Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭lukin

On a separate note I didn't bother renewing the football season ticket for next year, just the hurling one. I don't expect the footballers to do much next year so I didn't see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

I hope jbm stays,if so very interesting what they choose,jbm or cuthbhert,id have my mind made up in ten seconds.

I really hope they are not in a position to choose either kenneally or cuthbhert.
    Thats a tough call.
    What a limited choice imo.Thats not being smart geuinely but how could you say one is better if at all then the other.
    Like a soccer player,choose between Spurs or liverpool,both big clubs but in truth going nowhere soon enough with whoes in charge.
    Id choose cuthbhert marginally over kenneally.But then again id probably keep changing my mind,none of the two inspire me .

All the media,ex players,that advocated this shirade since last octotober,well they got a large dose of reality today,hopefully they will learn the lessons of the past,dont ignore whats logic is quite clear to see,they just didnt want to see it imo.Next time less of the romance and fairy tale stuff please.Fair play sarah o donovan,the first in cork media to demand a halt to that shirade.That girl should be getting more articles imo.
    It really brings the us back,cuthbhert got the job over dualism apparently, being a majior factor ,but it was a dissaster as Walsh said so,hes football miles of the required standard .

Doesnt show well on cuthbhert imo,he didnt demand halt to it,walsh had to decide.
    If this was the Dail,this shambles,heads would roll at the top table.
    Not in cork though.
    Be interesting to see what the Fan club promoting it now think.

Just my opinion but if jbm stays

Walsh will choose hurling
    Alan cadogan stays hurling
    Mark collins football shouldnt be picked for hurling so hes mind is made up,not best half forward in cork hurling,he was poor last week,again the media that lauded him all year,did not mention hes poor game
    Eoin cadogan id prefer if he stayed football but if he goes hurling,then maybee he can be a starter.Hard to know what he does.
    Im not convinced hes a full back though.
    Cahalane id imagine will stick to football.

Its enivatable,one code will suffer and thats not good,but its better we suffer looses in either code than dualism failing the teams,themselves,managers etc.

Davy fitz comes out a winner again,for those that said he had no right to issue podge an ultatuim well he was 100 per cent ,unlike our set up showed conviction and ruthless to do it ,and Walsh open,superb interview proved Podge couldnt do both .
    Well done davey and also jim gavin,easy to see why they are winners.

Eamon Murphy (Echo) thinks Cahalane will choose hurling - I don't think he has any time for Cuthbert.
    Obviously, it's Damian's call but I think he's more likely to make it as an IC Footballer.

AW will be very interesting - his priority was football, last season but with the terrible set-up under Cuthbert - I'd guess he'll go with hurling - Lorcan and Nash may be factors that'll influence him.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Have the Dual players been offered an ultimatum in regards to picking one? I seen Walsh will only play one next year but wasn't sure if this was a personal decision or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Eamon Murphy (Echo) thinks Cahalane will choose hurling - I don't think he has any time for Cuthbert.
    Obviously, it's Damian's call but I think he's more likely to make it as an IC Footballer.

AW will be very interesting - his priority was football, last season but with the terrible set-up under Cuthbert - I'd guess he'll go with hurling - Lorcan and Nash may be factors that'll influence him.

He said that back in November but it changed by the time the championship came and that was evident in his appalling perfomrances for the footballers. Obviously the probability is the dual players will go hurling IF JBM stays on and strong rumours he wont.
    What does this say about Cuthbert as a manager? how badly does this show up his judgement in that every couple of weeks he said there was no problem with this?
    If JBM stays I wouldn't be sure about eoin cadogan, JBM didn't seem like he was interested at all in him and how he didn't come on in the semi final vs tipp with cahalane and others being destroyed is unreal. Cadogan has all the makings of an all star full back in football but with Cuthbert in charge it is difficult for any player to make that choice.
    As for cahalane no loss whatsoever for the footballers imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

The key was walsh touched on the anger other players have when a dual player starts ahead of him.
    Imo it affected moral in both camps.

Killan murphy,must be gutted,played well in bout six games dropped,nagle best half back in club last year ,couldnt get a panel place,all for cadogan who never played a game.

