Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Na piarsaigh or kilmallock play Sars or Glen in munster club semifinal in a limerick venue.
    Na piarsaigh would beat sarsfields handy imo,Dowling would cause ray ryan problems or downes on leahy or vice versa,michael cussen wouldnt get a sniff of david breen if he plays full back.
    Throw in Ronan lynch,sars have no chance if they play na piarsaigh.
    Depending where lynch plays.

The glen may not win either but at least horgan would trouble breen more so if he steps up,mcdonnell is a top top defender and while conor sullivan is good,maccie imo is better espiceally in heavy conditions but they have pace to stay with na piarsaigh also on a dry crisp autumn sunday.
    Adrian breen who played with ucc,imo good enough for limerick senior is a top top forward also for na piarsaigh.
    The glen would make a game out of it.
    In the football,corks winners v kerry in semi if kerry beat tipp.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/cunningham-closing-in-on-dubs-hurling-job-290089.html

Serious serious questions must be asked of the board if cunningham is allowed go,and the cork job comes open.
    Of course nobody will say much to question this.
    If ccb were any good,they would jump in and offer cunningham the job now.
    He should of got u 21 job last year,told senior was hes when jbm goes.
    Wait and see,thoug club delgates do what they do best,say nothing.
    The best man to lead cork will be lost to dublin.
    Unbelievable.Cunningham,wants.a main job ,so hes prepared to leave for dublin.
    The fact cusack watched dublin club games last week and spoke of cunningham well last friday imo is a certainty ger is going.
    Cusack said he wont join,i still wouldnt rule out a role for him down the line,and im sure cunningham asked him for hes views on dublin hurling,imo signoficant cusack was at their club games.
    Cork had plenty warning signs last year,cunningham was looking elsewhere,and choose to ignore it.

The aricle said obivous candidate if.jbm went is ger but that is unliley to come about.
    Everybody knows cunningham wont get cork job.

Players would want him.People think then kenneally wont be apppinted,need to see whays so obivous,ger is obivous man for cork board dont do obivoius.
    The media imo,ex players should. ask why cunningham never got the main job to the board,get the board explain why they overlooked a candiate as great as cunninhgam..Cork gaa is meant to be decomratic yes,surely cork fans are entilted to have that question answered.
    The board wont care of the critsim if kenneally got the job.

Wait for the clare game to be brushed off.as the greatest clare team ever,cork.made huge improvements to beat waterford in waterford,missing cormac murphy for that game
    Just wait for the codolgy to begin

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

I would seriously fear for cork hurlers if JBM walks away now especially with Cunningham going to Dublin. Lets be honest lads, TTM is correct, the favoured ccb candidate is unbelieveably kenneally, perhaps because he is so poor and in order to cushion things initially Kingston if available (that's a big if) might take the job for a year with kenneally as a selector coming into to take over in year 2 ala the great Cuthbert.
    Ffs lads this is well within the bounds of possibilities, and whats more we as a county will take it. Could you imagine being a minor from 2012 who first started off with kenneally - he would be your constant manager at inter county level from then until 20??????
    As for the football yesterday, good to see new teams get game time,have a slight favour for ballincollig, great to see Kelly and galvin after tough inter county years play so well for collig. I presume despite him not being up to the level of inter county john hayes will be retained by Cuthbert again for 2015?
    As for the hurling, while the romantic in me would like to see a once great giant but now just a sad club in decline like the glen win it I cant see them beating sars. Not because sars are so good like na piarsaigh in limerick, simply because they are the best of whats in cork at the moment, with 15 good club hurlers and a few more to come on, while the glen have some really average operators. Unfortunately horgans perennial problem of being unable to play against a tough physical marker will come into play, expect sars to double up on him with ray ryan and leahy for example. Neither team will win the munster club however.
    I notice our esteemed football manager is very quiet, normally he would be bursting to talk to eamon murphy in the echo announcing something like pat flanangan -is it still happening? any word on the dual palyers, once again a rumour from a few weeks back was that he was asking them to choose, perhaps he was told he wasn't allowed?

• Advertisement

Sean ,your spot on but i think the glen will win,leahy is a poor full.back,horgan,will cut loose.

