Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Debate 2011 - Is 'X' a kiss or a hug...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

x is definitely a kiss!

Anyone remember learning the alphabet with letterland? X was kissing cousins:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

jumpguy wrote: »
    Who will survive in America?

Us living as we do on the side down, and the new word to have is "revolution".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

This has to be up there among the daftest threads on boards. Its even sillier than that one the ladies lounge used to have, asking what shoulder you carried your handbag on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

This has to be up there among the daftest threads on boards. Its even sillier than that one the ladies lounge used to have, asking what shoulder you carried your handbag on.

I didn't actually make it so don't blame me.. :( It was in another thread

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I didn't actually make it so don't blame me.. :( It was in another thread

Theres no blame attached to anyone.... The fact that 3 pages of debate has not solved the question is worrying however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Theres no blame attached to anyone.... The fact that 3 pages of debate has not solved the question is worrying however.

The question was solved in the first post.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

This debate will be over when I say it over. >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Kisses are x, hugs are o. End of.

Would hate to be the person who got this wrong, Imagine the embarrassment!! :P :pac:

Would hate to be the person who got this wrong, Imagine the embarrassment!! :P :pac:

My regular addition of both to my text messages means there is no room for mistakes :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I think we should go deeper though...
    Like do people use x's? Or o's? Or both? Capitals or not? How many? When are they used? To whom?

I think we could have a hugely detailed convo on it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Kisses are x, hugs are o. End of.

Like the Biebs? Pretty sure all his texts to Selena say

'Baby, baby, baby, oooooooooooooooooooooo'

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

SarahBeep! wrote: »

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaah!!

X's are kisses, O's are hugs. Clearly. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Jackobyte wrote: »
    X is a kiss, o is a hug. Guys don't give hugs. Case closed.

You mean in text form or in real life?

'Cause I never send 'o's in texts but if I'm on a night out a lot of people get a manly (yet affectionate) man-hug from me! :pac: It's totally allowable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

deise_girl wrote: »
    Like do people use x's? Or o's? Or both? Capitals or not? How many? When are they used? To whom?

As someone who talks to other people online instead of texting, I have often found the uses of Xs in text messages to be an honestly confusing matter. If I recieve a text with three Xs in it in an "Xxx" formation at 2am in the morning from some girl I haven't talked to in months, does that mean anything, or is it just classic 2am drunk texting to ignore?

What does the amount of Xs mean? What does it mean?

Screw this, I'm going back to MSN. At least people usually make sense then

[/serious-ish post in silly thread]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Man-hugs FTW.

Never in texts though!

Skintwin wrote: »
    Saraaaaaaaaaaaaah!!

X's are kisses, O's are hugs. Clearly. :cool:

I was just reinforcing that yet another thing about Justin is wrong :P

Justin Bieber...*shudder*

deise_girl wrote: »

I think we could have a hugely detailed convo on it tbh.

I use x's at the end of texts to my friends, usually 3/4, all in lower case. I can't stand when they're in 2 different cases!:mad: I have one friend who gets something along the lines of xoxo cos that's what she sends me!:P And my boyf gets x's and o's at the end of texts *awwwww*:pac:

Man-hugs FTW.

Never in texts though!

What does FTW mean?:confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"For the win".

It's a good thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

ahh, some serious, nitty-gritty questions!!
    Colm! wrote: »
    As someone who talks to other people online instead of texting, I have often found the uses of Xs in text messages to be an honestly confusing matter. If I recieve a text with three Xs in it in an "Xxx" formation at 2am in the morning from some girl I haven't talked to in months, does that mean anything, or is it just classic 2am drunk texting to ignore?
    Its not really drunk texting if they're able to type the x's coherently without making a mistake...
    one or 2, theyre not too bothered, 3-8, they might like you, 10+, theyre into you...

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Colm! wrote: »

Screw this, I'm going back to MSN. At least people usually make sense then

[/serious-ish post in silly thread]

I don't really think it's a good idea to try and analyse peoples intentions from the amount of Xs they send. Most of my female friends send about 3-5 Xs in every message to me and to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Ugh I NEVER send xs to anybody. I hate them. Like why would you feel the need to write 'what time are you meeting us at? xxxxx'? Like WHY? There's just no need. I send xs to my mammy sometimes and that's about it. I also use them a lot in a sarcastic / ironic / whatever fashion on Facebook and to my friends. I really, really hate the way girls put them at the end of EVERYTHING.

Also x = kiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Ugh, I used to send loads of x's everywhere not so long ago because of the dramatic world of teenage girls, but about a year ago I just stopped completely and unless I'm texting a boy I don't bother, and even then it's a rare enough occurrence. No better way to feel in control than to not return x's...yes, I am a horrible person. These days I send far too many smileys though because texts/instant messages just seem too serious without them.

I hate when people leave 'xxxxxxxxxxxxx' at the end of a FB status.

'Nite nite peeps xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I hate when people leave 'xxxxxxxxxxxxx' at the end of a FB status.

'Nite nite peeps
    (more x's than sense)

I'm so tempted to ban you just for posting that.Can some please explain to me why someone needs to put that many x's on something? At least one person here does it,lookin at you young'uns ¬.¬

Although excessive smilies can be just as annoying. One of my friends doesn't use any punctuation in texts, just smiley faces so they look like this

"hey :) how are you :) havent talked to you in a while :) what you up to :) blah blah blah :)"

They hurt my eyes.

I sometimes leave x's at the end of texts, sometimes I don't. I usually leave them to the BF though cos I'm cool like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

This thread makes me yearn for days gone by...the x's will always be a part of me. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Are you arguing with WIKIPEDIA??? "Some sources discuss the possibility of "x" referring hugs and "o" referring to kisses"

I would happily argue with (change) Wikipedia because I know the end result. I would win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

one or 2, theyre not too bothered, 3-8, they might like you, 10+, theyre into you...
    :P

10? That is FAR too much effort :P
    Slow Show wrote: »
    Ugh, I used to send loads of x's everywhere not so long ago because of the dramatic world of teenage girls, but about a year ago I just stopped completely and unless I'm texting a boy I don't bother, and even then it's a rare enough occurrence. No better way to feel in control than to not return x's...yes, I am a horrible person. These days I send far too many smileys though because texts/instant messages just seem too serious without them.

I'm terrible for smileys. I live in a world of sarcasm though so I need some way to clarify that I'm not just being mean...

• Advertisement

10+ is a cyber-shift...>_>

Advertisement