Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replaying Classics... Or 'Wish' You Could Replay...

Options
  • 22-06-2011 3:02am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just realised how old Icewind Dale II is - One of many games I reinstalled for Nostalgia once I got my new PC and it fills the time between other things quite nicely.

Forgot how nice the theme was so uploaded to the channel ^^

Outside of that, before I got my new comp, I decided to re-play "Zombi", "Pinball Fantasies", "Pinball Dreams" and "Alien Breed: Tower Assault" on the Amiga for a laugh, good stuff all-round.

Any of you replaying any classics at the moment? Or are there some you wish you could play again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

No matter how many of the latest PC games come out I always resort back to the arcade, 80's and 90's consoles and pump more hours into them. :pac:

PC-wise I've been playing Deus Ex again to build me up for Human Revolution. Still an awesome game, the Unreal engine and the music just add that extra charm to a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Been playing early Dooms a good bit lately, they have a certain charm about them. I often hook up my SNES or PS2 and have a bash at some old my older games, they have far more entertainment and replay value than anything modern IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

just played starwing tonight with my mate. that and mario world.. earlier was playing infamous with another mate - guess which was more fun

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

mariorpg-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I wish I could replay parasite eve 1.

I wish I could get and finish parasite eve 2 :(.

I loved pe1. One of the greatest games out there.

I had only jap version of pe2 and I could not pass the place with safe in that desert town. I just could not get info on code as it was jap! Internet was not so popular back then too.

Damn US psn store got all pe and re games, but eu stores get a finger :(.

I don't want to pay a fortune for pe and pe 2 on eBay :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Then buy a US psn card on a site like Maximus Cards or one of those cheap xbox points that are all the rage now.

I'm playing Deus Ex as well. Except this is my first time playing it. The scope of the gameplay is awesome but the voice acting ruins the experience slightly for me

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Add arcanum to my list lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I've been getting quite a few of them through gog, the likes of Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (or whatever), Fallout, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment to mention a few. The problem with these games is that they require massive time investments which I just don't have at the moment yet I so want to play them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Downloaded Star Wars Supremacy the other day. So good. Must install those card mods for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I had only jap version of pe2 and I could not pass the place with safe in that desert town. I just could not get info on code as it was jap! Internet was not so popular back then too.

The EU PSN has PE2, was snuck out in the first update after the 30-days offline fiasco. Only around €6.99 or such.

Plenty of series I want to replay. The whole MGS series when the HD collection arrives; having only played the 5th one, tempted to go through all the Heroes of Might & Magic games in the run up to the 6th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Thief I & II.

Fahrenheit.

Grim Fandango.

Ah good times, they don't make em like they uses to. Fahrenheit being an exception, that's fairly recent, but it stands out in memory big time as an exceptional game on your first playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Have to agree with you there. I loved it too. That scene in the Opera blew me away, as did the mutating dog. the hospital scenes were just eerie. I played Silent Hill after PE1 and it didn't seem as atmospheric or scary.

I would LOVE to play Sim Copter and Rise of the Triad again. Played them to death.

Actually anyone know where I can get Resident Evil 1 & 2 for PC? Would love a digital download (legit) rather than having to go to a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

RopeDrink wrote: »
    You could do what I did... Emulate the PSX version on the PC...

Only if you flash your own psone's bios and run the game from the disc, or rip your own iso, from your own disc.
    Because anything else would be illegal and can't be mentioned... :-)

I recently 'found' final fantasy vii -> ix, resi 1-3, oddworld, and crash bandicoot, nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Damn I completely forgot about PE2. I freakin' loved that game. I've yet to play the first one so I'll have to do that during summer, I'll see it i can emulate it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got a heap of games from Gog to play. Have no time to play them though, writing up a phd thesis does that, but can't wait to get stuck into them. One of my secret shames is never finishing Deus Ex so will have to get back into that. Also played Thief recently and found it to be one of the best games ever made so looking forward to Thief 2.

Currently playing when I have time the rerelease of Ys 1 and 2 on PSP and discovered that it's one of the best action RPG series ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'd love to play through LBA again

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also played Thief recently and found it to be one of the best games ever made so looking forward to Thief 2.

did you ever play thief 3?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

did you ever play thief 3?

I got it along with Thief 1 and 2. I heard it's good but a massive step backwards from the first two games. Smaller more linear levels seems like sacrilege.

Abad case of consolitis is how it's been descirbed.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I got it along with Thief 1 and 2. I heard it's good but a massive step backwards from the first two games. Smaller more linear levels seems like sacrilege.

Abad case of consolitis is how it's been descirbed.

it has one of the best levels ever in it though - The Cradle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Best level ever.

Its so friggin good...Best part of the game, and all that saved the game really from being average.

And ya, the game suffered badly from consolitis, such a shame, as I & II are the best games I ever played.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Was playing the sega megadrive collection All day yesterday, never seizes to amazes me how much fun streets of rage ,golden axe,sonic and alien storm still is to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I just played that at the weekend in the dark (not being brave, just too lazy to change the blown bulb). I only bought it because it was on sale on Steam last week. Well worth it's €3.75. Those kids freaked me out.

Thief 1 and 2 look awful but they make up for it in atmosphere. Also the game isn't a first person shooter. If you play it like one you aren't going to have fun. You have to take it really slow and be very patient and if you can't take sitting in the shadows for a few minutes learning gaurd patrols off and examining the ground before you step on it to gauge how much noise you make then you won't get along well with it. It's also very non linear so it's easy to get lost in levels. It does have some of the best level design I've ever encountered in a game. I admit that it took me most of the first level (levels usually last upwards of an hour!) to realise what the game expected of me and to start enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

That's one I wish I played fullstop! I remember being really hyped for it when it was coming out. Constantly sketching pics from it, and gerally just feeling the buzz towards it. But for some reason (and this many years later, I've no idea what that reason was) I never got to play it :(

Final Doom is one I'd love to play again. If I ruled the world, that one would be released on XBLA. Also the original Twisted Metal high is on my wishlist, besause as a dumb-sh1t teen, I sold it. On of my more idiotic mistakes.

For some reason I'd love to play through True Crime: Streets Of LA, and Total Overdose again. Niether of them were fantastic games, but I got a lot of fun outta them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Playing Baldurs gate 2 at the moment, never get bored of it

Also I wish I had Dino Crysis 1 to give another go

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thief series is brilliant! can't wait for the next gen version.

LBA was epic, totally forgot about that game!

Wouldn't mind playing Little Computer People again (my 1st memory of gaming). Type a command for the little man to do something. I made him keep eating dogfood till he got sick and wanted to go to bed. Then I made him walk up and down the stairs til he got so tired he fell down the stairs, classic stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I'd like to have another crack at Tombi for the ps1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Alundra for the PS1, loved that game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alundra

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Gandalph wrote: »

Also I wish I had Dino Crysis 1 to give another go

I hated the first Dino Crisis, but I remember renting the sequel and loving it. I'd love to play through that one again.

*Adds to wish-list*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dino Crisis 1 was awesome, dino crisis 2 and 3.... shame...

Advertisement