Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EirPollen - a live pollen data widget for Ireland

Options
  • 21-06-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Last summer, I got really bad hayfever for the first time. I soon discovered Met Eireann's pollen service, but I always forgot to check it when I woke up in the morning... To compensate for my poor memory, I've designed a pollen data widget for Android that parses Met Eireann's website and displays the daily pollen count for my region on my Android home screen. So far, I've been finding quite useful, if a little unnecessary given the weather lately.

It's free and open source software, licensed under GPLv3. You can grab a copy of the source code at https://gitorious.org/eirpollen or, if you want to download a free copy on the market, search for EirPollen. It's my first Android app, and although I've tried to make it as bug-free as possible, I'd appreciate any feedback/criticism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 donaghhorgan

Apologies for the downtime today. Due to some inexcusable stupidly on my part, the widget can only understand double digit dates, so July 1st has it rather stumped. I'll make the necessary changes as soon as I get back from work today. Expect an update tonight-ish.

I just pushed an update to the Android Market. It should be available now. In case anyone is wondering, the widget is grey because it's tomorrow's data, not today's, so the widget *thinks* it's out of date (I might address this in the next update). Again, apologies for the mistake. Poor programming on my part, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Good man :) I've been dieing with allergies this year for the first time. Just woke there with sneezing! Will check it out tomorrow.

In case anyone is interested, I've had reports of the widget not working on Android 2.3. I've tweaked my code a bit, and it seems to be working fine now (just grab the latest update on the Android Market). If you have trouble after updating, try removing and re-adding it to your home screen.

Hi everyone,

I just pushed out an update to my EirPollen app. There aren't many major differences from the previous version, save some updated graphics and layout, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I've been getting some frustrated feedback about the infrequency of pollen data updates in-app. Just to clarify, EirPollen uses data provided by Met Éireann. When they update their website, EirPollen will update the pollen indicator on your phone; if they don't update, then EirPollen doesn't update either. Hopefully, this clears up some of the recent ambiguity.

I'd like to see more frequent pollen updates too. It's now April and the weather (with the exception of the past few days in Cork) has begun to improve, so it would be nice to see some updated data as we head into hayfever season. If you'd like the same, then I recommend contacting Met Éireann directly with your request. In any case, I appreciate all the constructive feedback (and app reviews) I've been getting!

Thanks,
    Donagh

• Advertisement
Advertisement