Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build dead

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermaltake-CLP0564-Frio-CPU-Cooler/dp/B003JZO176/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1308826051&sr=1-2

I think I'll get that.

Trying to see if the psu will support it though (600W supply).

edit: Yes it should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Kadongy wrote: »
    Yes that was why I switchd to power saving mode.
    It runs around 40 at idle in normal mode. However it goes up to almost 90 just running the windows experience index. I reset the cooler and reapplied thermal paste. No improvement. I will need a better cooler I think.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/Intel-XTS100H-CPU-Cooler-Review/1217

That stock cooler is not fit for purpose tbh. They would be better not providing one at all, so at least you'd know you needed to get one.

It should not be running that hot with the stock cooler. However I think people are just suggesting getting a good cooler rather than trying to troubleshoot this after all of the issues.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    It should not be running that hot with the stock cooler. However I think people are just suggesting getting a good cooler rather than trying to troubleshoot this after all of the issues.
    77 after play tf2 for an hour or so. 45 within a minute. Close enough to figures I looked up online.
    I think it is just the cooler is crap tbh. I ordered that frio in any case.

edit: around 50 after playing l4d2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I am having a similar problem to you,overheating,temps are reaching the high 60's when Its Idle and and 70's when I tryed to play shogun,Those stock coolers are a pain in the ass to get back in properly.

I am having a similar problem to you,overheating,temps are reaching the high 60's when Its Idle and and 70's when I tryed to play shogun,Those stock coolers are a pain in the ass to get back in properly.
    Crappy thermal paste, especially dried up thermal paste will cause big problems too. I know that from my m1530 laptop. Ditto with clogged air vents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

will you have to take your motherboard out to put your fan on?

will you have to take your motherboard out to put your fan on?
    No the processor cooler is easily accessible just by opening the side panel.

No the processor cooler is easily accessible just by opening the side panel.

ah your lucky so,I'm gonna have take mine out :eek:

ah your lucky so,I'm gonna have take mine out :eek:
    I had to take mine out already to get the system to work at all :) Something was shorting it I think. It was easy enough to take it out and put it back tbh.

It comes up with the message "overclocking failed!" about half the time I boot. This is odd because I didn't set up any overclocking. I did enable the epu and the tpu though, so presumably it is related to one or both of those..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

EPU? TPU? If anything I'd guess that a mobo auto-OC solution (SmartDoctor for Asus IIRC) has gone mad and is OCing the system without your consent, which would explain the crazy temps and stability issues! :o

Can you install CPU-Z and see what it says about your CPU speed and voltage?

tpu and epu are onboard processors on the mobo. I turned them on to see if their LEDs would light up while the thing wasnt working at all. They aren't even on the mobo I actually ordered, but I received a better model I just realised. Turning them on might have enabled overclocking maybe.

164484.png

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Armedocr

tpu and epu are onboard processors on the mobo. I turned them on to see if their LEDs would light up while the thing wasnt working at all. They aren't even on the mobo I actually ordered, but I received a better model I just realised. Turning them on might have enabled overclocking maybe.

164484.png

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that core speed and voltage look very wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

Armedocr wrote: »

It's just underclocking itself as the system is more or less idle.

Yup, you really need to take the screenshot while fully loading the CPU...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Armedocr wrote: »

Thats very much normal for a idle CPU. With speedstep and the likes the cpu will underclock and undervolt.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Yup, you really need to take the screenshot while fully loading the CPU...
    I really need to *not* fully load the cpu :) The cpu is getting too hot!

I will load test it when I have the new cooler installed.

Odd problems coming out of sleep - wouldn't come out until the third or fourth go fr example. Then it would recover system state fine.

Then a bsod while just using skype just now. On restart would not detect hard disks. Then would not detect second hard disk nor boot. Several times. Turned it off and left it a while. Turned on and booted fine after that.

Dodgy motherboard?

bsod again while left on overnight. Left it a off for a minute or two. No problem restarting this time.

Checked the event log. Both critical events recorded were categorised as kernel power events (event id 41)

Sounds like either marginal memory or a bad CPU or mobo power phase :( It could still be some kind of auto-OC issue of course...

• Advertisement

I think it's cutting out due to overheating:

It cut out once since, while I was playing a game, and I am certain that occasion was from overheating. I looked in event viewer, and that was listed as the same type of event.
    I noticed a spike in the processor activity and the temperature while it was pretty idle. So it being idle does not preclude overheating.

It hasn't occurred since I finished updating windows incidentally.

It did crash once since the updates were installed. I think that was from overheating again.

I installed the Frio. Now it maxes out at 53 degrees instead of almost 90 during the windows experience index. I think it should stop crashing now. If it doesnt I am wrong about it being from overheating.

It thinks my cpu fan is 0 revs. It clearly isn't but the warning is slightly annoying. What is more anoying is that it goes into bios settings before it will boot now because it thinks there is a cpu fan error.

Advertisement