Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity account stolen

Options
  • 21-06-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Not sure what category this comes under. I've just got back from holiday to find my electricity supply disconnected. I was with Bord Gais but when I called them they said the account had been transferred over to another supplier since last December. I never changed supplier and because I pay by direct debit I never noticed the bill wasn't paid. I guess I mixed it up with the gas bill.
    Anyway, on their advice I called ESB to find out who was the supplier. Turns out Airtricity have taken over the account without my knowledge and I suppose that because it wasn't paid they switched me off.
    I never got a bill from Airtricity so I had no idea they were supplying the electricity. It took me ages to find out from from ESB who the supplier was as they said the account was now in a name other than mine so they couldn't tell me who it was under the data protection act!
    Now I've no electricity and have to ring Airtricity in the morning to try sort it out as their customer service people aren't on call at night.
    I do remember some bloke coming around canvassing aggressively for Airtricity a few months back but I told him to jog on as he was getting on my nerves with his pushy sales pitch.
    I'm thinking maybe he signed up my address under a bogus name to get his commission.
    Anybody any idea where I stand? Obviously, I don't have an account number for Airtricity when I call them tomorrow I'm worried they won't talk to me either as all the utility providers will only talk to the account holder!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Could you try another method by ringing them up and saying you're a new tenant and they've to issue a new bill to you in your name? Or maybe switch back to the ESB over the phone? Keep saying the other tenant has done a runner and you need electricity ASAP and it's not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I suppose I could, but then if I slipped up it would look like I'm trying some kind of fiddle. Don't really want to lie because I've done nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Hi Jak, what if you ring ESB tomorrow and say hi lads I want to apply for supply in your own name. If you have had an account before and it was ok they will set you up with no deposit, if not direct debit or deposit.
    They will probably organise the reconnection (there may be a charge)and ESB Networks will insist on someone being there. This may take a day or two.
    I'm thinking maybe he signed up my address under a bogus name to get his commission

NOt sure about this, but Airtricity now have a final bill for whose ever name is on the bill and will be fairly strong in pursuing it if their previous track record is anything to go on.
    I would strongly suggest you lodge a complaint with them and CC a copy of it to the CER www.cer.ie
    Not a nice situation but this may be the best route to follow to get the lights back on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

jakdublin wrote: »
    I suppose I could, but then if I slipped up it would look like I'm trying some kind of fiddle. Don't really want to lie because I've done nothing wrong.

True you've done nothing wrong, but they are clamping down on people switching providers when they have arrears. It was in the news today. That suggests you can indeed switch provider if there are existing arrears. However, this won't be an option in the near future. So I would move fast to get my account back if I was you.

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm going to call Airtricty and settle the bill with them. I did use the electricity after all, but I'll be looking for compo for my freezer food and inconvenience. I will also be switching to a new provider. Can't believe this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi jakdublin,

Sorry to hear of your situation. If you're interested in switching back to us just let me know; with our new price plans you can avail of the best offers currently on the market.

Obviously the priority right now is to get the power back on. If I can be of any help don't hesitate to contact me directly by PM.

Thanks,

David.

Thanks David. I'm dealing with Airtricity at the moment and it looks like one of my neighbours switched and somebody took the wrong meter number during the switchover.
    They're trying to decide what to do about it at the moment, but I'm still without power and I'll be switching away from them asap. I was with Bord Gais before, but I'm a bit annoyed with them too for closing my account without notifying me properly.

Got switched back on. Blunder by Airtricity who admitted there was a mix up the block names in my development. They had the right number, but wrong block. Got credited for the damaged food and inconvenience.
    Can't believe it was so easy for this to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Good to hear you have the power back on! :)

Advertisement