall had a young inexpierenced team as an excuse.

The Cork 1966, 1999 Hurling teams,Clare 2013 team,Kerry football team 1975 All Ireland Winning Teams and even the hurlers last year under JBM justifed that label this currrent senior team despite some inexpierence in positions overall does not justify the tag,inexpierence and retirements on a player level was a key factor to Cork's poor season.

Inexpierence at management was more of a huge factor yet its rarely mentioned .

Micko O' Dwyer had a shocking league in 1975,and many kerry fans and some club men wanted him out.That year in 1975 he won the All Ireland with Kerry,the youngest ever Senior All Ireland Winning Kerry team an average age of 21.5 aproxiatemely.

Micko's championship saved him.
    He learned the lessons of the league,changed the team,Crucially he did  not wait til the last minute to change the game plan,he did not expect to do it in two weeks,he had  trained them for 27 so Consecutive Nights which at that time in the Ameuteaur days was simply unheard of,he was truly a manager ahead of he's time.
    He won the All Ireland U21 with the team also so the players truly believed in Micko thus they bought in to him despite a rocky start.

In Kerry,they Always Expect More.In the homecoming in Killarney,he said ,this is only the start of it.It was,as they Won another Magnificent Seven All Irelands in he's reign for them.39 years Later to this Current Time, James O'Donoughe said your Nothing as a Kerry Footballer Without Senior All Irelands medals.A Lifelong legacy of Thought ,passed from Generation to Generation with a smooth ease and transition,like Sebastion Vettel changing gears in he's car,effortless.

In Cork,its the opposite,the League is taken as Gospel ,yet Championship isn't as scrutinsed as it should be.Its Cork football old  cliche ,traditonally we do not win many Senior All Irelands,so we have No Right to Expect too much when things go wrong.

In summary the league totally flattered to decieve Cork.
    Yet unbelievably some had us as the second best team to Dublin.Now some say the league decieved them.The signs,I said many times then were their for all to see during the league .

Add in the various other scenarios in  players dropped or leaving the panel,dualism,blaming the players,the comments issue with mayo,in a nutshell it has been a dissastourous year imo for Cork Senior Football,went from one Calamity to Another.

I would never want after one game a manager to be sacked ,or even a few months but surely after year one when we have failed ,greatly underachieved,a Serious Review of Mangement should be done.

Im 200% convinced the football  talent is Currently in Cork to Win an 8th All ireland,but I pray to God it is not wasted .
    Fitzmaurice said yeterday  after winning,he wanted to win all irelands,and they are off the mark,statement of intent,they want more.Cork should not accept  one every 20 years.It deserves better.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭solwhit2

shockframe wrote: »
    Far be it from me to ask but seriously a disgrace under Morgan - one of the best managers in the game?

I never said billy Morgan was a bad manager all I was saying that Cuthbert and this team weren't the first cork team to get hammered by kerry .

To compare cuthbhert and morgan is worlds,worlds apart.
    All great managers get hammered,cody,jack o connor etc ,but when they do it is just normally a once off and they have justufable proven records you can put your trust in ,faith and belief to turn it around.

Can you please tell me what have Ciaran o sullivan,Eoin sexton,Don Davis and Brian Cuthbhert purely as managers at any level at club or county won or even done???

And theres a beating,then there is a slaughtering as joe brolly said,our worst defeat since 1979 in cork at home to kerry,without the gooach.
    Clare tested kerey,we did not.

Its ironic to hear many soccer fans  who are Cork GAA fans also have two different views when anayalsing a manager.One example is,the Celtic manager has no top level expierence and Celtic football is too big a club for him and has no like Moyles at Man Utd,no big club expierence,and is out of hes depth.
    I can totally see their point.

A lot of Cork gaa fans support soccer,Man Utd,etc and craved the ruthless decision by the board to call time on Moyles when after one year it was clear as day Moyles was out of hes Depth as Man United Manager.Man utd pride themselves on Loyalty,but there came a day when enough was enough.

Yet our football manager is the same,but unlike Delia even at poorer management levels,Cuthbhert has a poor record,with Bishoptown and Ballyclough in a junior championship.You could to be fair say Cody had a poor club record prior to the Kilkenny job and did loose hes ist  finals,but Cody brought in the right men as selectors to help him something Cuthbhert failed to do.

Cuthbhert picked Household names as players and tried to convince everyone this was a dream team,similar to the FAI appointent of Steve Staunton and Bobby Robson(RIP),and said it was a world class appointment,unfotunately as time proved ,they fooled no one but themselves with their naive,poor set up..I fear a similar scenario with Cork Football.

A lot of Celtic fans doubted Delia after Europes night mare in champions league and its understandable for them after such hammering to have grave concerns with the Manager.Rightfully so he will get zero credit if they win a Scottish title as by the bookies 1/50 on  ,with no Rangers in it ,its Mininum expectation.Yet if cork won a National League tiltle it be overglorifed in some quarters .

Yet In Cork football some say we made a miracoulus recovery in beating Sligo and then against Mayo.Imo its not accurate .
    A lot of hardcore fans say if celtic wins the league,its not real redemption.European football is the ultmiate goal as Scottish soccer is so one sided,its very poor

I said it here before the Sligo game,we would at worst struggle to beat them but would win.Its Sligo in fairness .Simply a game that had just be gotten out the way.

Our manager had nearly  a year in the job, training camps etc,yet the talk  is give him time,its year one despite many accecpting a Munster Final and Competitve all ireland semi be a realistic target.Cork didnt come close to it.

Yes soccer and GAA cultures are different but i can never imo understand the irony and contradictions in expectations of Success and failure at management level in terms of Soccer clubs they support but may do to logical reasons just get the chance to go to a handful of games per year , yet they demand and expect so much more of that soccer team ,yet their Local Intercounty team,that they go to game after game,they are less expectatinol in their evaualtions,and say give them time.

Yet a soccer club so far away across the waters ,there not performing,no excuses are made.Realism normally kicks in.

Yet  our history at times we make excuse after excuse despite the Glaring obivous staring us in the face,not once,not even twice but sadly time and again.

Westmeath after a poor year loosing all 12 matches sacked Paul Bealin , he has way more Intercounty manager and Club expierence then all our five selectors even have put together to be truthful.

Westmeath are a poor team but have no rescources like Cork Football both on and off the field.Westmeath even don't accept failure,have a mininum standard from their manager,and expect and demand better and credit due are ruthless to make bold correct decisions for the greater good of Westmeath football.Fair play to them.I wish them the best in the future.They won't win an All Ireland or leinster next year but likey to improve from last year.

Cork won't win the all ireland next year,unlikey to do what better coached Cork teams could not do,win in Killarney,and while we were so bad this year,we surely can only improve  yes,the Worry is the other Top teams will also Improve but More So than Cork that we are still behind the Chasing Pack.If we win Munster ,ulster champions in the all ireland semi final.

Cork did not loose 12 games but without the Gooch  for Kerry at home  down in Cork,Cork were blown away by Kerry,scraped home against a younger Tippereary at home,unconvincing v Sligo ,and like wise against Mayo despite a lovely mix of expierenced all ireland winners and young rich talent in the Panel.

A lot of  excuses,that we lost a load of expierence due to retirements.Lets put this in to Perspective.

Fair point we lost some but we had 6 Senior All Ireland Winners on the field of play.from the start,8 at one point,and Clancy,Cahalane,Hurley ,Collins all in their second year if not more.
    Loughrey is in year two,but had many years with Antrim previosly in the Coalface of Ulster football.
    This despite some trying to paint a flawed picture that Cork overall had a young inexpierenced team as an excuse.

The Cork 1966, 1999 Hurling teams,Clare 2013 team,Kerry football team 1975 All Ireland Winning Teams and even the hurlers last year under JBM justifed that label this currrent senior team despite some inexpierence in positions overall does not justify the tag,inexpierence and retirements on a player level was a key factor to Cork's poor season.

Inexpierence at management was more of a huge factor yet its rarely mentioned .

Micko O' Dwyer had a shocking league in 1975,and many kerry fans and some club men wanted him out.That year in 1975 he won the All Ireland with Kerry,the youngest ever Senior All Ireland Winning Kerry team an average age of 21.5 aproxiatemely.

Micko's championship saved him.
    He learned the lessons of the league,changed the team,Crucially he did  not wait til the last minute to change the game plan,he did not expect to do it in two weeks,he had  trained them for 27 so Consecutive Nights which at that time in the Ameuteaur days was simply unheard of,he was truly a manager ahead of he's time.
    He won the All Ireland U21 with the team also so the players truly believed in Micko thus they bought in to him despite a rocky start.

In Kerry,they Always Expect More.In the homecoming in Killarney,he said ,this is only the start of it.It was,as they Won another Magnificent Seven All Irelands in he's reign for them.39 years Later to this Current Time, James O'Donoughe said your Nothing as a Kerry Footballer Without Senior All Irelands medals.A Lifelong legacy of Thought ,passed from Generation to Generation with a smooth ease and transition,like Sebastion Vettel changing gears in he's car,effortless.

In Cork,its the opposite,the League is taken as Gospel ,yet Championship isn't as scrutinsed as it should be.Its Cork football old  cliche ,traditonally we do not win many Senior All Irelands,so we have No Right to Expect too much when things go wrong.

