Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banana Bread!!

Options
  • 22-06-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I just hoovered up another scone with jam and cream from the baking I did today and it got me thinking about my other favourite-banana bread! :)

Does anybody have a good recipie for this?

Thanks! x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

You can't go to far wrong with the Hummingbird bakery one, I made it the other day and it was devoured. Here's a link to the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

dry ingredients:

10 ozs/280g self rising flour
    5 ozs/140g of brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
    4 ozs/110 g walnuts, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

wet ingredients:

3 beaten eggs
    3 bananas, mashed
    7 ozs/200g melted margarine

method

mix dry ingredients in one bowl
    mix wet ingredients in another bowl
    mix wet mixture and dry mixture together
    put into well greased loaf tin
    bake in a pre-heated oven for 1hr 10 mins( maybe check on it from the hour mark depending on your oven)

oven temperature:gas mark 4, 350of, 180oc

The walnuts give it an added extra,

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

I would second the Hummingbird recipe. I made it last week, and it was delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I make this one and it always turns out well.

Preheat oven to 180

Flour a non stick loaf tink.I think mines a 2lb loaf tin not sure it's about 8 inch long.

225g (8oz) plain flour (Sieved)
    1 heaped teasp. baking powder (Sieved)
    1 teasp. ground cinnamon (Sieved)
    110g (4oz) caster sugar
    1 egg, beaten
    75ml Sunflower oil
    Half teaspoon of vanilla essence
    50g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
    50g Dark choc chips.
    2 to 4 medium-sized ripe to very ripe bananas, mashed

If you want it extra bananaey use 4 bananas I generally use 2 to 3.

I don't messs about I just crack the egg in the bowl, sqoosh the bananas in my hands. Sieve in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Throw the rest of the ingredients in and let the stand mixer to the work until it's all well mixed and ready to pour into the loaf tin.

Takes 40 to 50 mins depending on your oven, some will take 60 mins. My fan oven usually takes 40 mins.
    Once it's risen and very brown take it out and let it cool in the tin for 10 mins then dump it out on a cooling rack. It tastes just as good if not better the next day. Cut once fully cooled although hubby likes when it's still warm it's almost puddeny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

laylah wrote: »
    I just hoovered up another scone with jam and cream from the baking I did today and it got me thinking about my other favourite-banana bread! :)

Does anybody have a good recipie for this?

Thanks! x

would you mind sharing your scone receipe with us ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

Thanks guys!

Gonna try one out today-doin 16km on the bike later so I reckon I'll deserve a slice or three!

Here's my scone receipe:

3 cups plain flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon of bread soda
    170g butter, cubed (put it in the freezer to chill)
    1/2 cup of soaked walnuts
    240ml buttermilk, chilled

A friend of mine from Kenmare puts in a cup of sliced sun dried tomatoes, some olives and a few mixed herbs-makes a really nice savoury version that goes well with tomato soup:)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

Nigel Slater's recipe is the one I use

175g flour
    175g sugar
    175g butter
    Teaspoon of baking powder
    3 large eggs
    capful of dark rum
    Bar of good dark chocolate
    some hazelnuts
    2 large bananas

Whizz the sugar, the butter, the flour and baking powder. Add the eggs one at a time and mix. Mix the bananas in. Toast the sliced hazelnuts in a pan over a low heat. Add them to the mix with the broken up chocolate. Add the rum and mix again. Pour the batter into a greased and lined baking tray and cook for 40 mins or so.

Advertisement