Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub €200 GPU

Options
  • 21-06-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭

Well it's summer and I really need a GPU upgrade. I've got an old nVidia GeForce 8600 at the moment and it badly needs an update.

I've been out of the loop with the Leaving Cert in the past year so I was hoping someone could just give a quick bit of advice.

It doesn't need to be crazy powerful (obviously at €200 that's a given). I don't play as many games as I used to so as long as I can play games on fairly good settings I'll be happy. I'd also pay a little more for it to be reasonably quiet.

So any suggestions? Would like to buy from Amazon if possible btw, they're one of the few shops who sell hardware that I've never had any trouble with.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

GTX 560 ti ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What's your current power supply unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Monotype wrote: »
    What's your current power supply unit?

It's a 750W Thermaltake. Should have enough power for any single card I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Actually there is a Saphire HD6950 that works out at exactly 202 euro, a little cheaper than similar cards on scan.co.uk, pixmania and overclockers.co.uk even before the free delivery is factored in. It is a little faster than the GT 560 Ti.

1Gb should be plenty memory for gaming at 1080p and thereabouts resolutions for the foreseeable future, 2 GB models will probably set you back another 20-30 or so, but may offer slightly a little more future proofing. (Although there is ever chance you will be on you next card before having will more than 1GB becomes useful at those sort of resolutions)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-6950-GDDR5-Graphics-Card/dp/B004IO5BL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308702286&sr=8-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

if you don't know what physx or cuda are/can do, you'd be stupid to take the 560Ti over the 6950. 6950 is really good bang for buck, and that's coming from an NVIDIA man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

6950 can be flashed to a better card too ( someone youtube it :cool: )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Not very many 1GB ones unlock though.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    if you don't know what physx or cuda are/can do, you'd be stupid to take the 560Ti over the 6950. 6950 is really good bang for buck, and that's coming from an NVIDIA man.

I actually have one or two games that mention Physx but I don't really know what it is:o Care to enlighten?
    marco_polo wrote: »
    Actually there is a Saphire HD6950 that works out at exactly 202 euro, a little cheaper than similar cards on scan.co.uk, pixmania and overclockers.co.uk even before the free delivery is factored in. It is a little faster than the GT 560 Ti.

1Gb should be plenty memory for gaming at 1080p and thereabouts resolutions for the foreseeable future, 2 GB models will probably set you back another 20-30 or so, but may offer slightly a little more future proofing. (Although there is ever chance you will be on you next card before having will more than 1GB becomes useful at those sort of resolutions)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-6950-GDDR5-Graphics-Card/dp/B004IO5BL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308702286&sr=8-2

I decided to look up a few benchmarks. Some show the GT 560 Ti as better and some show the Radeon as better but it isn't a massive difference. I found a guy on Adverts selling it at a €200 asking price. Should I go for that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

C14N wrote: »

I decided to look up a few benchmarks. Some show the GT 560 Ti as better and some show the Radeon as better but it isn't a massive difference. I found a guy on Adverts selling it at a €200 asking price. Should I go for that?

Like I said there ain't a whole lot in it, but the 6950 has the few tiny percentage edge for the most part especially at higher resolutions, either one would be a great choice though. There is a review of the 1GB 6950 here.

As for that adverts ad, you could get either a HD 6950/GT 560 delivered for the same price as that one on adverts, so I wou;dn't go near it unless you can seal the deal for alot less than 200.

• Advertisement

Like I said there ain't a whole lot in it, but the 6950 has the few tiny percentage edge for the most part especially at higher resolutions, either one would be a great choice though. There is a review of the 1GB 6950 here.

As for that adverts ad, you could get either a HD 6950/GT 560 delivered for the same price as that one on adverts, so I wou;dn't go near it unless you can seal the deal for alot less than 200.

Yeah Amazon have the GT 560 and a HD 5950 for the same price but I might be able to knock about €20 off the adverts price and it's only a month old so I'm sure its still under warranty. Any reason it would be bad to go for?

The one above from Komplett looks pretty good too but I'm sure it would be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Yeah Amazon have the GT 560 and a HD 5950 for the same price but I might be able to knock about €20 off the adverts price and it's only a month old so I'm sure its still under warranty. Any reason it would be bad to go for?

The one above from Komplett looks pretty good too but I'm sure it would be similar.
    i wouldnt buy a second hand card for the saving of €20. he could have OC'd the bejasus out of it and took a serious hit out of its overall life span.

there'd likely be lots of hassle too if you had to RMA it in 8 months time cause something broke or something. peace of mind for an extra €20 goes a long way.

w/r/t unlocking the 6950 to 6970 performance, forget about it with any card other than a reference design, dual BIOS, 2gb version

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    i wouldnt buy a second hand card for the saving of €20. he could have OC'd the bejasus out of it and took a serious hit out of its overall life span.

there'd likely be lots of hassle too if you had to RMA it in 8 months time cause something broke or something. peace of mind for an extra €20 goes a long way.

Okay, put an offer of €150. I doubt he's done that much overclocking. If I he doesn't sell then I'll go to Amazon and get the Asus 560Ti that they have.

The other problem to consider is that even if it is under warranty, depending on the retailer/manufacturer they might well refuse to deal with anybody except the original purchasers (and be well within their rights to do so). So I would a) bargain way harded than that and b) get assurances from the seller that he will provide assistance if there are any warranty issues.

EDIT: I see you went €150, thats a much better opening gambit :)

The other problem to consider is that even if it is under warranty, depending on the retailer/manufacturer they might well refuse to deal with anybody except the original purchasers (and be well within their rights to do so). So I would a) bargain way harded than that and b) get assurances from the seller that he will provide assistance if there are any warranty issues.

EDIT: I see you went €150, thats a much better opening gambit :)

Yeah but another guy offered €170 so it looks like I'll be going with Amazon on this one:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just bought this card myself, cant wait to try it heh.

there doesnt seem to be much diff in both cards so whichever you get cheaper.

Just bought this card myself, cant wait to try it heh.

there doesnt seem to be much diff in both cards so whichever you get cheaper.

Yeah think I'll order the 560 this evening. Looking forward to it also.

Advertisement