Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are classical studies or history doable in a year?repeating the LC.

• 22-06-2011 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

I'm keeping english , maths , geography , business
    and dropping my other two french and engineering.

I will repeat and thinking of picking up two other subjects economics as one of them.

I was thinking classical studies I heard theres loads of books?

Or would history be easier?

Maybe if I did classical studies and maybe started reading some of the books over the summer???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CPFC IRL

Hi yeah classics is very doable in a year I picked it up at Halloween and im hoping for an A1 today but it is a very long course if your prepared to put the time in its a very interesting course and definatley my favourite subject the books such as the odyssey and alexander the great are actually great to read as there novels not school books so reading them over the summer would be a good idea

Also Classics is towards the idea of the leaving cert so you will have a nice gap to revise it ive had 6 days hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Gercakeage

I'm keeping english , maths , geography , business
    and dropping my other two french and engineering.

I will repeat and thinking of picking up two other subjects economics as one of them.

Hi, I'm don't know what college/course your hoping for but would you not be better to keep on french as a third language is a requirement for a lot of colleges and ITs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

I started my classics course 4 days ago :eek:
    So yeah, it's very doable in a year - but please don't do as I did and procrastinate until four days before the exam, it makes for quite an unnerving experience.
    I had better get back to stuffing my brain full of Alexander's dastardly exploits - au revoir!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I can keep french as a requirement , I don't need it for anywhere or my courses anyway.

If I was to do classics. What books would you suggest I start reading?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Gercakeage wrote: »
    Hi, I'm don't know what college/course your hoping for but would you not be better to keep on french as a third language is a requirement for a lot of colleges and ITs :)

If you pass french the first time round you don't need to pass it again, unless you're trying for medicine.

Is there a textbook for classical studies?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

History would be difficult to do in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

I wouldn't recommend doing history in 1 year, it's quite a long course and you have to know it reeeealy well if you want any sort of decent grade... :s

Alright I heard history was a long course so Classics would be the one that would be doable? Do you just need to read certain books for that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Peiteal

Hi, I've only just taken up Classics for LC next June. Except I'm teaching it to myself... :eek:

Here's the only text book you can get:
    http://www.eason.ie/books/9781847411853

It covers the topics: Alexander The Great, The Epics and Greek Drama.

Here's where you can find the syllabus and which books you need:
    http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=17216&page=&maincat=&ecategory=17233&link=&sectionpage=&subject=28154&language=EN

Just click on Classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

History is not doable in a year

Its firstly, a very hard and boring subject, I love history but the content on this course is as boring as watching paint dry... indefinitely. Ontop of that there is quite alot of content that you would need to do on your own which makes it difficult. id advice you to avoid history are a new subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Business is a fantastic subject to take in a year . I taught myself and got a fantastic grade in the leaving cert !

Advertisement