Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

He's on ignore now!

Your and the rest of the posters here are fairly good at ignoring things alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

randd1 wrote: »
    Again, what did they win in the few years before he came along? And just to point out, a better Kerry side didn't exactly learn to cope with blanket defense either, they always seemed to come up short against teams that applied it in the bigger games.

Counihan has one 4 of the 14 national titles that Cork have won, including their first AI 20 years. And he's claimed 3 Munsters to boot.

Yea, you're right, he's clearly not got the bet out of his players at all, sure we all know they should be going for 4/5/6 AI's in a row the players are so good, its all his fault they're not.

I may be a Kilkenny man talking about football, but at least I know when to appreciate a good man and the work he's done for his county. I'm not at all saying Counihan is infallible, I'm just saying he doesn't deserve the flak he gets off of some lads considering the success he's brought to Cork and the level he's had them playing at.

I feel that Conor has his flaws as a manager but i have nothing but the upmost respect for the man.To state flaws with his management is not disrespect it's just discussing issues that are holding the team back and failure to deal adequately with the blanket defence is a recurring theme that's getting pretty depressing at this stage.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

And ignored ^^

I feel that Conor has his flaws as a manager but i have nothing but the upmost respect for the man.To state flaws with his management is not disrespect it's just discussing issues that are holding the team back and failure to deal adequately with the blanket defence is a recurring theme that's getting pretty depressing at this stage.

I still think cork have a mantra of hold the ball, even if you are going across (or even backwards) the field. We have 3 or even 4 forwards that can win their own ball, ans don't need it to be handed on a plate to them.
    If we turn over the ball in our half back or full back line, within 2 accurate kicks, it should be in the forwards hands, in a scoreable position. Fast ball is faster than the fastest defenders tracking back. If plan A isn't working, CC should consider planB, but I don't think he has ever considered a plan B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

I still think cork have a mantra of hold the ball, even if you are going across (or even backwards) the field. We have 3 or even 4 forwards that can win their own ball, ans don't need it to be handed on a plate to them.
    If we turn over the ball in our half back or full back line, within 2 accurate kicks, it should be in the forwards hands, in a scoreable position. Fast ball is faster than the fastest defenders tracking back. If plan A isn't working, CC should consider planB, but I don't think he has ever considered a plan B
    Thats it in a nutshell.Dublin really showed how it worked against mayo.When you are 2 points up with minutes to go that is when to keep ball.
    Half back of O leary,kissane canty has been reared on the handpassing game the last 6 years.Those players are their stage in their career where they are not going to be able to swtich off from handpassing.Their natural instinct is handpass.
    Alan O Connor is the same.He will handpass or run through a wall of defenders.It is a lot easier to bypass them.
    With walsh at midfield they do not need alan o Connor as well.
    Ciaran Sheehan would be ideal with Walsh in the Middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

New sponsors unveiled today and here's the new Cork jersey which will be for public sale from March 15th on,link; www.thejournal.ie/new-cork-jersey-chill-insurance-819405-Mar2013/[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Treble20 wrote: »
    New sponsors unveiled today and here's the new Cork jersey which will be for public sale from March 15th on,link; www.thejournal.ie/new-cork-jersey-chill-insurance-819405-Mar2013/[/url]

No disrespect to the Cork jersey but the new sponsor logo on the jersey looks cat in fairness.

Amprodude wrote: »
    No disrespect to the Cork jersey but the new sponsor logo on the jersey looks cat in fairness.
    I have to admit I thought the same myself!

Treble20 wrote: »
    I have to admit I thought the same myself!

It just doesnt suit the Cork jersey at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yeah, will be sticking with me O2 jersey me thinks

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    Yeah, will be sticking with me O2 jersey me thinks

IMO the nicest Cork jersey is the one that was there from 2002-2003 that was a beautiful jersey. The last jersey was nice enough but this new one just doesn't look right.

I assume the county board are at fault for this as well? Will Sean Og being having a press conference about how he doesn't like it? Maybe John Gardener will be on RTE about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

IMO the nicest Cork jersey is the one that was there from 2002-2003 that was a beautiful jersey. The last jersey was nice enough but this new one just doesn't look right.

There should have been alot more effort put into this. Id say a first year desgn student could have sorted a better job.

A good deal for a company who don't even have an office outside Dublin.Their paying a fraction of the cost of what Vodaphone are paying the Dubs and their also paying considerably less than 02.So much for all this talk about the county board being good with the finances!The jerseys have been going downhill since the 03-06 jersey as well.The design in general of the new one is horrible and the Chill logo doesn't suit the jersey either.

lala88 wrote: »
    I assume the county board are at fault for this as well? Will Sean Og being having a press conference about how he doesn't like it? Maybe John Gardener will be on RTE about it?

tCp90.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

lala88 wrote: »
    Do not post in this thread for the rest of the month.
    If you return and continue to post the way you have been, you will be banned for a long time.

If you return and continue to post the way you have been, you will be banned for a long time.

Oh no how will i cope? People are already blaming the county board for it but sure just ignore that like mods do with everything they dont agree with....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

lala88 banned for ignoring mod instruction.

Great, now we can get back to discussing Cork GAA topics. How long will chill insurance be sponsoring Cork GAA? We usually win an All Ireland when we change sponsors :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

About the only way a Meath man will get 'Thanks' in the Cork thread:pac:

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »

About the only way a Meath man will get 'Thanks' in the Cork thread:pac:

14 thanks in 2 posts for hammer..... Must be a record

Thanks very much Hammer Archer. New Cork GAA sponsorship deal a 3 year contract according to Cork GAA website.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

saw the new red jersey, think its awful! white one might be nicer but stick with my red O2 one for next 3 yrs me thinks!

Hopefully the hurlers will come out of Dungarvan with the two points on sunday.If they are switched on like they were against Tipp then i fancy them to do that.Who knows maybe this team will cause a few surprises this year we are Cork after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

I,d say the NEW Jersey will be worth a few points to ye on sunday ;)
    Seriously though, i,m looking forward to Cork playing us on sunday, always a good game and good banter.

skaface wrote: »
    Seriously though, i,m looking forward to Cork playing us on sunday, always a good game and good banter.

Should be a cracker alright, I expect a very close hard and intense game. It will be hard for Cork to come away with a win but heres hoping we can pull it off.

Great, now we can get back to discussing Cork GAA topics. How long will chill insurance be sponsoring Cork GAA? We usually win an All Ireland when we change sponsors :D
    Agreed,thanks Hammer Archer.
    Yeah hopefully cork will have the same success the last time their was a change in sponsors.In 97 when O2 started their deal Cork had won a Hurling title within 2 years.
    It is the purple in the jersey i find sticks out,but at the end of the day least we have a sponsor.Each company will try and put their own mark on things.That is fair enough as their investing the money.

skaface wrote: »
    should be a good game for both teams.it will be close.Ger Cunningham would be regarded highly by the ballygunner crowd,they rated him very highly.
    And ye have the other Ger C ,an excellent coach highly regarded by Cork people with the success he had with Newtown.
    Dungarvan is a tight ptich so it will be another test for Cork.
    Dungarvan is a lovely town,always a nice place to hang around after the match.

I heard Donal Og Cusack on 103 fm today.He must be back from America.He said he wont play for Cork again,as in he knows not being in the league squad,he wont be in it in May.
    I thought he spoke very well and was very honest..You could hear the dissapointment in hes voice.He did not blame or have a go at the management,he kept away from that.He accepted hes time was up.
    He said he had great time,made great friends and he wished the players all the best in the future.He was very noble.

• Advertisement

I heard Donal Og Cusack on 103 fm today.He must be back from America.He said he wont play for Cork again,as in he knows not being in the league squad,he wont be in it in May.
    I thought he spoke very well and was very honest..You could hear the dissapointment in hes voice.He did not blame or have a go at the management,he kept away from that.He accepted hes time was up.
    He said he had great time,made great friends and he wished the players all the best in the future.He was very noble.

Donal Og is a noble man and an out and out Cork hurling legend up there with JBM Ringy and Jack Lynch.Im looking forward to this sunday.If were switched on and play with the same intensity that we did against Tipp then i expect us to win.Rebels Abu!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement