Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/relentless-cork-reel-in-10-point-lead-to-beat-dublin-1.1944730?page=1

Very good piece, Cork team simply must be front page in the Eaminer ,Echo tommorrow and id say some national newspapers but understandably and justifably they.have put the Great Kilkenny on their also.
    I was delighted,President Higgins was there,he to be fair is a huge fan of what cork achieved,brought them to aras uactharain last year,immense credit to him for that.

Briege is our Great Captain and played in every minute of all nine finals.Stuff of dreams.
    The Hunger ,and desire for Success is just unreal.
    Roy keane would be humbled by their quest for glory year on end.

Cork got no player team of the year,two limerick men get on it.
    Dublin keeper should have got one.
    Mcdonnell unlucky but hickey had to get it,fully deserved but dowling while he was good, no way imo.

Eliis ,should have got it at 6.
    Having said.,i wouldnt loose too much sleep over it,cork hurling has much bigger problems than teams of the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Smith614 wrote: »
    Tuned in for last 20 mins of ladies football final. Stunning comeback.

You should watch all of it. Cork were pretty putrid in the first half and into the second as well. Then, like turning on a switch they suddenly got energised. They played like champions. The drive and determination was surreal.

I remember thinking in that first half that the ref was hard enough on cork, several dubious frees, 2 for over carrying and dublins second goal saw a clear barging/hand off to the chest but no free was given- but it was interesting to see a few comments above about the ref favouring Cork...laughable in the extreme !

Probably the sweetest win of the past decade!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭roshje

Scandalous no highlights of the ladies football on tv tonight

roshje wrote: »
    Scandalous no highlights of the ladies football on tv tonight

It was on before the sunday game.now lets be fair,a programme.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/relentless-cork-reel-in-10-point-lead-to-beat-dublin-1.1944730?page=1

Very good piece, Cork team simply must be front page in the Eaminer ,Echo tommorrow and id say some national newspapers but understandably and justifably they.have put the Great Kilkenny on their also.
    I was delighted,President Higgins was there,he to be fair is a huge fan of what cork achieved,brought them to aras uactharain last year,immense credit to him for that.

Briege is our Great Captain and played in every minute of all nine finals.Stuff of dreams.
    The Hunger ,and desire for Success is just unreal.
    Roy keane would be humbled by their quest for glory year on end.

Cork got no player team of the year,two limerick men get on it.
    Dublin keeper should have got one.
    Mcdonnell unlucky but hickey had to get it,fully deserved but dowling while he was good, no way imo.

Eliis ,should have got it at 6.
    Having said.,i wouldnt loose too much sleep over it,cork hurling has much bigger problems than teams of the year.

His wife is Nollaig Clearys cousin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭roshje

It was on before the sunday game.now lets be fair,a programme.

So it was sorry missed it was out, thought it would be on the Sunday Game must buy the RTE guide in future:eek:

His wife is Nollaig Clearys cousin

Michael d higgins wife?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Michael d higgins wife?

Yep

Wife is related to John cleary so pity he couldnt use his status,to get Frank give John cleary;-),cork mens job,the ladies wouldnt be the only ones winning all irelands:-)

John Cleary won an All Ireland under 16 ladies title as manager this year. Frank was at the game as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Examiner leading with the ladies....Fairytale ending for never say die Rebels.

John Cleary won an All Ireland under 16 ladies title as manager this year. Frank was at the game as well

Why was that?
    just a specator

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

any thoughts on sunday game team of the year ??

cork had 2 'experts' and we could not get a player on the team yet Limerick get two players I would have thought ellis or lehane or outside chance for hoggy we had one bad game and looks like thats what people seem to remember about our year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Why in God's name would Horgan or Lehane be considered for an All-Star. Ellis got huge protection from Walsh who sat in front of him throughout the year, that won't happen next year imo, we'll see how Ellis goes then.

Steven McDonald was the only one worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

No complaints about Seamus Hickey nailed on for all-star thought Bergin of Tipp had a very good season also.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    any thoughts on sunday game team of the year ??

cork had 2 'experts' and we could not get a player on the team yet Limerick get two players I would have thought ellis or lehane or outside chance for hoggy we had one bad game and looks like thats what people seem to remember about our year.

Both lovely hurlers, both not hard enough working or physical enough at this level. neither anywhere near the level of some of the kk/tipp forwards this year. Both easily marked by the right defender also as witnessed in the glen douglas game this weekend.
    We were desperate the first day vs Waterford and very good vs clare and the replay vs Waterford, aslo terrible in the first half vs limerick where a better team would have us buried by half time. As for the tipp performance - absolutely appalling, team didn't want to know

The one postive yesterday for na piarsaigh was seeing cork minor  full back yesterday start,and last the whole game for na parsaigh,Eddie Gunning.
    Darren mannix was a huge huge loss in that line,but while duggan got three points,gunning settled,had a fine gane,some great chances.

Must be groomed at full back in the next few years,mannix hopefully play one more year,and him and gunning can alternate between 3 and 4 as gunning has it all to be a full back in a few years for cork,its imperative he is seen as one by the club,and next year the U21 manager kenneally plays him there.
    No need to overcomplicate things,Yes its really that simple,a no brainer.

Dennehy ,its good charville are giving him exposure in a intermediate final also even though hes playing at centre.bacj,he.should be on the radar next year,with Spillane.
    Gunning,cahill,bourke  another goal for Grenagh again yesterday as a forward,macsweeny must be identifed as four very young Potential prospects for cork senior in the next four years,and developed,as tommorrow starts today,and fullback play in cork must be seen as a vital long term project that needs URGENT,IMMEDIATE,attention to detail as the full back play generally at both club and intercounty particlary at club senior is pretty pondous truth be told.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/09/29/rebel-girls-simply-best/

Spendid Front page photo and then also on the back page and a seven page pull out special on the Ladies,then a superb build up in fridays paper,in their sports editon.Credit due to the Echo,for that.

http://www.gaacork.ie/news/304497/County_Hurling_Football_Championship_Programm

Who ever wins newtown v duhallow tommorrow in the quater final will beat ballinshasig in the u 21 game in mourneabbey imo,and would set up an enthralling epic final,v blackrock,who imo will beat sarsfields,who struggled to beat newestown without trevor horgan.
    Duhallow bar last year,contested a few finals,recently and won one.
    Newtown have put huge work in to the u21,more so after the seniors were beaten.A tough game to call,with darren browne,Ian walsh,duhallow,and Tim o mahony,conor twomey of newtown to name but a few,there is great talent on display from both teans,and i like both teams,slighty favour newtown,them and blackrock be some final,in not just a clash of colours,but a contrasting clash of styles,direct fast rockies hurling v the possession,short,running game of Newtownshandrum.

Some crowd and atmosphere at the ladies footballers homecoming tonight .Corks greatest team ever,definetly without any shadow of a doubt.I would have loved to be at the minor final tonight,barrs v carriglaine,but had to choose the homecoming tonight.They got a big crowd,bigger than before.
    Only for the ladies,we would have no homecoming victory celebrations.

Horgan,id agree did not deserve an all star,no way,bar penalties and frees did not step up to the mark when they needed to.
    Lehane was good at times but not convincing at times,v limerick outstanding.I wouldnt blame him totally in like joyce hes been rotated too much.
    Lehane is not a full forward.
    Courage,or a bit of dog in him,isnt the problem,problem is confidence drained out of him by playing him at 14.
    Like galway ruining joe canning,munster ruining keith earls by making them jack of all trades ,master of none,cork will do the same with lehane if their not careful.Hes a half forward,pick him and play him there.

As for horgan,no such excuses,he has been around the last seven years,in hes best position,he needs to step it up.Hes tough enough but goes missing.
    Outstanding last year,he turned a corner,i thought,i will give him the benfit of a doubt ,but he needs to step it up the next day.

Mcdonnell was outstanding,unlucky hickey was also outstanding for limerick.
    As for ellis i would have given him a place on the  team ,he was covered yes by walsh playing deeper but brian hogan has also been helped by kilkenny in a similar role down the line.

I wasnt a huge fan of ellis but while kilkenny are the ultimate test of him,i would preserve with him espiceally if cork play a sweeper.

I said before the tipp game the match ups had to be crucial,we made a complete shambles of them in truth,and the two goals rocked us at vital times,when cahalne should of marked callian,so i wouldnt blame the team much,the tactics and match ups meant as i said it was my worry meant we were beaten before a ball was even pucked.

Joyce at corner back,cahalane at 5,o.neill at 3 were woeful,truly woeful calls by jbm.

Lorchan ,that game cried out for him at midfied.
    I wouldnt blame the team too much,management i totally blame for that game loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

sean mac wrote: »
    Both lovely hurlers, both not hard enough working or physical enough at this level. neither anywhere near the level of some of the kk/tipp forwards this year. Both easily marked by the right defender also as witnessed in the glen douglas game this weekend.
    We were desperate the first day vs Waterford and very good vs clare and the replay vs Waterford, aslo terrible in the first half vs limerick where a better team would have us buried by half time. As for the tipp performance - absolutely appalling, team didn't want to know

Horgan is far too easily marked out of it. Again and again in the big games he has been anonymous. Hopefully Lehane won't go the same way, tbf he did ok against Tipp.

