Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for investment opportunity

• 22-06-2011 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I just said i would post up here and see what comes of it. I have been working in London the last 6 years. I run a small pipe fitting company and have managed to put together some money. I would like to reinvest this money in something.
    I am returning home to Galway in september and am looking for some business to buy or invest in.I am open to anything and pick up anything i have tried really fast. I am educated to degree standard (never used it) and am 31 years old.
    If anyone would like submit a proposal to me I am all ears. I am ambitious and hard working and feel I can take on any types of business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 conor mc namara

I want to get a small food business up and running by early next year. I am certain it will be profitable. I've been thinking about it for years and have done a few courses to help me along the way. Because the finances are low at the moment i was thinking starting small maybe along the catering side of things and eventually moving into a retail premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭AndyJB

Afternoon,
    Try the Business Angels Network. They're linked with Enterprise Ireland and a number of Enterprise Centres around the country.

They'll have many and varied projects on their books.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 niallys

I want to get a small food business up and running by early next year. I am certain it will be profitable. I've been thinking about it for years and have done a few courses to help me along the way. Because the finances are low at the moment i was thinking starting small maybe along the catering side of things and eventually moving into a retail premises.

hi there,
    PM me with some more info

AndyJB wrote: »
    Afternoon,
    Try the Business Angels Network. They're linked with Enterprise Ireland and a number of Enterprise Centres around the country.

They'll have many and varied projects on their books.

Best of luck.

cheers, ill have a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I'm sure you will receive loads of possibilities via PM - Personally I think I have a concept/idea which could work - I cant say it will work, but if it does then it should expand quite quickly.

I'm not giving details away as I have been sitting on the idea for a number of years now and while I see similar web-businesses emerging none have the main component I consider essential, one site has a similar concept but is underdeveloped and they lack a personal angle.

I have been learning web development/programming (While working 6 or 7 days a week) in an effort to understand what is required to build the site, but learning the process is extremely lethargic, as far back as 2008 I was quoted €20K and €25K to build the entire thing from scratch, I have not sought financial assistance in the past because I want to have a complete understanding of the process and would like to be capable of fixing any problems instead of paying someone every time there is an issue and the vast majority of high level web programmers/designers do not want to enter into equity agreements for shares in something which may or may not fulfill its potential.

Anyway - I've rambled on a bit too much - OP - I hope you make the right decision on your investment and I hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I just wanted to commend the OP for having the guts to invest money back in his home land.
    Given the present circumstances this country is in his decision is great I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nom-IzZ

I have a hotdog/trailer unit for sale, its on Adverts. Small invest and good return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

How much have you got to invest and
    what rate of return are you looking for.
    ballpark?

Nom-IzZ wrote: »
    I have a hotdog/trailer unit for sale, its on Adverts. Small invest and good return

Thanks for the offer but I wouldn't think its for me

hinault wrote: »
    I just wanted to commend the OP for having the guts to invest money back in his home land.
    Given the present circumstances this country is in his decision is great I think.

My wife just got a fairly good job in galway so we decided to return home. I just need to find something that interest me now. We were fed up of London and the way of life there. We had great jobs there but in the scheme of things money isn't everything.Took me a while to realise that

• Advertisement

nino1 wrote: »
    How much have you got to invest and
    what rate of return are you looking for.
    ballpark?

I am more so looking for an investment and a job all in one. I wouldn't just invest and sit back. I have a six figure sum if needs be to invest in the right thing

Why not look at a franchise?

Or look for something that is successful/useful/obvious in London but that isn't in Galway yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I want to have a complete understanding of the process and would like to be capable of fixing any problems

a it off post but you will never be able to do that (well maybe you will but will take a long time). If you were running a haulage business would you become a mechanic so you could understand how to fix your own trucks (and fix them), then become an accountant so you file your own taxes, audit accounts, become an engineer if you need to build a warehouse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ronaldo*

You may be interested in exploring an investment club. Investment Club webinars and other investment information is available from
    http://www.fxdynamite.com/unisec1106
    I have been a member for some time and can recommend this as a great place to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sirreally

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Personally I think I have a concept/idea which could work - I cant say it will work, but if it does then it should expand quite quickly.

I'm not giving details away as I have been sitting on the idea for a number of years now and while I see similar web-businesses emerging none have the main component I consider essential, one site has a similar concept but is underdeveloped and they lack a personal angle.

If you're going to be able to do this yourself within the next 12 months, then please ignore the rest of this post. Otherwise...

...with respect, what's the point in sitting on an idea for a number of years? How long more are you planning to sit on it? If there are similar businesses emerging, then the chances are it's going to be done. If the idea is worth investing in, maybe you should be talking to investors about it right now. From what you're saying, you have the concept but lack technical expertise and money. If you can't get the technical expertise for free then you need money.

I think that most people get way too caught up in protecting their ideas, instead of taking the steps to make them actually happen. 50%-70% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 seamie11

Hi Niallys,i have a small company here,just outside Limerick,where i design,manufacture deliver and install a range of timber playground equipment,and i get a lot of calls from the Galway region,and was thinking of opening a small showarea,and try and promote my products in West of Ireland,as the customers there cant actually see the product,maybe this is something you may be interested in
    See www.adventureworldswingsets.net

seamie11 wrote: »
    Hi Niallys,i have a small company here,just outside Limerick,where i design,manufacture deliver and install a range of timber playground equipment,and i get a lot of calls from the Galway region,and was thinking of opening a small showarea,and try and promote my products in West of Ireland,as the customers there cant actually see the product,maybe this is something you may be interested in

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

seamie11 wrote: »

I have been researching my own project, but I think I came across some information regarding the CE marking of swings etc. Have you satisfied yourself that the products conform to the CE requirements etc. Have they been tested?

I am researching this myself at the moment, but its one you should be checking up on. Of course there will never be an issue until a customers children has an accident on one of your products etc. Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 seamie11

I built a really large unit a few years ago for a racecourse,nearly half ton weight when installed,monkeybars,slides,ladders etc,and i got a company over from the Uk,to have a look at it,i had to pay of course,and bar a few small measurements,it was all fine,and i got my certificate,for that particular unit,

Advertisement