Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help with my sat nav?

Options
  • 21-06-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi all
    We're heading to France next week. We're going to a campsite called chateaux des ormes in Dol de Bretagne. Getting the ferry from Roscoff to Cherbourg.
    We've got our sat nav coordinates to help us find the campsite. However I have only used our sat nav before within Ireland. Our coordinates we've been given are in Latitude and Longitude. When I go into the st nav settings it only allows me to put in N S E or W.

maybe I'm having a dumb blonde day, but I cant figure it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

What type of SatNav have you and does it have French maps installed? A lot of SatNavs sold here just have Irish & UK maps installed.
    If you don't have the French maps installed it's not much good to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Thanks, its a Garmin Nuvi, has all the latest european maps installed. Ive got that far, its just the coordinates im having trouble with.
    Ive even gone on to the garmin website but no luck, its just telling me to change the settings but the settings wont allow me to change it from NSEW to Lat and Long..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭AlmostQuick

Ell69 wrote: »
    Hi all
    We're heading to France next week. We're going to a campsite called chateaux des ormes in Dol de Bretagne. Getting the ferry from Roscoff to Cherbourg.
    We've got our sat nav coordinates to help us find the campsite. However I have only used our sat nav before within Ireland. Our coordinates we've been given are in Latitude and Longitude. When I go into the st nav settings it only allows me to put in N S E or W.

I haven't used it but is this calculator any use? http://www.csgnetwork.com/gpsdistcalc.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moved from Travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Personally speaking, I don't like blindly following the Coordinates route, a single digit being wrong and you would end up in the opposite part of the world.

I also have a Garmin Nuvi btw, you can just search for Dol-de-Bretagne (as a City or maybe an Address) and work from there. If you can find your destination on the map then you can just hit 'Go'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I hired a car in Portugal a couple of weeks ago. What I did was to go to Google Earth and put in the names of the places I wanted to go (water parks, supermarkets etc.) I saved them as a favourite (with the yellow pin symbol). I looked at the properties of the locations and found the co-ordinates which I put into the sat nav.
    One thing I did notice was the amounts of POI available as compared to Ireland. Even without the co-ordinates I could have found every single place with no issue.
    It was very straightforward - just make sure you set the Garmin for fastest route, not shortest distance) so it sends you down the motorways

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks, its a Garmin Nuvi, has all the latest european maps installed. Ive got that far, its just the coordinates im having trouble with.
    Ive even gone on to the garmin website but no luck, its just telling me to change the settings but the settings wont allow me to change it from NSEW to Lat and Long..
    Latitude is either N or S of the equator, you can work out which one to use there, I guess :)

Longitude is either W or E of the Greenwich meridian, i.e. 0 deg longitude. It's a convention that -ve longitudes are W ,and +ve figures are E of Greenwich, but when you enter them on the Garmin just miss off the '-' and set it to W.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

for creating poi lists the garmin uses the gps coordinates in reverse order that google maps would use.

ie google maps use : 48.525544, -1.697422
    but garmin would use -1.697422, 48.525544

so try putting in the coordinates in in reverse order

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

pa990 wrote: »
    for creating poi lists the garmin uses the gps coordinates in reverse order that google maps would use.

ie google maps use : 48.525544, -1.697422
    but garmin would use -1.697422, 48.525544

so try putting in the coordinates in in reverse order
    That's true, but from what I can tell she wasn't trying to create a POI list, but entering the coordinates on the Where to > Coordinates screen. There you have two rows, latitude first and then longitude, and before each number there's a letter that can only be toggled between N/S or E/W. It actually won't allow you to enter a '-' in the numerical field for either longitude or latitude, as this is implied by the choice of E/W or N/S for each figure as I explained above.

Anyway, I'm guessing she's already there by now, either that or wandering aimlessly around eastern France somewhere still looking for her camp site :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 colm101

Hi all

Great campsite btw + easy to find too follow the signs for Comborg R795 from Dol and its on the left
    hand side about 8 km from Dol, watch out for the flags

• Advertisement
Advertisement