Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meego based Nokia N9

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Much easier to take out a memory card and put it in your PC to copy stuff to it, than use a propriety cable and application to do it. Which of course the PC your at if its not at home, might not have. Or if the phone dies, to recover from the memory card etc. Or s you can upgrade your phones memory capacity later after you've bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭da wiseguy

but...is it going to be available here on contract? i.e. i don't want to buy a sim-free unit....

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

If you want it on contract, email your operator and ask them for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TechnoKid

KrisW wrote: »
    If you want it on contract, email your operator and ask them for it.

or buy a bill-pay sim and unlock the N9

You won't need to unlock the N9 -- the only phones available in Ireland will be SIM-free, SIM-unlocked, unless an operator takes it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I'm no expert in this area but need to get a new pay as you go smart phone.N9 appears to be a good phone,was thinking of pre ordering it on expansys.So I wait until the windows OS is in place or go with the Meego based OS?I kind of ruled out the Symbian based N8,seems to be outdated?I do love my nokia phones,this will be my first true smartphone.Already have an ipod touch,so I do not want a contract based Iphone.I've read missed reviews on the Android phones.Looking for a phone that will have a hdmi connection,sd card slot.The N9 does'nt not appear to have this?Does it have a compass,WLAN capability,think it appears to have on the specs???Finally I'd like if it had microsoft functionality,word,excel,outlook etc..If not certainly an applications functionality to access skype,youtube and play various video codecs?Forgive my ignorance but it is'nt a cheap phone if I can even buy it!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The N8 has all that no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TechnoKid

While the N8 has a smarter OS (Symbian) all the functionality is buried under the menus. MeeGo has a a lot nicer and easier to use UI or UX.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

There's no doubt it's a beautiful device.. looks slick to use as well. Utterly bizaare decision for them not to sell it here.

It may be sold in those independant shops around city centre.. it'll cost a pretty penny i'm sure though. The latest is that it's sold out in Finland on pre orders.

You'd think Nokia would get the message and give the people what they want..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moving to WP7 is possibly the best decision to come from Nokia in a long while imo. Only time will tell if this is true, but looking at how impressive WP7/WP7.5 already is, it makes sense to jump on that band wagon. Symbian was never going to be able to compete again with the big boys in the smartphone market. And I agree that Meego looks great, but good luck getting anyone to properly develop for it. And without developers it's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Plowman wrote: »

A year ago WP7's market share was exactly 0.0%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Plowman wrote: »

That's bound to happen, since they have dropped the old Windows Mobile sales for the old OS would plumet. Here's some info you don't need a crystal ball to see. Sales of Windows mobile soon to hit 0% of phone sales world wide.

Windows phone is going to be around for a long time. Windows 8 will help sell lots of Windows Phone 8. Windows 8 will be huge and that will be running on everything, desktop PC's, laptops, tablets and on phones.

Nokia will help sell lots of cheap Windows Tango phones to the emerging markets where Nokia is still the biggest seller.

Got a call recently from my operator, as my contract is about to run out. I told them that the only current or upcoming phone I'd be interested in was the Nokia N9. I asked them to make a note of this, which he did.

Operators will only offer a phone if they think it will bring them customers. I could see one of the two smaller operators taking a punt on N9 if there was sufficient customer buzz about it.

Advertisement