Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to move to Dublin

Options
  • 22-06-2011 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi guys I am a 21 year old male from wexford, unemployed, and I am just wondering what steps I could take to maybe move to Dublin. I know I need a job, but Id have to get one there but even before that lock down an apartment somwhere. I am really interested in this as I am fed up of living in wexford. I spent the last year in waterford and moved home again. I was a student there though but wouldnt be in dublin.

Im not getting social welfare at the moment, and really dont want to as it would not motivate me to look for a job Id fear . but if i had to for a time, woud it be any help to maybe getting somewhere in dublin cheaply, or would that just be a dump. I would like to live sumwhere in the city.

I do know a few people up there so I wil also seek some help from them. Just thought id ask about it on here thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

get accommodation sorted first and foremost - maybe stay with friends til you get on your feet and get a job sorted if possible.

Get a job also, you need money up here, its not cheap.

then get your own place (try www.daft.ie)

best of luck with the move, Dublin is a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

talk to friends and arrange to stay with them.
    set a time limit on how long you'll stay with them.
    meet all their friends and tell everyone you meet you're looking for a job, and a place to stay.*
    land a job, stay with friends but now pay your share of the rent.
    land a job, move into someplace yourself.

Have a plan anyway, don't be a freeloader any more than you have to be, have an exit strategy if it all goes pear shaped.

*I employed this strategy when looking for accomodation when I moved abroad, it's amazing how things get put out on the grapevine, I ended up living with a friend of a friend of a girlfriend of a guy I knew, and got a job with a friend of my brother's friend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Its extremely hard to get a job anywhere at the moment, go on benefits you'll get very little at your age anyway and be bored so you'll still be totally motivated to find work you'll just have a little something to live on in the meantime.

Dublin is great you'll love it here but it is expensive for clubbing and drink etc you'll probably only be able to afford a total dive but you're only young so its reasonable to expect that.

If you've nothing going for you in wexford and you're fed up there sure you might as well just get accomodation and move here, check out rathmines they have horrible cheap little bedsits and its a cool area walking distance from town so you'll save on taxis. Deposits are one months rent so if you get a room for 450 per month you'll needs 900 upfront just to move in. I'd recommend having a contigency of 500 euro aswell to get set up and live on so if you have say 1500 lying around go for it. 450 is the average for a bedsit near town but there is also the option of renting a room in someone elsers house this could be cheaper and nicer but less freedon and less rights if owner occupied.

Good luck

Advertisement