Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob PC Builder - €400 gaming pc

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

we i dunno if I'm selling mine yet, I might stick it up on adverts but I don't know what it is worth so I will have to look it up.

Antec NSK 4480 case
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
    Patriot 2GB PC6400
    ATI radeon HD 4870 1GB
    motherboard is nForce 650i Ultra
    PSU Corsair TX 650W (quite new)
    1 terrabyte hdd (quite new)

also have a nvidia 8800gts 320mb and 19 inch monitor I should prob sell for w/e they're worth

/anyway sorry for derailing and goodluck:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

would stay clear of the as they are completely dyer for upgrading and as you said the psu's low voltage is a major problem when it comes to upgrading the graphics, would stay clear of a 4670 and 4770 aswell as there no good for newer games now.
    the second comp seems alot better, it may only have a dual core cpu rather then a quad core but atleast it has a good graphics card that is still we capable of running new games so you wouldn't need to upgrade the graphics for another year atleat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

defo the second pc he got back to my comment and it has a 650 watt psu a decent case which looks very gamer and a good motherboard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

would stay clear of the as they are completely dyer for upgrading and as you said the psu's low voltage is a major problem when it comes to upgrading the graphics, would stay clear of a 4670 and 4770 aswell as there no good for newer games now.
    the second comp seems alot better, it may only have a dual core cpu rather then a quad core but atleast it has a good graphics card that is still we capable of running new games so you wouldn't need to upgrade the graphics for another year atleat

I had a HD4670, perfectly cromulent choice for gaming at 720p. I had a fanless one, nice and quiet. Had it in an inspiron 530 as well. Went from that to a 4870 (and new PSU) and then to a 5770. The only thing i'll say is the case isnt exactly huge, so if you have big hands it can be a bit awkward. But can fit plenty in there if you are determined. My preference would be go for the better processor, and replace the graphics card and psu if needed. What resolution will he be gaming at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I thought he'd be using a pretty decent monitor, but it looks as though it will be just a 19".

Also did a wee bit of looking around and it seems as thought the 5670 naturally enough is the new 4670 in terms of power consumption, price and performance.

Saw Komplett are doing it for €62 too, which is alright to pay for a card that would go into that Dell I linked to earlier without the need for a PSU/Case upgrade.

I think he'd be pretty happy if he got the machine for less than €280. On a 19" monitor it should give him a good few years of decent causal gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

defo the second pc he got back to my comment and it has a 650 watt psu a decent case which looks very gamer and a good motherboard

The reason I won't be recommending the second machine to my mate is because of the PSU.

It may be rated at 650watt, but I did a bit of googling and found a review on the case (which was poor) and PSU which appears to be pretty naff (review:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/atrix_500t/6.htm
    ) and certainly a liability which could lead to a lot of work later on.

Anyway, we'll see what the guy thinks and if he can get the Q6600 Dell for €210 :)

Advertisement