Mark collins pulled in to hurling training,guys like peter o brien,michael sullivan,john cronin much better options .
    I had said clearly and done a post in december outlining every single challenge game both codes in 2013.prove no way could prepartion be up to it for both codes

How both managers allowed it,highlighted by walsh football suffered,is beyond all logic.
    I am proud walsh didnt just take the easy option, im playing one,thats it,but the fact he went in to great detail saying how it failed with real examples ,imo shows hes trying to tell all ,he cant be done im choosing one for the rest of my career thats it.
    Its like he is laying down the law tp a few pppeople it has to end.He took control out of the hands of others managers,etc
    The rest of the players got to follow
    Suit now.
    They were under severe pressure to play both last year.
    Walsh was the man ended dualism,im so so so so really proud of you aidan walsh,a superb honest read.

Cahalane imo the best centre back in club for cork 2012,13,will make it,once he has football soley
    He could make it at hurling but only as a full back.

• Advertisement

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Have the Dual players been offered an ultimatum in regards to picking one? I seen Walsh will only play one next year but wasn't sure if this was a personal decision or not.

The article makes it clear crystal clear hes decision,decided after walking of the ptich v tipp

Be very interesting to see what cuthbhert thinks
    Will he do an interview?

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/10/07/dual-players-set-focus-hurling/

If jbm stays this happend,its an awful reflection on cuthbhert

If so for the love of cork football can we do a sligo,and westmeath,sack our manager purely on results .

There is no alternatives if jbm goes,they say ,its true but we have one crying out for the job,just make the call to cunningham.They wont though.
    If not,o grady,if not kingston and jerry wallis,make them offers they simply cant refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/10/07/dual-players-set-focus-hurling/

If jbm stays this happend,its an awful reflection on cuthbhert

If so for the love of cork football can we do a sligo,and westmeath,sack our manager purely on results .

There is no alternatives if jbm goes,they say ,its true but we have one crying out for the job,just make the call to cunningham.They wont though.
    If not,o grady,if not kingston and jerry wallis,make them offers they simply cant refuse.

TTM, if JBM stays and the dual players including Collins go hurling it is a public vote of no confidence in Cuthbert and a statement that this fella is a bluffer - in any other county this allied with results would mean a change, in cork...............the ironic thing is the only thing that will save cuthberts public embarrasmentis if frank appoints pat kennealy as senior manager!!!!! not beyond the rounds of possibilities that cork gaa has the 2 worst managers in charge of their elite teams in its history

I was just thinking the same sean and for a man they support to the hilt,wouldnt suprise me they put keneally in now,as if they dont,clear as day there will be a mass cull to hurling and huge pressure on cuthbhert tenure.The county board dont want to be put in to an awkward position,they could apppoint kenneally to save face

Remember no manager in corks history has been sacked,cuthbhert doesnt strike me has the type to resign .

Cork players have momentum now,simple really,do a danny sutcliffe,a horgan or nash or walsh say they demand an all ireland.medal winner as manager either as a player or manager,dont have to name kenneally,but that effectively rules him out.
    Play the board at their own game
    Their not going on strike,just asking for a top man,please god the real gaa men like eammon murphy in echo will push the story.

Now is the time,for it to be made clear,kenneally is not an option.
    Time for leaders to stand tall,in the media,team,and the club delegates all for the better of cork hurling.
    Dont stand back in quietness and watch and allow Cork hurling be destroyed,speak now.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

lukin wrote: »
    On a separate note I didn't bother renewing the football season ticket for next year, just the hurling one. I don't expect the footballers to do much next year so I didn't see the point.

Some pain in the whole with all the northern away games in the league too.

• Advertisement

Rega wrote: »
    Some pain in the whole with all the northern away games in the league too.

Imo thats not the problem travelling

What is the straw that breaks the camels back is knowing unless things change footballers.beaten before they start

I.can understand lukins view,to be honest ist time for me ,im seriously considering if id go yo a senior game or.u 21 if its.away.
    Probably would for players but its very hard when its one shbles yeat after year
    I go as i know its.not the players fault
    Walsh stance.has opened up some real truth in cork gaa

The cork county board and cuthbhert must be asked the hard questions

Cunningham to be announced tommorrow night as Dublin hurling manager.3 year term according to the media
    I never thought id be a fan of them but in hurling my second team.
    What a statement of intent by dublin hurling,i got change my prediction,dublin could beat us in the league in croker

You see cork hurling looses two fronts,we dont get better without him,but we make one of our opponents remotely stronger.

Kilkenny,clare,are the leading contenders ,hard to say til we know where cork hurling is at,dublin are next ,ahead of tipp for an all ireland within three years as tipp will beat most teams but not kilkenny.Tipp need new players.as kilkenny have well and truly their number at this stage.
    O shea done well with them but they may need a fresh voice.
    Wexford be strong,limerick wont.be.
    In fact in the next three years under cunningham dublin they will improve,limerick will imo be very poor next year.Dublin,wexford much better than them.

Laois are making progress with a very young team.
    Waterford hard to say,but have the talent.
    Galway ,i doubt it,one big win thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Walsh has made a serious balls-up by saying that he would only play one code next year but not selecting which code at the same time.

It's now inevitable that his decision will be seen as a judgement on the management teams and the prospects of the two teams.

No matter what he says when he decides, it will come across as a serious snub to whichever team is not selected.

The management of the hurlers is the only factor up for discussion at the moment and it's clear that he appears to be waiting for the issue of who will be the hurling manager to be resolved before committing to one code, given it's been more than 2 months since the footballers left the championship and not far off the same for the hurlers.

You have to wonder just what Walsh was at saying he would only be playing one code next year but not saying which one.

Are you having a laugh or actually serious

Dare not critisce in cork,christ we still have disciples of that wisdom

It was no balls up by walsh in fact he showed serious balls,real real balls to say it staight im choosing one code and waiting til hurlibg manager decideded,said jbm,like echo said ,cahalane likely to be hurling if its jbm

i suggest boom you reread the article he said talent is in football,in hurling ,notice he didnt praise football managemenet

Hes basically saying hurling with jbm,not saying its players means he rates hurling management more and is absoulteåøly correct in exposing football shambles

Youre views baffle me,year we had you still expect people shut shop.ffs hes a player,every right to say how he feels,and he cant decide between codes when hurling is unknown.Common sense.
    Would you commit buying a car without an nct

Jesus ,i wouldnt even buy a dog ,without knowing it had all its vaccines,you expect him to choose a code with so much uncertainty.
    He wants to win things the shirade of dualism went on long enough as it is with dualism,what do you wanr,hold off and do a cuthbhert ,jbm ,hold a review in three months.
    Good old coTyrk,never a right time to call a spade a spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭solwhit2

TTM dualism was not the reason cork lost to Tipperary .you seem to blame everyone but the players . you might have a point about Cuthbert but cork hurling is very poor you could bring in Cody and Davy fitz the same thing we're not good enough until we start winning underage.just look at the sub's bench a lot of average hurlers .senior hurling in cork is very poor .we're still as good as a lot of counties but that's not enough we need better players that is all that is wrong not dualism or the coaching staff.dualism doesn't seem to affect briege corkery so why does it affect Walsh and co?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

The worst part of the dualism was the fact that it greatly annoyed other squad players to see the dual players getting a place on the team ahead of them while only putting in 50% of the effort. This was always going to be a problem for team moral. Walsh has pretty much said that players weren't happy with that aspect of dualism although he doesn't say which camp was more frustrated, the hurlers or the footballers. I reckon both equally. In theory certain players might be able to play both codes to a high level. Walsh was considered to be the best chance of this happening because of his athletic ability but even he admits it's not possible. It wouldn't surprise me if the hurler's camp moral was affected ahead of the Tipp game. It's hard to think of reasons why the management and players tanked so badly that day.

Also Cuthbert seems to be getting unfair criticism on the subject of dualism. I've read and listened to several interviews with JBM on the subject of dualism. And JBM always used the same cop out as Cuthbert, he always said they'd have to wait and see or review it later or some other answer to basically avoid answering the question honestly. The situation suited neither manager. But neither manager gave an ultimatum in the same way that O' Grady did when he was manager of the Cork hurlers. And for all his faults, Counihan made damn sure that players only picked football under his regime. And I might add Counihan made sure that his business was all done quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Are you having a laugh or actually serious

Dare not critisce in cork,christ we still have disciples of that wisdom

It was no balls up by walsh in fact he showed serious balls,real real balls to say it staight im choosing one code and waiting til hurlibg manager decideded,said jbm,like echo said ,cahalane likely to be hurling if its jbm

i suggest boom you reread the article he said talent is in football,in hurling ,notice he didnt praise football managemenet

Hes basically saying hurling with jbm,not saying its players means he rates hurling management more and is absoulteåøly correct in exposing football shambles

Youre views baffle me,year we had you still expect people shut shop.ffs hes a player,every right to say how he feels,and he cant decide between codes when hurling is unknown.Common sense.
    Would you commit buying a car without an nct

Jesus ,i wouldnt even buy a dog ,without knowing it had all its vaccines,you expect him to choose a code with so much uncertainty.
    He wants to win things the shirade of dualism went on long enough as it is with dualism,what do you wanr,hold off and do a cuthbhert ,jbm ,hold a review in three months.
    Good old coTyrk,never a right time to call a spade a spade.

First off - I'm not from Cork, my view is of an outsider looking in from over the county bounds [albeit one who's had and has family in Cork, went to university in Cork, even has a sister married there (was even dragged along to an U6 hurling training session with my nephew a few weeks back for my sins) and has a rake of friends and acquaintances in Cork. For my sins, a serious chunk of conversations I have end up involving Cork GAA.

I think it would have been far easier and smarter and better for Cork GAA if Walsh had not said anything about what he was going to do next year until after the management situation was resolved.

I fail to see how his statement does any good and I can see it doing a lot of harm, when he announces his decision, after the management situation has been resolved. Whichever team is snubbed is going to take a serious hit to the morale. He's free to say whatever he wants and of course he would want to know who the manager of the hurlers will be but i just don't understand why he didnt wait until later to announce this and minimise the fuss. If the fuss was going to serve some good that would be a different case, but I really can't see how it is of any benefit.

Also it's worth remembering that he was the prime driver behind the charade of dualism this year - while Cuthbert and JBM facilitated it, he was the main reason for the whole dualism debacle.

Newtown
    Eric maloney
    Billy naughton
    Darragh browne
    Padraic hassets
    Michael maguire
    Conor twomey
    Mikey curtin
    Brian morriesy
    Eric o connor
    Tim o mahony
    Kieran cagney
    David geary
    Jc coughlan
    Diarmuid buckley
    Jp maloney

Subs
    Stephen o connor
    Sean griffin
    Jerry lane
    They had a few out

Duhallow
    Darragh kearney
    Paudie allen
    Ristard o connor
    Alan ryan
    ??
    Gavin forde
    Mikey o gorman
    Lorchan o neill
    Jason callaghan
    Donnach kearney
    Donal hannon
    Ian walsh
    Conor murphy
    James fitzpatrick
    Barry o connor
    Subs
    Mccauliffe
    Browne
    Walsh
    Crowley
    Liam O keoffe
    Niall field
    garret lenihan
    James casey
    Conor o keoffe
    Colm noonan Wet
    Tj brosnan
    Brendan o mahony

In poor conditions espiceally in extra time,torrential rain,so much couldnt see the sliothar at times,and worse i have ever seen nearly,so bad it nearly washed the cork logo of my under pants,rain seeping through my pants,an epic,enthralling ,awesome game though,two very good,sides ended full time 2-14 a piece hannon,o connor,goals for duhallow,newton coughlan penalty,tim o mahony goal

Extra time diarmuid buckley,lorchan o neill both sent off,ended newtown 4-20 to duhallow two -16 but this was closer than that

There was a poster last week,spoke duhallow would not just win but destroy newtown as they woulnt be hungover like the last day
    some assement Well done lad.

To be honest i said it then,any team could win it,and could have tonight but i said it be close.
    Totally with respect, it was nonense to dismiss newtown imo any team coached by a proven coach in liam ryan,as they would be destroyed.Blackrock may be the exception.
    Some humble pie for some I think.

Duhallow were missing tj brosnan,a loss but not the reason they lost imo,browne absent,a loss also.
    Donal hannon was brillant,some man to win ball, and score,forde,kearney in goal,3 great saves,ian walsh had fine games all credit due.

Duhallow had a huge half time lead with a big wind of around ten points but took off ian walsh,naively thought the game was over.
    They brought him back on in extra time

Newtown,eric o connor,conor twomey,griffin as sub,coughlan,maloney,maguire had a superb games
    Man of the match imo was tim o mahony named at ten,played at times at 14,was immense,caught the world of ball,in awful conditions ,two superb goals imo.man of the match,playing harty cup,played senior for newtown,imo if started would beat na piarsaigh,as caused brillant darren mannix problems,is some talent,certain cork minor next year
    Cork minors had trials fringe players last weekend
    Superb advertisment cork hurling tonight

Dean ryan cup tommorrow midelton v st flannans,i dont think i can make the game unfortunately.

Newtown v carriglaine saturday I think,bar extra time id said newtown to win that game,but now with only a few days for recovery,few injuries,without buckley,they can win but its a huge huge ask imo.
    Duhallow are a fine side,all credit due.Duhallow are a credit to cork hurling,doing outstanding work down there.
    I cant see anybody beating blackrock as they are not just talented players but in fergal ryan they compliment them with a good manager.

Solwhit you have valid points be fair

But look comparing ladies to the men is not similar,i explained thos three weeks ago.
    I dont want to do.it again as I.have huge huge huge time for both their teams,and the month it is I dont want any negaitivity my post regards them at this moment in time.

Why is black black?
    It just is.The same in mens dualism it cant work.Ladies proved tobe fair to them,it worked as both won all irelands.
    Aidan walsh just explained why it cant work.
    You hear it from the horses mouth yet you still ??why
    Ladies and mens gaa for many reasons are different

I never blamed totally cork hurling for dualism,read my posts please.
    I blamed also the lack of a tactical coach ,no full back,joyce out of position etc,lets be clear

But dualism as walsh said didnt help moral or prepartion and espiceally cork football midfield crisis.
    It also showed kerry,mayo,dublin etc.we.were not serious contenders.
    It showed us we had a manager that pleased the county boards request,not hes own man.

Boom ,the time was now for walsh,and many today are delighted for hes honest article.He had no ego but honesty and truth unlike some to admit it was a mistake and call a halt to the shirade.

Archer,this dont be too harsh regards cuthbhert,im sorry is nonense imo.
    Yes and i said it jbm,was to blame.for dualism also but cuthbhert could have said it no from day one to walsh,cadogan,cahalane but he didn't.
    You being the optimist said ,cuthbhert would end it in the summer etc.
    I being the realist doubted this.
    Now walsh had to end this shirade

I dont blame the players they dont pick the team,course they wanted to do both.
    But a manager has unlike players no emotion to it,so he can make and should that call

If jbm stays and i heard if true he was going but has now being convinced by the board to do a u turn will stay but with a bran new backroom team,and kingston i heard is gone ,it ishes own decision,walsh will likely choose hurling imo

The word regards flanganan in the football is postive,but as i said what and how much input he will be given will be crucial to hes success

I heard,ronan mccarthy was hughely regarded by the players and wasnt given much input as he should have been as coach.
    He walked away,and to say it was work commitments while its to a point is true,that wasnt the whole reason

Archer,what do you make of this year,?
    How would you rate cuthbherts term?
    Should he stay?
    And last but not least what are your mininium expectaions of cork in the league and championship for a mininum standard of acceptance of Cork Senior Footballers in 2015 please??

• Advertisement

Huge.huge game for cork hurling in dean ryan cup ,if midelton win against last year white cup runners up flannans ,rochestown pulled out , would then meet charville are in the semi final so midelton win and cork guranteed dean ryan cup finalist second year in a row
    Best of luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Thinkstoomuch1.... Any truth that Newtown are to refuse to accept the North cork cup and will play Charleville for the title. Would be some game and draw big crowd esp. if Charleville win the intermediate county.
    Getting back to the Dual player issue. It must have been some eye opener for Aidan Walsh to see the support and goodwill towards Cork Hurlers. Huge crowds at all championship matches with 20000 plus cork supporters present compared to Footballlers who get big cork crowd for Munster final and All Ireland final if they get there. Even with both camps going well there must bea superior buzz to be a cork hurler. Outside of munster and All Ireland final cork footballers are the poor relation and this has to affffect a player who has ability to play both. Walsh can join a very elite band if he wins an AI hurling medal.

Duhallow should beat Newtown handy enough in the replay. That was the first time they togged together and some of them will have gotten over their hangovers :)

Newtown 4-20 charville 2-16
    Unjustifed arrorgance in sport never works well

Smith614 wrote: »
    Thinkstoomuch1.... Any truth that Newtown are to refuse to accept the North cork cup and will play Charleville for the title. Would be some game and draw big crowd esp. if Charleville win the intermediate county.
    Getting back to the Dual player issue. It must have been some eye opener for Aidan Walsh to see the support and goodwill towards Cork Hurlers. Huge crowds at all championship matches with 20000 plus cork supporters present compared to Footballlers who get big cork crowd for Munster final and All Ireland final if they get there. Even with both camps going well there must bea superior buzz to be a cork hurler. Outside of munster and All Ireland final cork footballers are the poor relation and this has to affffect a player who has ability to play both. Walsh can join a very elite band if he wins an AI hurling medal.

Ill check it out for you smith

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/jbm-exit-reports-are-rubbish-blasts-ryan-290365.html

But they still cant confirm if he is staying going,.so he could be going
    Last year they had ger c as selector for 2014 web site when he pole positition for the limerick job.Then he left cork.
    Hard to know.

I heard if true jbm was gone but credit with jbm they managed to get him do a u turn.Theres hope.
    It will apparently be a new management set up.
    Strong word is if jbm did go,kenneally is the boards choice.Lots of that talk even at the match last night if its true.Whenever jbm goes ,he could be in contention.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/ger-cunningham-could-be-named-as-dublin-manager-this-week-1.1955290
    See way sutcliffe a great,i mean a great,really great player has a vision and a Demand for success for dublin hurling.Not only has sutcliffe talent,but he has the paul o connell,roy keane,ghraham canty,cusack, tony mcoy alä sporting greats,I mean Greats now,demands for better.You got to just got to applaud sutcliffe for that.
    That want,that hunger that desire for success and Realism he inhibits within hes sporting soul.Epically imo applaudable and admirable.

Shocking to read again here ger c couldnt even get an interview in 2006 .
    Patsy morrisey the same.
    Everbody is unaminous in cork it seems want jbm to stay.

It wont happen imo but it would take same logic to explain how allen could be chosen over cunningham if dublin done ,unlikey,the unthinkable.

Cunningham skillset as manager imo is worlds apart tactially,drills,ruthless exeuction compared to John allen imo.
    Cunningham success rate is awesome,runs a tight ship,hes so innovative, can play a short game or long game

Key to cunningham ,is he has qualites like a Polar bear imo,Hes Ability to adapt to survive and endure the most extreme natural conditions.
    A polar bear doesnt have to hibernate in extreme winters,he has insulating fur to surive the bitter cold.He stands tall and faces it out.

Cunningham has an insulating cover imo made up of steely resolve,with sublime hurling intellingence that in the cold,cut throat ruthless gaa world he can survive amongst the Greats like cody and davy fitz.
    Cunningham evolves, he never stays static,always thrives for perfection.
    Like a polar bear he naturally adapts to hes surrondings,a real sense of how to survive.

Paul flynn gave a messormic,gloryfing interview regards him years ago.Hes so ahead of hes, time words cant quantify how great he is.I seen hes drills,top top class.
    Dublin have just won the lotto.Congratualtions lads.Im a huge fan of daly but cunningham is better.
    Guraranteed like any great manager does he will surround himself with expierenced,competent,top class backroom team,it wont be a naive,inexpierenced set up of just ex great players with no proven coaching success,it will be well balanced.I cant wait to see 2015,he with dublin brings a real fresh energy to the season.
    He will relish the duels with cody,in particular,with wexford also improving,laois doing well,leinster at last getting competive and maybee galway if they get their house in order,a big big IF imo.

Another Beautfuil peace from Michael Moyinhan two years ago that wonderfully illustrates cunninghams genuis ability.A players man,but by no means a soft touch,steely resolve within,like a nut,difficult to crack,and can and will stand the tests of time.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/michael-moynihan/players-must-keep-testing-themselves-191317.html

Aidan kelleher got cork u 21 selector,replaces mick o loughin

To be honest purley in gaa,no one can doubt hes committment or passion,but imo mick was involved with far too many cork teams when there was much better candiates avaiäble imo.
    Its good for cork hes gone,once cuthbhert doesnt bring him in to senior set up.
    Aidan kelleher was team doctor with cork minors 2010,to be fair hes meant to be good ,as a selector as he played gaa,and i think still does,coached teams in clondrohid their minor team,hes worth having there and also meant to be a fine doctor.Young innovative gaa man i heard.

I see no problem with it,wish aidan the best,good coaching team next year but buckley with kerry pulling the strings,Darragh will proclaim he is ,are a serious serious threat down in cork should they meet to cork dominance.

Buckley one of the real great coaches.Saw him in clare years ago,unbelievable coach,not a bluffer or spoofer,real top top coach.Any team would be lucky to have him.
    I have Huge respect and admiration for the man.Greatness irrespective where there from does that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Midleton after winning in the Dean Ryan, Colmans are out AET against Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Solwhit you have valid points be fair

But look comparing ladies to the men is not similar,i explained thos three weeks ago.
    I dont want to do.it again as I.have huge huge huge time for both their teams,and the month it is I dont want any negaitivity my post regards them at this moment in time.

Why is black black?
    It just is.The same in mens dualism it cant work.Ladies proved tobe fair to them,it worked as both won all irelands.
    Aidan walsh just explained why it cant work.
    You hear it from the horses mouth yet you still ??why
    Ladies and mens gaa for many reasons are different

I never blamed totally cork hurling for dualism,read my posts please.
    I blamed also the lack of a tactical coach ,no full back,joyce out of position etc,lets be clear

But dualism as walsh said didnt help moral or prepartion and espiceally cork football midfield crisis.
    It also showed kerry,mayo,dublin etc.we.were not serious contenders.
    It showed us we had a manager that pleased the county boards request,not hes own man.

Boom ,the time was now for walsh,and many today are delighted for hes honest article.He had no ego but honesty and truth unlike some to admit it was a mistake and call a halt to the shirade.

Archer,this dont be too harsh regards cuthbhert,im sorry is nonense imo.
    Yes and i said it jbm,was to blame.for dualism also but cuthbhert could have said it no from day one to walsh,cadogan,cahalane but he didn't.
    You being the optimist said ,cuthbhert would end it in the summer etc.
    I being the realist doubted this.
    Now walsh had to end this shirade

I dont blame the players they dont pick the team,course they wanted to do both.
    But a manager has unlike players no emotion to it,so he can make and should that call

If jbm stays and i heard if true he was going but has now being convinced by the board to do a u turn will stay but with a bran new backroom team,and kingston i heard is gone ,it ishes own decision,walsh will likely choose hurling imo

The word regards flanganan in the football is postive,but as i said what and how much input he will be given will be crucial to hes success

I heard,ronan mccarthy was hughely regarded by the players and wasnt given much input as he should have been as coach.
    He walked away,and to say it was work commitments while its to a point is true,that wasnt the whole reason

Archer,what do you make of this year,?
    How would you rate cuthbherts term?
    Should he stay?
    And last but not least what are your mininium expectaions of cork in the league and championship for a mininum standard of acceptance of Cork Senior Footballers in 2015 please??
    I'm not saying not to be harsh or too harsh on Cuthbert. I'm just saying that you should be equally hard or harsh on JBM. JBM was Cork hurling manger for a full two years before the dualism was even brought up as a possibility. Like I said in a previous post Counihan made damn sure in 2012 and 2013 that dualism would not be allowed. And to be fair to Counihan none of the players said anything about the topic. Things must have happened behind the scenes but obviously nothing ever came out publicly. I would imagine Counihan told JBM and the county board that he would not allow dualism. In 2014 JBM and the county board obviously pushed the issue of dualism. JBM would be a fool not to try to get Aidan Walsh, Eoin Cadogan and Damien Cahalane on board. A manager has to do everything he can to get the best players involved and to get the very best out of those players. I don't blame JBM for wanting to improve his squad but in hindsight it not only hurt the footballers. It also hurt the hurlers.

So, it would appear that Counihan had the power and authority and respect of the players to make sure that dualism did not happen. Cuthbert, on the other hand, in his first year in charge did not have that authority or power or respect. I don't think that Cuthbert could have made such an imposition on the players in his first year as manager. I think Cuthbert did what he had to do in his first year. I think he toed the party line and bit his tongue. At every opportunity Cuthbert said that they needed to keep monitoring or reviewing dualism. He never gave his full support. I think in political terms, Cuthbert did what he had to do.

In the coming weeks and months, we'll see what happens. I think alot of things will happen behind closed doors. I think both managers will talk to all the players and I'm sure the players will choose one or the other and I think nothing will be said publicly about dualism anymore. I don't think either football or hurling manager will put down a public ban. Remember that O'Grady and Counihan never made anything public but it was obvious what was happening.

I'm not sure if many people have seen John Fogarty's second article regarding Aidan Walsh and dualism that appeared in the Examiner yesterday 07/10/204. I will attach the article as a jpeg. What I found interesting about this second article is the fact that John Fogarty believes that Aidan Walsh will pick football next year instead of hurling. Secondly, what is even more interesting are direct quotes from Aidan Walsh which suggest that the Cork football camp may not be as bad as it appears under Cuthbert. I will give two quotes in full.

"We know ourselves we are not far off it, we know the football is there and we have the team that can produce the goods. We played that Kerry team, I know it's the league, but we played them in Tralee and played outstanding football. It's just to do it at the vital times and the vital periods of the game."

"Talking to a lot of the lads, they are looking forward to the coming year. Fellas are a year older and there are a group of lads in 2010 who are coming into their late 20s. They all want to produce the goods. That's something that is pushing this forward."

And if anyone wants to read the article in full it is attached as a jpeg.

Midelton cbs alwuyn kearney tim collins manager coaches

Ross walsh
    Ed leay
    Sean o.leary
    Kiean o commor
    Sesn i.o meara
    Jack macdonell
    Ryan mcconville
    Darre crotty
    Brendsn twomey two pointsz
    Liam o shea
    Andy leahy great goal free 3 passes width of the ptich.Then second suprerb goal
    Charlie terry
    Padraig o.brien
    Chris keegan goal
    Liam gosnell cracking goal at a crucial time to make it
    Subs

Chris power on the 40th minute for liam o shea

Half time midelton 1-5 flannans 1-4

Final result Dean Rysn Cup Hurling Quater Final Midelton  cbs 4-7 to flannans 3-7

Great win play to charville in semi gurarenteed cork team in dean ryan cup final for the second year in a row
    Everybody played well,credit due but gosnell,crotty,mcdonnell,mcconville,leahy were exceptional in awful wet heavy conditions for hurling against a superbly coached st flannans with jamsie o connor who played a sweeper system,clares type of hurling in a great great game, immense Credit due to both teams.A late flannans goal from a free had it from six down to three with just two minutes left but man of the match imo andy leahy then got a crucial crucial point to settle them.Dave meskesall ,conor lynch were very good for st flannans.

St flannans jamsie.o connor coach

• Advertisement

Ger cunningham taking seanie mcgrath ucc with him for dublin job.

Gutted hear bout colmans but ist game out went down fighting in extra timr
    They were comeptive,cant ask any.more well done to them
    You at the game orizo any team??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement