Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which would you choose?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

could you strech to a 318 ? if not then the 316 still gets my vote , rwd, its a bmw and far nicer inside and to drive than an astra or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

if it was me i would stretch a bit and bargain hard on the focus......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks for the replies.

I'm unemployed at the moment. I got an insurance quote and taking tax and juice into consideration, I really need to set 1.6 as my max.

My preference so far has tended to be basically:
    1 - HRV
    2 - Focus 3door
    3 - BMW
    4 - Astra 3door

As far as I know, 60,000 miles isn't much for a HRV. I'm hoping to get something that I might have for at least 2 or 3 years without too much expense.

Cheers again. I'll take all replies into consideration.

in all reality that hrv you linked to looks like it was used to transport drugs. If your going for a hrv id stay away from that one

haha

It's definitely not the prettiest, as HR-Vs go. Only 60 miles though, where the Beamer has 100. If the BMW had 60 I'd be all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭magunkey

5 door astra. 1998. €1200
    I've naver had a proplom either...wonder what they taste like?

3 door Astra. 1999. €1700
    Might be okay.

3 door Focus. 2001. €2500
    Might be okay.

HR-V 1999. €2200
    Orange. You'll never sell it again.

BMW 316i 1999 €1850.
    Shed!

Focus 4 door 2001. €1700.
    Might be okay,

Golf 2001 5 door. €2800.
    Ad is 40 days old so nobody else is interested at that price.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If you can handle paying the extra tax, how does this grab you? 2.5k for an '04 with low mileage.

/EDIT I just see that the NCT is out, which may may explain the price.

condra wrote: »
    haha

It's definitely not the prettiest, as HR-Vs go. Only 60 miles though, where the Beamer has 100. If the BMW had 60 I'd be all over it.

i probably wouldnt pick that beamer either, that ad doesnt instill me with confidence in how it was cared for

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1998514 bit of haggling and this would be a better deal , has 80,000 on it, leather interior, still auto

Looks sweet Cartman but the ad is 2 months old. I suppose you never know! Might ring tomorrow just to see if it's still there.

-

Delly I saw that just today. I actually like those hatchback Almeras.:o It's not going to win any beauty pageants but they're grand yolks and a decent size.

Still, I've been looking at 1.4 and 1.5 engines, and there are other cheap options with low mileage, but smaller engines, such as 4 door Almeras. I'm probably going to stick to my guns on the 1.6 thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most auto Almeras are 1.8 litre.

Nice Honda Accord here if you ok with the 2.0 litre tax:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201118202262528

Or perhaps a Mazda 323f:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201119202341965

Or this, ugly as sin but within budget and has a long NCT:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201115201981982

All above are very reliable simple machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bazz26 wrote: »
    Most auto Almeras are 1.8 litre.

Nice Honda Accord here if you ok with the 2.0 litre tax:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201118202262528

Or perhaps a Mazda 323f:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201119202341965

Or this, ugly as sin but within budget and has a long NCT:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201115201981982

All above are very reliable simple machines.
    Mazda is the only hatchback, though. Looks nice, and the OP would have a bit of cash in hand for any unforseen problems.

I like the Accord too - high spec....

Not your ornery onager

I test drove that silver 3 dr Focus today, as well as a 5 door Astra (2001, not listed above)

The Focus wasn't as peppy as I thought it would be, but the interior was lovely and it felt very modern and refined.

Unfortunately it had really bad paint scrapes which the seller didn't highlight in the ad. The oil was also really low and the brakes were on their last legs. He wasn't prepared to knock a couple of quid off, and frankly, he was really cagey about everything, so I decided to move on.

I wasn't expecting much from the Astra. The interior was as bland as a brick, real "government issue"... But it was a great drive. It felt like driving a really fast tank. :D The seller needs the car over the weekend so I have a few days to think about it.

I've kinda gone off the HRV. I read that it can be heavy on juice, and loud at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

condra wrote: »
    It felt like driving a really fast tank. :D The seller needs the car over the weekend so I have a few days to think about it.

A friend of mine swears by his Astra, so I'm sure it will be good to you as long as you are good to it back.

I take it engine size and tax is an issue? I would be pointing you at a 318ci otherwise. It's a different world of comfort to an Astra, and you can find them at a good price nowadays.

Also, why would you be aiming for a hatchback?

Just to update for anyone following, I went to the top of my budget and got a 4 Door Ford Focus.

A saloon wasn't top of my list, but the price and mileage was right. I'm absolutely chuffed with it. It's the Ghia version, with a Zetec engine. I'm not sure what that means, but it has some nice features. Alloy wheels, fog lamps, etc.

It seems a tad perkier than the 5 door Focus I test drove yesterday. Am I just imagining things, or does a Zetec engine have a bit more poke than the base one?

Anyway, it's a fantastic car. Ten years old but still feels very clean and modern.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

All petrol focuses have zetec engines. Some are 1.4, others 1.6. This may be the difference?

Thanks for clarifying that. The hatchback was a 1.6 too.

Come to think about it, it might be because I had 2 passengers when I drove the hatchback, and I've been zipping around in the 4 door on my own today.

I know most of you guys here are car enthusiasts, and probably aren't too turned on by a Ford Focus, but I've only been driving a couple of years and this is my first truly modern car.

It feels so well designed. Everything is very chunky and user friendly. So far it seems to be a great car. I sold my old 1996 Toyota Cynos on Tuesday, and two days later I'm driving a 2002 Focus. I don't know myself!

Advertisement