Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enable Ireland door callers...

Options
  • 21-06-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

wow, I've just been amazed at the cheek of a caller to the door on behalf of Enable Ireland.
    He called at 8:45pm, the kids were just gone to bed and the guy was acting like he was trying to sell me a car. He was arrogant and cocky.
    He rattled on about what Enable Ireland did and he then would stop and ask me if I agreed that what they did was a good thing, yeah, I'm not arguing that. I felt I was in a lecture :eek:

He then proceeded to mention he'd want my bank account details but first he must check that I'm over 25 (I'm 34) and then he said the bank must be an AIB account....I was just amazed at the lad!

When I got a chance to interrupt his spiel I informed him I wasn't giving money nor my bank a/c details to him...with that he said a brief thanks & good evening.

I presume these lads work on commission. I think Enable Ireland need to assess their fund raising strategy, because if this lad keeps up his nonsense they won't raise much funds. He had an ID and looked legit in fairness, it's just his manner was terrible.

I respect charities like Enable Ireland, what they do is admirable but really, this guy was taking the p*ss!

phew, rant over.
    Has anyone else encountered this sort of thing from charitiy collectors lately?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Commission + a handsome hourly rate

They must figure the thing pays off. I don't have much respect for chugging or those charities that hire the chuggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Daegerty wrote: »
    Commission + a handsome hourly rate

They must figure the thing pays off. I don't have much respect for chugging or those charities that hire the chuggers.

Totally agree - haven't got much time for them either! The worst are the ones who accost you on the street! For instance CONCERN FFS! One day a guy hounded me on Winthrop Street - it was raining and he asked me did I want to share his umbrella!! Eh no! It was obvious what he was trying to do with the clipboard in his hand! I actually cross the street to avoid them now (which doesn't always work cos there's usually another one on the other side!):mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

the guy was acting like he was trying to sell me a car. He was arrogant and cocky.

Sounds like this is the same guy which called to us last week, after 2 sentences we politely sent him on his way :) It's not an easy job doing what they do, they must get some abuse!!

Commission + a handsome hourly rate................

Yeah? As in min wage +

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

leahyl wrote: »
    Totally agree - haven't got much time for them either! The worst are the ones who accost you on the street! For instance CONCERN FFS! One day a guy hounded me on Winthrop Street - it was raining and he asked me did I want to share his umbrella!! Eh no! It was obvious what he was trying to do with the clipboard in his hand! I actually cross the street to avoid them now (which doesn't always work cos there's usually another one on the other side!):mad:

Concern are the absolute worst for this. The chuggers are the rudest people I've ever encountered. The "CAN I TALK TO YOU FOR A SECOND" when you clearly do not want to, when you deliberately avoid eye contact and they can even see you change your pace and direction, just piss off like. There are two individuals in particular in the city centre, normally to be found either down that alley way near Scotts (with Smiths on it), or else near the Savoy. The last time I ran into them and he leaped out in front of me, I looked him square in the eyes and said "Today is not a good day." And it wasn't. I think he could see I would shove that clipboard up his pontificating ass, so he fecked off double-quick. Bloody tools. I deliberately don't contribute now to any aid agency that employs this method.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    Yeah? As in min wage +

All the ones I have seen on job sites are at least 11 per hour + commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

tommy21 wrote: »
    I deliberately don't contribute now to any aid agency that employs this method.

same for me.

I've seen an interview somewhere with one of the charities defending chugging by saying it's very effective! it's a royal pain is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Snapper

tommy21 wrote: »
    The "CAN I TALK TO YOU FOR A SECOND" when you clearly do not want to,

lol, I had that once, girl chugger went to stop me in Patricks Street saying "Can I ask you one question?" I said "You just did" and walked on........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

lol, I had that once, girl chugger went to stop me in Patricks Street saying "Can I ask you one question?" I said "You just did" and walked on........

class! Now why can't I come up with lines like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

That is one reason why I dont answer the door. My friends are the same and know to txt or call before they are coming over. If I do answer the door inadvertently I just open it a fraction and say no thanks I have my own charities that I contribute to which is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

A friend of mine traveled around Ireland in the past with a few lads on behalf of a lesser known charity selling little figurines made to pull at the heart strings

from what I was told 10% of each sale/donation goes to the actual charity, 30% to the seller
    and the remaining 60% to a man in Dublin who was responsible as the main organizer of the trips and stock they sold

A friend of mine traveled around Ireland in the past with a few lads on behalf of a lesser known charity selling little figurines made to pull at the heart strings

from what I was told 10% of each sale/donation goes to the actual charity, 30% to the seller
    and the remaining 60% to a man in Dublin who was responsible as the main organizer of the trips and stock they sold

what charity was it? Not that it matters but I'm just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

Commission only per sign up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I find head phones in, and look straight ahead avoiding eye contact does the trick. or tell them im under 18 so they cant sign me up.......awwwww shucks

booboo88 wrote: »
    I find head phones in, and look straight ahead avoiding eye contact does the trick. or tell them im under 18 so they cant sign me up.......awwwww shucks

There has to be more potential for comedy and stringing them along endlessly than just ignoring them. Get into arguments with them, say things arent so bad in Africa or wherever and record it all with a pair of discrete camera sunglasses.

Objectives are:
    *Getting them to stray from their designated chugging area
    *Holding them up as long as possible (they cant bother anyone else in this time)
    *Get money or favours out of them instead
    *Coax them into saying or doing something funny for use on youtuibe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

There has to be more potential for comedy and stringing them along endlessly than just ignoring them. Get into arguments with them, say things arent so bad in Africa or wherever and record it all with a pair of discrete camera sunglasses.

Objectives are:
    *Getting them to stray from their designated chugging area
    *Holding them up as long as possible (they cant bother anyone else in this time)
    *Get money or favours out of them instead
    *Coax them into saying or doing something funny for use on youtuibe
    this may be true, but not when your in beed of retail therapy :) you know, keeping the economy going;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

eastbono wrote: »
    That is one reason why I dont answer the door. My friends are the same and know to txt or call before they are coming over. If I do answer the door inadvertently I just open it a fraction and say no thanks I have my own charities that I contribute to which is true.

Thats daft. Its your house. Next time smear a little ketchup on your face and open the door wide with a hurley and serial killer demeanour...

"WITHDRAW!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

This reminds me of the night when my good lady answered a caller at our door. One of these beauties, a female one, gave her the bull etc., my wife being an able lady herself, kindly informed mouthy that we were already looking after 3 other chartities by direct debit.
    Your one then asked her who these chartities were, so she was told. What does she do then? Bad mouths the 3 of them, then urges my wife to cancel her direct debits to them.
    So she was then kindly instructed to make like a tree and leave.

kub wrote: »
    This reminds me of the night when my good lady answered a caller at our door. One of these beauties, a female one, gave her the bull etc., my wife being an able lady herself, kindly informed mouthy that we were already looking after 3 other chartities by direct debit.
    Your one then asked her who these chartities were, so she was told. What does she do then? Bad mouths the 3 of them, then urges my wife to cancel her direct debits to them.

holy shít, the nerve of some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

Remember the good old days when people just collected for charity not commision :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

wow, I've just been amazed at the cheek of a caller to the door on behalf of Enable Ireland.
    He called at 8:45pm, the kids were just gone to bed and the guy was acting like he was trying to sell me a car. He was arrogant and cocky.
    He rattled on about what Enable Ireland did and he then would stop and ask me if I agreed that what they did was a good thing, yeah, I'm not arguing that. I felt I was in a lecture :eek:

He then proceeded to mention he'd want my bank account details but first he must check that I'm over 25 (I'm 34) and then he said the bank must be an AIB account....I was just amazed at the lad!

When I got a chance to interrupt his spiel I informed him I wasn't giving money nor my bank a/c details to him...with that he said a brief thanks & good evening.

I presume these lads work on commission. I think Enable Ireland need to assess their fund raising strategy, because if this lad keeps up his nonsense they won't raise much funds. He had an ID and looked legit in fairness, it's just his manner was terrible.

I respect charities like Enable Ireland, what they do is admirable but really, this guy was taking the p*ss!

phew, rant over.
    Has anyone else encountered this sort of thing from charitiy collectors lately?

This is interesting. They've never once got past the "hello, can I talk...." before I stop them with a polite but firm "no, thanks".

I did wonder what they would rabbit on about if I let them. With the ones on the street, I find if you align yourself behind a passing old person as you walk past them they will always go for the soft option and target granny instead.

Malari wrote: »
    This is interesting. They've never once got past the "hello, can I talk...." before I stop them with a polite but firm "no, thanks".

I did wonder what they would rabbit on about if I let them. With the ones on the street, I find if you align yourself behind a passing old person as you walk past them they will always go for the soft option and target granny instead.

clearly I have a lot to learn :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

kub wrote: »

We experienced the same from a Trocaire collector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I have employed a number of tricks in the past. These include

1. Talking and mumbling to myself when they approach.

2. If they knock on the door, I'll open it and shout "Mammy, there us a stranger at the door!" I'm in my 30's and live by my own. The reaction is usually good...

3. I have used the following replys "Not today, love"; "Ah, not now" and my favourite "can I get your name as I want to complain about this unwarranted and rude intrusion into my time". The last one usually sends them packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I find it funny that people have to do 'tricks' or lie to these people. Just look them straight in the face and say you're not interested. I've done it for years and it never fails to work.

If you smile and make up some stupid excuse they know it and will annoy you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

At my house I usually just say "no". Whilst looking down at them.

On the street, I find "no speakee englishee" usually works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah it is a shame to hear so many of them are nasty asses. A loverly girl cant think of her name called to us and well I had no problem siging up for as tis in fairness a good charity well fingers crossed. I can understand how annoying they get though..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I had one of those Enable Ireland guys call 3 times to my door last week. I didn't bother answering him the first time bcause I can't afford to give money to something like that at the moment. He called back about 2 hours later (still didn't bother answering) and then called back a 3rd time another couple of hours later. Talk about feckin perseverance! Eventually I answered and told him no thanks.

Also, would anybody really give a complete stranger their personal bank account details?? I've lost count of the number of times that people have come up to me (especially on the South Mall for some reason) with their clipboards looking for a monthly contribution. Even though they're representing reputable charities I'd still wouldn't give them my bank details.

I reckon they'd do a hell of a lot better with a flag day every six months because while I'd be willing to throw a fiver into a charity box there's no way I'd be giving my bank details to a complete and utter stranger on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've only ever encountered these people on the streets, they're never called to my door, but I'll be on the lookout for them! Really a "no thanks" spoken loudly over their opening gambit does the job. Any other avoidance mechanisms are purely for entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I haven't had them call to my door but if I when I get stopped by them in the street I tell them Iam already signed up with them.

Advertisement