Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Behaviour tips for those working with Sabis

• 21-06-2011 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Just thought I d share my experience of working in Sabis schools and what I would have done differently if I was to do it again.As well as my year in Chouefait I have taught for two years in a really challenging school in the UK where children can run out of class, throw chairs, spit and swear blind. Choueifat seems like a walk in the park in comparison. :D Here are some things I have learnt from my experience

1. The absolute Golden rule is SHOUTING is not a form of discipline. 9 times out of 10 it means the teacher has lost control and children pick up on it. Shouting is only a last resort if the pupil is about to cause themselves or another pupil harm. Children eventually become used to shouting if its used every day and then it is completely ineffective even in emergencies when it may be appropriate.
    Now discipline is different. It can come in many forms. The school does have corridor supervisors for discipline eg calling home, keeping them outside, telling them off in Arabic but I would keep that in reserve for extreme circumstances.

2. Be clear on your expectations eg if you say no talking that means no talking, make sure children know what they have to do. Boredom can lead to dispruptive behaviour. If a child is on task they are less likely to misbehave.

3. PRAISE the good behaviour eg Look at Mohommed sitting beautifully oooh lets see who else is?

4. Use rewards for good children and take them away from children who are not behaving. I used stickers, sweets, postcards anything I could get my hands on.
    Star of the day is a good idea and when a child who can be naughty makes an effort make sure it is recognised either verbally or with a reward.

5. Sanctions can include taking away treats and rewards, missing a couple of minutes of breaktime. BUT make sure the child understands why you have done that. Use a child who speaks good English if nessecary.

6. The most important thing to remember you CANNOT control a childs behaviour only YOUR own. If you panic, shout, become angry you have lost the battle and the child will know he or she got to you. It can be difficult but remain calm, be firm and don t get into a shouting match with a child. Leave them to calm down and then speak with them after and tell them what they did wrong.

Hope these tips help....

Advertisement