Flanagan set to be confirmed for Cork role according to the Examiner today - strange decision. Must be money or something so

Harty cup tommorrow,Huge,huge interest for Cork teams.
    Still trying to choose which game to go to.

Great for charville,Dromina ballyhea,all close together to be in county finals.If newtown join them some going.
    Clyda ,ballyclough,kilshanning likewise good success so far.
    Flanagans role defies cuthbhert term in charge in a nutshell,baffling,illogical,strange,calls in a nutshell.
    Talking to kerry man yesterday,he said has no gra for cork football.
    Cork football is facing dark times imo ahead,and the league is going to be some rude awakening with four northern trips.

Mayos shambles of management controvrrsy means cork will beat them,but i say it now,dont get carried away beating mayo,their going to be poor this year.
    Dublin will be well up for the ist game.

Also cork will win the mcgrath cup,but lets keep it real,none og the colledge teams be up for it,kerry despite the yerra talk,wont give a hoot regards it.
    I say this now,as some will get carried away with it.

Rg15 will Eammon Ryan stay on and will there be any likely retirments in the team or the camoige also next year??
    Will juliet go in to management?
    Brillant photo of her working for tg4,celebrating corks winning score on last nights Echo.

• Advertisement

I could see a number of retirements now at this stage, but then again will depend on who wins the Co championship - think a number of girls didn't walk away because Briege was the captain. Nollaig and Norita are the two I would think, then again Juliet Murphy retired from football altogether, but played with her club Donoughmore last week

Juliet played junior wasnt it
    Will eammon stay?

Between Flanagan and Matthews we are paying a fortune for s&c coaches when the expertise lies with numerous more qualified people within the county bounds -crazy stuff.
    Good to see Flanagan has got over his loathing of cork - I wonder why!!!!! This set up needs a new coach and manager not a new s&c coach, however this is a great smokescreen for Cuthbert, he will announce this in another soft interview with McNamara or murphy in the echo and trump the fact this fella worked with Kerry etc, while the elephant in the room which is the managers inability for this level is ignored and cork meander into another year of under achievement

Matthews is excellent to be fair,he is top notch and i heard great reviews bout him,we lost not over fitness,due to tactics.

Totally agree,regards bringing in other people from counties when we have talented cork people,look after our own first.
    We have now an antrim man and waterford,kerry man with the footballers.

Whatever bout the other fella,Murphy is quite good journalist to be fair he is the only few comes close to saying harsh truths in cork.
    They are far far worse than him

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/michael-deasy-the-irish-man-hoping-for-a-samoa-victory-on-saturday-248846.html

Ed coughlan a cork man overlooked,unbelivable stuff

This man surely worth at look at after next year.
    I asked many people since bout him,hes highely regarded,and is a good skills coach also.
    A lot of rubgy philsopies like english said would be good in gaa.

Imagine,cleary,english,deasy, as s and c coach,james mccarthy or kissane and Gene o driscoll as a link between u 21 and senior etc as a selector in charge of Cork.
    Now that would be unbelievable.
    Christ above cork football be destined for an all ireland.
    Of course the Muskerry,bishpotown,some city boys wouldnt be happy with no reperesenation ,but sure let them off.
    Its what matters for cork football is all that counts.

[QUOTE=thinkstoomuch1;92414347]Matthews is excellent to be fair,he is top notch and i heard great reviews bout him,we lost not over fitness,due to tactics.

Totally agree,regards bringing in other people from counties when we have talented cork people,look after our own first.
    We have now an antrim man and waterford,kerry man with the footballers.

Whatever bout the other fella,Murphy is quite good journalist to be fair he is the only few comes close to saying harsh truths in cork.
    They are far far worse than him

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/michael-deasy-the-irish-man-hoping-for-a-samoa-victory-on-saturday-248846.html

Ed coughlan a cork man overlooked,unbelivable stuff

This man surely worth at look at after next year.
    I asked many people since bout him,hes highely regarded,and is a good skills coach also.
    A lot of rubgy philsopies like english said would be good in gaa.

