Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid ways you dropped your bike

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Once got off my bike with the ex still on the pillion, she couldn't reach the ground and the bike keeled over. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I forgot to put my legs down after stopping. In fairness I had only been on the thing about two minutes.

Haven't done the kickstand thing yet, nearly have but never quite let it drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Once got off my bike with the ex still on the pillion, she couldn't reach the ground and the bike keeled over. :p

How did you get off.....?..Rossi style.......:p

Was it THAT night she became your ex....?
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭rameire

first day I got the deauville.
    after a 80km ride home, drove the bike around my estate, slowly,
    came to a junction, put my right foot down and the bike went over to the left.
    cracked the bloody mushroom.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

gipi wrote: »
    Is the sidestand to the left because the brake pedal is on the right side? A rider can get on the bike, steady it with the back brake and then kick up the sidestand?

(yes, I know old British bikes had the brake and clutch pedals reversed....what side were the side stands on those?!)

Wossack, brill answer - though as a leftie, carrying the sword on my left hip is a bit of a disadvantage! :D

Been a while since we had the Matchless out, but I think it was left. It's muscle memory for me going for the stand on the left, if it was on the right I'd have another good story for this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Sids Not wrote: »
    Quick question...why are sidestands always on the left side...???

Is this not to do with the camber of the road, ie falls to the left, so more sense to put stand on that side as 90% of the time you should be facing this direction?

TheFairy wrote: »
    Is this not to do with the camber of the road, ie falls to the left, so more sense to put stand on that side as 90% of the time you should be facing this direction?

Unless you ride on the right side......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

I thought the statment re the side stand being on the left was being general about Ireland and the UK. New to biking myself so unsure if its the same in Europe etc.

TheFairy wrote: »
    I thought the statment re the side stand being on the left was being general about Ireland and the UK. New to biking myself so unsure if its the same in Europe etc.

It's a world wide standard on most motorbikes. The vast majority of the world ride on the wrong side of the road.

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's a world wide standard on most motorbikes. The vast majority of the world ride on the wrong side of the road.

Its just us poor saps that ride/drive on the "Queens" side............:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Motorcycle courier in my early twenties - at a time when the only weather protection took the form of a Barbour jacket and and council worker-style waterproof pants (that inevitably leaked at the crotch).

It was February and a bitterly cold. Most despatchers 'had punctures' that day so there was a relative killing to be made for those prepared to grin and bear it. I arrived back in town from a run and pulled up at a set of lights on Dame St. And my right leg simply refused to move - it had locked into position on the peg with the cold.

Over we went.

Imagine getting your head run over by a truck coming the opposite way.

For that.

:rolleyes:

Sids Not wrote: »
    Its just us poor saps that ride/drive on the "Queens" side............:p

The Romans drove on the left, the UK just kept it up after the Romans abandoned them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

1. Never dropped it because of the side-stand (that's where the good news stops)

2. After coming out of the front gate of the house I stop while still sitting on the seat (it was raining - I wanted to keep the seat dry - LAZY). I turned backwards to swing the gate shut. Had water-proofs on and the bike was at my knees before I realised what was happening. Tried to clench it between my legs, but with wet slippy pants, it went down. Wheelie bin help avoid any damage :D.

3. While taking off at full lock after about a foot I hit the disc lock. Went down fairly fast despite having my legs out. Just too much force.

Lesson Learned - put the lock right up to the catch point on the disc and take off slower :mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Well it must be the Thread, as I dropped the bike over the weekend.

Side-stand issue, got on the bike, forgot my gloves so I stepped off the bike to get them from the house. CRASH!! Forgotten I'd lifted up the side stand. Down goes the bike. On the plus side, the mushroom took the forces and only it is scratched:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've had two offs, the recent one was a proper dinger but the very first off I had was two weeks into my riding career. I tried to do a U-turn but ended up just shakily squirreled off too much to the left grass verge. The front wheel touched the grass for a second and the bike was panned out down a 2' ditch. Morto. I really questioned if biking was for me for ages after that.... right up until when I got the headstock bearing done and realised how f****** dangerous the bike was. I thought I was the greatest rider ever for not binning it every day when I realised it was so bad.

I keep my bikes at my parents' place and I also got a call from my dad. He said the Busa just fell over for no reason. Luckily I was nearby and shot over home to pick the bike up. He later admitted he may have bumped into it five minutes before it mysteriously fell over :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

:D Classic i would say she was well impressed with you
    I forgot to put my legs down after stopping. In fairness I had only been on the thing about two minutes.

Haven't done the kickstand thing yet, nearly have but never quite let it drop.

:D:D That reminds me of a vid i seen on youtube or somewhere of an army bloke learning to ride a bike and stopped at lights and just went over:D

I have had 2 drops so far........i say so far cos ya never know:p

1st was when I only got the bike, never been on a bike before in my life, went to the local industrial estate pottery along grand not a bother then when i went i was completing a U-turn i lost power and then my balance and over she went, dented the tank and broke the rhs indicator and also destroyed the front screen:(

2nd was very funny, i was parking the bike alongside the front window of the house as i was pushing it back i had a bit of a wobble so put my right foot down to balance myself............didn't help as the driveway slopes away slightly and i of course could not reach the ground in time, had a bit of a power struggle and then over she went. Funny part was that my mother was in the living room and all she seen was the headlight shinning on the roof of the room, when she ran out she seen me trapped under the bike:P. She asked "Can i help" to which my manleness kicked in and said no no im grand:p i then proceeded to struggle lifting up a heavy Bandit 6:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I didnt see a cattle grid on a slight bend while it was raining until it was too late. Over the bike went and i had a fun little slide :o

I think im safe from the side stand issue as i actually cant get off my bike unless the stand is down because i cant get off it while holding it up, lol

Advertisement