Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meego based Nokia N9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Jaafa wrote: »
    So any word if this will be released here?

Also do people expect it to be supported in the future?

I saw that it may be able to run android apps too. http://techbu.com/2011/06/23/meego-powered-nokia-n9-will-run-android-applications-seamlessly-with-alien-dalvik-android-emulator

Nokia rep told me it will not be.

But usually phone company reps are full of **** so hang on to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Nokia rep told me it will not be.

But usually phone company reps are full of **** so hang on to see.

I'd imagine I could still get it off expansey or such?

I'd imagine I could still get it off expansey or such?

Obviously :) since nokia shut down its online sales sites it relies on the likes of expansys to distribute its phones of non retail sites.

Apparent count down till it launches in 49 days :)

http://swipe.nokia.se/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Also do people expect it to be supported in the future?

Look at the N900 as an example. Meego will be supported briefly and then it'll be done. Especially considering it's limited market i wouldn't bet on getting much support tbh.

Look at the N900 as an example. Meego will be supported briefly and then it'll be done. Especially considering it's limited market i wouldn't bet on getting much support tbh.

I've a feeling tho,based on the reception online, that it'll sell pretty well. Perhaps then Nokia will step up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've a feeling tho,based on the reception online, that it'll sell pretty well. Perhaps then Nokia will step up?

I really don't think they will. Only time will tell i suppose. But I certainly wouldn't be dropping any cash on it if support from Nokia is one of your concerns.

I really don't think they will. Only time will tell i suppose. But I certainly wouldn't be dropping any cash on it if support from Nokia is one of your concerns.

Thats why going for Nokia WP7 phone is a much smarter choice as Microsoft is the one who writes updates.

Hey and it looks the same with the added Camera button on the side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

played with the n9 during training, its really nice, smooth and i love meego, shame it wont be backed properly... N9 is an awesome phone but only with teh Meego os, not interest in the windows version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Thats why going for Nokia WP7 phone is a much smarter choice as Microsoft is the one who writes updates.

Hey and it looks the same with the added Camera button on the side :)

I'd be very tempted to get one of these with WP7 on it but I'm expecting Nokia to have an even higher spec phone out at the same time for WP7. This phone is just a nice distraction for everyone :)

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I'd be very tempted to get one of these with WP7 on it but I'm expecting Nokia to have an even higher spec phone out at the same time for WP7. This phone is just a nice distraction for everyone :)

Well hopefully we will. Do remember up to this day nokia has struggled to put a device on the market that matches the performance of todays smartphones. So hopefully we will see a market first, and not just another 1ghz handset. As said before they need something really special, not just one unique selling point, but many over android and ios phones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Nokia really are shooting themselves in the foot. The only reason they are doing this is because they fear people wont buy the WP7 version of the phone when it comes out. Bad idea IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

What a joke! All that work and money into Meego and they're not even going to attempt to sell the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭da wiseguy

there is a lot of disinformation flying around too - one site says not coming here, other site says it is coming here....how the hell are you supposed to know what is right...!?

Nokia really are shooting themselves in the foot. The only reason they are doing this is because they fear people wont buy the WP7 version of the phone when it comes out. Bad idea IMO.

Thats complete rubbish! They will be selling the Nokia N9 phones in the same countries where they will be selling their WP7 phones. Use your brain and try to figure out why. :rolleyes:

Thats complete rubbish! They will be selling the Nokia N9 phones in the same countries where they will be selling their WP7 phones. Use your brain and try to figure out why. :rolleyes:

People were hating Nokia for a long time now. N9 with meego came along and everyone thought they had turned things around. I know a lot of people we're dying to get this phone with meego. They're gona piss people off with this move. In at least 2 big big markets. Anyway you put it, that's a bad move.

Frankly meego is the only thing that really makes this phone stand out from the crowd. Without it its just another windows phone with a better camera. It'll be lost in the WP7 pool IMO.Because you can bet the next range from HTC etc are gona be dual-core, 8mp camera etc, and then it'll have nothing at all going for it.

I just think it would have sold better or at least as well with meego instead of WP7.

I don't think you know that Nokia are not selling the N9 or the WP7 (SeaRay) version in the US

I don't think you know that Nokia are not selling the N9 or the WP7 (SeaRay) version in the US

Well then this decision makes even less sense. With skip this market completely?
    I heard something about it not supporting carriers? Whats that about?

Well then this decision makes even less sense. With skip this market completely?
    I heard something about it not supporting carriers? Whats that about?

They haven't done anything in the US market todate so they have to start a fresh and to do this they have to have different handsets, not just release with one but with a cheap low end phone, mid range phone and a high spec phone. In the US Nokia will only sell WP7 phones, nothing else well maybe Windows 8 tablets at some point. Nokia cannot sell the N9 there for there plan to work, there going forward with WP7 as there only OS in the US and can't release a Meego phone there, not only that there advertising will be part paid for by Microsoft.

Chris Weber (US Nokia head) only release their plan yesterday.
    http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lays-out-its-plan-to-conquer-america/

Well fair enough about America but surly in thery're stronghold of europe you would think they'd keep it up. They're not releasing it in Germany too. http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/11/nokia-n9-gets-axed-in-germany-global-tour-looks-even-more-meage/

At this rate it's gona be a collectible. :(

• Advertisement

Well fair enough about America but surly in thery're stronghold of europe you would think they'd keep it up. They're not releasing it in Germany too. http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/11/nokia-n9-gets-axed-in-germany-global-tour-looks-even-more-meage/

At this rate it's gona be a collectible. :(

Nobody wants Meego or more importantly no carriers want meego.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

One last time:

Nokia are not withholding the N9 from certain markets. Operators in some countries have decided to offer N9 to their customers; in other countries, operators have decided to wait for Nokia's WP7 devices instead.

All these stories are talking about is on-contract, subsidised availability from day one of launch. It doesn't mean that N9 will never be available in a country, or that you can't buy it in a particular country.

If sales are good in other territories, or if a sizeable number of SIM-free devices show up on their networks, operators will reconsider offering the model. No business refuses money.

See Stephen Elop's reply to this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

Disappointed that it wont be released in the US or by the looks of it the UK. Looked like a real contender to wipe the iPhone floor. However one would hope that there is a method in Nokia's madness and the WP7 phones are a sucess. I guess we'll just have to wait and see which online sim free sites recieve the N9 and the price they charge for what seems to be a "collectable" item even before its "globally" launched!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...Looked like a real contender to wipe the iPhone floor....!

What makes the iPhone a success is not the hardware. Nokia is a long way behind with OVI store and hundreds of different models which can't run the same apps. Its like they fire features at phones with a random cannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TechnoKid

Didn't MeeGo have the capability to support android apps ? Something to do with the qt? http://techbu.com/2011/06/23/meego-powered-nokia-n9-will-run-android-applications-seamlessly-with-alien-dalvik-android-emulator

BostonB wrote: »
    What makes the iPhone a success is not the hardware. Nokia is a long way behind with OVI store and hundreds of different models which can't run the same apps. Its like they fire features at phones with a random cannon.

Actually, the iphone's success had a lot to do with the hardware. It was just as important as software...

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Actually, the iphone's success had a lot to do with the hardware. It was just as important as software...
    You're right, but not the way you're implying there.
    iPhone's hardware was a couple of years behind its competition. No high-speed data, a 2 Mpix camera, no video capture, network-positioning (not GPS), no storage, no bluetooth, lousy battery life.

What it did have was a capacitive touch panel and good software. Plus, in the US, where carriers had blocked their customers from ever getting their hands on a decent phone, it was an absolute revolution.. (iPhone 1 was the first phone ever sold through a US operator that the operator did not cripple in some way)

If iPhone had launched with 3G, bluetooth, true GPS and a decent camera, then Nokia in particular may have taken it seriously. As it was, they dismissed it as a toy. In fairness, it was a toy. The problem was that the follow-up 3G model was still a toy, but one that was "good enough" for real phone users to justify buying, and there were a lot of people who were franky fed-up with Nokia having the expensive phone market to itself.

So, I reckon iPhone succeeded by having a crap enough spec that allowed it to be ignored by its competitors.

TechnoKid wrote: »
    Didn't MeeGo have the capability to support android apps ? Something to do with the qt? http://techbu.com/2011/06/23/meego-powered-nokia-n9-will-run-android-applications-seamlessly-with-alien-dalvik-android-emulator

Tell that to anyone with N97.

Which part? I'm not particularly sure what your getting at.

The N97 is a brick because of the dire software.

The iPhone 4 is missing a lot of hardware. Memory card slot, A Radio, Removable Battery, no USB Mass Storage, no camera key, xenon flash, a USB port for petes sake. It even has reception issues.

But using S60 and OVI, vs IOS4 and App store. Theres simply no comparison.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    The N97 is a brick because of the dire software.

The iPhone 4 is missing a lot of hardware. Memory card slot, A Radio, Removable Battery, no USB Mass Storage, no camera key, xenon flash, a USB port for petes sake. It even has reception issues.

But using S60 and OVI, vs IOS4 and App store. Theres simply no comparison.

There's a lot of memory? :P They are good points though except for that one. This is off topic but I'd've bought the Nokia N8 without question if it had Android, Symbian Belle or MeeGo.

Advertisement