Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which laptop?

Options
  • 21-06-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I need a new computer in general, and considering I am starting in college next year (I'll be living on campus, away from home), I think something portable would be better. Computer Science in UCD is the course, if it makes any difference (word on the street is laptops are now compulsory for it). I doubt coursework would be very hard on CPU cycles, but you never know.

Also, I would like to be able to play games on it, such as The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim, on the best quality settings. (TES4 with High Res textures is out of the question on my current desktop).

Space-wise, I am currently crippled with a 100GB (including ~15GB which is partitioned off in two "recovery" partitions), so something greater or equal to 500GB would be nice. (Ideally, I'd like to have two or more OS's on separate partitions, (Win7, Ubuntu, and BT5))

I haven't used a SSD for any length of time, either, so I don't particularly trust their lifespan yet, (Hybrid HHD with SSD cache, might overcome this? Opinions?)

I don't envision using it away from wall sockets much, so Battery Life is not important.

Money-wise €1000, with €250 in reserve for that special deal that you don't see often.

Extras (would be nice, but not nessisary):
    I don't particularly want a huge screen or anything, but about 17" might be nice upgrade from my current 15.6" (1280x800 :L)

Colour doesn't matter (currently I have a lime green inspiron), unless it's like hot pink

Backlit keyboard would be a really nice feature (moreso on a desktop though, since the screen is usually near enough on a laptop to shed light on it)

Another thing to consider is I am on the Irish team for the IOI in Thailand this year, and I would of liked to bring it with me for this (21-30 July), and then for practice before as well.

Anyway, I think I've said enough.
    ~mc_teo

*EDIT*:

I have been looking myself these last few weeks, and this Asus is one of the best deals I've seen, but won't be back in stock untill July 29th.

I can't find anything with similar specs and price.

Advertisement