Eammon murphy be fair cuts loose at times,did you read mcnnamaras piece last week,very generous to cuthbhert.No suprise their.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

Get C is still in charge of the ucc team isn't he? If he does go to dublin, cork hurling loses out on the double as the fitzgibbon cup has benefited cork players greatly. Who would be in line to take over there?

Sean ,your spot on but i think the glen will win,leahy is a poor full.back,horgan,will cut loose.

Eammon murphy be fair cuts loose at times,did you read mcnnamaras piece last week,very generous to cuthbhert.No suprise their.

I hope he does TTM it would be better for cork to have the glen win and a good boost to city hurling shedding light for the rockies at least, the barrs are down for a lont time more nothing at underage. I just don't know with horgan, he gos way too quiet too often for the amount of hurling he has imo.
    As for McNamara, don't forget after the league game in Tralee he predicted cork for the all Ireland. Has backed Cuthbert from the start a big fan of powerpoint perhaps?
    Serious couple of weeks for cork gaa, at intercounty level.

Horse84 wrote: »
    Get C is still in charge of the ucc team isn't he? If he does go to dublin, cork hurling loses out on the double as the fitzgibbon cup has benefited cork players greatly. Who would be in line to take over there?

Jim mccoy,crowley,seanie mccgrath the coach not.other seanie mcgrath,all with.ucc but.ucc i have no.fears as wouls appoint a tipp or cork top coach

Ucc.unlike cork wont accept or reward or promote mediocrity

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

sean mac wrote: »
    I would seriously fear for cork hurlers if JBM walks away now especially with Cunningham going to Dublin. Lets be honest lads, TTM is correct, the favoured ccb candidate is unbelieveably kenneally, perhaps because he is so poor and in order to cushion things initially Kingston if available (that's a big if) might take the job for a year with kenneally as a selector coming into to take over in year 2 ala the great Cuthbert.
    Ffs lads this is well within the bounds of possibilities, and whats more we as a county will take it. Could you imagine being a minor from 2012 who first started off with kenneally - he would be your constant manager at inter county level from then until 20??????
    As for the football yesterday, good to see new teams get game time,have a slight favour for ballincollig, great to see Kelly and galvin after tough inter county years play so well for collig. I presume despite him not being up to the level of inter county john hayes will be retained by Cuthbert again for 2015?
    As for the hurling, while the romantic in me would like to see a once great giant but now just a sad club in decline like the glen win it I cant see them beating sars. Not because sars are so good like na piarsaigh in limerick, simply because they are the best of whats in cork at the moment, with 15 good club hurlers and a few more to come on, while the glen have some really average operators. Unfortunately horgans perennial problem of being unable to play against a tough physical marker will come into play, expect sars to double up on him with ray ryan and leahy for example. Neither team will win the munster club however.
    I notice our esteemed football manager is very quiet, normally he would be bursting to talk to eamon murphy in the echo announcing something like pat flanangan -is it still happening? any word on the dual palyers, once again a rumour from a few weeks back was that he was asking them to choose, perhaps he was told he wasn't allowed?

Appointment of IC Managers has become a huge problem in Cork. We had a very competitive hurling team in 2006 and made a terrible appointment and compounded it by trying to push him through for another term. We then went fo Denis Walsh when Ger Blue was the obvious candidate but he wasn't acceptable to the CB.

We wasted the prime years of some very talented hurlers.

Everyone knew we needed a change in Football as the game evolved tactically to a level that Conor Counihan could not cope with. However, as in hurling, we made a disasterous appointment. We went for a man with no CV or experience and ignored a man with with a great record at U21 level. The gamble back-fired badly and Cuthbert compounded his inexperience by failing to bring in a good management team. Our bunch of novices were badly exposed by FitzMauurice and O Neill and Cuthbert has alienated the players to an extent that he's effectively lost the dressingroom. He won't step down and will probably get another term this wasting what should be a golden generation of Cork Footballers. I doubt that Flanagan or Coughlan will join our pathetic set-up - would you buy a ticket for the Titianic if you knew it was going to hit an Iceberg ?

We see out bitter rivals KK and Kerry take AI's and we are nowhere - yet our Runai has a job for life - where else would this happen ?

TTM - that was a great article about the Ladies Football Team -on the the ST as you said. Eamon Ryan is an amazing man and I hope he'll get the credit he deserves - He's up there with Micko and Heffo IMO.