Imagine,cleary,english,deasy, as s and c coach,james mccarthy or kissane and Gene o driscoll as a link between u 21 and senior etc as a selector in charge of Cork.
    Now that would be unbelievable.
    Christ above cork football be destined for an all ireland.
    Of course the Muskerry,bishpotown,some city boys wouldnt be happy with no reperesenation ,but sure let them off.
    Its what matters for cork football is all that counts.[/QUOTE]

Cant agree TTM, like all athletes think she knows it all and focuses totally on running to the detriment of the overall physical development of the team, hence why we get blown out of it usually. Totally lost cusack and gardiner in his first season for example and many players went onto their own weights programmes which isn't where you want to be, he has improved but only average for this level and no where near the level of cian o neill or the aforementioned ed Coughlan or martin kennedy with Dublin for example. A lot of the positive reviews are from ian oriordan in the times a running colleague or some of the younger cork palyers who because of our jokeshop set ups at minor/u21 have never had anything approaching a s&c set up.
    However he fits in nicely with JBMs greyhounds vs elephants argument and will stay on even if there are rumours of a shake up of the backroom team.
    There are better in cork, same with Flanagan who cutbert will use as a smokescreen going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

sean mac wrote: »
    Between Flanagan and Matthews we are paying a fortune for s&c coaches when the expertise lies with numerous more qualified people within the county bounds -crazy stuff.
    Good to see Flanagan has got over his loathing of cork - I wonder why!!!!! This set up needs a new coach and manager not a new s&c coach, however this is a great smokescreen for Cuthbert, he will announce this in another soft interview with McNamara or murphy in the echo and trump the fact this fella worked with Kerry etc, while the elephant in the room which is the managers inability for this level is ignored and cork meander into another year of under achievement

Hang on, what's this about?

As it happens, I agree that the conditioning of the squad wasn't the problem at all last year, but Flanagan is a lot more than a fitness coach I assure you.

Now id have to disagree thats a myth,gardiner and cusack had no problem with matthews.
    The pace of the game,has got faster and matthews training is vital to cork.

Cork loosing to tipp had nothing all to do with strength in players,when cahalane was at five,joyce at two,lehane in and out at 14,o neill at three.

we cant have 15 incredible hulks or david hasselfofs.You must have a balance.
    Harnedy,cooper,cronin,walsh,ellis,cahalane were all physical.
    Physicality is a rubbish myth we lost to tipp .

A Lot like o neilk,nash ,walsh rate matthews highely,he is top top class.
    Please lets not become like limerick,
    In there thread i read some amusing stuff,that body fat levels were too low,and etc etc after they lost to Cork.Who are they trying to kid.They like us,lost over tactics but as poor as jbm was v tipp he is ten times better than anything they have on the line.

Lets cop ourseleves on .
    Cork tactically lost to tipp,its that simple.
    We dont need to overcomplicate things.
    Its nonense,cork lads had do gym work on their own.
    They had designated programmes to work on their own yes.
    The lazy excuse is to blame matthews,the outside man .
    He trained them.Aidan o Briens trains a horse to win,but if hes jockey rides a race unsnbcuited to the horse all the training in the world means jack S##t.Its the same in hurling.
    Jbm picked the team ,simple as.We would be better of getting rid of seanie mcgrath in the set up than matthews.

Hang on, what's this about?

As it happens, I agree that the conditioning of the squad wasn't the problem at all last year, but Flanagan is a lot more than a fitness coach I assure you.

When the great tony leen announced this on Saturday, he stated that Flanagan was 'loathe' to get involved with cork having worked with cork previously, a strange way for any new member of a management team to be announced

Pat flanganan is top top notch,i dont doubt it,three things stand out

Jack o.connor rated him
    Ger cunningham ul rated him,had him with laois this year.They wouldnt have him unless he was very good,as their top,top managers.
    Saw him training ul laois hurlers last may,as there were same weekend as cork senior footballers
    Top top coach no doubt. Darragh o se didnt rate flangan ,very scepctial regards hes training methods,flangan was brave,bold stand up to o se.
    He won darragh over in the end.
    He said it in a great interview years ago.
    Flanganan is good.

I dont doubt hes.professionalism one bit,yes john o.mahony a mayo man done it with Galway,Jack charlton done it with Ireland v england,etc there is the argument hes there to do a job hell do it.

My worry is he hates cork ,thats well known,push cones to shove cork v kerry killarney,is hes heart and soul in it??

Remember that Great Romantic film Indecent Proposal,where Redford has this romantic idea,he can buy love for 1 million.
    It looks grand for a bit but then that scence where he stops the taxi lets Demi moore out and lets her leave him.
    When asked why by the shover why hes reply She would never have looked at him the way she looked at me.
    He knew her true love was Woody Harreslon.

Its the same cork v kerry,Pat flangan will never look at cork football the way he looks at kerry when they go head to head,i understand why,i dont blame him as he is rooted in kerry culture.
    Sooner or later that problem will hinder,cork.
    Oil and water dont mix.Why are they immiscible,they just are.
    Its the same with a kerry man managing cork senior footba,all well and good mickey ned managibg scoil ghobhtan to an an all ireland c tile,just on border kerry,this is worlds,simply worlds apart and imo is a dissaster waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pluszap

Irish examiner made a mess of cork camogie all ireland winning poster today putting us down as having beaten dublin in final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement