Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stud tail in Cat

• 21-06-2011 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Herself has Stud tail and I'm wondering has anyone got any suggestions on how to deal with it. Vet is not an option at the moment. She is fine but there is a bit of a smell issue as she likes to sleep in my room. Can I give her Evening primrose oil?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Herself has Stud tail and I'm wondering has anyone got any suggestions on how to deal with it. Vet is not an option at the moment. She is fine but there is a bit of a smell issue as she likes to sleep in my room. Can I give her Evening primrose oil?

Firstly if there is a bad smell it could well be infected which means she needs antibiotics so she must see a vet asap before it gets any worse.

Not sure about evening primrose oil but you can get medicated shampoo to treat it from the vets and some good pet shops, also try covering the tail in baby shampoo frequently as this dries up the excessive oils.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Trying groomers goop or something similar might help. It's a degreaser. Keep the area shaved if possible to let the air at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Shaving the area and washing it with a mild shampoo should help. It may also be a good idea to bath the glands, and surrounding area, in some salted water twice a day (to prevent infection). If it is already infected (which I would be concerned about if there is a really dodgy smell), nothing you can do will be much help and the vet is your only option because she will need a course of antibiotics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ruben

You could also try dusting it plain baby powder. The talc will just help absorb the excess oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'm always reluctant to apply anything topical to a cat, because they wash it off. Try cornflour instead of baby powder. As others have said, wash with mild soap to strip some of the oil. Brush cornflour through when the fur is dry (it'll turn to paste and harden if you brush it through wet fur!) If it's infected, bathe in salt water and do nothing else until you can bring her to the vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

Washing is out of the question. ;D

Where does one get Goop

Advertisement