Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build dead

Options
  • 21-06-2011 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I built a computer. It does not turn on or respond at all. Cables appear to be connected ok. What is the first thing I should look at?

I noticed current in the case after unplugging it. This was from the monitor connection, because I saw that the plug for the monitor was not grounded. Might this have damaged any components?

The package the motherboard came in was rather crushed. The packaging for the actual product inside seemed fine though. There was no visible damage to the mobo.

This is the first pc I have built so I might have done something stupid, or not done something obvious.

It has not responded at all.

Any suggestions?

Spec:

MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk - Graphics adapter - GF GTX 560 Ti - PCI Express 2.0 x16 - 1 GB GDDR5 - DVI,

Sony Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-5260S Black 24x (DVD±R) - S-ATA - internal - 5.25"

Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB SATA II, 5400RPM, 32MB Buffer

ASUS P8P67 LE B3 Revision - Motherboard - ATX - LGA1155 Socket - iP67 - USB 3.0, FireWire -

Corsair XMS3 - Memory - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1333 MHz / PC3-10600 - CL9 - 1.5

Zalman PSU 600W Ultra Silent SLI

Antec Three Hundred - EU - Tower - ATX - no power supply - sleek black - USB/Audio

Processor - 1 x Intel Core i7 2600K / 3.4 GHz -

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I feel your pain, I've put together a few PCs without issue and my current week old build is random freezing, there are diagnostic cards but I've no experience of them myself

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

I don't understand what you were saying about the monitor cable and current.

How about some pics of your cables and connections inside the case. Show us the mobo aswell.

Have you connected the 24 pin and the 4/8 pin power for the CPU?

Also the switch at the back of the PSU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

yes to all.

I disconnected and reconnected the power to the mobo. Now the standby power led lights up when I turn on the switch on the psu, but nothing else.

Maybe I didnt connect the power switch properly :/. I'll check that and also put up a pic

164102.jpgNot the best pic. Dunno if it's any use.

Does it matter which way around you connect a sata cable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

Sata cables only fit one way so that shouldn't be a problem

164109.pngDisconnected and reconnected the switch. No effect.

Maybe I have wired it incorrectly. My phone apaprently wont take a pic sharp enough for the required detail. Here is a crdue diagram instead. This thing plugs into the mobo after you plug switches and LEDs into it - I've only shown the connections for the power switch.

lemd: No the sata cables fit in either way. There wasnt room for the connector to one drive (L-shape) so I plugged in the end that was shown as being plugged into the mobo (- shape) into the drive instead..

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

I misunderstood you, i thought you were asking can you plug them in upside down. it dosn't matter which end of the cable you plug into the board or drive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

First of all, make sure the graphics card is seated correctly. Take a look through the mobo to make sure you don't need to press a magic button on it somewhere for some reason. And reset the CMOS - take out the battery for about a minute, and hit the switch/jumper if necessary. Then retest.

Are you sure you have the pin allocations right? If you do retest the mobo (with CPU and graphics card) outside the case, with one stick of RAM and the PSU and try shorting those pins with the tip of a screwdriver or similar, and see if it reaches the BIOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Where i have circled in the picture, there is supposed to be an 8 pin connector plugged in.

• Advertisement

allen175 wrote: »
    Where i have circled in the picture, there is supposed to be an 8 pin connector plugged in.
    It says in the manual that a four pin one connected as I have is ok too.
    The cable from the psu has two four-pin ones intended to be compatible with 4- or 8- pin sockets, but the second one doesn't fit the rest of the socket oddly (different shaped pegs and holes).

Nope as I said before you haven't actually got your 12v cpu 8 pin attched...

29o1vk8.jpg

Edit: Ahh too slow... and I should resize this...

I can't see it very well in the pic but I think that your EPS12V connector is "upside-down" compared to most mobos, so you only have the "optional" block connected and were trying to insert the mandatory portion in the wrong way around (which the keying won't allow). Reverse it and see if it fits.

Solitaire wrote: »
    I can't see it very well in the pic but I think that your EPS12V connector is "upside-down" compared to most mobos, so you only have the "optional" block connected and were trying to insert the mandatory portion in the wrong way around (which the keying won't allow). Reverse it and see if it fits.

I think you may be correct. It doesn't look right anyway...

That cable only fits the way I've plugged it in. The second four pin part of it has no square pegs. The socket has two square holes on each side.

The part that plugs in is labelled P2, if that is useful info in any way..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

I can't get any good quality images to compare the 8 pin socket on the mobo to the connector, but they should all be the same, every motherboard and psu must have the same sockets so that they are compatable with eachother.

if you can post a picture of the socket and the connector, so we can see if we are wrong.

Well there are square hole on both sides. One part of the connector has trinagular pegs like I said. Here are some pics anyway :confused:

164123.jpg

164124.jpg

It doesnt seem to be the switch. The switched on the tpu on the mobo. Now when I push the power switch, the tpu lights up. It still doesn't do anything else; but this is some sort of response to the power switch..

Exact same issue described here with same mobo. In this case the mobo appears to have been faulty:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-general/995305-booting-new-pc-first-time-not.html

edit: Removed graphics card. No effect.

Took mobo out. Put it on cardboard box. Pressed button. No beeps, but chassis fan, processor fan and psu fan started, also memok led lit up red.
    Something shorted in that mess of wires I guess.

• Advertisement

See the clip on one side of (both parts of) the EPS12V connector? Turn it so that the clip is pointing inward toward the mobo - there's a nub on that side of the EPS12V socket which the clip attaches to.

And while its hard to make out, one half of that Zalman's EPS connector does seem to lack square pins - it only has keyed ones. Odd :confused: This doesn't affect things too bad as the keyed pins can fit in either type of hole :)

Seems to be fine now. Must have been a short smewhere. Thanks for the help.

Oops no - spoke to soon. It powers up but then gives a messages "Fatal error - chasis intrude. Please check your system"

edit 2: Not that much too soon. Common occurence with asus boards apparently. The "turning it off and on again" method works to fix: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100910141859640&board_id=1&model=P5V800-MX&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Have a look in your manual and see if you can set chassis intrusion jumper "disabled".

And reset Bios.

Edit: A so sorted now?

Nope. "Windows cannot install the required files. The file may be corrupt or missing."

Not sure if it is the dvd. In some cases this issue is caused by defective RAM apparently

Try with one stick of ram installed and if u have a problem then swap that out for the other stick of ram.

I think it's more likely to be the disk. It's an old burnt disc, not a new pressed one. I'm going to download another image later [legally]. I'm going to try swapping the RAM if it stilll doesn't work with the new iso/disc.

Yes it was the disk. Working fine now. 7.8 on windows experience index.

But

The cpu is running way too hot :/ 70 C on boot.
    I have stock cooler and arctic 5 thermal paste. Two preinstalled chasis fans.

I removed the thermal paste and reapplied it, thinking maybe I hadnt put the cooler in right. Still just as hot.

Changed the settings to power saving mode for the moment. I will need to upgrade the cpu cooler I think.

edit: While the computer is running it shows the cpu temp as <40C with normal settings. Possibly I misunderstood what the 70C thing refers to in the bios menu. Odd.

Kadongy wrote: »

But

I removed the thermal paste and reapplied it, thinking maybe I hadnt put the cooler in right. Still just as hot.

Changed the settings to power saving mode for the moment. I will need to upgrade the cpu cooler I think.

edit: While the computer is running it shows the cpu temp as <40C with normal settings. Possibly I misunderstood what the 70C thing refers to in the bios menu. Odd.

I hate those oem coolers. I had probs with one before because of those stupid push down connectors. I discovered one corner would release itself partially and it overheated.

yeah ditch the cooler and get another one.

Good to see it's more or less up and running for you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Kadongy wrote: »

But

Is the computer in power saving mode when the cpu is at 40C? When its in power saving mode the motherboard reduces the clock speed of the CPU so it will use less power/ generate less heat.

• Advertisement

Yes that was why I switchd to power saving mode.
    It runs around 40 at idle in normal mode. However it goes up to almost 90 just running the windows experience index. I reset the cooler and reapplied thermal paste. No improvement. I will need a better cooler I think.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/Intel-XTS100H-CPU-Cooler-Review/1217

That stock cooler is not fit for purpose tbh. They would be better not providing one at all, so at least you'd know you needed to get one.

Advertisement