Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone Ever Come Across Finding Golf Balls On Their Land?

• 21-06-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭

Unusual one to ask ye, has anyone on here ever found golf balls on their property? The reason i ask is my parents and brother are farmers and they have found a load of golf balls over the years.
    Have found them in water troughs, in Winter through the silage when it been fed, them ones were in pieces as they went through the silage harvester,
    my father even found another today in the field but it had been hit by the mower while topping.
    And if anyone is wondering we dont live near a golf course, i said i'd ask on here as my brother is not a Boards user, be interesting to hear what people will say on this, to see is anyone else finding them.
    Only thing i can think of is birds dropping them while flying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

have found them in bales of straw,usually when a lorry load would come from a certain area it must have been beside a golf club,maybe somone is practising beside you and hitting the balls on to your land. or maybe there is an up and coming tiger woods and is trying to get his balls in more than one hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Dupont wrote: »
    have found them in bales of straw,usually when a lorry load would come from a certain area it must have been beside a golf club,maybe somone is practising beside you and hitting the balls on to your land. or maybe there is an up and coming tiger woods and is trying to get his balls in more than one hole

Could be someone practising but can't figure out who though, we even found a baseball before too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I found a good few this Spring on the top of my land. Fella across the little valley is the only lad who could hit them into me. Right across a road too.

If I start finding them next I may invest and send them back :D

Is my theory on birds carrying them far fetched? Crows or magpies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

As a golfer myself maybe that's not too far-fetched at all. Have seen birds taking golf-balls off the fairways(mine included) at a coast course in Cork city.

Mainly gulls,although I have seen magpies do it too.I've only seen it abouthalf a dozen times in 5 years though.

• Advertisement

staker wrote: »
    As a golfer myself maybe that's not too far-fetched at all. Have seen birds taking golf-balls off the fairways(mine included) at a coast course in Cork city.

Mainly gulls,although I have seen magpies do it too.I've only seen it abouthalf a dozen times in 5 years though.

That's the only thing i can think of what's causing it, we live a good few miles away from a golf course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

do you have many magpies or grey crows around you? they steal eggs from birds nests so might mistake golf balls for eggs

do you have many magpies or grey crows around you? they steal eggs from birds nests so might mistake golf balls for eggs

Yeah we would see alot of magpies around and crows too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Bought a load of straw from Tipperary last year. Got a €50 note in one. Perfect conditions.:D. Got a sliothar in another. And nearly every second bale had a nicely flattened Bulmers can. :D :cool:
    I'm getting my next load of straw from the same fella.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

STIG83 wrote: »
    Yeah we would see alot of magpies around and crows too.

If you live far from a golf course, then they'd hardly carry them that far.
    I suggest looking for neighbours wearing chinos and tweed:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

We find them a lot. Kids hit them in from neighbouring fields. What can you do? Just hope you dont get struck by one!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Bought a load of straw from Tipperary last year. Got a €50 note in one. Perfect conditions.:D. Got a sliothar in another. And nearly every second bale had a nicely flattened Bulmers can. :D :cool:

It was a sign!

You were meant to put the €50 on Tipperary to win the All Ireland and then go on the p*** with the winnings drinking Bulmers to support us poor fellas down here:P

Chevy RV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Tora Bora wrote: »

Generous folk down here in Tipp i'll tell ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

maybe there is an up and coming tiger woods and is trying to get his balls in more than one hole
    :D:D that is funny on so mant different levels!!! he'd certainly be an up and coming Tiger if he managed that....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

My uncle has one particular field that I used to mow back when we had a jointly owner silage outfit, which was directly alongside a fairway of the local golf course.
    I'd generally pick up a couple of dozen golfballs while mowing it, particularly at first cut, when the golfers had had the whole winter and spring to lash balls into it. The lads on the harvester and tractors would get more as they cleared the field.

I used to have to time mowing it for early on a school day; otherwise, I'd be constantly stopping to run the local children out of the way. :D

Well the golf balls are definitely coming from somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 caseih

is there houses within 6-700 meters of where your finding the golf balls?... i had the same problem with golf balls around my yard this few years even found one sitting on the tractor seat one evening that had came in tru the closed back window,,which didnt impress me to much i can tell ye,,,, 12 months ago in the local pub i overheard a neighbor bragging to another lad about bein able to drive a golf ball over a certain farmers hayshed at long range,,,,,,, needless to say there was a row in the pub that night.... back window cost me 300 euro...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Never a truer word!:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Finding them here too, toolbox on the tractor would always have 10-12 in it. Neighbours is my guess, 8 miles to the nearest golf course, don't think they're coming from there!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

A case for CSI, i think:D

• Advertisement

sea12 wrote: »
    A case for CSI, i think:D

Better give them a call so, i demand it's the Las Vegas CSI!!

blue5000 wrote: »
    Finding them here too, toolbox on the tractor would always have 10-12 in it. Neighbours is my guess, 8 miles to the nearest golf course, don't think they're coming from there!
    Good to know there's others outthere like us!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 runningblind

some w***ker out practicing his swing! not much you can do, have gathered up about 30 in the last year or two!

some w***ker out practicing his swing! not much you can do, have gathered up about 30 in the last year or two!

I can't even hazard a guess of who plays golf in the area though!! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

blue5000 wrote: »

I've a 3/4 full bucket of them in the shed I park the tractor in; mostly gathered from a tillage field after its harvested. There are a few turning up in another field now so it looks like a second neighbour has taken up the sport.

It could be worse, we had a crowd at one stage that figured that the area between their boundary wall and our electric fence as their own personal dumping ground :mad:

rliston wrote: »
    I've a 3/4 full bucket of them in the shed I park the tractor in; mostly gathered from a tillage field after its harvested. There are a few turning up in another field now so it looks like a second neighbour has taken up the sport.

It could be worse, we had a crowd at one stage that figured that the area between their boundary wall and our electric fence as their own personal dumping ground :mad:

I dont play golf but it not a waste of golf balls by shooting them long range and losing them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

I'd say they lose them in the stubble over the winter

Advertisement