Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does studying a subject like Computer Science have cognitive/problem solving benefits

Options
  • 21-06-2011 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I have recently finished my first year of Computer Science, and found it very interesting. However, I find that it has had a strange effect on me – as I have not only learnt how to program, but I feel that it has also helped me in other ways, particularly when it comes to thinking and sorting problems out, whether they are to do with Computer Science, or in everyday life.

For instance, stuff that was alien to me at the start (even though it was very basic), seems like second nature to me – even algorithms seem manageable. I think I may have discovered some of the meaning behind one sorting algorithm without seeking external assistance.

But it’s not just in Computer related stuff. I find in other areas of my life, I am able to solve things a lot quicker, and make speedier judgements. Am I imaging this, or does studying something like Computer Science sharpen your brain, and confer neural benefits (perhaps in some cases never utilised before the study of something like CS) to students?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its probably taught you to be more analytical when looking at problems. To see the basic principles rather than be distracted by superficiality. Maybe someone else can explain it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Tbh, I'd say it has little to do with the actual brain* and more to do with a learned behaviour of breaking stuff down into smaller chunks to figure out a solution.

*By this I mean "Sharpening the brain" or something....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

BostonB wrote: »
    Its probably taught you to be more analytical when looking at problems. To see the basic principles rather than be distracted by superficiality. Maybe someone else can explain it better.

Yup!

Just don't start applying these useful principles to real life because people don't act as consistently or logically! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

As somebody who teaches on such courses, I would say that students who are drawn to them are in fact logical thinkers/problem solvers already, they just may not be aware of it.

Do these courses encourage more logical thinking/problem solving? Most certainly. You are not going to get the marks if you don't solve the problems. So I would argue that the likes of computer science courses actually enhance problem solving and critical thinking techniques by giving tasks/problems of increasing difficulty over the duration of the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I was at a very interesting lecture recently. In two specific years during the 1920's and 1940's, the Scottish government gave IQ tests to every single child age 11. This has allowed us to get a huge amount of data on change in brain function over time, since the same IQ tests can be administered to the same people later on in life.

They found that people with intellectually demanding jobs tended to have high IQs in old age. However, this does not prove causation. Once you account for the fact that smart youngsters tend to get those jobs in the first place, most of the significance of the statistic drops out.

Apparently keeping physically fit is one of the only things you can do to maintain good brain function. CS may have taught you to think more analytically though.

Look up the "lothian birth cohort" if you want to know more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Of course there's people who do Com Sci who are not logical thinkers, who create some horrific code and applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

For the most part, the kind of pure analytical, logical thinking that programming requires is not found in everyday life. Not mine anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Discrete maths is good to know for computing. Certain Algorithmic knowledge won't go amiss too. Everything is mostly filler.

Advertisement