• Advertisement

Excellent article the other night in Echo praising their ladies football coverage.Very enjoyable read imo.
    Self praise is no praise normally but imo its an exception,credit where its due,their ladies coverage all year is the best around,and a wonderful preview friday,icing on the cake with an awesome piece as i said already,and Mary white was singled out by another reporter,and well deserved imo.

She deserves it,not just the all ireland,but her coverage of the minor ,preview etc for the minor galway game was exceptional.
    A great point was made how,as close as she is to the set up,she still makes objective anaylisis.
    Obective anaylis ,that was a great point.

I wish some of our other counterparts could take note and learn from mary white,Linda mellricks ruthless honest camoige views ,Sarah o Donovan no nonense articles calling a spade a spade, and be the same in both the football and hurling for men,and we need attuides to change for the better of Cork gaa,in if it is wrong its wrong ,say it,dont cherry pick or worse again avoid the issues,just cause their unpopular.

Everbody has a part to play in Cork gaa,the fans,the sponsors,teams,players,managers,the media.
    All of these must do their jobs to their best of their ability,do it with honesty ,truth,in that Cork GAA at all levels is the ultimate winner.
    In any successful team,you always hear ,the words,truth and honesty.
    Does that exist in all Cork teams??
    To do that,no egos can exisist in the group.

The other day,there was an article regards cork footballers,and imo far far too generous in praise for cuthbhert and co,and i get the impression,it is not living  in the moment,as bad as cork gets,it is like full steam ahead,dont look whats stares us in the face,no ruthless honest critisicms.Their never is a boiling point?
    Yes no body likes doom and gloom.
    I certainly get no joy ,being so negative at times,but you must be realtsic ,Going with the flow has ruined cork in the past.

There was valid points that cork must identify regulars starters ,play them in their positions,he said 12 regular starters during the league.Great point.
    However I find it questionable the article gives a slant at Billy morgan,says cuthbherts failure to play lads in best positions goes back even to morgan,i get the feeling he was trying to justify cuthbherts appalling,appalling mistakes,by saying even morgan made them and hes on that level,dont be top harsh on him.That playing lads out
    of position ,was the only reason he mentioned for this years failure

Morgan has actually won things.Cuthbhert couldnt even win a junior or intermediate club title in hes time.Yes he won a mickey mouse mcgrath cup.
    Nor was it said did he actually say cuthbhert made mistakes,not even once ,was that word used, but said he is shrewd enough to appreciate a more definitve base to the side is esseintal now and cannot be faulted for trying out fresh ideas in hes ist season in charge.

He lists corks nfl div 1 semifinal,munster sfc final and all ireland semi final as if we should acknowledge it,say well done and cork were by no means million miles away reaching the last four and did say we were below par.
    But whos fault is it we were below par??

Lets be realtistic.The league was flawed,kildare are poor,we struggled to beat them by a point.
    Westmeath lost ten games,last year,discard result.They sacked their manager.
    Derry ,we were lucky to win at home by a point.
    Tyrone,we drew at home.
    Dublin in croker in march,excellent result
    Mayo,a disgrace,shambles.
    Kerry in the league,they did not give a care bout the game.

Dublin in croker,a shambles,utter shambles.
    Tipp at home,horrible,horrible display,no team cohesion,spirit unity,awful team selection,no leadership on the line,Walshs individal brillance saved the day.
    Just like now,back then some said dont worry,were better than that.

Kerry slaughred us ,worst home defeat in over twenty years,without the gooch in cork.
    Sligo,we were poor,against a team with no forwards.They just sacked their manager.
    The poor critisim of mayo and the refs in the lead up to the game,truly backfired.Some displays,lets not sugar coat them,were not just below par,they were with the talent availble ,truly awful.
    8 games ,imo,as i discard four ,were true tests,we won 3,drew one,hardly inspiring.

When evaluating cork,kildare,kerry in the league,westmeath,sligo are so so poor,its more how bad they were than how good cork actually were imo.You must add realism to those games,or were going no where.
    Danny welback hatricks against piss poor defending has some say oh van gal proved wrong.
    No ,He does what he always does ,hat tricks v poor teams.In big big games,wont do it,score goals.There hype and theres realism in sport.People with misguided hype always get found out sooner or later imo.