In summary the league totally flattered to decieve Cork.
    Yet unbelievably some had us as the second best team to Dublin.Now some say the league decieved them.The signs,I said many times then were their for all to see during the league .

Add in the various other scenarios in  players dropped or leaving the panel,dualism,blaming the players,the comments issue with mayo,in a nutshell it has been a dissastourous year imo for Cork Senior Football,went from one Calamity to Another.

I would never want after one game a manager to be sacked ,or even a few months but surely after year one when we have failed ,greatly underachieved,a Serious Review of Mangement should be done.

Im 200% convinced the football  talent is Currently in Cork to Win an 8th All ireland,but I pray to God it is not wasted .
    Fitzmaurice said yeterday  after winning,he wanted to win all irelands,and they are off the mark,statement of intent,they want more.Cork should not accept  one every 20 years.It deserves better.

Man utd are as bad this year under van gaal a man who has managed all the big clubs in Europe.why because he has a poor defence and centre midfield.I grant you that the manager can do a certain amount but at the end it's the player's that have to go out and play .

• Advertisement

Van gal has proven many tines hes record with clubs,and internatopnally and has Always started slow.
    Look what he done when he came,made world class signings a statement of intent,has the ruthless execution.to sell wellbeck as proven again last week he misses more than.he scores against the top teams.
    Cuthbhert appoinred 3 novices to managemenr,hoping they wouls learn fast

Of course wellbeck will probaly bag a hat trick against west brom , but not that top top forward.

United will under van gal turn a corner and will get a.champions league place.It is only five games in,judge van gal after a year .

Cork have wonderful defenders.
    You still havent answered my question,what have cuthbhert and co actually won????
    Donegal in 2010 and 2011 were worlds apart,down to an awful manager in doherty and a great one in mcguinness

Blaming players is a lazy excuse to hide blame from poor managers faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Well slingrez,it no suprise at this stage me and you have quite different views,Personally ,i feel i.have a higher standard,just my opionion how i rate players,and teams success as actual success.

Kelly was superb yesterday,actually the score,examiner,echo,radio today all said it.
    Now if you think buckley was good on him,imo your views on good centre back play are debatable to say the least.

Laoire isnt a centre forward,and actually fought til the end.
    Shorten who you try and convince is cork standard before was awful,even muskerry lads said it.

Dorgan yes you got that right was good but dont get carried away,not intercounty,lets keep it real.

Gould i said was excellent but i would drop him from the cork panel as too many times for cork.in big games hes goes missing.

I respect admire,your a muskerry man,but we cant have 8 lads on a cork team etc just cause their muskerry.Cian kiely was superb.

You dont hear me advocating all north cork lads,as at the end of the day ,club loyalty must go out the window,all that matters is imo whats right for cork football going forward

Buckley did well on Kelly considering the quality of footballer that Kelly is. You dont face many of the calibre of Paddy Kelly.There is a lack of quality defenders in Cork at present so he would be a player that would be considered for involvement in trial games/McGrath cup.

Laoire isnt a centre forward but also spent time at wing forward and centre field and failed to get involved anywhere. He didnt win any ball of note in any of those positions and looked far from being an option as a senior intercounty midfielder compared to Gould or Kiely. Liam Shorten also had a poor outing but was probably inhibited by the need to have him play as a sweeper, no point in having him back in the full back line at all. Is he intercounty standard, most likely not but his club performances at Premier Intermediate called for him to be taken into consideration. Dropping Fintan Goold because he hasnt performed for Cork on the big days is all well and good but there is no point in doing so unless you have a viable alternative that has shown themselves to be a better midfield option that him. Compared to O'Laoire and Kiely on Sunday, he was still the most commanding midfielder on show.

Noone is suggesting Dorgan should be on the Senior team but he did play well on the night for his club. Pretty simple statement really. Cian Kiely played well and is showing good potential but he will need to development with the U21's before being considered for the senior team.

As for having Muskerry players on the Senior side, outisde of Goulding, Goold, Kelly, Kiely, Galvin, Vaughan and Sheehan if he was around I would imagine any others would need to be some serious developing to be involved. But outisde of those already on the matchday panel or the extended training panel there isnt many other alternatives that are clearly stating a claim for plausible inclusion or consideration anywhere in the county.

He has won nothing but all I think is that he should be judged after next year .jimmy Barry Murphy first year back in 96 when limerick hammered them it took until 98 to get going. Maybe Cuthbert needs a bit of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

sean mac wrote: »
    Great idea from the ex players and finally at a semi official level an acknowledgement of the importance of thecity/suburbs to cork hurling and of course the area of school hurling. HOWEVER where is the official support? I notice the schools crowd had their own laucng on wed night without even a word about this new competition, nothing on the ccb or rebel og sites and not even a whisper on twitter. For this worthy project to work it needs SUPPORT, mainly in terms of money, training gear, coaching support from the gda's etc
    If this happens hopefully some of these amalgamations can get into the harty cup and play at a serious level, unlike the sad situation where the mon ag are like lambs to the slaughter again in the harty this year.
    As for the dualism, I understand that the penny has dropped and the backbone has been developed to deal with this situation and ask/tell the players involved to choose their sport. Unfortunately it is likely that the football team will lose out in terms of players, but its better to have 30 totally dedicated players, the amount of training/challenges the dualists missed in the summer was unbelievable and as I suspected really pissed off some players

Don't write off the AG north mon just yet. Last week they over came a Midelton CBS side in carrigtowhill in a cracking game. 1-14 to 14 pts. Brothers Dan and Eddie Gunning, Dayne lee, Adam O'Sullivan, Killian Aherne, etc form the backbone of an interesting squad with the addition of Aherne giving them some cutting edge.

Shorten doesnt have the scoring of o neil,goulding,vaughan,hodnett,hurley,donnachs,dan mac eoin etc and never will.A brave,committed player he is.
    He is a top coach and with ad mhuire i know he was well regarded with last years harty cup teams.I hope in time he goes in to coaching.
    My views are match a job with talent to do that job.

To a lesser extent,david gould,barry o.driscoll.sam oakes much better than him

Buckely is miles of intercounty,The top centre backs would find s way to limit top players.
    Loughrey even a better defender than buckley that.says it all

Two clancys,sean white,dorman,crowley,brian o driscoll,sullivan clyda better than buckely

Cahalane if fit and one code,best centre back in cork,has been the last three years.

Gould is 28 or so,has not the dogness within or big game resolve to do it in big games
    As much as kiely wasnt great,sunday hes young,and can be developed and maguire ,kiely,Dinneen,all deserve a fair crack now.
    Laoire never got a chance and was supberb at u 21.All im asking is laoire gets three games.
    Deane when fit deserves a recall.
    Moran ,maher,buckley wont lie awake worrying bout gould they well and truly have hes number.
    Its simple gould is not the answer,so you develop someone who can be .
    Killan hanlonan,an outside bolter imo for a place ,has real bite and grit,i see potential in him .
    Paul flynn i would look at again,never got a chance with counihan.
    If you had good coaching in cork,these lads would develop further.

I agree totally,goulding,vaughan,etc well up for it.
    There is some fine talent in muskerry indvidually, as a division flatter to decieve time and again Michael desmond will be superb in time  if they develop him,and tony.leahy at cil na matra will develop hes game further,This lad can ,kick,catch,a.real warrior.
    Peter kelleher has potential,need to forget bout hurling though.
    Brian shanhan deserves a look at full back for cover,with carbery.

• Advertisement

Superb win for hamilton 4-16 to roscrea 5-7 in the Munster B u16 and half hurling today.
    Great start for cork schools with the Dean ryan cup tommorrow with charville v clonmel and midelton the holders v a very good nenagh team.Charville won the kinnane cup last year
    Best of luck to both

Seventh were you at the classic minor final last night??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

solwhit2 wrote: »
    He has won nothing but all I think is that he should be judged after next year .jimmy Barry Murphy first year back in 96 when limerick hammered them it took until 98 to get going. Maybe Cuthbert needs a bit of time.

Cuthbert is not good enough. Never was,never will be. It would be good for Cork football if he just went away as fast as possible, but unfortunately this won't happen. He needs to realise he is not dealing with children and how to manage a game when under pressure both of which he is clearly incapable of doing. Bluffer of the highest order, he really is seriously out of his depth.

2015 betting has cork fourth favs to win the all ireland at 15/2
    I thought the bookies were normally on the ball.
    It has tyrone at 22 /1.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/brian-cuthbert-embarking-on-an-exciting-mission-with-new-look-cork-1.1759287?page=1

One of cuthbherts interviews.
    Sounds great back but hes all in  to sports physcolgy,empowerment etc,I do geuinely admire and respect him for that,but to me i wonder is it just all talk,bar minor final with cork,nothing at club stands out in hes managerial career.

Now compare english interview,
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/duhallow-boss-reaping-his-rewards-212154.html

Some same views regards player empowerment,but much more advanced in how to actual coach skills but above all english has a proven record,two county titles,two munsters,coached ucc etc,way more expiernce as a coach.

Cleary, and english would have been a dream pairing,and cleary wanted Ned with him.
    Cuthbhert in hes interview spoke of wanting his team to die with their boots on the field for him.
    Its all talk imo ,,Theres is a sayings in life,the saying all hair oil no socks,imo it spring to mind with the talk of how things would be done ,and how they actually were done.

Perfomances have not backed it up,a league hammering to mayo,a huge loss to dublin,a slaughtering by kerry,hardly a team that dies on the field for a manager,like clyda who would die for english on the field,a man that had offers before clyda,big clubs huge money if true,to coach ,but he choose clyda,doesnt even claim expenses.

They would go through anything for him.He is ruthless,see where in the interview he says some gaa men are  -“Whimps“
    He would clear out this soft nice mentatily in cork,pick tough characthers,and develop them further.
    He would end dualsim,drop at least four imo of the current panel,wouldnt do club loyalties etc.He would actually develop aidan walsh and make him the complete footballer.Its now or never for walsh,Reaching that age.
    English and cleary have this ability to make poor footballers good,good footballers great.Cuthbhert made good footballers look poor this year.
    He has the want to be a great coach,i dont doubt it.
    But want is not enough ,you need a skillset.I want to be superman,but i dont have the power,so i wont jump of a building,thinking i can fly,otherwise I fall flat on my face.

To use cuthbherts words,players die on the field with their boots on,how could that spirt be evoked in a team with the treatment of Andrew Sullivan, playing andrew sul all year long he then dropping him for the championship making him the fall guy imo,he.should never started but then he was discarded.No wonder he walked away from the panel.
    Paddy kelly had issues with the management,was shorn of confidence playing for cork,went out for club a week later,was outstanding,again last week to prove a point.
    Sean dinneen,was asked to join,he did, despite farming, a young family, brillant v meath in a challenge and another challenge game yet no chance with championship.
    Blaming players in the media,without realising he was the reason we had lost for woefully ignoring the midfield criisis,not Once ,not twice not even three times but every mcgrath cup game,league and championship.
    Any poster knows i criticised our midfield after every single game,yet our management set up couldnt see what stared them in the face.
    He left colm o.neill our best forward ,outstanding v sligo,mayo,warm hes arse on the bench ,
    The average forward at intercounty john hayes started ahead of better younger forwards during the season.
    Hayes is fine against a poor barrs team or clonakilty, but against mayo,kerry,donegal he as an intercounty player is not up to it.

He said every player would get a fair chance under him.Thats false,no one in the Media questioned him on that ??inMichael laoire never started, never got fair a chance.Deane when fit,wasnt rated,left out of the ist panel,the got in,but yet bar westmeath didnt start him,and never with walsh,yet he outperformed andrew sullivan in that game.
    The one time gould played well he dropped him.Im sorry but he does not inspire true belief in me.

People need to get real with respect,in this lark give him time,kerry are evolving all the time,with the Gooch and tommy walsh set to return next year,the improvement in the young players,we are so far behind,we can ill afford to let another year go away.
    kerry will reach 40,at 37 now before we reach 8 with this give him time lark.
    How much time do we give him??seven years like Larry tompkins.

Some are missing one crucial point.Cork if we got to a semi,won.munster this year,he earned the give it time mantra.
    But we imo FAILED DRASTICALLY IN REACHING MININIUM STANDARDS,scraped by tipp at home,Slaughtered by kerry at home -Unconvincing v sligo who couldnt score in a monkies with respect to them,and destroyed by mayo in most aeras,but saved by mayos lack of real firepower bar the majestic killan o.connor.

Cleary is  a superb man manager,huge insight in to attacking football would be a perfect blend with english.A dream fit.
    Cuthbhert said he wanted guys to help him sell hes views,if it was a sales product i wouldnt buy,as no value as none of them have winning expierence.

Look at cleary,countys with haven,two all irelands,ten munsters or so at u 21,English won a munster senior club with clyda,dromcolloger,dismissed the myth divisions dont do well by getting duhallow to a final.
    Muskerry comfort them selves, in ah its hard for divisions after the hammering sunday.
    Duhallow got to the county final in 2012under English.UCC same problems won 2011
    Ucc won it in 1999.Duhallow won two in a row in the 90s.
    Muskerry are 45 years without a win,be well over 50 if there lucky to win it.
    They cod themselves they had a good year.In truth,an average year,nicks wouldnt count as a real win imo as their poo.Muskerry wont win a county in half their problem,they cod themselves thinking there better than what they are.

jbm has two huge differences to Cuthbhert,ist he Acutally Won something ,An all ireland minor in 1995,blew kilkenny away ,won by 11 points in the final.
    Jbm also to learn the trade had Fred sheedy with him,won senior with Avondu in 1997.
    Jbm had to buit a team from scracth in the 96 team was old.

He got competive in 97,98.
    Cuthbhert has no such excuse.
    He had six senior all ireland winners,then ended with
    8 in the humilation to kerry at home.
    He brought in no proven coach.That was cuthberts own call.I said it then,,that he had to pick an expierenced selection set up.He failed dismally here.That was hes call,soley hes call,so he must take Full and Sole ownership for the flaw.He preaches Empowerment in hes interviews,fair point but you must have Leadership too and Tactical Innovation.

Imo for him to get a new term my mininum standards are as follows
    I want a top,proven coach with him
    Hayes,gould,o driscoll,etc dropped.I cant believe some fans are so foolish,ignorant to past history,they see gould as a forward,where he failed to perform many times.Midfied or half back was the only position for him.
    Dualism ended bar maybee Aidan Walsh .
    Mayo,dublin,at home we must win,any two away northern games,and to win in kerry in Munster,and get to an all ireland semi and be competive.

He must Get a stable,coherent,effective midfield,with a defined systmatic style of play.
    Do all,not just one,and i would fully back him ,in a new term,as we would have real hope,caused he would have learned,evolved and adapted from hes mistakes like the great,i mean the really great,great managers.
    I would love him to do it,as it means cork football gains but i fear he wont do it it even come close to doing it, nothing he has done gives me any confidence or hope for next year.

Cuthbhert did not get the job on merit,results based,as english said in that wonderful interview,any cork football fan would do worse than read it,cork jobs are hirreachly given.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Legened

I have seen James fitz from carbery rangers against castlehaven twice and against clon I thought he was very good midfield , big strong guy who can deliver a good ball . Never got game time under counihilan would like to see him get another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Legened wrote: »
    I have seen James fitz from carbery rangers against castlehaven twice and against clon I thought he was very good midfield , big strong guy who can deliver a good ball . Never got game time under counihilan would like to see him get another chance.

Extremely slow.

Are Rochestown in the A or B in the U-16? Websites says both.

I would give charville a good chance today,white cup winners last year beating flannans ,in the final ,in the,dean ryan cup today.
    St flannans were very good,proved by their big win yesterday in the dean ryan cup.

Charville are a very good team,good hurlers down the middle,conor buckley in goal,full back jack meade,centre back jack callaghan all charville.

John geary,newtown,jamie copps ballyhea are a good midfield and david jones ,newtown,tom hanley ballyhea and james fitzgerald limerick are good forwards.
    Clonmel had good rice cup teams at u 14 the last few years.

Hopefully midelton win also,good chance of two wins.
    The tie of the day imo is thurles rice cup winners 2013 v ard scoil.
    Dean ryan is a great competion.

As far as im aware rochestown were down to play youghal in the A but not today.
    Colmans got a bye to the quater final.
    Very important one cork school makes the final,whichever school it is.

http://www.gaacork.ie/news/304497/County_Hurling_Football_Championship_Programme

Have charville been thrown out of the u 21 hurling championship
    As it says here duhallow play newton in county quater final tuesday or is it an error?
    I hope they haven't

They still have to play newtown in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

TTM, I see peter McNamara gives a good write up to ned English in the echo today, hardly a sign that his buddy Cuthbert is bringing him into the team? I doubt it but Christ its depressing discussing the senior team at the moment with the future so dim under the top tables favoured candidate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

http://www.gaacork.ie/news/304497/County_Hurling_Football_Championship_Programme

Have charville been thrown out of the u 21 hurling championship
    As it says here duhallow play newton in county quater final tuesday or is it an error?
    I hope they haven't

They still have to play newtown in the final

Sometimes if a division isn't finished the county section can progress with a team nominated from division... Not sure if that's the case here though.

Thurles beat ard scoil last years finalists,sounds like i said it would be the tie of the round nip and tuck up to the last few minutes.

Thurles won, they won the rice cup in 2013., could be with flannans a huge threat to cork hopes of winning it.

Thurles 3-15 to ard scoil 1-15.
    Superb result midtelton 2-23 to Nenagh 3-13
    Charville 3-12 to Clonmel 1-8

Wonderful day for cork schools ,kanturk wiinning in the other grade and hamilton winning yesterday,unfortunately i couldnt make any game.

Midelton holders play st flannans whitr cup finalists q final

Charville v youghal.or rochestown,guranteed cork semi finalist

St colmans huge ask to beat thures as its their ist game imo in two weeks

Two weeks the quater final

I would severly doubt i mean doubt,english would join cuthbert.
    Id be anamazed,as eammon dunphy would say id wear a dress if it happened.

No harm ,english gets profile.
    The best interview was one i posted by excellent michael moyinhan,must for any cork fan to read imo.
    Havent read todays yet.

Fair play for profiling English today by that journalist ,but That journist ,my opionin is on hes articles some of them,not all of them, but he writes stuff at times that i disagree with like he said tipp would be beaten bt 20 points by cork in football,cant see how that could be thought of,was huge fan cussen could be inter county hurler,and said in spring cork football destined this year to win a trophy this year,and cork hurlers more or less had just turn up last year as jbm magic 99 would win the cup.
    And was advocating john hayes would be huge for cork this year.
    Time has proven he was wrong on all counts.At times he writes good pieces.

Eammon murphy,now he wrote a good article yesterday credit due.
    Hes very consistent,credit due.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just on Billy Morgan.

If we got out of Munster we always lost to eventual AI Champions if we did not win it ourself.

Its been 20 years since we won in Killarney, yet if I'm not mistaken he won 4 Championship games in Killarney from 5 attempts 87, 89, 93(can still remember Joe Kavanagh sliding tackle goal) and 95, his only defeat was in 91.

He was robbed by ref in 1 final and had they picked Danny Cullothy instead of Teddy in 93 final he could have 4 AI.

Never got the praise he deserved. If he was from Donegal or Armagh he be a God.

Sean i read the piece on English, when yet he praised him,he didnt give it a real fact like,he got a duhallow to a county final,clyda to win a county after loosing threw final,dromcollogher munster club,it was just he was excellent and is a top coach etc.

Now any astute gaa man,know what english done,but does that dont had no real facts why english was good ,and could regard it as just hes opionion.
    He imo could have backed it up better.But at least he praised english,credit due for that,good article in that regard.

He made a great point english is underapprecoiated,and it will be intersting if he advocates English for the next minor,or u 21 or senior when they become availble.That piece though.doesnt come to close to michael moyinhans splendid insightful profile on english imo where you learned so much about him ,and hes philposies of the game.

Why doesnt many jornnalist say cuthbhert failed dismally in year one,and he will be the reason cork fail or suceed next year straight out .Eammon sweeney said it.
    Its not agendas against a manager  imo if they question or call a record poor when results clearly show that.

Paul kimmage said he did not want glory for criistising Good old Lance regards drugs he gave a great answer,i was simply doing my job.
    The attuide all journalist should aspire to imo.

Eammon murphy,came close to be fair,in  he highlighted the 2011 u 21 hammering of kerry and said cork failure is not down to a deeper playing pool in kerry, or raw ability,but other aeras that the concerns about cork abound

Hes headline was Cork should use kerrys template .He was right.

He was right,cork are low on confidence after harrowing defeats,and mainstays like kelly,goulding were on the periphery,when they should have been key figures he said.Kelly has been imo at club awesome,cuthbhert treated him poorly imo.

He mentioned all kerry lads played in u 21 game 2011,said cuthbhert made mistakes and wasnt helped by dualism or alan cadogan got 2-14 in four u 21 games to play hurling.

In a great piece,my only critisim would be why not tell all mistakes cuthbhert made,and Dualism was cuthbherts call in could said no.

Yes walsh and co may went hurling,but as turned out they didnt play much football so i dont excuse blame on cuthbhert for that.

Murphy did call ,fair play,for kissane or coughlan to be added as coaches
    He said what i said here,i agree,kerry cuteness isnt just a way to bow down to them,things must be done to overcome it
    He said it is over to cuthbhert to lead the way
    Will he lead the way is the question
    Though ,i ask.

He made great points and i get the feeling he isnt totally convinced by management but why not say it straight out ,what many cork fans feel,if we dont win,its primarily cuthbhert and the selectors fault .

One key line for me was he said , "cork have the players if not the rest to argue their ahead of monaghan,armagh and galway and are closest to breaking the dominance of the leading teams."

What does he mean by the rest???
    Surely he can only mean management,as a team has two things players and management that you develop for success.
    We all know the players are there.

Overall great piece by eammon but imo stopped a little a
    Short where he could have said more like,2011 was referenced,but not once was it said we had john cleary in charge ,or they had fitzmaurice or none of our set up.has proven winning coaches but kerry had cian o neill proven ,and fitzmaurice learned from jack o connor.

Cork minor footballers starting trials for 2015 in mid october,and end of it,the 18th and the 25th for fringe players hoping to make it

Great idea starting early,credit due,problem imo is the managers perecption of a good or average player,as last years panel and team selection imo left a lot to be desired not once,but constantly all year so hopefully that will change next year.
    Cork hurlers,starting trials very soon.
    Draw for the 2015 championship be in bout 3 weeks,the dust on one barely settles,yet the promise of another one just around the corner.
    You wouldnt want it any other way.
    Darren mannix is a huge doubt for sunday,huge loss if he is out,cunningham is an injury concern for the glen.
    How are the cork ladies?any concerns injury wise for sunday??

Interestingly last year billy morgan said he saw great coaching ability in danny cullohty,and he works well with players.i agree with him.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/jim-gavin-dublin-6-1687975-Sep2014/

What a brillant,honest interview,i.applaud gavin and my admiration rises hugely towards him as a manager.

Make no mistake he will learn,why,simply he accepted there is a need to learn.
    Our manager has not done what gavin has,how can he learn when he doesnt recognise he was fully to blame imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 havent got a kalou

I would give charville a good chance today,white cup winners last year beating flannans ,in the final ,in the,dean ryan cup today.
    St flannans were very good,proved by their big win yesterday in the dean ryan cup.

Charville are a very good team,good hurlers down the middle,conor buckley in goal,full back jack meade,centre back jack callaghan all charville.

John geary,newtown,jamie copps ballyhea are a good midfield and david jones ,newtown,tom hanley ballyhea and james fitzgerald limerick are good forwards.
    Clonmel had good rice cup teams at u 14 the last few years.

Hopefully midelton win also,good chance of two wins.
    The tie of the day imo is thurles rice cup winners 2013 v ard scoil.
    Dean ryan is a great competion.

As far as im aware rochestown were down to play youghal in the A but not today.
    Colmans got a bye to the quater final.
    Very important one cork school makes the final,whichever school it is.

I went to the Charleville CBS game today
    A few changes to the White cup team last year with people on the half age .... Callaghan was moved to half with Doyle moving centre . Guiney and Geary at midfield and Copps to centre foward with David Jones pushes into full. Fine exabition from these young lads definatly a team to watch . A lot gone from Midleton CBS incredible team last year but also look like a lovely team this year with Liam gosnell , jack mccdonal and Ryan Keneally who are very good hurlers

I said it last year i fancied charville for the dean ryan cup,mainly their a school on the rise,paudie butlers nephews doiing great work there,won the kinnane cup and white,had a good in the harty run,hsf paddy o loughin with limerick minors,darren casey with cork,the school is developing some great hurling talent all credit due .

Guniey at midfield is shrewd,as darragh as is fast and oceans of hurling .
    Its great if,cork get to a final.

Midelton are doing great work,underage,next year and the year after should also have great dean ryan cup teams as this years winning rice cup team that beat ard scoil well was exceptional,with very good hurlers in joe stack,ciaran evans,aron walsh barry,daragh moran, kiitan oke,sean o sullivan,jason hankard and arthur Nganou coming through the teams.

Current midelton hurler alwyn kearney done a superb job as coach with them with Tim collins also.
    Yesterday was supberb,but its only a start,no excuse for our county board to rest on their laurels,we need more coaching and funding.
    A good year would be a dean ryan cup finalist at least,a harty cup winner,with all the rest competive.
    Minor teams success is built from harty cup successs teams.
    When is youghal v rochestown???

I presume if its rochestown,the game be in mallow with charville.or blarney with youghal etc?????

Anyone have any of the Cork teams from yesterday's Dean Ryan?

Charville team

Conor buckley charville
    Crowley ballyhea
    Jack meade charville
    Padric o shea churchtown
    Jack callaghan charville
    J doyle charville
    Pj herr effin
    John geary newtown
    Darragh guiney newtown
    Tom hanley ballyhea
    Jamie copps ballyhea
    John o sullivan  newtown
    David jones newtown
    O.brien newtown
    James fitzgerald croom

Subs
    Laffan croom
    Tom connelly  bruree
    Cian cotter ballygran
    hawe newtown
    Tim hawe charville

Scorers
    John geary 2-4
    David jones 0-4
    Tom connelly 1-1
    O brien 0-2
    hanley,guiney,fitzgerald,a point each

• Registered Users Posts: 28 havent got a kalou

Charville team

Conor buckley charville
    Crowley ballyhea
    Jack meade charville
    Padric o shea churchtown
    Jack callaghan charville
    J doyle charville
    Pj herr effin
    John geary newtown
    Darragh guiney newtown
    Tom hanley ballyhea
    Jamie copps ballyhea
    John o sullivan  newtown
    David jones newtown
    O.brien newtown
    James fitzgerald croom

Subs
    Laffan croom
    Tom connelly  bruree
    Cian cotter ballygran
    hawe newtown
    Tim hawe charville

Scorers
    John geary 2-4
    David jones 0-4
    Tom connelly 1-1
    O brien 0-2
    hanley,guiney,fitzgerald,a point each

Geary is some talent and peaked when he moved into corner foward really linked up well with Guiney and Jones . Connelly came on to score 1-1 shows the depth of the panel really the one's to watch

• Advertisement

Cheers TTM, anyone know the Midleton side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement