Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ICE

• 21-06-2011 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I read a few years ago that you should put your next of kin on your mobile under ICE (In Case of Emergency) and your relationship in case they needed to be contacted by the services. Since then I have put my mother in. Is it necessary, does it help?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

That's been posted a few times in this forum now. Have a read here.

i would say it's no use unless you etch your pin code onto your phone.

The same goes for the doner card app for smart phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

My wife done it but a few people that seen her contacts thought that my pet name was Ice man...:p:p

I dont think I am that cool.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

but most people have a password/pin or similar on their smart phone, so even if its switched on, you still cant access any details on the phone.

ice or no ice

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭voter1983

I think it's a good idea but it was never promoted enough. Admittedly it does have problems with PIN numbers but even with that it's still an improvment on the current system of cold calling ramdon numbers on a mobile phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Ideally the phone would allow access to this emergency number even when locked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Mine doesn't have a PIN lock set. Don't really see the point to it, there's nothing on there of critical secrecy. As a result, I do have an ICE number. I know it's not something often looked for, but it doesn't do me any harm to have on one of the slots in the 'phone book.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I posted asking about this before too.

I've a smart phone but find those "special unlocks" annoying, so i don't use on. I've 3 ice numbers on my phone my Father, brother and GP.. all are the first contacts you see, i think it's a great idea,

Recently my parents (both first aiders) were among the first people upon a head on collision, while attending to what they deemed the more serious car, my parents were informed (because it was assumed they were doctors, funny what a pair of surgical gloves and knowing what to do can make people think) that the sole occupant of the other car was on conscious and not know by anyone at the incident, so they said to check the mans phone for an ICE number, (mainly because i had been talking to them about it previously that week) and if there was nun to check recent calls,

Turns out the man had an ICE number saying ICE-WIFE, and after calling her it was discovered the man suffered from a condition that required a lot of medication that could case complications if the wrong drugs were administered to him.. All that info was then passed onto the paramedics who found it very helpful..

AFAIK All are well and no-one was seriously injured.

Advertisement