Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hedge-planting grant?

• 21-06-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

We're thinking of planting a hedge around part of our property which borders a local farmer's field... Then I got thinking, might the farmer be entitled to some kind of rep payment or grant if we let him plant the hedge instead. So maybe a free hedge for us and an incentive for him! I'm no farmer so am I way off with my understanding of things here?!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

MrThrifty,
    Your generosity knows no bounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Bizzum wrote: »
    MrThrifty,
    Your generosity knows no bounds.

That's the kind if neighbour you want in your worst nightmare.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

MrThrifty wrote: »
    We're thinking of planting a hedge around part of our property which borders a local farmer's field... Then I got thinking, might the farmer be entitled to some kind of rep payment or grant if we let him plant the hedge instead. So maybe a free hedge for us and an incentive for him! I'm no farmer so am I way off with my understanding of things here?!!
    you're not tight,are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Jeeze, I seemed to have walked into that one... Need to do something about that username... :o I suppose my thinking was that the farmer would be a dab hand at planting natural looking hedges and it could be a win-win for both of us?!

Or am I way off with my thinking in relation to reps schemes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

First the farmer must be in reps or aeos. Second he would have to pick hedge planting as one of his options. Third he would have to plant it in his own land. Fourth he would have to pick a boundary fence instead of an internal fence.

It would take a lot of luck for all those to happen and your section of the farm to be picked. And you want him to do it for you for free?

Good luck with that i'd say;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

hey it was a nice idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

That farmer, probably gets SFP, every year, which in the mind of the Mr. Thrifty's of this world is a grant to the farmer, for say keeping his beef cattle.
    So by extention the Thrifty lads, feel the farmer, should show a bit of solidarity with his neighbours and turn up on the door every second week, with a nice bit of roast, for Mrs. Thrifty to cook, and dish out to Pappa Thrifty, and all the cute little Thrifty's around the table.:cool:

God loves a trier. But he hates a chancer:D

5live wrote: »
    First the farmer must be in reps or aeos. Second he would have to pick hedge planting as one of his options. Third he would have to plant it in his own land. Fourth he would have to pick a boundary fence instead of an internal fence.

It would take a lot of luck for all those to happen and your section of the farm to be picked. And you want him to do it for you for free?

Good luck with that i'd say;)

It's a yes to several of those conditions above. In fact, the farmer actually planted some hedging previously on another border of our property. Suspect he didn't extend it around the side as he probably assumed we'd not be happy with it blocking our view, which wouldn't actually bother us at all...

So that's where I'm really coming from. Have no prob paying for hedging (hey, it's cheaper than fencing!) but just wondered, albeit ignorantly, if there might be a win-win for both the 'thrifties' and the farmer. Free roasts would of course be an unexpected bonus Atila...! :D

Unless it is specified on his plan then, IMO, it will be unlikely that he will plant there as it will not form part of the total area he is obliged to plant under the terms of the scheme. However, call in and talk to him and tell him you would have no objection to hedging there or that you would pay for hedging ( 1 euro a plant iirc) to complete his hedge if he was willing to do the maintainance. If he is in a scheme already then he may agree to plant more.

Best of luck:)

• Advertisement

Cool - asking a silly question maybe, why would a farmer be happy to have to maintain a hedge (his side and top of) indefinitely even if I pay for the plants initially? I can hear someone shouting in the background 'that's what neighbors do!' but is that all there is to it? Also, should the hedge be planted his side or my side of the fence that's there currently? I have no prob either way but just want to know what the norm is. Note that if the hedge is planted on the boundary line, then his fence posts would all have to be uprooted and moved which I presume is a pain and so isn't an option...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

It's a yes to several of those conditions above. In fact, the farmer actually planted some hedging previously on another border of our property. Suspect he didn't extend it around the side as he probably assumed we'd not be happy with it blocking our view, which wouldn't actually bother us at all...

So that's where I'm really coming from. Have no prob paying for hedging (hey, it's cheaper than fencing!) but just wondered, albeit ignorantly, if there might be a win-win for both the 'thrifties' and the farmer. Free roasts would of course be an unexpected bonus Atila...! :D

If I was next door to you, I'd be happy to erect this free of charge :D

Barbed-Wire.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Cool - asking a silly question maybe, why would a farmer be happy to have to maintain a hedge (his side and top of) indefinitely even if I pay for the plants initially? I can hear someone shouting in the background 'that's what neighbors do!' but is that all there is to it? Also, should the hedge be planted his side or my side of the fence that's there currently? I have no prob either way but just want to know what the norm is. Note that if the hedge is planted on the boundary line, then his fence posts would all have to be uprooted and moved which I presume is a pain and so isn't an option...

Plan your own hedge, on your own side - buy it, maintain it yourself. You can chose the type, height, everything... If its a half bought, half maintained affair its a pain, where someone will end up feeling like they got done.

Go out, buy it, plant it and be done with it.

If he is claiming reps/aeos then it will have to be on his land. And if he already has hedging put up then he would have to move the wire already to do it.

Best option, though, as username john says is DIY on your own land as there is no argueing after. As they say, an oral contract isnt worth the paper its written on:pac:

Perfect, will go about doing that. Thanks for the advice and sorry if I raised anyone's blood pressure!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

You will probably wait 'till the back end of the year before you go planting, keep on good terms with your neighbour, it could make the job of clipping it in a few years much handier if you can access it from both sides!

Ummm... Assumed Mr Farmer would look after his side of the new hedge?!! But seriously, I don't think that's unreasonable as we have to do the same on our side of the existing hedge which he planted a few years ago without consultation (which wasn't a prob to us). Will contact said farmer to run it by him just in case. Watch out, it could be your phone ringing!!! :D

Ummm... Assumed Mr Farmer would look after his side of the new hedge?!! But seriously, I don't think that's unreasonable as we have to do the same on our side of the existing hedge which he planted a few years ago without consultation (which wasn't a prob to us). Will contact said farmer to run it by him just in case. Watch out, it could be your phone ringing!!! :D
    Quick lads. Off with the mobiles:D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

That farmer, probably gets SFP, every year, which in the mind of the Mr. Thrifty's of this world is a grant to the farmer, for say keeping his beef cattle.
    So by extention the Thrifty lads, feel the farmer, should show a bit of solidarity with his neighbours and turn up on the door every second week, with a nice bit of roast, for Mrs. Thrifty to cook, and dish out to Pappa Thrifty, and all the cute little Thrifty's around the table.:cool:

Unfortunatly OP, as you are not a farmer, the words Grant or SFP or any other term relating to handouts should not be in your vocabulary.

Advertisement