Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Yeah Pa opted out of all inter county involvement for the year I heard. Fair play for not risking himself for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

id agree north cork star.
    Delighted for ballyhea ,they had bonfires burning outside the corbrett hotel even as early six last eveining heardSome celebations down there.
    Newtown,milford,were all shouting for them from what i heard also.
    They had flags everywhere in fairness .
    Small parish  but huge heart.A real real hurling club.
    Im gutted for newestown  have core values i admire,doggedness ,spirit,play for the jersey,never give up ,are some club in fairness.
    They had a lot of heart breaking defeats at different grades this year.I hope they come back,they will,clubs like them know no other way,always do.
    Luke meade,huge fan of hes hurling,thought he worked very hard.

Lixnaw be tough enough.
    Pa will be called you would think,but imo,i doubt he will be on the senior panel next year.But if anyone can entice him its certainly jbm.He declined to join the senior panel,wanted a clear run from injuries.
    The cork u 21 hurling set up there may be a change in it,if there is,interesting if pa joins next year.

The strike on the solo,ben o connor was a genuis at it.Hes so elusive also,very tricky forward in the mould of alan cadogan,podge collins.
    He bulked up yes but hes finally got a run of games in a well coached teams,a proven club coach,he was always going to showcase hes talents.
    As for the junior  semi final replay hard to call,cloughduv v castlematyr.
    On paper castlematyr should be winning,but it seens,same old,same old them, they make it harder than it actually is.They have been around a while in fairness should be winning those games,ist time out.

Credit cloughduv,fine hurling club in fairness,home of murray brothers,i think cork camoige player lynn,stephanie dunlea also came from there if im correct.

Second replay they had this year.hardly the sign of a great team imo ,more so at best,solid, good but limited in how far they can actually progress to in could they go futher.

Id fancy them to win the replay,i  cant see them doing much next year though in the next grade up should they actually win it.
    But they could struggle to beat ballinshsig if they make the final.
    Ballinshsig cant reprersent cork,so cloughduv or castlemstyr will do it in munster.

Milstreet irrespecttive of the barrs game have a tough semi final should they beat clare,have to go to kerry in a,semifinal.
    It would be great if they were at least competive.
    Barrs in the cork final,are beatable,passage and kilshannig both pushed them close.
    They have ex cork senior jim o donoughe with them.

http://www.gaacork.ie/news/331947/Cork_County_AIB_Munster_Club_Championships_2014_Update

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

So just to get this straight, Cloughduv repeatedly win the Mid-Cork Junior but repeatedly fail to win the county and 'they are a fine hurling club' that deserve lots of 'credit'. Castlemartyr repeatedly win the East Cork Junior but repeatedly fail to win the county and they are the 'same old same old', a club that can't do it when the going gets tough?

I swear some lad from Castlemartyr must have bullied you when you were young TTM. Obsessed.

Ah would you stop ,the man that loves to dismiss any player or team with one line,statements ,and no back up of facts,gets rattled cause i call it as it is.
    Look its well known your completly biased towards that club,lets keep it real.
    I said it many times i have time for them,check up last year,i praised them,former great players .
    I praised many up and coming young players from there and kilthra og,they deseeve it.
    Now just cause me like many here feel lawton is not a cork senior you got offended in the past.Try and Keep it real.

My critisicms are purely valid.
    Clougduv punched way about their weight in comparsion,got two county finals in 09,2010 bwaten by meelin one year who went on to win the all ireland.
    Castlenatyr are a fine club,but flatter to decieve havent won a,county junior since 1964,cloughduv at least won it in 1970.Its been years since ye even got to do a final.Win it,then ill give credit where due.

Casrlematyr imo have are much bigger inhurling but dont do themselves justice,cloughduv do ,get every last inch from them.
    Now you want to accept and glorify medicority in terms your happy not to be winning countys fair play,good lad,well done.
    Your ruthless anyalis at times is good but you are great to do it when its not your own club.
    Simple fact is ye should be doing way more with yere team on paper than cloughduv,struggled to beat newestown who lost key lads to others grades.
    Ye lost a game to kilbrin last year should of won.
    Ye should be beating newestown,cloughduv but takes two games,imo justifys why i have remain unconvinced by ye.
    Sorry in advance if realism busts your bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Thinkstoomuch1..... You say any team who draws twice in championship is ahrdly the sign of a great team, does that mean Fermoy are not up to much in the intermediate hurling championship and as a result should make Charleville favorites. In 2013 Kanturk beat both Charleville and Fermoy by the minimum and walked the county final. It appears the 2 best teams have made the final this yr. This intermediate final has the makings of a cracker.

• Advertisement

The main point is unlike kanturk who learned lessons of the past im kilworth loss,castlemartyr are imo not learning lessons from the kilbrin defeat in.how to actually close out a game.Twice so far havent done it.Castlematyt.have been knocking on the door for some time now to be honest.
    Take it in context.
    Fermoy and charville to be fair are both very young teams,both have.learned lessons of the past,shame one has to loose.
    Very hard to call,ring is an.outstsnding manager,so is peter finn both proven successful men at club,finn imo deserves huge credit for hes progress in just one year.
    I.dont mind who wins,both have a lot to offer various cork teams imo next year,young potential very good players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Clougduv punched way about their weight in comparsion,got two county finals in 09,2010 bwaten by meelin one year who went on to win the all ireland.

Casrlematyr imo have are much bigger inhurling but dont do themselves justice,cloughduv do ,get every last inch from them.
    Now you want to accept and glorify medicority in terms your happy not to be winning countys fair play,good lad,well done.
    Your ruthless anyalis at times is good but you are great to do it when its not your own club.
    Simple fact is ye should be doing way more with yere team on paper than cloughduv,struggled to beat newestown who lost key lads to others grades.
    Ye lost a game to kilbrin last year should of won.
    Ye should be beating newestown,cloughduv but takes two games,imo justifys why i have remain unconvinced by ye.
    Sorry in advance if realism busts your bubble.

How could we possibly be bigger in hurling than Cloughduv, a club that once upon a time was senior and has repeatedly won intermediate counties? :confused:

Moreover you realise we have one of the smallest picks in East Cork? We are surrounded by clubs with much bigger picks (O'Neills, Midleton, Killeagh etc), we pick from bits and pieces of Ballintotis, a few farmers here and there, Mogeely which is almost all soccer and Castlemartyr town. Our numbers are so low at underage we had no choice but to join with Dungourney. Our underage success over the past few decades has almost been non-existent. The current squad is almost entirely built around a couple of semi-decent underage groups almost a decade ago. We are a small club surrounded by much bigger ones, and its a testament to the club itself that we have done so much in recent years and been so well represented at an inter-county level despite such a small pick and such small resources.

Regardless you are being a hypocrite. Both teams have repeatedly won at divisional level and repeatedly failed to win the county. In your bizarro-logic, this makes Cloughduv a great club, and Castlemartyr a **** one. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

Kanturk beat tracton in the fourth round 1-18 to Tracton 2-13
    Brick was outstanding at centre forward,one five from play,tracton would have won but for Aidan walsh swapping from midfield back to centre back,to curb him under the high ball as he was too great for John browne(not the Cork John Browne)to mark.
    Brick by name Brick by nature in he was all credit due immensly solid,resoute,in hail,rain or snow,a fine hurler that i rate very highely and has lots of hurling skills but unlike patrick horgan,real dog inner resolve when the going gets tough.
    To answer your query Kerry Dude the only word that truly justifes Shane Bricks season for Tracton imo is Great.
    I remember him against Waterford in 2003. The last time Kerry played in Munster?

Would you could the crap please,can we have realism not fairytale or romanctic ideas,valentines day is not til february,what do want me to get a violin and play it and sing the song crying,and dedicate it to your club.

Heres some real fact and realisim.
    What to jesus do you think newtownshandrum were??do you realise the,size of the parish,surrounded by charville,dromina,milford,kilmallock to a point  if they wanted to go their,you do know won four counties senior,intermediate,all ireland senior,club title,two munsters plus another all ireland final.You could walk through there in two minute aprox ,its so small.Dont bulls##t me with nonense please.
    Meelin close by win all ireland junior title,yes an all ireland,ffs ye cant even win a county title.

Ballymartle small club had success,now Senior,yes Senior and always competitng.
    There great clubs,yere way of them success wise.Again i acknowleded castlelmatry were once great but now arent doing what they should be doing.

Clyda rovers,surronded by mallow a big town,kilshanning,grenagh won munster club title,then senior ranking.Castlehaven in the football.

All those have just the same problems as castlematyr,Dont talk nonense with respect please
    Ye have had average success but thats all,nothing great now.
    This we are small club bull and utter nononense  is,dissaproven by other clubs.
    Im not asking ye win a county senior now, but its attainable ye win a county junior at the very least than playing the poor old small club when it doesnt hold up in yere case.

Casrlematyr imo on paper in hurling should be beating cloghduv
    In faireness winning a mid cork is tougher than east cork ,as proven  more mid cork teams winning the last twenty years ,in dripsey,cloughduv ,blarney etc,so winning county mid cork is harder on cloughduv and imo doing great down their.When did ye last get to a final a long,long,long,very long time ago,not an opinion but a fact.

East cork ,is poor enough in junior at times,making ye look better what ye are.
    You  ,i agree ,have said like me sars winning senior county is no good for cork as in munster there poor .

Same concept  here,ye,winning and dominating east cork is poor imo for them when ye cant win a county.But you see it as wonderful,as its your club.Yere imo doing east cork hurling no favours if time and again ye fail to drive on just like sarsfields in cork if they dont win a munster

There is no other  excuse ye dont win it,bar ye just been a limited team that arent as good as ye actually think ye are.You want to kid yourself or accept mediocity, yere going no where in truth.
    Ye dont win a county ,east cork championships hardly great ,now imo.
    Ballyhea,same pick as ye,smaller id argue won an intermediate county yesterday ,put your views on yere great success to bed,as down right nonense .Take a drive down there,see how small clubs they are.They have attained real success.
    Ballyclough,comepting with football won a junior b county tile,real success for them.

similar as ye  in club size all those i mentionef but castlematyr  ,have a different attuide,dont sit back on excuses they actually Make things happen.
    Dream on lad,you fool no one ,well bar maybee castlematyr with that nonense with all due respect.
    But to be fair ,i know some down there that said winning a county is essential,and well attainable for a club like ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Interesting about Pa O'Callaghan taking the year out. Rumours had it was because he has a back injury and didn't want to over do it. When you look at it, he made the right decision not going with the Cork Seniors this year. It gave him the breathing space to improve himself physically, concentrate on club activity and to improve his overall hurling which I think improved big time in the last year. Regarding him not playing U21 with Cork this year, was it for the above reason or was it because he wasn't in favour of the U21 Management this year. More than likely both reasons. If there is a change in the management, it would be interesting to see what he will do. Going back to him maybe joining the seniors next year, as you said, he might not join with them. There is no rush either. He is only 19 years of age. Another year with club, now up Senior and in the Munster Intermediate Championship, waiting another could be the best for him.

• Advertisement

Eugene o leary looked good,on minor preminariy panel earlier for cork

Is it true north cork hes in to horses ????may be go their down the line.

Yeah he was dropped fairly quickly from that Cork Minor Panel. I thought they would have kept him on the panel at least. He is quite dangerous when he gets on the ball. Got 3 points yesterday. Eugene is into horses I know but no rumours that it was threatening his hurling career anyway.

Yeah he was dropped fairly quickly from that Cork Minor Panel. I thought they would have kept him on the panel at least. He is quite dangerous when he gets on the ball. Got 3 points yesterday. Eugene is into horses I know but no rumours that it was threatening his hurling career anyway.

Thanks great to hear that
    There was stiff compztitipn at minor this year

That's true alright. Denis Ring, John Mortell and Mark Landers know who's best. There was a good panel there this year and supposedly again next year.

No offence to john mortell,nice fella,hurling management not my cup of tea though
    He was like on many teams before put on their by the board.

Martin and o dwyer bring much more to the set up imo,good shrewd hurling men.
    There is much better options than him,but if it means we have four shrewd men,then mortell is fine
    The main coach behind ballyhea is quility top coach.
    I said it last year when he got it he had the job,he is good hes record proves that.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

No offence to john mortell,nice fella,hurling management not my cup of tea though
    He was like on many teams before put on their by the board.

Martin and o dwyer bring much more to the set up imo,good shrewd hurling men.
    There is much better options than him,but if it means we have four shrewd men,then mortell is fine
    The main coach behind ballyhea is quility top coach.
    I said it last year when he got it he had the job,he is good hes record proves that.

TTM . When are the Munster minor championship draws due to be made for 2015 and what can Cork hope for in minor next year.

Nov seventh last year,but it was delayed over kerry in the minor hurling.
    I suspect in the next two or three weeks i would guess,not sure.
    Im expecting huge things of cork minor hurling,talent complimented by shrewd management,saddens me to say we have wonderful talent in minor football but poor manager,and we wont go too far,if we get soft draw like last year all ireland quater finalists at best.
    The talent is there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

The main point is unlike kanturk who learned lessons of the past im kilworth loss,castlemartyr are imo not learning lessons from the kilbrin defeat in.how to actually close out a game.Twice so far havent done it.Castlematyt.have been knocking on the door for some time now to be honest.
    Take it in context.
    Fermoy and charville to be fair are both very young teams,both have.learned lessons of the past,shame one has to loose.
    Very hard to call,ring is an.outstsnding manager,so is peter finn both proven successful men at club,finn imo deserves huge credit for hes progress in just one year.
    I.dont mind who wins,both have a lot to offer various cork teams imo next year,young potential very good players.

Finn is obviously a good coach but Charleville were beaten by a good Kanturk team in 2012 & 2013 so it is a case of continuing their progress with a very young team. 7 of their starting team in semi final v aghada are u21 again next yr. 2 of them are minors in 2015 as well as Darren Casey a cork minor this yr.

Smith614 wrote: »
    Finn is obviously a good coach but Charleville were beaten by a good Kanturk team in 2012 & 2013 so it is a case of continuing their progress with a very young team. 7 of their starting team in semi final v aghada are u21 again next yr. 2 of them are minors in 2015 as well as Darren Casey a cork minor this yr.

Great points but finn is the key difference as good coaches develop players further,which he has done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Would you could the crap please,can we have realism not fairytale or romanctic ideas,valentines day is not til february,what do want me to get a violin and play it and sing the song crying,and dedicate it to your club.

Heres some real fact and realisim.
    What to jesus do you think newtownshandrum were??do you realise the,size of the parish,surrounded by charville,dromina,milford,kilmallock to a point  if they wanted to go their,you do know won four counties senior,intermediate,all ireland senior,club title,two munsters plus another all ireland final.You could walk through there in two minute aprox ,its so small.Dont bulls##t me with nonense please.
    Meelin close by win all ireland junior title,yes an all ireland,ffs ye cant even win a county title.

Ballymartle small club had success,now Senior,yes Senior and always competitng.
    There great clubs,yere way of them success wise.Again i acknowleded castlelmatry were once great but now arent doing what they should be doing.

Clyda rovers,surronded by mallow a big town,kilshanning,grenagh won munster club title,then senior ranking.Castlehaven in the football.

All those have just the same problems as castlematyr,Dont talk nonense with respect please
    Ye have had average success but thats all,nothing great now.
    This we are small club bull and utter nononense  is,dissaproven by other clubs.
    Im not asking ye win a county senior now, but its attainable ye win a county junior at the very least than playing the poor old small club when it doesnt hold up in yere case.

Casrlematyr imo on paper in hurling should be beating cloghduv
    In faireness winning a mid cork is tougher than east cork ,as proven  more mid cork teams winning the last twenty years ,in dripsey,cloughduv ,blarney etc,so winning county mid cork is harder on cloughduv and imo doing great down their.When did ye last get to a final a long,long,long,very long time ago,not an opinion but a fact.

East cork ,is poor enough in junior at times,making ye look better what ye are.
    You  ,i agree ,have said like me sars winning senior county is no good for cork as in munster there poor .

Same concept  here,ye,winning and dominating east cork is poor imo for them when ye cant win a county.But you see it as wonderful,as its your club.Yere imo doing east cork hurling no favours if time and again ye fail to drive on just like sarsfields in cork if they dont win a munster

There is no other  excuse ye dont win it,bar ye just been a limited team that arent as good as ye actually think ye are.You want to kid yourself or accept mediocity, yere going no where in truth.
    Ye dont win a county ,east cork championships hardly great ,now imo.
    Ballyhea,same pick as ye,smaller id argue won an intermediate county yesterday ,put your views on yere great success to bed,as down right nonense .Take a drive down there,see how small clubs they are.They have attained real success.
    Ballyclough,comepting with football won a junior b county tile,real success for them.

similar as ye  in club size all those i mentionef but castlematyr  ,have a different attuide,dont sit back on excuses they actually Make things happen.
    Dream on lad,you fool no one ,well bar maybee castlematyr with that nonense with all due respect.
    But to be fair ,i know some down there that said winning a county is essential,and well attainable for a club like ye.

Junior hurling in mid cork is poor as in the past 10/12 years only Cloughduv, Grenagh and Dripsey were capable of winning titles and this year Cloughduv didn't really have viable opposition.

Castlemartyr are the better hurling team in my opinion and should have gotten over the line. Colm Ryan along with younger brother Jospeh are good hurlers along with Dara Ring but the lack the real hurlers to be winning it IMO. John Grainger is a good coach for them although the they had JBM a few years back when they lost the county finals.

Cloughduv would have a large pick of players and should be doing more especially at underage to develop their players. I think the debt they currently have over their fantastic development is probably taking all of their focus really. That and the conflict they have in having two competing football teams in the parish in Kilmurry and Canovee that feed the Cloughduv hurling team

• Advertisement

Thats my point ,castlematry should be winning,and like you said kimurry and football effects them but matyr you would,swear were the only club with problems.
    We agree they should be beating cloughduv.Agreed john grainger ucc is a top coach.

You have good points but mid cork since 2002,12 years you reference in mid cork being poor but compared to to east cork its stronger to win as a division as two county titles,3 runners up compared to east cork teams one winner ,twice runners up in that period in terms of county titles.

[
    WHEN the Cork minor footballers met for the first time prior to the 2010 season, the players left the meeting positive that something could be about to happen.
    That squad of players weren’t rated that highly. They weren’t expected to go very far, but they made it to an All-Ireland final when dramatic recoveries were a recurring theme of their season. That fact alone reflected a team well drilled and which played with immense spirit and togetherness.

That was Brian Cuthbert’s team. Although the following year’s minor side lost the Munster final to Tipperary before bowing out in the All-Ireland quarter-final, Cuthbert also got that side as far as they could possibly go.
    In many ways, that generation of footballers reflect the future of Cork football. Given that Cuthbert knows them so well and has worked so closely with those players, Cuthbert’s appointment as Cork manager is a good one.
    Of course he has his critics. His doubters. Bishopstown have made decent strides in recent years but some people within Cork footballing circles feel that Cuthbert is unproven because of his lack of success with them at club level.

Yet how accurate is that of a barometer? When Brian Cody managed James Stephens, he didn’t enjoy any success. Some people within the club reckoned he wasn’t cut out for management.
    More even thought Cody was too soft to make it at inter-county level. Imagine that? An unproven manager will always have doubts and aspersions cast over him before he actually does anything at inter-county level.
    Some people within Cork say that Cuthbert was suitably political to help him get the job in Cork ahead of John Cleary, who had enjoyed far more success at inter-county level, albeit at U21.
    Whether or not that is true, what is wrong with that? Is playing some form of politics not a prerequisite to getting a top job in Cork anyway? Knowing how the deal with that county board appears just as important as anything else.

Either way, Cuthbert is highly ambitious for all the right reasons.
    The fact that he has a dual background and may be sympathetic to dual players may have been decisive in his appointment but Cuthbert had a lot going for him. He is very ‘High Performance’ friendly and has always prided himself on attention to detail.

One of Cuthbert’s greatest strengths is his open-mindedness. His willingness to learn. He is an avid reader. He is big into sports psychology. He is constantly seeking an edge at coaching conferences. There are loads of coaches who religiously devour coaching material but who just can’t coach or manage. Cuthbert is well above that generalisation.
    Cuthbert brings a number of other advantages to the post.
    When Cork overhauled their youth structures last year, he was head of the Development Squads Management Committee. His work on the ground means he knows exactly what talent is coming.

He is immersed in the history of Cork. From having coached on the club scene, he knows it inside out. Cuthbert is regularly spotted at games in all corners of Cork.

Having spent a year under Conor Counihan, he has served his apprenticeship. At 38, he is young and ambitious and hungry. He also fits the age profile that now defines modern inter-county management, similar to Jim McGuinness, Jason Ryan, Jim Gavin, Kieran McGeeney, Eamonn Fitzmaurice and James Horan.
    This season was always going to be Counihan’s last in charge. He wanted to go after the 2012 campaign but the players pleaded with him to stay.
    Part of the reason he did, and why he brought in Cuthbert and Ronan McCarthy, is because he hoped one of them would be good enough to take on the job at some stage. For Cuthbert, that time is now.

Cuthbert has respect within the panel but some hard decisions will need to be made. A significant period of transition began this season with the high volume of players Cork blooded but it will have to continue even more in the next two seasons.
    Some Cork players have just come to the end of the line. More who are still in a decent age bracket have serious mileage on the clock.
    Injuries have been stacking up. That is another area Cuthbert will have to address — how Cork have had so many injuries in the hip, groin and knee area in the last couple of years.

What Cuthbert will really seek to change though, is the culture. He is a huge student of tactics but Cork need to tactically evolve. The make-up of the backroom team will be very important in that context.
    Cuthbert has already hinted that Cork may have a change in footballing style next season. That process already began this year with how the team became more direct.

Yet Cuthbert will surely want Cork to play with a more defined pattern next season. A more rigorous gameplan. He has already spoken about the quality of forwards in Cork but making them hard to beat and defensively sounder will be an immediate priority.
    Cork have been trying to go down that road in the last two seasons but they struggled to adjust to that template, largely because of the coaching culture those players have grown up in.
    Fully changing that culture and process will require time. Yet the one luxury Cuthbert has is the knowledge that, over the last 25 years, Cork football managers have always been given time.
      ]

That was christy o connors piece on cuthbhert last year i posted in october 2013,here,i mentioned it yesterday.
    Im a huge fan of christy but  this year ,practially every suppposed strength of cuthbhert turned out to be hes glaring weakness.

This quote [  There are loads of coaches who religiously devour coaching material but who just can’t coach or manage. Cuthbert is well above that generalisation.
    Cuthbert brings a number of other advantages to the post.]

On this year the failure to recoginse a midfield all during the league despite numerous warning signs,the treatment of Paddy kelly,andrew sullivan,the fantasy football of picking a team on all out attack with no concept of defence,the comprimisong of the squad chances by facilating dualism,the unlogic view of getting in to media warfare with mayo giving them a real motivation to beat cork that backfired on Cork,the exclusion of proven all ireland medal winners in different games ,such as goulding,doc,colm o neill ,paddy kelly,the failure to settle on a half back line,playing half backs in a specsilised position as corner backs would imo mean cuthbhert is well below the generalistion,those who religously devour coaching material but just cant coach or manage.

There was a scene from Love/Hate last night,gardai,were at some estate ,on something to do with crime prevention etc,the two detectives pull up in a car,were not impressed ,and said all well and good,the exercise was for crime prevention good for a power point presenation then drove off to do real policing.

I thought of cork football,in its all well and good on powerpoint,but unless you can actually do it on the sideline or in training then it means nothing at all imo.

To praise cuthbhert before he knew the make up of the crucial backroom team i felt was premature optisim.
    He said regarding tactics  [The make-up of the backroom team will be very important in that context.
    ]
    That to me showed up cuthbherts failing,picking of hes selectors.
    Cork couldnt tactcially evolve as christy correctly said  we needed to do ,imo as we had no tactican in the line up.Cuthbhert failed imo in hes ist task back then.

Christy is a top top writer ,excellent piece on ger blue yesterday.
    Also what has now became very apparent,christy did not   mention it also,gene o driscoll had a huge huge part in that  minor set up.
    Its clear now ,cuthbhert cant coach imo.He needs top men around him.
    Crucially if cuthbhert  gets a top coach now,closing the gate when the horse has well and truly bolted as he could have lost cahalane walsh etc to football,gave kerry huge momentum and seriously drained belief and confidence out of corks new breed of player and i have huge doubts if the players believe

Cuthbhert certainly is he's own man by who he picked and its good to see out with the old,in with the new,in that most of last years men are gone.None of the four he picked are out and out board men.

Peadear healy is gone,great servant,but  he's coaching is outdated.

Ronan mccarthy will have a key role.He was invloved last year but would nt be too critical, in terms who he was with,not exactly master techinans.

Ciaran o sullivan-i have mentioned before,i am a huge fan,a pure stylist ,in terms of a natural attacker ,and pure footballer ,in that he was played at cf for cork for a stint.

In my view,in my  short time following cork,the best half back i ever saw in cork football,a great man to read a game,a bit before hes time with poor cork teams ,and a travesty that he could not win an all ireland.

Our nearest version to a tomas o se,lacking the out and out pace of tomas bt as good a brain and reader ,and unlike what we have had since,an intelligent mover of the ball,at pace and a superb kickpasser.I would hope he would identify the same skillset he has in u21 player next year kevin crowley and hopefully monitor him.

He looks the real deal in my view.

However ,as big fan i am ,i wont judge him on that.He can only be judged on hes management role.

We had many great players,like Teddy mac,ger fitzgeratld,denis walsh etc,that were truly awful intercounty men and more profile appointments than natural ability.

Just cause he like eoin sexton,don davis etc were great players dnt mean their suitable for coaching.

I havent heard much bout those three bar mccarthy in coaching,and while sullivan has coached in urhan,hes still very inexpierenced.

Thats my main worry.There all young and in tune with the modern game,but none have any intercounty underage expierence ,or in club expierence very inexpierenced.

I would have liked to see one old head in their.You can be expierenced and in tune with the modern game and still old .

Someone like Eammon ryan or morgan.That wouldnt work as their their own men.

But Gene o driscoll or Ned English are wise heads,and very expierenced,and still coaching.
    I had heard Gene was in the fray , but  am dissappointed it turned out he wasnt.

And  it would give the team more balance if english was their as hed would represent North cork and duhallow,from he involment with various teams.

He won Dromcollogher broadford a munster club title with a limited bunch.

I think he would work as a selector ,and be a team man and put aside hes want to be main man.

He loves football,understands the game.Went to clyda rovers and does not even claim expenses.

Every team he has improved with him.Just an ordinary man,no airs and graces but knows the game inside out,and the club scence in duahallow like the back of he's hand.

Theres a lot of young progressive coaches like james o donovan,stephen o brien ,even Corkery as a selector with Nemo that have higher profiles in club coaching than sexton,davis or o sullivan.

I welcome hes idea,and looks much better than last year set up and it could be much worse   ,but my fear is the  inexpierence  the group have and the lack of balance in that theres three west cork men.

West cork is the hotbed for cork football ,but i worry these guys dnt become perplexed and obbessive ,in that aera and ignore east cork and in particular Duhallow and North cork where their is talent also.

For me its a mixed bag, taking all the emotion out of the fact these men are all great servants and heroes of cork ,and nice men,serious doubts remain as their unproven at all levels , and players in this day and age are not as inspired by management that were high profile players,but more so management that have a record and history of success that none of these have.

Its entering the unknown and we have to give them time ,but heres the thing kerry wont wait and will be very strong in 3 years ,and must make hay while the sun shines.

Kerry have fitzmaurice ,inexpierenced but surrounded by huge expierence and proven expertise in Cian O Neill.

This set up doesnt have the same balance,and its  just hope that it will work ,as we dont have any track records to be extremely confident,like in the minor hurling we do,as we have the right balance with expierenced coaches and young upcoming ones,and i would be very confident of minor hurling next year.

That post i posted two days after christys article last october in 2013.
    I get no joy in saying most οf those fears were realised,worse than i imagined as now ronan mccarthy walked away.
    I had held tough til i saw the management set up ,in i didnt comment on christys endorsement of cuthbhert.As soon as i saw the selectors,i had huge butterflys in my stomach,remeber reading them.

I said kerry would be strong in three years ,they surpassed my expectation by winning the all ireland at senior this year ,but throw in the minor all ireland,imo unless cork change now and fast in 2016 we wont come close to kerry,it wont be pretty ,we will be miles,i mean miles off Kerry.
    We need to stop being so optimstic without reason need to fear the worst so so much we do everything we can to stop it happening,prevention is better than any cure imo.

Donal Og Cusack has one great line,to lead to the summit,you first got to scale it yourself.

Cuthbhert and none of the set up won a senior all ireland even as a player.
    Danny sutcliffe demanded Dublin hurling had a manager that won won an ireland as either a player or a manager at senior.
    Next time the position is up ,shields,gouldings,colm o neills,kellys,etc,one of those must speak out imo and demand the same high standards of manager,Cork Senior Football Deserves that at least imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

That article by Christy o connor is appalling for how badly wrong he got his assessment. Its actually crongeworthy how poor that is from a writer who I feel is right most of the time. After reading that and seeing what Cuthbert did this year and how we are ****ed already for 2015 I would have to give Christy a sceptical reading from now on.
    Unfortunately in both cork senior panels we are badly missing leaders - for the hurlers on field leaders to do something like make a change themselves or break momentum when things are going badly like the tipp game, off field leaders in the football panel who will put ut up to a seriously out of his depth manager and tell him what is required and if he says no then walk away. Too many fellas on both panels happy enough to go with the flow, desperately disappointing and depressing for 2015. TAaking it that the dual players will be hurling only and that pat mulcahy will come into the hurling set up and stand with JBM on the line I have hope for the hurlers as for the footballers genuinely feel relegation, a hiding in Killarney and a loss in a quarter final is the season to come

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Don't agree with that Cusack line. Surely it's about ability and nothing else. Some people make great coaches others great selectors and more great managers. For sure past players may fall into one of these categories but it isn't exclusive

For example your favourite Ned English or Gene Driscoll aren't weighed down by their Celtic crosses but I'm sure you'd believe that they would do a good job. Likewise for Keith Ricken.

It has an awful lot more to do with the entire package put together rather than just 1 man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Breadandbutter

Nov seventh last year,but it was delayed over kerry in the minor hurling.
    I suspect in the next two or three weeks i would guess,not sure.
    Im expecting huge things of cork minor hurling,talent complimented by shrewd management,saddens me to say we have wonderful talent in minor football but poor manager,and we wont go too far,if we get soft draw like last year all ireland quater finalists at best.
    The talent is there though.

I hope your right TTM I've seen a Lot of this (hurling) age group over last few years but to be honest Ive been disappointed they havent evolved better as a group - Tipp have always had the bar over them although I fully accept those tournament competitions are no barometer of minor success- the talent is there for sure but our minor efforts have been so ham fisted for the last few years with only lip service from CCB despite their efforts to indicate otherwise

I know they are up and running with trials again already and clearly plenty of HARTY over coming weeks so I hope they get their structures in place and surely they must have a good indication of who they have to work with

To get to a munster final would be huge progress and this age certainly capable of that and I think we are due a bit of luck too

All to play for

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

TTM, you almost caught me out. Why didn't you preface your piece with italics saying "this is Christy O Connor's article"?
    Having read about half of it, I felt like kicking my PC as I had been a huge fan of your writings.
    Now I'm saying this TTM lad is a proper twit, but than God I read on to end where you tell us that this is Christy O Connor's article prior to Cubby's appointment.
    O Connor's artice has to be the greatest load of cods wallop ever written, knowing as we do now, that Cubby is an unmitigated disaster as a coach/manager and as you pointed out, his three wise men are apprentices and the ship is sinking.
    I met a few lads recently who know the scene inside the Cork camp and all suspect that an upheaval is imminent. Don't ask me how, where or when, but it's not rocket science to suspect that smart young athletes wont waste their time listening to ráméis from a power point rambler, whether well meaning or not.
    I wish he would do the right thing and walk immediately as he is totally unfit for his role.
    BTW...........well done with your contributions on all things Cork GAA. Keep it up.

Sean excellent post ,i woudnt discard christy on one article,hes top top in faireness.
    Cuthbhert definetly won the media over.

Slingerz, well where do i start.
    What cusack meant,i meant,sutcliffe means as clearly said in post i re,quoted myself,was managing or playing at high level,but managing i always said is key,proven managrrial success,and you well know that from my posts
    Im not suprised you dont agree with cusack,you never have and you dislilke clyda ,a team that endeared hearts of many

Now yes gene hasnt senior intercounty medal but well above the current five,played ,coached skib,all ireland club in 90s

As for english,looks at hes record,clyda,dromcollogher both limited clubs munster titkes,waterford senior footballers ist win in twenty years senior munster gamw,duhallow,much much better than currrent crew

i understand they dont meet your criteria of being from muskerry and,anyone their is a god but proven coaching records and cusack im sure would laud them as scaled the summit as unlike you with respect has winning attuide i would think.
    Ricken is a top coach but has a young family and will not get involved for now.
    Ricken coached,cit to a sigerson

please tell me who you want as manager please and i ask again whats your cork team for next year ,i ask now as nice to know your views on things now
    What do you make of cuthbhert??

You were of the view he was doing okay and the panel he had that i disagreed with was the best avaible to cork and we should give things time.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

TTM, you almost caught me out. Why didn't you preface your piece with italics saying "this is Christy O Connor's article"?
    Having read about half of it, I felt like kicking my PC as I had been a huge fan of your writings.
    Now I'm saying this TTM lad is a proper twit, but thank God I read on to end where you tell us that this is Christy O Connor's article prior to Cubby's appointment.
    O Connor's artice has to be the greatest load of cods wallop ever written, knowing as we do now, that Cubby is an unmitigated disaster as a coach/manager and as you pointed out, his three wise men are apprentices and the ship is sinking.
    I met a few lads recently who know the scene inside the Cork camp and all suspect that an upheaval is imminent. Don't ask me how, where or when, but it's not rocket science to suspect that smart young athletes wont waste their time listening to ráméis from a power point rambler, whether well meaning or not.
    I wish he would do the right thing and walk immediately as he is totally unfit for his role.
    BTW...........well done with your contributions on all things Cork GAA. Keep it up.

• Advertisement

Christy is a top writer lads,if anything it shows how the best even bought in to hes,vision for cork.

Christy has wrote and i think will great piece in the future

I had no link,so i just copied my orignal post in october 2013.

Thats where i put the yokes

Bread and butter the key is the harty cup but also get a tough draw round one,as your beatrn have a second game
    Kerry done us no favours last year

This years minor team will be very good .we will be in croke park for a semi i think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement