Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Ht in extra time Kerry 2-12 Cork 1-11

Full time.Kerry 2-13 Cork 2-13 penalty to cork in the last minute.
    Aidan moyinhan made it,he is a great talent but could be lost to rubgy.
    Cork made a good comeback.
    A draw is a great result in a way,cause if we loose the replay and play Kerry again in the round robin as the replay is in Kerry,the third game will be in Cork again.
    A win in the replay and a trip to tipp,but loose that and their out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork 0-15 v Cavan 1-11

Blessed in the end to win. Drove on at the start of the second half to go 5 clear but Cavan came back well with a goal in the last 10 mins. We'll take it though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

No thanks to the Ref who was a holy disgrace. The same fella who reffed that Connacht club final and got assaulted after. Not condoning it, but questions need to be asked about his ability to ref these kind of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Well done today ye have a fine footballing side and I wish ye well in the final
    I can't help thinking what might have been
    We didn't lose it in the last free but in the first 10 mins of the 2nd half
    Ye have 2 exceptional talents in 13 and 15 I'll be keeping an eye on them in the future
    We have no shame losing to a fine cork team
    Best of luck again

• Advertisement

A hard earned but a superb victory that is ideal preparation for the final,against a Galway team that we pipped in 2010 in the minors with a remarkable comeback and who beat us in this grade in 2011.
    I expect this Final to be more free flowing from both sides in two weeks,unusally now in that you see too footballing teams go toe to toe.
    But I think we will see this and less of the blanket defence,and it could be a classic if its a dry day as Galway are a fine team and unlike Kildare are pure footballers and were a joy to watch today.
    Hopefully this will be in the Gaelic Grounds and not Portlaoise.
    Today Cork and credit due were not all free flowing all action style, instead they had to play a blanket defence in the first half against a Cavan team that are a duplicate of Donegal.Fair play to Cavan their a very good team who battled right to the end.
    Its refreshing that in two games cork have managed to beat this style in that our Senior manager could not do in the last 3 years.John Cleary take a bow.
    With out a doubt he has to be the next mnager at senior level.No Guarantee with the CCB though ,Teddy Holland they probably feel deserves another chance.
    Hurley,MacEoin, Clancy,Sugrue,Wall and O Driscoll were excellent when needed.
    Cahalane was poor by he's own standards ,he did struggle with O Connor who's strength really tested him,but still at vital times he made crucial blocks.He saved a certain goal.
    He wont have two bad games in a row.
    I expect him to have a blinder at full back in the final.He will be out to prove a point.
    Cork looked nervous at times,the fact they have lost here so many times before.Getting to the final can often be harder than winning it and i believe now Cork are in the final they will save the best till last and actually play for the full game against Galway and win it.
    Galway will be very hard to beat but I feel the force is with Cork this year and unlike galway all these close games will stand to us.
    It is great to win and know there is scope to improve.A sign of a great team.
    O driscoll was immense and showed why he is a better option than Brosnan.
    He made a superb catch when we could not win any ball.
    Brosnan is good and honest but would not have got the two points O Driscoll got.
    Macguire was good today and while he he faded towards the end,when you needed some one to win the ball for the last score,for a lad just out of minor he was inspiring.
    Hurley was immense,not just scoring wise,but from he's titantic hit in the first half on the Cavan lad he set the tone,a bit like Keane on Overmars in 2002,he made a statement that Cork were going to hit hard from start to finish.He has a great work rate,and attuitde and always is back in defence helping out.He was the man with the ball against Kerry on Cork's own 22 when the Ref blew the whistle.It sums up the lad in a nutshell.
    Right up the end of the game he was talking and organising those around him.A born leader with a superb future.
    A few of our Hurling forwards should just watch him.They could learn a lot.MacEoin is a fine player also,a reql grafter.
    I think these guys will once they get a good supply of fast ball in the final could do real damage.
    Connolly was poor enough but after a good munster final he should start the next day still but Hallisey will have to brought on earlier if he does not perform.
    Hallisey loves to run at defenders and Galway will suit him.The one player i feel who has unreal talent but i expected more from today and all through the championship was Cronin at corner back.
    He was solid at best.I'd expect more.
    Galway have fast nippy forwads in varley,and Walsh,and they actually will suit cronin who is not the biggest player but very fast.
    Clancy was immense but Moran is going to be a real handful.
    Cadogan worked very hard and won a lot breaking ball but ran out of steam.
    He needs to start the final as with O Currain and Comer in the middle,Galway have too big strong men but more mobile than Maguire and Kiely,and Cadogan will need to win those breaks.
    O Rourke was poor today but no six forwards will ever all play well at the same time and the beauty with this team is when O Rourke was poor Sugrue who was average in the first two games has really came of age in the last two games.
    He is very strong and a real grafter.Exactly what you need in a CF.
    He has the class to push for senior but there is just too many players like O Rourke,Collins,Kelly going for that role at Senior level that probaly have that little bit extra.Sugrue would be ideal for the hurling team.If he keeps developing he may just be what we need there.He is very strong and uses he's height well.
    The problem is will he choose Football or Hurling?
    Probably football and you could not blame him.Hes on the U21 team id say this year, but he must see the world of distance between the two management set ups.
    Cork Football is in a very healthy state and hopefully when CC goes in
    2014,these guys will be coming in to their peak.
    Ephie Fitzgerald another top class coach at minor level.All the same when you combine talent with astute management anything can be achieved.
    Credit due to all today and roll on two weeks and lets win the final.It certainly will be hard earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

That's awfully pessimistic. We beat Waterford last year. Clare beat us by 2 points after 90 minutes hurling last weekend (I know Clare had more chances etc etc).

Whats last year got to do with anything? We beat Kilkenny last year too in the first game we played them in the league. Totally irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Amprodude wrote: »
    Whats last year got to do with anything? We beat Kilkenny last year too in the first game we played them in the league. Totally irrelevant.

A lot of the players on both panels are the same as last year. It gives a general starting point to comparing the two teams allowing for changes and developments on both panels.

This year we drew with them in the league, again being 2 points up with a few minutes left. Saying that we would not neat any team in the Munster Championship is a complete overreaction in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

A great result in Tullamore yesterday for the Under 21's. A hard fought game and it could have easily ended in a draw even though I thought the ref got that last Cavan free wrong. The ref was poor for both sides in my opinion. I thought it was a crazy decision by the Cavan management to put on a player that had been substituted to kick the free to earn them a draw. When I watched it unfolding I said to myself this lad will miss and sure enough he did!

I'm looking forward to the final now on the May bank holiday weekend against Galway. Another tough battle in store for the rebels but hopefully we'll come out on the right side of the score line. Hopefully this game will be fixed for the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick or Cusack Park in Ennis,it would be the sensible choice for the travelling support.

A lot of the players on both panels are the same as last year. It gives a general starting point to comparing the two teams allowing for changes and developments on both panels.

This year we drew with them in the league, again being 2 points up with a few minutes left. Saying that we would not neat any team in the Munster Championship is a complete overreaction in my opinion.
    The Crucial difference that you are forgetting to last year is Sweetnham,Cadogan
    ,Niall mac in particular were on the team but are no where near this team now.Sweetham coming on was a majior factor we beat Waterford.Who had we Sunday?bud harnett.
    Coughlan also if he starts in June will be no where near match fitness for Clare.
    Every team has improved this year bar Cork and Limerick in Munster.
    Last year we were short ball winners or men to break tackle and players not afraid to mix it,now these three midfield forward Musakteers are out we are considerably weaker than last year .
    Cadogan is a huge loss as he is a big game player also and strong on the ball.
    Their is no over reaction, their does not even seem to be a reaction.Thats the problem.Management seem to think the performance bar the result was fine.

• Advertisement

U21 Football final Cork V Galway 7pm 4th May Gaelic Grounds live on tg4 and 103 fm.
    Unlike in Hurling we have a good football record here in Limerick,at senior and underage the last few years.
    Im glad Ennis was avoided as there is some bad memories for Cork football here.
    We lost a final in 2006 here and and the semi final two years ago.It would be like a home game for them.
    The big ptich will suit both teams for an open game of football.All we need now is a dry evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

U21 Football final Cork V Galway 7pm 4th May Gaelic Grounds live on tg4 and 103 fm.
    Unlike in Hurling we have a good football record here in Limerick,at senior and underage the last few years.
    Im glad Ennis was avoided as there is some bad memories for Cork football here.
    We lost a final in 2006 here and and the semi final two years ago.It would be like a home game for them.
    The big ptich will suit both teams for an open game of football.All we need now is a dry evening.
    Fairly certain the first round of football championship at Senior, Premier Intermediate and Intermediate is for that weekend - will this game result in those matches being put back or will it mean that club teams simply have to do without some of their players involved?

D'Agger wrote: »
    Fairly certain the first round of football championship at Senior, Premier Intermediate and Intermediate is for that weekend - will this game result in those matches being put back or will it mean that club teams simply have to do without some of their players involved?
    Your right about the Intermediate Games but the senior games are the week after.
    It does not look like it will affect many players bar Eire og are out that weekend and Kevin Hallisey who is sure to start for them.He is only on the bench for the U21 so it shouldnt be a problem.
    The minor replay with Kerry is next Friday night,in Tralee.Kerry Radio will do it live i'd say,they done fridays game live.
    You would be better off loosing that game as you then have either Clare,Waterford or Limerick to get to a MF .And all these games Cork would have home advantage.
    Once you get to MF you are guranteed an all ireland Q final.
    The system is a joke,the winners have to play tipp,if we win that is an away game.Loose and your out.
    To play 3 tough games would be a tough ask for any team in such a short space of time.I would not mind Cork loosing this game to be honest,as the play off games we have home advantage.

Donal Og Cusack has been appointed to The National Sports Campus Development Authority Board.
    Fair play to him and the best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

What does that job entail exactly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Donal Og Cusack has been appointed to The National Sports Campus Development Authority Board.
    Fair play to him and the best of luck to him.

Have you got a link for that??

It was on Sundays Independent in the Sports Supplement.Coudn't find the link but if I do i shall post it.
    On their website he is listed with he's photo as part of their staff but it doesnt say he's specific Role as of yet.

Orizio wrote: »
    What does that job entail exactly.
    The development of sports and facilites like soccer,GAA,Rubgy,Pistol Shooting,Equestrain Facilites and an Aquatic centre etc.
    A campus of a sports of excellence in Abbotstown from what their website says.I would'nt know much else what they do do to be honest,First I heard of it was when say he was appointed.
    It seems a High enough Authoritiy from the looks of it though.

DóNAL óG CUSACK'S career as a Cork hurler may be over, but just as one door closes, another one opens. The Cloyne man has been appointed to the board of the National Sports Campus Development Authority. Cusack's appointment to this board makes him the second high-profile figure from the hurling world to be a put on a State board this year following former Tipperary manager Liam Sheedy's appointment to the Irish Sports Council board. Coincidentally, another high-profile hurling man – Daniel Owens, who managed Kilcormac-Killoughey to this year's All-Ireland club hurling final – is due to finish his short stint on the sports council board this week. Owens was put on the board a little over two years ago after the death of his fellow Offaly man Mick Spain. As in the case of Sheedy, Cusack looks a good choice. We know from his playing career and from his work with the Gaelic Players' Association that he is progressive, and slow to accept the status quo. At a time of rapid progress on the sports campus in Abbotstown, he is well equipped to make his presence felt. Developments on the site continue apace, with the first group of national governing bodies having moved into the new Irish Sport HQ on Friday, and more will follow this week. And, in recent days, planning permission has been granted for the development of the equestrian arena, which is now expected to be completed by July while in June it is expected that indoor training facilities for pistol shooting, fencing and gymnastics will be completed. Planning permission has also been granted for the redevelopment of Abbotstown House, which will be the new base for the sports council. Meanwhile, there are three further new appointments to the sports campus board. Cusack is joined by fellow Corkman Martin Coughlan, a Labour councillor from Macroom with a background in athletics, and also by former Irish cross-country runner Claire Gibbons-McCarthy, who is also from Cork, and Declan Lyons from Dublin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Thanks for that - we need more of the likes of him invovled in elite sport in Ireland!

• Advertisement

Rebel GAA down for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Paudie O' Sullivan has reportedly broken his shin bone playing for Imokilly this evening. The game was abandoned due to the injury. Sounds horrific. Feel desperately sorry for him and hope he can make a full recovery, albeit it could take time.

Hopefully he'll be back in good condition for 2014.

Bit of a disaster for the team. He hasn't been playing great but we have only the bare 15 with him gone.

eigrod wrote: »
    Paudie O' Sullivan has reportedly broken his shin bone playing for Imokilly this evening. The game was abandoned due to the injury. Sounds horrific. Feel desperately sorry for him and hope he can make a full recovery, albeit it could take time.
    For F***s sake.Terrible news for Cork but more importantly for the player himself.Jesus it is unusal for the match to be stopped ,it must be very,very
    bad.There has been bad injuries before and in rubgy but the games go on.This must be awful if the game was abandonded.
    A bit like Colm O Neill,some players have no luck at all with injuries.He done he's cruciate a while back when he just out of minor while playing for Cork and was out for nearly a year.
    A Great player along with Cronin was the real leader of the attack.
    I hope he does recover fully,he has youth on he's side.I feel for him,the poor lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

For F***s sake.Terrible news for Cork but more importantly for the player himself.Jesus it is unusal for the match to be stopped ,it must be very,very
    bad.There has been bad injuries before and in rubgy but the games go on.This must be awful if the game was abandonded.
    A bit like Colm O Neill,some players have no luck at all with injuries.He done he's cruciate a while back when he just out of minor while playing for Cork and was out for nearly a year.
    A Great player along with Cronin was the real leader of the attack.
    I hope he does recover fully,he has youth on he's side.I feel for him,the poor lad.

Fellow Imokilly player, Barry Lawton, has just tweeted this :
    Barry Lawton ‏@BarryLawton 10m
    By far the worst thing I've ever seen on a gaa pitch��

eigrod wrote: »
    Fellow Imokilly player, Barry Lawton, has just tweeted this :
    Jesus it must be Horrfic.I hope he makes a full recovery.

Thanks for that - we need more of the likes of him invovled in elite sport in Ireland!
    No bother.Unfortunately he will never be in an adminstration role for Cork,so while he is lost to Cork GAA,at least Irish Sport can benfit from a man of he's Calibre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That's shocking news for him. For the match to be abandoned, I think we can all just imagine how bad the injury was.
    Poor fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Just read about it on another thread, hope the lad is okay. Always so horrible to hear something like this

• Advertisement

Paudie Sul is having he's operation on the leg tommorrow.Hopefully it goes well.
    Paddy Kelly played for Ballincollig last night.He won't be ready for the Limerick game,but should be fit for Clare.
    The Limerick game will be an ideal game for John O Rourke to get game time with Kelly missing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement