Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will every SIM be a Micro SIM at some stage?

Options
  • 21-06-2011 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭

I remember the full sized SIM and thinking mobile phones would work with Eircom callcards

Will the micro SIM be standard soon? I think it would be useful for dual and triple sim phones but then those are a bit of a niche product and sure feck it the ordinary sim is grand so don't fix it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Yeah, i'd say they'll switch over or be gotten rid of altogeter. They are handy thought, since you can swictch between phones very easily and keep the one number if one phone runs out of battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Yeah, i'd say they'll switch over or be gotten rid of altogeter. They are handy thought, since you can swictch between phones very easily and keep the one number if one phone runs out of battery.

Get rid of altogether? that would be quite a step back. Would be like CDMA where the phone is almost irreversibly bound to the network. Unless they plan on having people log in to a phone network with a username and password or SSH style key file.

Thats what I was thinking too! Could easily log in just like I log into Meteor online.

It would be a step back in terms of backwards compatability, and something that works well and people are used to. However, with concept phones which are basically just flexible OLED screens, even a micro-SIM would be awkward.

http://blogs.nokia.com/nseries/2011/03/03/the-word%E2%80%99s-best-nokia-concept-phones/

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Thats what I was thinking too! Could easily log in just like I log into Meteor online.

I wouldn't say Meteor's online login is easy.

Most annoying bloody thing ever with its constant random CAPTCHA prompts, or random refusal of PINs

True, I hate that setup!

What I mean is, just a mobile number and a simple password.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Daegerty wrote: »
    Will the micro SIM be standard soon? I think it would be useful for dual and triple sim phones but then those are a bit of a niche product and sure feck it the ordinary sim is grand so don't fix it.

No. The only one using them is Apple and the only reason they are doing it is to make it harder to switch providers and phones. In fact, they were trying to get rid of SIMs completely. That's one of the reasons I would never buy an iPhone.

There is absolutely no reason to use them as the size of standard SIMs is small enough (i.e. they fit just fine in phones much smaller then today's huge touchscreen phones).

Advertisement