Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

What do people think of Paudie still being stuck in a corridor on a trolley 24 hrs after this severe injury???
    Frank has €67m to spend on a homage to himself, but yet can't look after one of our own?
    Shame on all in county board
    Kilkenny and the Dubs would not let this happen to their stars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

ballbag05 wrote: »
    What do people think of Paudie still being stuck in a corridor on a trolley 24 hrs after this severe injury???
    Frank has €67m to spend on a homage to himself, but yet can't look after one of our own?
    Shame on all in county board
    Kilkenny and the Dubs would not let this happen to their stars
    I saw the photo on twitter.It is terrible but I think your making something out of nothing with the CCB.
    I'm not a fan of the CCB board but in this instance its got nothing at all to do with them.It is more of a reflection on the state of the health service than anything else to be honest.Listen to 103 fm and reguarly you will hear them say 30 people on trolleys in CUH,or 40 etc etc depending on the day.
    No matter what health insurance or scheme youre covered under you can't get you a bed if one does not even exist.It's wrong but there is I'm sure seriously ill patients on trolleys too,and while Paudie injury is awful,it is not life or death and he can't be given precedence over a more serious patient if no beds exists Just cause he is a Cork Hurler.
    Look at the photo and you will see another patient ahead of him on a trolley.Nothing was made of that.
    No one should be on a trolley but it is not the CCB board fault.He had to go to a public hospital as its a serious operation.If it is was a cruciate I'm sure he would be in the Whitfield clinic which is private and have he's own room like Colm O Neill.
    I'm sure he will get all the rehab he needs and he won't have to pay any expense.
    Honestly this is nothing at all to do with the CCB.If it was I'm sure he's father woudn't allow it to happen to he's son.Jerry was a member of the CCB for years.
    It does not matter who you are in CUH,they just don't have beds,and that is a problem in many hospitals reflective only of the problems within the Health Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

A lot of ccb apologists across a lot of these forums is what I see, disgrace in being it so high profile, as regards the whole twitter and fbook updates its now easier to highlight a personal case, but I felt in the whole bad PR for Gaa, when attendances and code swapping has it on the floor

ballbag05 wrote: »
    A lot of ccb apologists across a lot of these forums is what I see, disgrace in being it so high profile, as regards the whole twitter and fbook updates its now easier to highlight a personal case, but I felt in the whole bad PR for Gaa, when attendances and code swapping has it on the floor
    Please have the common courtsey not to label me as a CCB supporter just cause I dissagree with your view.Take a walk in to CUH any time of the day and see the trolleys on the corridoors.
    That is hardly the CCB fault.It is a disgrace but its a problem with the health service.

Niall Macarthy is meant to back from abroad this week and he may be back with the Cork squad for the Summer.
    I'd have no doubt JBM will call him back even without Pebble's injury hes aggression and ball winning ability is a must to this Cork side.Hopefully Niall will have the hunger to come back.
    He won't have much hurling done but a 40 per cent Niall mac is better than Cussen or Naughton combined any day of the week coming off the bench.
    Jamie Coughlan is meant to be okay for June also.He would more of a concern to me with less games as he is a more wristy hurler and could be of the pace until he gets games to get he's speed of hurling back.Shane O Neill and Stephen Mcdonnell are meant to be back training also.
    Ciaran Sheehan is meant to be on course for the Limerick game in football.
    According to twitter Paudie Sul is having he's operation at ten tonight.Hopefully it will go well for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'd completely agree with your sentiments on the trolley situation and the Niall Mc situation thinkstoomuch.

Do you post on Rebelgaa?

I'd completely agree with your sentiments on the trolley situation and the Niall Mc situation thinkstoomuch.

Do you post on Rebelgaa?
    No,I post only hear,one is enough.
    CCB are no angels but blaming them for things they have no control over only and have nothing to do with make's them look the the poor soul,and when there is valid grievances with them then people won't be bothered to listen as they just think that all reason and logic is gone out the window.
    They can not be blamed for this.I'm sure like Colm,they will do all they can for them.
    Last week in CUH there was 122 operations cancelled and 3 wards closed,with 84 wards across the public hospitals closed nation wide and a total of 408 patients on trolleys across the country.There is an average of 25 people on trolleys every day in CUH.
    Those statics which were mentioned in a newspaper today that was brought up in the Dail last week.
    That shows that their is a problem within the health service,nothing to do with outside bodies.
    Its wrong what happened Paudie but im sure their are far worse cases lying in trolleys as we speak,which is awful.
    The fact he is getting operated at ten bells in an operation that could take up to two hours to do,shows the pressure their under and the fact their trying to facilate them,and credit to them for doing their best with him.
    It was mentioned in the paper that Consultants in CUH are told daily to cancel all elective surgery,including Cardio,Orthopaedic and neuro- surgery and the impossibilty to plan any of these operations daily,the A& E is so busy.
    Paudie Case is like all every other Joe Sope,awful to hear but only different in that he's case is different in that he is high profile.