See the way john caulfield brillantly negated Ex cork manager damien richardson this weeks playing down of hes team changes against cork this week,when he said damien would be in the papers all week ,saying he loves cork ,the players,but dont  be fooled they pose a threat to cork.

Mayo dominated us for twenty minutes after half time and blew us away,then allowed us play.
    Donnacha wasnt brought on earlier.
    Colm did not start v kerry.
    Midfield a shambles all year,disgraceful treatment of paddy kelly,the butcher,sean dinneen,laoire getting no chances,the blaming of players in the media,allowing dualism ,no video anaylisis of a training camp in ul.
    No body mentions these things.

The article said kelly ,kerrigan,loughrey must be pivital to cork next year in their best positions.Fair point.
    What it didnt mention is it is absoultey crucial cork get a coherent,effective midfield partnership next year imo.

All this,and this article says Cuthbhert is shrewd.
    What backs this up?
    The interview after the kerry game,they said we would wait til half time to change things.Is that the new meaning of shrewd management??

There is imo no real realsim bar a few points in the article,it like last year is not as bad as it was.
    If it happened in kerry or kilkenny,there would be an outcry.
    We must accept it was a dissaster,otherwise how can we evolve truly as a team.
    It failed to question cuthbherts naive selection of an inexpierenced back room team from day one,i said then it concerned me hughely.

Imo some still wont call a spade a spade.
    Look at dublin,jim gavin admitted he was totally wrong in the donegal game.I posted the link of the interview here ,a week ago.Such honesty.He will learn.Our manager has yet to say he and only him made a lot of mistakes.
    That article  asks could flangans make a significant contribuiton to corks hopes??
    Valid question but i hope its not putting all the onus on him as if pat fails,dont fault cuthbhert

Questions that should be asked
    What is cuthbherts mininum acceptance of a good season and failure????
    What input has flanganan?
    what are hes mininum expectations of the league
    What are the key aeras cork need to fix in the team
    Does he think Dualism failed or helped Cork Football last year??
    It imo,it is a yes or no answer,no need to spin doctor it.Its either black or white,no in between.

This is not being harsh,purely imo as Mary white done wonderfully in the ladies football,we need harsh,realistic,call it as it is ,no emotion in journalism of cork senior football and all things cork gaa.
    Everbody in cork lauds cody,fitzmautice ruthless streak.,but very few demand our managers do it when they write about sport

Cuthbhert is a nice man by all accounts,committed,passionate bout gaa,no doubt ,but as manager of cork senior football hes results must be questioned and even the most optimstic,glass always full fans,surely cant deny there based on last year ,as a whole,no cherry picking,serious concerns for next year remain.

To change,first accept we have real problems,last year was a dissaster.
    Step 1 .Accept and Acknowlede Failure was made last year,no iffing and butting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Hopefully The Glen will win the county next Sunday. They have the better form but I suspect Sars will probably scrape through. They have huge motivation from losing last yrs final and have a far better attacking balance. The Glen have a few passengers from midfield up in the scoring stakes whilst every single Sars player from midfield up can chip in with scores. Hoggy needs to pull a huge one out of the bag and after the hammering he got off the magnificent Eoin Cadogan he'll certainly have a point to prove. Fitness could be an issue and Glen third game in a row might mean their intensity levels aren't where they were. Sars for me, unfortunately.
    Can't see past Newcestown in the intermediate.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2013/08/28/development-squads-will-reap-reward/

Just read that a year ago,look at the mess were in still.Look at the Endorsement of Kenneally.
    Did bob say anything,he was there in Ennis that night, after the Shambles,Disgraceful,truly absmal slaughtering to Clare in the u 21 final yet tipperay pushed them to extra time and wexford gave them one hell of a game.

This happy go lucky attuide,we lost over luck,complete rubbish.
    Of course some will believe that rubbish,,but any shrewd gaa man knows,different.
    look at,the endorsement of donal.o sullivan,being well able to do the minor football job.U21
    This year like i said it would be from day one would be a shambles,with the talent avaible it was.What was meant by he saying hes an aggressive manager??
    Not the words i like to hear,my ears prick like Arkle on Gold cup day when i hear words like tactical genuis,shrewd,innovative,modern coach with a proven successful record.Teddy mac,was at the harty cup wednesday,rochestown v charville,in offical cork gear.
    Was he there for Cork?
    If so fine but he must not be in the senior set up,hes records are poor not without controvies in managements.

If kenneally gets the job if jbm goes,ex pundits and the media must for the saving grace of cork hurling ,be honest ,,purely question hes appalling record in four years at intercounty level.It is not personal critisim,cork journalists would do well to remember,its plausible,expected a manager for a top elite job like cork senior hurling manager hes record is objectivably anayalised,call a spade a spade,and no cherry picking,or worse again,an old habit that dies hard in cork gaa,ignore the REAL FACTS.
    Just look at the mess and dissaster the footballers suffered,when the wrong man got the job.

If jbm goes,its so predictable what will happen imo.
    This is what i think will happen

A commitee,hand picked ,will be set up to finalise a selection process of the manager,set up candiates.A public relations exercise.
    Some good men will be there,but.key county board officers will have controlling power.
    A bit like a co pilot,he can brag hes the maverick of the skies,he feels good great to use as a chat up line in a bar ,but in essence he has no real control of the plane.Pilot will fly it hes way.

Names like o grady,allen be thrown in,to make it look,that even men that went against the board are in real contention all is forgotten,cork gaa is democratic.

There will be the usal noises from the top,we will take time ,we will promise to get the best man for the job,we will leave no stone unturned.This is a process,journey,new chapter in cork hurling,one door closes,another one opening,exciting times were told lie ahead. if only that was the case.
    They kid only themselves and their loyal disciples in truth.Cork hurling suffers the harsh truths in time.
    As johnny logan sang Whats another year.

You see one horror film,you have seen them all.Like cork,theres different characthers acting the main leading roles,but the ending is always the same,unfortunately a.sad tragic ending for cork hurling.

About four or five days before the meeting announces the manager(its already been decided who the manager is weeks in advance),a few reporters not,all will be called upon, and anbody  but kenneally be hotly  tipped , will be leaked,Run with that strory.

A few names ,of popular choice be thrown in the race.Keneally will be second in the race according to the media.Kingston probaly be front runner or o grady for good measure.
    You see  by doing it this way it avoids any momentum resticance building to opposing it.
    Classic examples of this happening,last year ,cleary was said to be the main man for the senior football .
    Limerick had cunningham as the man,then last minute u turns by both county boards ,to get tj ryan and cuthbhert,always their man from the start.

Rushed through appointments,table of county board meeting minutes of the meeting set in stone,so move alongs siftly,meeting is beautfilly manuiplated so no real debate exists.

A few media articles will specfically ,paint up kennallys poor record like a bit of gravitti as the mona lisa so to speak,in the interviews and profiles of kenneally will be ,exciting new dawn of an era,challenges ahead but Cork has real hope,keneally worked hes way up the ladder,intermediate,minor,u 21,club,expert 103 fm county finalist day,,the hard sell will be preached to the gaa community.
    Those and they do exists,gullible fans ,that would swallow an anchor,will believe it,but shrewd,down to earth ,real knowgeable gaa men,know different and wont be bluffed as they are not fooled by talk,proven records is their holy grail.No flies on them.

Kenneally captained cork at senior,we wont be allowed forget.He is a leader,etc etc.
    Finbarr mccarthy,paudie palmer guys that i admire passion for the game,dont agree with all their view though,,few ex players,fans pat ,will praise hes commitment,passion,expierence(yes he coached a lot but he has won little)he wants what is better for cork,has an uncherised love for cork hurling ,hes in the job,so whether people agree or not must now fully suppport him,give him time.Fair enough  hes passion is lauded,they would be right in that regard but hes tactical prowess wont be questioned which it SIMPLY MUST.

The cusacks,etc  who will solely criticise him on management alone,will be accused of ,there they go again,having a rant,so negative,over the top,they have an agenda.The usal rubbish be spouted.When those against kenneally simply have such a love,real real love for cork hurling,we fear it could be destroyed by a manager clearly out of hes depth at all levels of intercounty management.Yet there seen as  the enemy within,when nothing could be farther from the truth.The realistic people are truly corks great white hope of hurling in cork imo.

some will say,its early yet,they dont agree with it either but wait til the league to judge him,were being unfair ..Can we please have less of the negativity, is all i heard last year imo such bull that has hardly served Cork GAA so well im the past will be said.
    People need to realise theres a huge difference in negativity and realism.

The optimist , the wind will always change.The pessimist, says the wind will never change.But the Realist will simply adapt hes sails for stormy waters ahead something cork gaa does not always do imo.Cork county board the eternal optimsist sails right ahead in to icebergs,and captains of the ships be immune from critisim and realism

The league comes,wait til the championship,we will hear judge not but judge then.
    Championship comes and goes in the blink of an eye,over before it started,i will again,the only way i know to,is give honest ,realistic views,yet some will say,its year one,when jbm went we were always going back,blame the players ,lack of talent etc,when they wont question why the  joyces,lehanes,spillanes,harnedy,etc developed further.

And of course 2015 be wasted away,2016 also ,and we will struggle to compete

And we will finally make a good u 21 appointment ,as kenneally and teddy macarthy be likely with the seniors,our minors,u 21 ,win things yet our seniors be a disaster.
    That would help kenneally and co get a second term,as it would be preached,the talent is finally coming through,it just takes time.
    cork gaa is so predictable in the county boards school of management and like an open book at this stage to read.

I would love,truly love to be so wrong but Judging a manager is not rocket science ,just look at results,judge soley on them,and keep the emotion or club or divionsal bias out of it, truly that simple even though some will say nonense,ah its too simplistic to just blame poor managers for dire truly dire ,results.

The big difference between Cuthbert and FitzMaurice IMO is that FitzM can read a game and opponents and develop a game plan to win - Cuthbert, although well intentioned is sadly lacking in all these important areas.

Kerry were ripped apart by our attack in Tralee but FitzM learned the lesson and appreciated that he had to pack his defence to avoid a repeat. We were badly exposed in the League Semi v Dublin yet Cuthbert learned nothing. His attacking system was stumped by a moderate Monaghan game in a challenge yet he learned nothing. He was a selector in Killarney in 2013 when our FB line was hopelessly exposed - Kerry were certain to try the same tactics again this year yet Cuthbert was totally unprepared.

At no stage did Cuthbert accept any blame for our tactical ineptitude - instead he blamed the players and wielded the axe after the Munster Final - he even blamed the players for the loss to Mayo - saying that they were told not to take the ball into contact but we had a few weeks to adapt to a totally new defensive structure - it was a credit to the players who ran Mayo so close in spite of hopelessly inept management.

However Cuthbert is not the only one that should shoulder the blame - the committee who appointed him and his co-selectors - Ronan Mac, Eoin Sexton, Ciaran Sheehan and Don Davis - all men that have done great things in the blood and bandage but that does not absolve them from taking the blame for inept management - yet the only one gone is McCarthy - It saddens me to say it but these former greats are destroying their great legacies by refusing to accept that they have failed and should do the honourable thing and go. If they other 3 stepped down then Cuthbert's position would be untenable IMO.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/u21-hurling-team-of-the-year-2014-1709068-Oct2014/

No cork man,five wexford,second year in a row.
    Christ we cant even get one player on u 21 team of the year.
    No crisis though.

Id agree gary but id blame the ccb and cuthbhert soley,him and him only appointed hes backroom team,hes fully and soley to blame for that set up.He has no excuses.
    Ronan maccarthy.,was good,tried,but very hard when you dont have full control.
    And i woudnt blame all the committee as it was 3-3,its the casting vote decider is to blame and the other two that wanted cuthbhert.
    It would be wrong to blame alå the committee imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Breadandbutter

Presumably Teddy Mac was at a Harty Game on account of Lord Mayors Cup - saw Jim Cashman there too

Totally depressed now with your Kenneally rationale - was hoping he'd disappear after his abject failure at minor and 21

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/u21-hurling-team-of-the-year-2014-1709068-Oct2014/

No cork man,five wexford,second year in a row.
    Christ we cant even get one player on u 21 team of the year.
    No crisis though.

Id agree gary but id blame the ccb and cuthbhert soley,him and him only appointed hes backroom team,hes fully and soley to blame for that set up.He has no excuses.
    Ronan maccarthy.,was good,tried,but very hard when you dont have full control.
    And i woudnt blame all the committee as it was 3-3,its the casting vote decider is to blame and the other two that wanted cuthbhert.
    It would be wrong to blame alå the committee imo.

Fair points TTM - can't blame the 3 men that didn't vote for Cuthbert.

I agree that Cubby was to blame for appointing selectors with no experience but these lads should be honest and admit that they have been aweful - Regardless of the fact that they got a 2 year term - they should man up and walk now.

Presumably Teddy Mac was at a Harty Game on account of Lord Mayors Cup - saw Jim Cashman there too

Totally depressed now with your Kenneally rationale - was hoping he'd disappear after his abject failure at minor and 21
    Jim had hes son john playing at six
    Thats hed son yeah??

No one.knows more bt mayor cup?
    More??than anaswers

Thats hed son yeah??

More??than anaswers

No one including the schools, while a good idea imo there was no real plan for how this would be run off or when or what resources would be available for the schools or who would run it cork pp or rebel og for example?
    Schools or most of them weren't even consulted just saw their names in the examiner, still a good idea but the ccb must come on board with the reosurces required or it will fall flat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Breadandbutter

Thats hed son yeah??

More??than anaswers

There was a bit in echo about it - something like 7 from each of schools involved - and all going to be run off quickly and played at weekends I think - could be wrong

But yeah so far nothing from schools and in back of my mind I thought 'twas going to be oct nov !!!!!

John Cashman Jims son all right - plays with Rochestown and Blackrock - obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pluszap

The referee for Sunday's County Hurling Final is Nathan Wall (Carraigaline).What is he like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭zetecescort

pluszap wrote: »
    The referee for Sunday's County Hurling Final is Nathan Wall (Carraigaline).What is he like?

never seen him myself but a quick google shows he sent off 3 Tipp players against Clare in this years Munster minor championship.

presumably a decent ref if he's doing intercounty games

never seen him myself but a quick google shows he sent off 3 Tipp players against Clare in this years Munster minor championship.

presumably a decent ref if he's doing intercounty games

3 of the clearest sendings off, remember watching the tg4 Monday night highlights and they were absolute assaults

Look at the possible candiates if jbm goes
    Ger cunningham,wont even get an interview,by media reports down to the last two im the Dublin jobs race,you would think he has the dublin job.
    John allen ,wont get it,and with respect to him I wouldnt want him as manager at this moment in time for this Cork team,as we need a tactian, but imo he doesnt even come close .Carlow are welcome to him,he will bring,organsistion,proffessionsim,expierence to them and he may do well,i.hope he does,.Would be ideal for cork as part of a set up but imo not the main man.

Jerry wallis,too much hes own man,some imo may not haveforgotten him training the striking players years ago.
    Landers no,they wont forget hes strike stance,ring brought him in as minor man, wouldnt give him the job on hes own imo.
    Pat ryan may be ,by the board,has he the time or will to do it.
    O grady too much he own man, doubt they would give it to him.

Obivously jbm has not confirmed hes gone.,hopefully he wont,but as.a poster said ,lot of talk hes gone

http://m.hoganstand.com/Home/Details/225296

A very interesting read ,in sutcliffe demands a top manager,Dublins plauerd and correctåy so dont want to step back after making huge progress the last few years.
    He demands a manager that either won all irelands as a player or manager.
    If jbm goes,the shane o neills,nashes,walsh,harnedy,horgans should do likewise imo.
    Interesting as i said before,cork football set up had no one that even won an all ireland medal in the set up even as a player at senipr intercounty for cork football.
    Danny cullothy would have been an ideal selector for cuthbhert last year ,won club intermediate county tile with Newmarket as manager and an all ireland senior medal with cork as a player.

Sean did you hear if jbm is staying or going?

Sean did you hear if jbm is staying or going?

I heard the same rumour that is going around the county that he wont come back. These are difficult times, I think IF he does go, frank will appoint Kingston as a 'caretaker' without telling Kingston and have kenneally as a selector as he did with Cuthbert and counihan. I believe it is set in stone that keneally will be manager of the cork senior hurling team within the next 2 years with an outside chance of being made manager straight away especially if Kingston is unable to take the job for a year.
    If this happens alan browne will be the u21 manager, not sure about him either.

I have seen wall in schools games he seems okay.
    Its obivously very close carrigaline to sarsfields , but.it shouldnt be a problem.

However why cant referees from other places not close to either teams be appointed.
    The ref last week in the harty cup done a fine job but hes from liscaroll close to charville newtown,dromina,etc where some players were from that were playing with charville.

Kerry played carlow i think this year,Brian Horgan the Kerry Hurling coach from Tippereary was from the same club Knockavilla/Donaskeigh Kickhams in Tippereary,played at both Club and County with he's clubmate ,the referee for that game Fergal Horgan in the past.
    Now it did not affect the game but surely refs with no connections to either teams would be better placed to referee these games imo to avoid any potential conflict of interest in the games imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Horse84

The end of the dual player?
    Huge interview here with Aidan Walsh
    http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/3/0610141610-decision-time-for-corks-aidan-walsh/
    Bottom line seems to be if JBM and co stay it's 100% hurling from him, if jimmy goes it's football.

Hughely suprised by walsh,as he said he would stay at both just months ago,but truly delighted at last common sense prevailed.
    Interesting he ended  it and not cuthbhert or jbm.
    Which one does he choose,hard to call,i support whichever he chooses,hes choiceä
    He waiting to see who is the hurling manager,hes right.
    Cahalane,cadogan,and collins have choice but to do likewise now,as one of our own says it clearly cant be done now
    If any player,i felt was going to suceed at both i felt walsh was the best hope,and im suprised after hes comments during the summer,he would continue to do both,im very proud of Aidan walsh,brave,shrewd decision to end dualism.
    Fair play Aidan.

Cahalane,cadogan next up imo  must,simply must now follow suit,and alan cadogan and collins  for them dualism is over before it started for them now imo.
    Great news at last on both fronts.
    As i said all year,dualism was always destined to fail at this elite level.Walsh highlights it quite clearly.
    Dualism at senior for any county wanting to win is over.
    As romantic as it was,realism and logic prevails.

It makes both managers look wrong in allowing it last year.

• Advertisement

I hope jbm stays,if so very interesting what they choose,jbm or cuthbhert,id have my mind made up in ten seconds.

I really hope they are not in a position to choose either kenneally or cuthbhert.
    Thats a tough call.
    What a limited choice imo.Thats not being smart geuinely but how could you say one is better if at all then the other.
    Like a soccer player,choose between Spurs or liverpool,both big clubs but in truth going nowhere soon enough with whoes in charge.
    Id choose cuthbhert marginally over kenneally.But then again id probably keep changing my mind,none of the two inspire me .

All the media,ex players,that advocated this shirade since last octotober,well they got a large dose of reality today,hopefully they will learn the lessons of the past,dont ignore whats logic is quite clear to see,they just didnt want to see it imo.Next time less of the romance and fairy tale stuff please.Fair play sarah o donovan,the first in cork media to demand a halt to that shirade.That girl should be getting more articles imo.
    It really brings the us back,cuthbhert got the job over dualism apparently, being a majior factor ,but it was a dissaster as Walsh said so,hes football miles of the required standard .

Doesnt show well on cuthbhert imo,he didnt demand halt to it,walsh had to decide.
    If this was the Dail,this shambles,heads would roll at the top table.
    Not in cork though.
    Be interesting to see what the Fan club promoting it now think.

Just my opinion but if jbm stays

Walsh will choose hurling
    Alan cadogan stays hurling
    Mark collins football shouldnt be picked for hurling so hes mind is made up,not best half forward in cork hurling,he was poor last week,again the media that lauded him all year,did not mention hes poor game
    Eoin cadogan id prefer if he stayed football but if he goes hurling,then maybee he can be a starter.Hard to know what he does.
    Im not convinced hes a full back though.
    Cahalane id imagine will stick to football.

Its enivatable,one code will suffer and thats not good,but its better we suffer looses in either code than dualism failing the teams,themselves,managers etc.

Davy fitz comes out a winner again,for those that said he had no right to issue podge an ultatuim well he was 100 per cent ,unlike our set up showed conviction and ruthless to do it ,and Walsh open,superb interview proved Podge couldnt do both .
    Well done davey and also jim gavin,easy to see why they are winners.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement