Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solstice Sunrise & Sunset over the Earth - 21st June 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I put together an animation of the Earth to mark the longest day of the year, (which is today, the 21st June). The sun reached its most northerly point today at 5.16pm:

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/news/midsummer-global-satellite-animation-21st-june-2011/20983.html

From today onwards, the evenings will be getting shorter and shorter until the 21st December.

That, in itself, is something to celebrate :)
    Yes well done I liked that, now roll on those dark evenings with frost and with any luck SNOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

:D With the background music to that i was expecting a few x-wings to come flying in or the planet to explode!

Different story down south here, its winter solstice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Didnt feel like the longest day at all here, already quite dark by 11pm while on Sunday it only started getting dark at 11pm.

Hopefully we still have a summer to look forward to before I have to start thinking of winter again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nice work paddy1. yourself and Fionagus come up with interesting presentations. It seems I may have been mistaken about Galway people :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

It seems I may have been mistaken about Galway people :D

:eek::eek:

164326.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Did you know that while the days now start to get shorter, sunset actually stays about the same time until about 28 June? This is because of the constantly shifting position of the ecliptic plane's position in the sky. I booted up an astronomy program and found that if I set the view on sunset for 21 June and location Dublin, the only change until 28 June was that the Sun would set a little further south (starting out just about NW on the 21st). The earlier time for sunset became more obvious after 28 June. Whether the program is deadly accurate or not, the time they show the Sun on the horizon is 9:48 p.m. each day 21 to 28 June and by 6 July it is 9:45 p.m., then it accelerates slowly to about one minute per day in mid-July. However, for sunrise, the horizon is breached at 0501 on the 21st, and loses one minute every three days until the end of June, after which that pace also picks up gradually.

What it all boils down to, is that the length of day is only two minutes less in about a week from today, and then the change starts to accelerate, gradually reaching two minutes a day by the middle of July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I was wondering that yesterday actually, was checking the sunset times at Malin Head and it stays at 22.14pm for the rest of the week while the sunrise slowly gets later. Good to get an explanation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Image from 21st June, 6pm GMT. "Tilt" at or near maximum.

164414.jpg

Credit to NERC Satellite Receiving Station, Dundee University, Scotland.
    Link: http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

:eek::eek:

164326.jpg

hahahahahaha. Funny stuff paddy1. The bit about the new roads had me in stiches :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Great info M.T. thanks.
    lol @ 'be blown of the planet' :D
    @ Harps yesterday evening was dark indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Check out the picture of our correspondent (post 72-73)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055240050&page=5

clearly a force to be reckoned with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

LOL It's always interesting to 'see' a boardsie in the flesh :p so to speak....lol

Loved the newspaper too, how did you do that???

Advertisement