Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meego based Nokia N9

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Eoin_Sheehy

That's a beautiful looking phone, I haven't seen a negative comment about it yet, really wondering why Nokia is dumping MeeGo for Windows Phone now, I would love to buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They aren't dumping Meego though. W7 will be their primary OS but there will still be Meego development.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

don't see Ireland listed as one of the countries for release :(
    http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-n9/check-availability
    hopefully we'll see this list amended.

-Coley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭g0g

Think there's a post about it in upcoming phones! Again I'll ask the question here - why the hell are Nokia putting anything other than Xenon flashes on phones these days? Does it impact too much on size, weight, cost or battery life?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's a fantastic looking phone. I'd take that design over my iPhone 4's anyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

For the availability question that list was for the nokia shop's online, uk, usa aren't even listed because nokia closed their shops online and are selling through 3rd parties. eg expansys.

for the xenon flash comment, it would have impacted the size and thickness of the device,
    The camera is up there with the n8 though. there's lots of info floating around about how good the camera is.

I've the n900 and i love it, has it's drawbacks but they weren't that big for me. This device is alot more user friendly and i've gone through loads of documentation from nokia to find out more about it.

check out www.swipe.nokia.com for a run through of it.

I was thinking that a windows phone 7 would be my next device in a year or so but after seeing this i have to get it. High quality craftsmanship, gorilla glass, amazing camera. extremely fast and optimized operating system. no need to jailbreak it has an option in the settings to switch developer mode on or off. not restricted to 1 location to download games/apps.

If you want to stand out from the crowd and have what the iphone and androids should have been i suggest you look it up and when it's released try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The WP7 version of this phone will be stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

They aren't dumping Meego though. W7 will be their primary OS but there will still be Meego development.

My understanding is that Nokia are pulling out of the Meego as a phone OS after this. They may keep some interest in Meego as a tablet platform but I think that most of that push is coming from Intel.

There's also the fact that meego is heavily designed to use QT as the dev platform which Nokia have also pushed back / dropped and won't be porting to WP7

matrim wrote: »
    My understanding is that Nokia are pulling out of the Meego as a phone OS after this. They may keep some interest in Meego as a tablet platform but I think that most of that push is coming from Intel.

There's also the fact that meego is heavily designed to use QT as the dev platform which Nokia have also pushed back / dropped and won't be porting to WP7

Nokia have always stated that meego will be for future and wp7 will be their "main" smartphone platform, maemo was never the main and i don't think meego will be either any time soon.

Qt is also not being pushed back but pushed forward, especially since the latest version. Qt is used on multiple platforms from linux to windows to mobiles to in-car systems. given that the whole world seems to be drooling over the UX nokia has released with meego 1.2 on the N9 (and it's hard to make engadget vlad the nokia hater like anything nokia let alone drool)

I don't think it will get as much support as wp7 but i don't think it needs to be supported beyond a year as a device.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

its an savage looking phone BUT im worried about support look at the N900 which is NAEMO one device will nokia continue support for this as they are focused on windows devices now and symbian3
    if you like that look at this

http://www.technet.hu/telefon/20110624/exkluziv_video_elop_bemutatja_az_elso_windowsos_nokiat/

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokias_first_wp7_device_codenamed_sea_ray_breaks_loose-news-2816.php

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »
    its an savage looking phone BUT im worried about support look at the N900 which is NAEMO one device will nokia continue support for this as they are focused on windows devices now and symbian3
    if you like that look at this

http://www.technet.hu/telefon/20110624/exkluziv_video_elop_bemutatja_az_elso_windowsos_nokiat/

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokias_first_wp7_device_codenamed_sea_ray_breaks_loose-news-2816.php

What type of support do you want? with the n900 i wanted bug's fixed so it was more stable and 1 or 2 features added. and yes a little let down they stopped pushing it but they fixed a lot of bugs.

The difference with the n9 is that even if nokia only give the same amount of support it will still be an amazing device which won't lack much at all. Qt is the big thing for this and symbian and there's alot of developers using it and i would image it'd make sense to use Qt on meego platform also.
    I'd suggest waiting until it's release to see how it goes but i wouldn't worry so much about support unless it's half baked (which we can see it isn't) or unless you want to have a massive app store (not to bothered about that, out of box experience with out the need of apps to make it a good phone for me please.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

smegheadz wrote: »
    What type of support do you want? with the n900 i wanted bug's fixed so it was more stable and 1 or 2 features added. and yes a little let down they stopped pushing it but they fixed a lot of bugs.

The difference with the n9 is that even if nokia only give the same amount of support it will still be an amazing device which won't lack much at all. Qt is the big thing for this and symbian and there's alot of developers using it and i would image it'd make sense to use Qt on meego platform also.
    I'd suggest waiting until it's release to see how it goes but i wouldn't worry so much about support unless it's half baked (which we can see it isn't) or unless you want to have a massive app store (not to bothered about that, out of box experience with out the need of apps to make it a good phone for me please.)

im not really bothered about the N900 mate but nokia have alot of issues with updating their products go to the forums and check out symbian ANNA,plus other devices like S60,thats at its end now anyway.
    I like this N9 myself bud dont get me wrong.

i'm not to bothered about symbian because it didn't age very well. i moved from n95 8gb to the n900, and i don't think i'll ever go back to symbian, i've used android and ios and wp7 but i don't like how locked in i am to their way of doing things. eg ios have to use itunes and it's a feature phone withough apps. wp7 isn't that great, it's still the same old winmobile underneath and microsofts track record of ditching win mobile versions is near criminal! android is pretend open, very bloated and needs high end hardware to make it work, is becoming more and more fragmented and i don't like any of the interfaces i've used so far. meego without nokia's UX looked terrible but it's very solid and run well on lower spec hardware so cheaper to build. just hope LG do a nice UX for their meego phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ8UVHGAzfs&feature=youtu.be
    HAHA check out his reaction to the N9 announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

They have confirmed this week no matter how successful the N9 is they will be dropping the Meego os. I can't post a link but you'll find them with a quick Google

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

they wont be dropping meego but the n9 will be the last harmattan device, theres a huge difference. the n9 is not a true meego device but maemo6, the important thing to remember is that meego will be developed still and that is heavily steeped in Qt whcih means you can have all those lovely apps/games easily. also you can put meego handset ce on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

they wont be dropping meego but the n9 will be the last harmattan device, theres a huge difference. the n9 is not a true meego device but maemo6, the important thing to remember is that meego will be developed still and that is heavily steeped in Qt whcih means you can have all those lovely apps/games easily. also you can put meego handset ce on it too.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/25/nokias-stephen-elop-is-still-over-meego-even-if-the-n9-is-a-hi/

Dropped like a hot potato!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

You need to make a distinction between "OS", "API" and "User Experience". The OS (the bit that handles the hardware, schedules the tasks and lets applications run; the bit that is based on Linux) is going; Qt, the main API libraries (the bits that application developers use to make apps) is still continuing, and the new User Experience (the set of applications that provide the features of the phone to the user) is also continuing.

At the "leak" of Nokia's Windows Phone prototype, Elop said: "there is a whole collection of innovation available in the N9 that is going to live on [...] we're not saying exactly what device, or when or how, but the user experience you see here is something that will live on as well". (here's the video)

My guess is that while there's a chance that much of this Qt-based UI will make it to future Symbian updates too, this work is really for Nokia's lower product lines: As the hardware that currently runs Series40 becomes more capable, Nokia will bring Qt to these devices, and with it, this new user experience. Bringing Qt to lower-end devices has already been announced as part of Nokia's "Next Billion" plans.

Windows Phone will replace everything that now runs Symbian; Qt-based devices will fill in below in what used to be called the "Featurephone" market, and this is where the major opportunity for application developers lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TechnoKid

Stephen Elop is a *beep*. He has made bad decision after bad decision. He is basically a Microsoft puppet, mainly because he worked there before he came to Nokia. Lets list a few decisions:

1. "Let's use WP7 as our primary operating system!" I am in no way against Nokia adopting WP7 but making it the primary operating system? It's a down-right puppet. Symbian and MeeGo have more support, They are open and the media loves MeeGo.. Not so much Symbian but the people who have looked at Symbian Belle (The upcoming version of Symbian) described it as: "This could change Symbian and how people think of it" and "I'm thinking of buying this....[When it comes out]". Another thing: Nokia don't even have a WP7 released.

2. "Nokia will abandon Symbian" Symbian is still a very large platform and Symbian Belle looks extremely promising....

3. "Nokia will abandon MeeGo" While Nokia will still "test" on MeeGo, They won't be making phones made with MeeGo even though the N9 could be a massive hit (it would be but Nokia aren't supplying it in their main market... I know, It's just *beep*)

There is plenty more reasons on this webpage:
    http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2011/7/5/wanna-be-the-ceo-of-nokia-take-the-simple-quiz.aspx?pageid=1

Another Webpage, This is pleading for Stephen Elop to be fired:
    http://www.firestephenelop.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

TechnoKid wrote: »
    1. "Let's use WP7 as our primary operating system!" I am in no way against Nokia adopting WP7 but making it the primary operating system? It's a down-right puppet. Symbian and MeeGo have more support, They are open and the media loves MeeGo.. Not so much Symbian but the people who have looked at Symbian Belle (The upcoming version of Symbian) described it as: "This could change Symbian and how people think of it" and "I'm thinking of buying this....[When it comes out]". Another thing: Nokia don't even have a WP7 released.

Symbian is dying just as RIM is dying too. The only growth area for Symbian is in the very low-cost devices that are pushed out into third world countries.

Nokia don't have a WP7 device yet but Neither does MS have a symbiotic hardware partner so the Nokia / MS link up is going to really gain a lot of traction for WP7. Using both Android and WP7 development platforms, I can see how appealing WP7 app development is going to become.

The media doesn't love Meego, the media loves the iPhone and then Android somewhat.

Symbian Belle is too little, too late and doesn't address the fundamentals. It also doesn't help that symbian and touch screen are associated with being a horrible mis-match.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Symbian was never designed to be a touch-screen OS alright, but I think Symbian^3 (and capacitive) screens helped a great deal. S60 was, and still is a fantastic keypad OS, but with that success, Nokia couldn't just halt it there - but it didn't well at a critical time. I blame that on the resistive screen.

At first I was unhappy about WP7, but I'm actually looking forward to it on Nokia devices when I see it's ever-expanding capabilities and new approach. I hope Nokia WP7 devies have additional capabilites in relation to other WP7 manufacturers, such as maps and Nokia Beta Labs. Nokia's in house developers are actually very inventive and should be kept on.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

Lovely phone. Would love one. Just have to hold my breath and hope Nokia release it here!

Stephen Elop has confirmed that Nokia will release a consumer WP7 by the end of the year. A leaked phone called the "Nokia Sea Ray" has a few pictures and specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

TechnoKid wrote: »
    Stephen Elop has confirmed that Nokia will release a consumer WP7 by the end of the year. A leaked phone called the "Nokia Sea Ray" has a few pictures and specifications.

Demo of a working Sea Ray device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl_zUFprjbA

Looks ok but I still wouldn't touch a nokia phone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

i'm not to bothered about symbian because it didn't age very well. i moved from n95 8gb to the n900, and i don't think i'll ever go back to symbian, i've used android and ios and wp7 but i don't like how locked in i am to their way of doing things. eg ios have to use itunes and it's a feature phone withough apps. wp7 isn't that great, it's still the same old winmobile underneath and microsofts track record of ditching win mobile versions is near criminal! android is pretend open, very bloated and needs high end hardware to make it work, is becoming more and more fragmented and i don't like any of the interfaces i've used so far. meego without nokia's UX looked terrible but it's very solid and run well on lower spec hardware so cheaper to build. just hope LG do a nice UX for their meego phone.

There's a big difference what win mo and wp7. Its not windows mobile under it either.

You might not like iTunes or Zune. But people don't know how to do it any other way. Their drag and drop definition is drag the phone onto the laptop.

While I also used to hate iTunes and Zune I managed to grow into it. Don't have to look for folders anymore. Just right click and sync. Either way wp7 has a program that enables it to work as usb storage. Don't even need to jailbreak :)

LG have said they won't be developing and releasing the proto-type phone. Also, I hope Nokia is just dropping MeeGo until the next version :p. Others have been speculating that Stephen Elop will be killing MeeGo but certain popular features will be integrated into WP7, being Nokia exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Symbian was never designed to be a touch-screen OS alright
    Um... yes it was. The last Psion organisers, on whose OS Symbian is based, had touch. The Ericsson R380, one of the first Symbian mobiles, was a touch-screen (followed by the SonyEricsson P800/P900).

Nokia's Series60 was unusual for not having touch support, but their abandoned Symbian-based Series70 did (Nokia 7700).

The problem was the Series60 with the AVKON UI toolkit quickly became Nokia's mainstay OS, and it was the least touch-friendly of them all. Symbian3 removed most of the nasty touch-unfriendly side-effects from AVKON. The latest Anna cleans up some small things, and the forthcoming Belle is as touch-friendly as Android. Of course, if like most "Symbian" developers, you write your apps against the Qt API, rather than Symbian3/AVKON, all of this is irrelevant. Qt has very good touch and gesture support, and you get it for free.

By the way, the N9 has "global release" according to Nokia Developer. This means Nokia will offer it to mobile operators in every country. I've read that Vodafone UK are taking it, but don't have a launch date.

If you want to see it in Ireland, call in to your local Vodafone/O2/Three/Meteor/eMobile and ask them if they'll have an N9 for you when your contract renews. These enquiries are usually recorded in some way to gauge interest.

Failing that, buy it online, sim-free. It'll be pretty much the same price as a PAYG version anyway.

@TechnoKid - MeeGo will not be used by Nokia for phones. This isn't going to change. The straightforward reason was that it would not be ready for mass-market use. The N9 is not MeeGo; it's Maemo6 with the Harmattan UI, and MeeGo-compatible libraries. To all intents and purposes (the ones that matter to most users) that's good enough; but the fact that this phone is using the Maemo kernel is a pretty big advertisment that the core OS of MeeGo was not ready for Nokia's hardware.
    There's a lot of bitching at Nokia for this, but it's Intel who dropped the ball here - they were supposed to have a low-power Atom smartphone design, and even showed prototypes, but it's still not here; N9 runs on an ARM, not Intel, System-on-Chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

So any word if this will be released here?

Also do people expect it to be supported in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

So any word if this will be released here?

Also do people expect it to be supported in the future?

I saw that it may be able to run android apps too. http://techbu.com/2011/06/23/meego-powered-nokia-n9-will-run-android-applications-seamlessly-with-alien-dalvik-android-emulator

Advertisement