Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bonfire night

• 21-06-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭

Twas brought up on ray foley today and apparently Mayo is a hotbed for it on the 23rd of June. Dublin Louth and Tipperary it appears fo not be a big thing. So which counties is it big in and when isn't it ?

Tis big in cork.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I'm in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Halloween is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

the leprechaun told me to burn things.

i havent seen a bonfire in dublin other than on halloween.

1000th

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭conlufc

ye bonefires night is a great night in mayo..even better when you've just finished your leavin:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd never even heard of this :confused:

A quick wiki check
    St John's Eve (or Oiche Fheile Eoin) is celebrated in many parts of Ireland with the lighting of bonfires.
    This ancient custom has its roots in pre-Christian Irish society when the Celts honored the Goddess Áine, the Celtic equivalent of Venus and Aphrodite. She was the Goddess Queen of Munster and Christianised rituals in her honour (as Naomh Áine) took place until the nineteenth century on Knockainy, (Cnoc Áine – the Hill of Áine) in County Limerick.

During the festival, people would say prayers, asking for God's blessing upon their crops. They would also take ashes from the fire, and spread them over their land as a blessing for protection for their crops. It was also common to have music, singing, dancing, and games during the festival. The fire was used for destroying small objects of piety (rosary beads, statues, etc.) without disrespecting God. It was also common for people to jump through the flames of the bonfire for good luck.

Sounds religious, the heathens on boards won't have anything to do with it

Are you doing the last part conlufc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ray Foley - proving how pointless radio shows can be, every Monday to Friday 12 - 2.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

aw you country folk, how quaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

mikemac wrote: »

A quick wiki check

RELIGION THREAD!!!!!!

i am outta here!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭conlufc

mikemac wrote: »

A quick wiki check

aw ya every year:D
    mind you them burn marks didnt bring me much luck:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Country folk as opposed to what? Folk from what passes for large town in other countries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Twas brought up on ray foley today and apparently Mayo is a hotbed for it on the 23rd of June. Dublin Louth and Tipperary it appears fo not be a big thing. So which counties is it big in and when isn't it ?

Tis big in cork.
    Second biggest night of the year for kids in Galway and Roscommon, after Christmas Eve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Let's burn the bondholders this bonfire night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I may be mistaken, but as far as I know it's Halloween in the cities (was here in Galway city) and midsummer in many rural areas. It's a remnant of Bealtaine, the summer fire festival (they still have a big shindig full of crusties in Edinburgh in the summer, with lots of fire eaters and such), they used to pass animals through it to ensure good harvest and milk and meat and such. And if they didn't survive you'd at least get a nice few steaks out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Burning stuff.

Wow! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

It's true to say it's pretty big here in Mayo. Where I live, almost every estate has a bonfire, varying in size. It has always been a night I've looked forward to, and this year promises to be no different. Many people utilize it as an opportunity to burn rubbish illegally, however, so that makes up many of the bonfires.

Also, the slagging of country folk here is inappropriate, it isn't reserved to country areas at all, and those who don't have it are missing out I think.

I may be mistaken, but as far as I know it's Halloween in the cities (was here in Galway city) and midsummer in many rural areas. It's a remnant of Bealtaine, the summer fire festival (they still have a big shindig full of crusties in Edinburgh in the summer, with lots of fire eaters and such), they used to pass animals through it to ensure good harvest and milk and meat and such. And if they didn't survive you'd at least get a nice few steaks out of it.
    Bonfires at Halloween is a recent urban thing. Where I grew up we had loads of Halloween traditions, bonfires was certainly not one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Do people in the West light bonfires to celebrate a wedding ? I was at a wedding in Tuam once and was driving to the reception in Ballinasloe. There were people lighting fires and waving at the wedding procession. Never saw that before anywhere else

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Do people in the West light bonfires to celebrate a wedding ? I was at a wedding in Tuam once and was driving to the reception in Ballinasloe. There were people lighting fires and waving at the wedding procession. Never saw that before anywhere else
    Yes, people light small bonfires along the route taken by the couple from the church to the reception.

Another tradition is for people to light fires for returning victorious GAA teams.

It's only when you live away from Connacht you realise how brilliant a place to live it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Bonfires at Halloween is a recent urban thing. Where I grew up we had loads of Halloween traditions, bonfires was certainly not one of them.

I am guessing but maybe this stemmed from the UK having bonfires on November 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Ray Foley - proving how pointless radio shows can be, every Monday to Friday 12 - 2.30pm.

Totally agree. The man is up his own ass!

• Advertisement

Like games? My mother would always try to get us to play games like bobbing for apples or this one where you've got a mound of flower with a peanut on top and you had to cut off a "slice" off flour without knocking the peanut. I think she hated us being near the bonfire and wanted to keep us away from it!

si_guru wrote: »
    I am guessing but maybe this stemmed from the UK having bonfires on November 5th.

I think that's it, as there's no real logical connection between bonfires and Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

si_guru wrote: »

Least they wait till it gets dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Yes, people light small bonfires along the route taken by the couple from the church to the reception.

Is that why they have stone walls ? Are they afraid they'd set the hedges on fire ? :D

Like games? My mother would always try to get us to play games like bobbing for apples or this one where you've got a mound of flower with a peanut on top and you had to cut off a "slice" off flour without knocking the peanut. I think she hated us being near the bonfire and wanted to keep us away from it!
    The games originated from superstitious people being afraid to go out on that night. People stayed in doors and the games kept the children occupied.

Young men however had no such fears. The result was that teenage boys had free reign to cause havoc unhindered. When these traditions traveled to America people would bribe boys with treats, hence trick-or-treat, which was itself imported into Ireland via TV.

The games originated from superstitious people being afraid to go out on that night. People stayed in doors and the games kept the children occupied.

Young men however had no such fears. The result was that teenage boys had free reign to cause havoc unhindered. When these traditions traveled to America people would bribe boys with treats, hence trick-or-treat, which was itself imported into Ireland via TV.

We kept the tradition of causing havoc, just restricted to the bonfire and how big/explosive we could make it. I'll never forget throwing in that can of oil :D

We kept the tradition of causing havoc, just restricted to the bonfire and how big/explosive we could make it. I'll never forget throwing in that can of oil :D
    On 23rd of June, the real Bonfire Night, every crossroads would have a bonfire, all organised by the local boys. Rivalries would break out between different groups as to who was building the biggest. Fires would be attacked, torn down, attempted to be set alight before the date and even stolen.

We stole an entire fire one time and added it to our own. Victory was sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

From Dublin, and I've never head of this before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

It is a big excuse to go on the lash and burn rubbish down here, Many a happy Bonna night i had in my youth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Have attended such nights in Mayo and there is some bye law that permits the burning of rubbish on the night, mostly lads and dads and lots of cans.

A bit like Halloween without the monkey nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

We have them in Sligo too, Bonfire night and St.Stephens night were usually the two nights of the year you'd be guaranteed a serious trad session in our local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Tis big in cork.

I've only ever heard about this going on in Cork City.Cannot say the same for the county.Although for halloween they would be popular all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Come up to Coolock, its bonfire night every night here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Never heard about this before, it certainly doesn't happen in kerry or cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

policarp wrote: »
    Halloween is it not?
    FatherLen wrote: »

i havent seen a bonfire in dublin other than on halloween
    Blisterman wrote: »
    From Dublin, and I've never head of this before.

Simple-ass city dwellers!
    always good for a laugh;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

you never heard of bonfire night....:eek:

as a kid growing in roscommon you would be building up to june 23rd for about 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Cork is well know for it's bonfires, there is always trouble with the fire brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Used to be big in Donegal too but electricity and telephones and other gadgetry have ruined it:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

We had a bonfire of sorts last friday night cos we knew it would be lashing this week. :)
    It's still common practice in Tyrone anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

There is something about watching a good bonna that brings out the inner caveman in us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Bonfire night is 5th November. It is the night for fireworks too. I've never understood why they have them at halloween here....

annascott wrote: »
    Bonfire night is 5th November. It is the night for fireworks too. I've never understood why they have them at halloween here....
    Not in Ireland it aint!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

annascott wrote: »
    And Bastille Day is the 14th of July we don't celebrate that either.
    Halloween (Samhain) was one of the main celtic festivals, it was a time when the barriers were down between the worlds and the start of the long dark time of the year, it's old, very old indeed.

Lots of bonfire building going on here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

A good sign of inter community peace in NI is when you see Loyalists embracing Irish Catholic culture by placing our dear flag ontop of a pile of wood, high above the Union Flags with a replica of the Pope beneath (wearing a Celtic jersey, Because we all know the Pope is a big fan of the Scottish football)
    I wish I could have stuck around for the festivities at nightfall, but I'm sure that by the next day, the flag and effigy were taken down with reverence.
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Bonfire night has always been huge in Sligo, and when I moved to Dublin I couldn't find a single person that knew what the hell it was. I always loved it because the weather would be good and it coincided with the end of school. It's much mellower than Halloween because you don't have the dodgy youths, fireworks and 'Devil's night' mentality surrounding it. People just sit out in the bright evening chatting and toasting marshmallows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I have just driven from Galway to west Mayo and there were none in galway and yet the whole of Mayo seems to be on fire , one every few miles but a lot of them seem to be an excuse for burning domestic/farm rubbish as there was nobody near most of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Theres a small one on the street now and I can see several piles of smoke around the city so plenty of bonfires here

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not in Ireland it aint!:eek:

In fairness I was always surprised we don't celebrate Guy Fawkes night here considering quite a few Irish people would have been happy to see the Houses of Parliament go boom back in the day :pac:

Bonfire was always great fun when I was growing up, the whole village would get together and we'd get to go off and kiss girls in the bushes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Don't think I have ever seen a bonfire on the 23rd of June here.

Maybe I don't get out enough :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

Dublin is too much into health & safety for having fun. Except for shagging strangers which goes a long way to make up for it i suppose

• Advertisement
Advertisement