Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you believe it? Bank says no.

Options
  • 21-06-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

First time posting in this section of boards. Hope I don't mess up.

I am really unhappy. Have been with my current bank for 12 years. Just finished paying back a 2 year personal loan never missed a payment.

I have requested a new loan at half the value of the old one and the same term. This was for my latest project which is to clear the credit cards close one of them and get some new and needed kitchen appliances.

I have had my loan request rejected Again! My income and ability to repay the loan has not changed. I have not taken a pay drop and my expenditure has not jumped madly in the mean time. If anything I will have more free income knocking around... So why has my eligibility for a personal loan changed?

It would appear that my bank no longer want my business. They have also stopped paying interest on my credit account like everyone else.

I am now in the market for a new bank - questions are as follows

Are they really all the same at this point after the financial collapse?

Do I need to physically go in to a branch for to do an account set up?

How difficult is it to transfer things like direct debits and so on?

My car insurance and credit cards are supplied by my current bank would I be better off leaving my current account open and just push enough cash in to it on a monthly basis to feed the dd payments or move those services elsewhere too?

I know this is a long winded post. After 12 years though and only one bank account you can probably consider this to be a big thing for me.

Thanks

cat_rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The banks aren't giving out many loans to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭cat_rant

Yeah a quick chat with a friend revealed they agreed on that point with you victor perhaps it isn't a slight on me or my finances but rather that loans are not that as freely given these days.

It is frustrating though I am lucky that it was not for something urgent or majorly important! I am noticing that the level of contact from my bank in relation to up selling or recommending services has dropped in the last 12 months. And I find them to be less proactive than they were.

I think I am going to investigate a change of bank anyway - who knows I might get myself some better interest rates or 0% on balances or transfers of credit cards.

Can anyone tell me if BOI are any good? Online banking services are really important to me. Is their online system utter pants or acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

BOI are the same as AIB (in terms of banking) ..... no matter what banking institution you choose you face the same problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think most workers would be far better off in the local Credit Union.
    You should contact one and see if their services suit you.
    Banks ruined this country and only lend to cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

certainly for saving and loans credit unions are excellent but for day to day services I think a bank is, for most people, essential

• Advertisement

PCPhoto wrote: »
    BOI are the same as AIB (in terms of banking) ..... no matter what banking institution you choose you face the same problems.

Ok so that comment fits in to this category as a confirmation

Are they really all the same at this point after the financial collapse?

Thanks for the feedback PCPhoto

I think I need to have the flexibilty of a full banking service. Mind you it might be worth looking at moving savings elsewhere. So a credit union account might be worth looking in to.

Does anyone know if Post bank was a success or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

cat_rant wrote: »
    I think I need to have the flexibilty of a full banking service. Mind you it might be worth looking at moving savings elsewhere. So a credit union account might be worth looking in to.

Does anyone know if Post bank was a success or not?

Post Bank closed down as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

I recently moved over to Ulster Bank and have been very happy so far.

It was very easy to open the account, although I did go to the bank and fill out forms as I had a few other technicalities to look after.

They have a switching service to move your DDs over to the new account.

Hi Mort5000

Thanks for that - do Ulsterbank have a good online banking system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Their online banking is fine.
    I can only can only compare it to AIB, and they have approximately equivalent functionality.
    I haven't added a beneficiary, or attempted to do an international payment, but so far so good.
    Added to that, they have a savings account with a very good rate.
    Oh yes, and a visa debit card.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Best thing to do Cat is to get yourself to a broker, then you have options.

Ulsterbank are lending at the moment to the best of my knowledge.

Advertisement