In the Case of Niall mac he was sorely missed,and never a truer word would be said in that when he was missing "Absence makes the heart grow fonder"
    He will more appreciated by he's critics when he come's back.

Paudie Sul had he's operation and it was successful last night he reported on twitter.Great news.

Kerry radio are doing the minor game Live now.

• Advertisement

Kerry 0-6 Cork 2-4 ht.A defeat seems to suit the loosing team.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Niall mac is definitely back to give the hurling a go!

Cork 3-6 Kerry 0-10.
    A good win by all accounts.Madness now they have play current Champions Tipp away in a do or die clash in two weeks.Kerry still in it.
    Cork underage football is thriving at the moment and bar at senior are regualry beating kerry in kerry.
    Fair play to Kerry radio for doing both games live.Great to be able to listen to it when you cant make the game.A joke no radio station in cork can do the same.

Niall mac is definitely back to give the hurling a go!
    savage news. Is he back training next tuesday??

Sheehan and Goulding both played for Eire Og tonight.Good news for both of them,ahead of May 25th.
    Limerick had a good win tonight in Croke Park,they have a bit of confidence and momentum for our game.
    They will provide us with a sterner test than people think,tonight 4 weeks in Limerick and will relish the underdog,but we should still win this.
    A huge month May will be for Cork Football starting with the U21s next week,then the minors in thurles the week after.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Ladies are playing the national league semi final at 2pm against Laois in Tipperary town

Ladies are playing the national league semi final at 2pm against Laois in Tipperary town

Cork 4-12 Laois 2-8

Watching Derry V Westmeath Div 2 final ,one of the Derry Forwards just jumped for a ball,and fell clumsly,looked like he snapped hes cruciate the way he was holding the knee and had to be taken off.Similar to Colm O Neill.If it is a cruciate,Derry are like Cork and Kildare ,awful luck with the injury.

Cork Hurlers are playing Limerick in Kilworth Saturday night in a challenge match.
    Tj Ryan the ex Limerick hurler would of coached Kilworth to the Intermediate last year,he is now the Limerick U21 hurling manager.There is links with the club and limerick hurling.Its likely Adrian Mannix will get a run out.
    Its a b***s as it clashes with the U21 football final in the Gaelic Grounds the same night.
    The Following week of the 12th of May at 7pm their is the opening of the new ptich in Cloughduv,where Cork Hurlers will also play Tippereary in a challenge match .It's hard to know what team tippereary will field after this sundays league final.
    They will probably feel a some what weekend team to try players out as they have another challenge match the 17th in Carrick -Suir against Waterford,so it is hard to see them playing full strength teams in both games.

The Cork Hurlers and Footballers are having an open day for the fans on the 10th of May at the Sarsfields Club,7-8.30.

• Advertisement

The Cork U21 team for Saturday's game against Galway in The All Ireland Final at 7pm in the Gaelic Grounds that is live on tg4 and also being brodcasted on the radio by 103fm is
    1.David Hanarahan Douglas
    2.Conor Dorman Bishopstown
    3.Damien Cahalane Castleheaven Capt. 4.Alan Cronin Nemo Rangers
    5.Brian O'Driscoll Tadhg Maccartaigh 6.Tom Clancy Clonakilty
    7.Jamie Wall Kilbrittain
    8.Sean Kiely Ballincollig
    9.Ian Maguire St Finbarrs
    10.Alan Cadogan Douglas
    11.Mark Sugrue Bandon
    12.John O' Rourke Carbery Rangers 13.Dan MacEoin Illen Rovers
    14 Brian Hurley Castleheaven
    15.Luke Connolly Nemo Rangers

Subs 16.Pat Kirby T.Mactaraigh 17.Connor Sullivan Clyda Rovers 18.Kevin Crowley Milstreet
    19.Kevin Fulnagatti Nemo Rangers 20.TJ.Brosnan Newmarket
    21.Kevin Halissey Eire Og
    22.Cathal Vaughan Iveleary
    23.Tom Hegarty O Donovan Rossa 24.Jamie Burns St Finbarr's

No great suprise, the Cork team for tommorrow's final is unchanged from the Cavan game.
    The team that played against Cavan was the strongest players on the field,with most importantly each player in he's best position for this team for the first time all season.
    Cahalane will never play Full back for the Senior team as he's talent would be lost in a sense he would be in such a confined role but there is no doubt he has to be full back for this team.
    He was poor the last day, but you would ecpect him to have a stormer this weekend.He loves the big occasion.
    Interestingly Galway have only made one change,dropping Silke their Corner back.
    Looking at both teams it is very hard to separate them.Any team,whether it is hurling or football needs a solid spine.
    Galway,like Cork have one.
    Shaugnessy at full back is strong and commanding,but Cork should keep him busy with Hurley or Maceoin or Connolly,and I'd expect a lot of interchanging between these three players on Saturday.
    Connolly's pace could be an advantage here.
    Galway have Daithi Burke,a top class athlete at centre back,but unlike some players in other counties who are just athletes he has the football to compliment he's athleticsim,and is very similar to our own Tom Clancy,in that he can launch attacks from deep and very comfortable on the ball.He has played Hurling for Galway and is used to the big occasions.The one weak aera here may be Varley at half back.
    I'm sure Hallisey cleaned him out in the minor 3 years ago when he got 2 goals and caused galway all sort of problems.
    O'Rourke could cause him problems with he's strength and pace.
    Hallisey is a super sub to have and he could play a key role Saturday,if needed.
    Unlike the Tippereary and Cavan games where space was confined due to defensive formations ,Galway's style of play would suit he's running and movement.Rarely six forwards that ever start a game all play well on the one day,so if any player is struggling Cleary needs to act fast and make changes.
    Midfield is an aera where Cork could struggle,as O Curraoin and Comer are not only big strong men but are very mobile players.
    Ian Maguire is very big and strong for a player just out of minor but he along with Kiely are maybe not as mobile and able to cover the ground like the Galway pair.Midfield is going to be so evenly contested the key will be the braking ball.I would'nt be suprised to see Jamie Burns be brought on,even though he hasn't featured so far he is capable of winning possesion for Cork.
    Cadogan and O Rourke can be match winners for Cork without even scoring much.They need to hover around midfield and scrap for every breaking loose ball.Cadogan has done this very well against Kerry and Tippereary.
    He always seem to tire towards the end of games,I don't think he's fitness is in question it is just the amount of work he does fighting for every loose ball he runs out of steam.
    He's tackling and workrate is very good for a forward.
    O Rourke cover's a lot of ground,helping out he's defence but also is key to Cork counter attacking.He can also score if the chances present themselves.
    Galway dominated midfield with O Currain and Flynn in 2011 and as a result beat Cork.Cork even if they struggle at this sector can not allow Galway to dominate here.If galway win any ball,Cork need to make sure it is not clean fast ball that they can attack with,but rather slow dirty ball.
    This can be done by who evers wins the ball,Cork have to have at least two players on the ground swarming him up,hands wrapped around hes hand's,making sure that Galway have to commit extra men here if there to win the ball.Galway may win possesion but Cork can win the turnover's,something Donegal done successfully last year even though they lost most their midfield battles.
    Tyrone done the same to Kerry over the years,Kerry win the ball at midfield but Tyrone turned it over.
    In Rubgy they call it physicality at the breakdown.Cork will need every ounce of this at midfield on Saturday.
    Cork if they can supply the forwards with a decent supply of ball have scoring power in Hurley,MacEoin,Connolly, to get a winning return.
    Sugrue will have a huge role to play also.He needs to try and limit Burke's influence on the game as much as possible.Sugrue has a great engine and really came of age in the last two games.He's ability to run and the fact he is strong on the ball should hopefully keep Burke on defensive duty's for the best part.He will have to track back also as Burke likes to attack.
    He has a tough challenge ahead but he is a big game player.
    Galway have 2 main go forwards in that Walsh and Burke are well able to score.
    Cahalane may be well left to man mark walsh.
    The temptation is to leave Cronin on him,but i would prefer to see him on Varley.Varley is named at full forward but does not score much but is involved in all of galways scores.He wins lots of ball,he is very fast that allows him always to be in front of he's man.
    He is the main scource for most of Galways forward play.Limit he's influence and Walsh and Burke won't be as effective.He could cause Cork problems if Cahalane marks him as he will drag him away from the square and create space inside for Walsh and Burke.
    Cahalane needs to stay put,and that is why Cronin would be ideal to mark varley in he's roaming role.
    Cronin is very fast and likes to attack the ball first and foremost,and while at times it has exposed him,Varley will suit him down to the ground.In the minor game in 2010 Cork conceded 5 goals,but the full back line for tommorrow is completely different and won't gave away 5 goals.
    Moran at centre forward is big and strong and a forecful runner,but Clancy should hold he's own.
    Flynn is a very talented footballer,and Wall will need to be watch him.He can score from distance and is well able to win he's own ball.
    I feel O Driscoll should win he's battle with Mulryan.
    On paper both teams are closely matched,good fullbacks,centre backs,centre forwards and full forwards,with Galway having a slight edge at midfield.Cork's half back line as a unit is better though,with possibily all three future senior players down the line.
    However Corks strength in the half forwards can help them break even at midfield,and the full forward line in all 3 players are all scoring forward that can score big returns,where as Galway have just two main scoring forwards in their inside line.Add in the fact Vaughan and Hallisey in particular are excellent options to spring from the bench,this may edge Cork over the line.
    Galway don't seem to have the same options on the bench bar Maughan who is a very big strong player.He may see some action but Dorman who is well over 14 stone (bigger and stronger than some of the Cork senior Hurlers)should be well able for him if he comes on.
    I also feel the expierence of the Cork management team,added to expierence and bond these players have since 2010 and their ability to always do the right things at big moments in games when the need is at it's most,should see Cork over the line.
    The close wins over Kerry and Cavan will stand to them.Even the defeat to Tyrone by a point in the minor final 3 years ago and the defeat to Galway 2 years ago,will benefit the players that are involved tommorrow.
    It could be a cracker with both teams natural footballing teams.I would not be suprised if extra time was required to decide the game.
    Hopefully their will be a big Cork crowd their to support them.For a few Cork player's it will be their last game at U21 level,and the Cork Senior squad is not being finalised for the summer til after tommorrows game as said by their management during the week,so a good display tommorrow and a few could be added to the senior set up.

Sean Ban Breathnach on tg4 is so full of it.He was sickening to watch tonight ahead of tommorrows game.
    Fair enough he is a Galway man but he gave Cork no credit at all ,and is convinced Galway will defintely win tommorrow.
    He talks some amount of rubbish in fairness,Cork fell apart against Cavan in the last 20 minutes.It's a bit disrespectful to Cavan to not acknowledge they played a part in their own comeback.
    On the other hand Galway were a joy to watch, going on about O Curraoin Grandfather being a folk hero in he's home town.
    In all fairness it has nothing to do with tommorow.I have nothing against Galway,but jesus he is so one sided tonight ,you would swear Galway aready won the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Nervous start by them so far.

Galway getting a lot of bodies behind the ball. Rebels would want to make every attack count.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Is it just me that thought Cork should have had a penalty in the first half? Galway are on top so far but still thought it was a penalty

Is it just me that thought Cork should have had a penalty in the first half? Galway are on top so far but still thought it was a penalty

tbH i thought a penalty would have been a bit harsh there (if im thinking of the same incident you are).

Great start to the 2nd half.

A great game of football in poor conditions but first and foremost congratulations to Galway,the better team on the night won.
    I dont think Cork should had a penalty,it was more awkardness out of the defender than any real intent.
    Cork allowed Galway to set the pace and like Kerry,Galway once they hit the front are extremely hard to claw back.When cork did claw them back after half time,it took a bit out of them as Galway just upped the tempo, then for a 7 point lead.Many teams would have wilted but this Cork team showed savage heart and character to claw it back to just 3 points.
    Hurley was magnificent,a superb display crowned by a wonderful goal.He will definetly be called to Senior squad.
    MacEoin too was superb but like Hurley in the first half took way too much out of the ball,in the second half they were far more direct,it is like most of this team were too nervous and never trusted their talents.Cork tried to walk the ball in the first half.It cost them dearly.
    We needeed big games from Clancy,Wall,Driscoll,Sugrue,O Rourke but only Clancy done himself justice.The other lads just played in patches.
    Galway won this at midfield.I had expected that who ever won here would have the match one and that is what happened.I expected Burns to come on and he did.
    He and Vaughan in particular were very impressive.I would have liked to see Hallisey on sooner but still its harsh to blame the management when they have made the right calls all during the season.
    Tj Brosnan is a game lad,but Crowley would of been better.
    All in all though Galway were superb and as much as Corks big game players did not perform,Credit to Galway for not allowing them to.
    O Currain was immense,as was the two Burkes and Walsh.My man of the match would be Varley.
    Curraoin was superb,but Varley was involved in everthing for galway.
    I had said that he was the creative force for Galway and so he proved.He got only one point but was their go guy,like Hurley was for Cork.
    Cahalane was not suited to him at all.Varley made the goal as he was so small he was able to get the low ball ahead of Cahalane and lay it off to Comer.
    Cork got this match up wrong.Cronin was the man for him.
    Cahalane suprised me,while he improved as the game wore on he was a shadow of the player he usally is.He gave too sloppy passes,one that led to a Galway score.
    He will learn though from it.
    A dissapointing result but huge benfits from the fact they got to the final and there is no shame in loosing to a superb Galway team.
    Hurley will get a call up to the senior team,but Maceoin will also be in the fray.
    Cahalane,Clancy and O Rourke as they were already their at the start of the league will be in the panel also.
    Connolly,Sugrue,Wall,O Driscoll wont make it this time.Ian Maguire who battled bravely will become a better player.Possibly one for the Senior ranks in a few years.He is underage next year.
    Well done to Galway,but credit to the management team and cork players and all involved for some great memories during the year.

Cork 5-14 Limerick 2-17 Hurling challenge.
    wasnt at this one due to the football, their is an excellent report on the Limerick thread.
    Cork had a strong team,with Ellis at Cb,and Rob O Shea and Bud Hartnett Michael Sullivan the new guys.
    Cussen,O Brien,Walsh were all club tied for this game.Hard to know what to take from challenge matches unless it's KK you play.

• Advertisement

Michael Cussen is going to start sunday against Tippereary in the challenge match ,Kingson the Cork selector said he would get he's chance.
    This is turning in to a joke to be honest.How many chances is he going to get???
    The likes of the Eveing Echo seem to be blowing he's trumpet the whole time and seem to think hes the answer to our problems.Christ almighty,when you see Lester Ryan,Riche Hogan,small in size compared to Cussen,but way more physical on the ball and win so much possesion.Cussen for all he's height,offers nothing.
    At least when Aiseake O Halpin was on the Cork panel he could actually win he's fair share of ball,but Denis Walsh never knew how to use him properly.
    Having Cussen on the panel and expiermenting with Cronin at CB have been dreadful decisions by JBM,and i am a fan of JBM.They said they will be no new faces to what was played during the league,but they will watch the U21s with interest.
    They won't have much to watch,a fine group of talented hurlers will be beaten by either Tipp or limerick at the end of June.These players wont have any games to develop.
    Ger Fitzgerald is the poorest manager in this grade. going on he's record of just two wins in 3 years with great talent available to him in 2010 and 2011.Worse still he won't even be questioned on the poor results and their is every chance he will be there next year as manager,espiceally with Diarmuid O Donovan as the new adminstrator.
    Bill Cooper who was a sub saturday night doesn't look like he will be added or Michael o Sullivan considering they got no game time in the league.
    Adrian mannix dosen't look like it either.
    Its very frustating when they never got a real chance and Naughton and Cussen do nothing and guranteed a panel place.
    It used to be hard to get on the County panel before but for some players it's harder to get off it.On a preview of the Championship last Sunday,Noel Hickey,Ollie Canning,Liam sheedy all dismissed Cork in Munster and said it be Clare and tipp in the final.
    Even in previous years there would be even one pundit that would go for cork.
    The fact is there is nothing to base any hope on.And without Paudie Sul Cork will struggle to put 6 forwards up to intercounty level on the field.
    A good statisic was posted on the Waterford thread here that of the last 18 Munster Colleges titles won Cork have just one title,an U-15 title by St Colmans.An embarrasement that Cork are the bottom of the pile.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement