Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enable Ireland door callers...

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,902 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

One called to me last night and straight away delved into the sales pitch for about 30 seconds and when he finally came up for air I told him I already subscribe to that charity... Thank you and Goodbye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

one day a few years back, i was inside Easons buying a book. when i walked out side this girl stop me and ask me to Donate money, i told her i had none on me.

she turn and tried to look into my eason bag to see what i had got.. i asked her what the hell are you doing, she said you have money to buy a book but none too donate is it ? i almost smack her in the face the cheeky fu**er

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Cork24 wrote: »
    one day a few years back, i was inside Easons buying a book. when i walked out side this girl stop me and ask me to Donate money, i told her i had none on me.

she turn and tried to look into my eason bag to see what i had got.. i asked her what the hell are you doing, she said you have money to buy a book but none too donate is it ? i almost smack her in the face the cheeky fu**er

that is bad, some cheeky cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Which is why I would just say "no thanks". There's no come-back to that and they can't catch you out in a lie. You shouldn't feel the need to lie. It's entirely your perogative whether you give to her charity or not and none of her business if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I would have reported her to the charity in question - cheeky little bitch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

North Main Street was swarming with them today. I passed one of them (gave her the usual "I have no money" spiel), and then another one ambushes me a few steps up the street. There was yet another one of them across the road.

What annoys me about the people with the clipper-boards is that this is like a job to them. They get a percentage of whatever you agree to donate. At least the people who rattle the money boxes in your face are doing it for nothing and giving up their free time to collect for that charity, such as the SHARE people at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

At least we know one benefit of it not being Christmas all year around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

North Main Street was swarming with them today. I passed one of them (gave her the usual "I have no money" spiel), and then another one ambushes me a few steps up the street. There was yet another one of them across the road.

What annoys me about the people with the clipper-boards is that this is like a job to them. They get a percentage of whatever you agree to donate. At least the people who rattle the money boxes in your face are doing it for nothing and giving up their free time to collect for that charity, such as the SHARE people at Christmas.

Chuggers get paid a load. They make €11 an hour + commission (Concern ones do anyway). I earn €8.65 an hour so every time they ask me, I feel like telling them that if they care that much, they should donate the extra €2.35 an hour that they earn to the charity on my behalf :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wild heather

I know that I'll probably be shot down for saying this but I worked as a chugger in Edinburgh yrs ago. It is actually a really hard job to do (which is probably why they pay ok). The team manager meets his team in the morning, he is given a street location from above, lines his team up so they can see each other (puts on the pressure to reach targets) then goes to each recruiter and goes over what the person is going to say etc. My team targets were 4 subscribers a morning but then it was changed to 1 subscriber an hr. I had 5 team leaders and whilst 4 of them were ok 1 team leader was a right B******. If all his team reached their targets then he got his bonus so he'd jokingly say that he didn't care if we reached our targets or not, when it was obvious that he cared very much!!!
    There is a huge amount of brain washing; the power of positive thinking - the recruiter has the power to stop and convince a person to subscribe, if not, its the recruiter's fault for not selling the charity well enough.
    Recruiters are suppose to get trained pre recruiting for the charity they represent but this is not always the case.
    When I worked, there was a young lad was so scared of losing his job that he gave girls his mob number to get them to subscribe, even though he had a girlfriend.
    When I think back it wasn't all bad, some of the funniest things happened when I did that job. Def gave me confidence to public speak and to be able to talk to strangers very well!!!
    I lasted 1 month btw then got fired as I wasn't making enough money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

it seems to me so that overall they are shooting themselves in the foot. I for one would just say go F*** O**, especially when I discovered that the leeches were actually being paid for been a pest.

So I would expect people to wise up and then stop donating to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

It's just not a normal human interaction.

You're walking down the street practically radiating "I don't want to talk to you." Then they still act like they haven't seen that and cross the footpath to engage you like a puppy on extacy. I can't help but feel bad when I ignore them. Some part of my brain only gets that a really friendly person wanted to talk to me and I rebuffed them like a grumpy Mr Wilson.

Sometimes I just want to scream "Be a real fucking person!"

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Sometimes I just want to scream "Be a real fucking person!"

story of my life my friend, story of my life ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

wow, I've just been amazed at the cheek of a caller to the door on behalf of Enable Ireland.
    He called at 8:45pm, the kids were just gone to bed and the guy was acting like he was trying to sell me a car. He was arrogant and cocky.
    He rattled on about what Enable Ireland did and he then would stop and ask me if I agreed that what they did was a good thing, yeah, I'm not arguing that. I felt I was in a lecture :eek:

He then proceeded to mention he'd want my bank account details but first he must check that I'm over 25 (I'm 34) and then he said the bank must be an AIB account....I was just amazed at the lad!

When I got a chance to interrupt his spiel I informed him I wasn't giving money nor my bank a/c details to him...with that he said a brief thanks & good evening.

I presume these lads work on commission. I think Enable Ireland need to assess their fund raising strategy, because if this lad keeps up his nonsense they won't raise much funds. He had an ID and looked legit in fairness, it's just his manner was terrible.

I respect charities like Enable Ireland, what they do is admirable but really, this guy was taking the p*ss!

phew, rant over.
    Has anyone else encountered this sort of thing from charitiy collectors lately?

Yes. I had a caller yesterday (from another charity), she was very pleasant and would probably do very well in a sales role but knocking on my door at 8PM to ask for my bank details and a monthly commitment? No chance.

I did ask for a leaflet to read in my own time (as she clicked the top of her pen and asked for my first name), but she didn't have any, so I then asked if I could take the form and read that in my own time, she replied that would be in breach of data protection something or other.

I won't waste their time if they call again, as I won't answer the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Are you sure the Enable guy was 100% legit? Kinda surprised they're going door to door and competing against Airtricity for the most annoying doorstep callers.

As for the chuggers, try saying 'Only if you let me tell you about Jesus!!!!' excitedly with an accent when they ask to talk to you in the street - I haven't had one ever take me up on it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Cork guitarist

What about those, usually foreigners, that stand in front post offices or a busy shop? Nothing wrong with foreigners, but the way most of them of deal with people is different to the way we are used to.
    And I have stopped going to Wilton shopping centre because most times there was someone inside every door collecting for something or other, and you couldn't get in or out without being asked for money.The new Dunnes on the Bandon road used be the same, but not as bad lately.

So yesterday's Examiner reveals that several bosses of Charity organisations are coining it and topping the list with a salary of just over €150,000 per year is the head of Enable Ireland..holy fúck is all I can say.

I understand people in these positions should not work for free but c'mon now, this figure is unbelievable. The next smarmy little prick who calls to my door on behalf of this 'charity' will get some response from me :mad:

Advertisement