Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodder Fishing

Options
  • 22-06-2011 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭

Looking to do some feeder or float fishing on the Dodder.

Has anyone any recommendations on the best places to go in thr Rathfarnham/Churchtown area?

Alot of the water I have seen along Dodder Park Rd seems wayyy too shallow apart from just after the waterfall.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You won't get much advice about fishing feeder for trout.
    It is frowned on as a way of damaging immature fish.

Take a read through the existing threads already here about the Dodder and you will see what are the commonly used angling methods, and how/where they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's against club rules to ground bait which would rule out feeder fishing. Aslo most of the trout will be in the shallow sections, try trotting a worm down on a float but please use barbless hook alot of the fish a small. Most catch and release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Okay thanks for the advice guys.

I was told by someone in the angling club that all legal methods of fishing were accepted on the Dodder.

I catch and release only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I was told by someone in the angling club that all legal methods of fishing were accepted on the Dodder.

if u want u could do my very productive method of go down to shallow water were u will find minnow use a size 18 hook and one maggot ( dont use the maggots for fishing for trout its illegal) or u can use small bread bits for them and use the minnow as bait like jerk them after casting them always cast upstream and slowly jerk them back have one hook size 14 in lip an smallest treble hook in tail its produced serious fish for me gud luck let me kno how u do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

if u want u could do my very productive method of go down to shallow water were u will find minnow use a size 18 hook and one maggot ( dont use the maggots for fishing for trout its illegal) or u can use small bread bits for them and use the minnow as bait like jerk them after casting them always cast upstream and slowly jerk them back have one hook size 14 in lip an smallest treble hook in tail its produced serious fish for me gud luck let me kno how u do

Live Baiting is Illegal, you would have to kill the fish first

21/25

• Advertisement

uch wrote: »
    Live Baiting is Illegal, you would have to kill the fish first
    well thats what i do. wen jerking baits its not as gud if the bait is alive it gets better movement wen its dead which seems strange but its true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Is using maggots for trout illegal everywhere or just on the dodder?

It's frowned upon everywhere. It is a coarse fishing bait, not a trout method.
    Anywhere that is properly managed will have rules to protect the young trout, which is the reason for a maggot ban in game fish waters. So you can count on it being specifically banned in most club or fishery board waters.
    In less well managed waters there may not actually be a specific rule or law in place, but the trout stocks will be reduced as a result of mortality amongst deep hooked fingerling trout.
    The reason is that the little ones inhale it and gobble it down. Mouth hooking can not be counted on, which necessitates handling and dehooking stress on the little trout. Putting them back bleeding is an unsavoury angling experience. The throw it in a plastic bag guys don't care much about young fish and often drift into doing it.
    It's better to focus on ways to target the largest fish, rather than the immature ones. That will (for trout) be fly, spinner, and if bait fishing, minnow, worm.

coolwings wrote: »
    It's frowned upon everywhere. It is a coarse fishing bait, not a trout method.
    Anywhere that is properly managed will have rules to protect the young trout, which is the reason for a maggot ban in game fish waters. So you can count on it being specifically banned in most club or fishery board waters.
    In less well managed waters there may not actually be a specific rule or law in place, but the trout stocks will be reduced as a result of mortality amongst deep hooked fingerling trout.
    The reason is that the little ones inhale it and gobble it down. Mouth hooking can not be counted on, which necessitates handling and dehooking stress on the little trout. Putting them back bleeding is an unsavoury angling experience. The throw it in a plastic bag guys don't care much about young fish and often drift into doing it.
    It's better to focus on ways to target the largest fish, rather than the immature ones. That will (for trout) be fly, spinner, and if bait fishing, minnow, worm.

I really wouldn't have known that , excellent reply and info coolwings thanks..I'll stick to worms if I can get any or small spinners.. Can you buy minnows to use or do you have to catch them??

I really wouldn't have known that , excellent reply and info coolwings thanks..I'll stick to worms if I can get any or small spinners.. Can you buy minnows to use or do you have to catch them??
    very few shops sell them and even then their crap cuz they fall apart go down to river wi some red maggots and use just one on a single size 18 wi some split shots and look for calm water to see them jump then cast t them its like mackeral fishing u wait ten seconds and gently strike it u will have one get about 15 for evening fishin man and ur sorted i always catch at least 6 or 7 trout not always big but lovely to catch original wild brownies:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Im not very familiar with the geography of the dodder and surroudning areas. I know ive fished up by dodder and bushy park. Thats it tho. What part of the river is it where the big bull statue is?

The Dropping Well, Milltown.

very few shops sell them and even then their crap cuz they fall apart go down to river wi some red maggots and use just one on a single size 18 wi some split shots and look for calm water to see them jump then cast t them its like mackeral fishing u wait ten seconds and gently strike it u will have one get about 15 for evening fishin man and ur sorted i always catch at least 6 or 7 trout not always big but lovely to catch original wild brownies:D

Except you are river fishing here, and trout are not in numerous shoals in a stream, as mackerel are in the sea.
    Hey you know a net is even quicker than the maggots! How about poison ... you could get em all .....
    That's why the rules are made.
    The idea of angling is self imposed limits which require skill to overcome. Otherwise we wouldn't use rods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Hey you know a net is even quicker than the maggots! How about poison ... you could get em all .....

true.....some people have eyes but just can not see...just kill them all, dont worry about anyone else, the future me arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

dude buy a fly rod set up, believe me u will not regret it. fishing with maggots for wild brown trout does these precious, beautiful fish no good.

Hang on here a minute...in a previous post you stated you do not fish for trout using maggots because its illegal, yet here you are advising others to do as much as well as giving tips on how best to do such :rolleyes: Fishing for trout with maggots is wrong for the previous oft said reasons by coolwings. If you love and care for the wellbeing of these fish, you must refrain from doing such. Also spinners do nasty damage to trout, particularly the younger ones. If you must use spinners for trout, I would urge you to use single barbless hooks i.e. flatten them barbs and snip of hooks on trebles.

surripere wrote: »
    Hang on here a minute...in a previous post you stated you do not fish for trout using maggots because its illegal, yet here you are advising others to do as much as well as giving tips on how best to do such :rolleyes: Fishing for trout with maggots is wrong for the previous oft said reasons by coolwings. If you love and care for the wellbeing of these fish, you must refrain from doing such. Also spinners do nasty damage to trout, particularly the younger ones. If you must use spinners for trout, I would urge you to use single barbless hooks i.e. flatten them barbs and snip of hooks on trebles.
    He was talking about catching minnow with a maggot and using the minnow as dead bait.

For the record, you aren't alowed to ground bait on the dodder that basically mean throwing maggots in to attract fish but you can use maggots as hook bait and if you use a float or a bite indicator or just hold the line feeling for bites and strike then you should not deep hook the fish and harm them un hooking.

Yes Fly fishing is best but it's not for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

How can you fish for minnow with maggot and not catch trout?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Could use a minnow trap.
    18194d1209606744-minnow-trap-home-made-1.jpg

Because you don't just throw it out there and let it sit waiting for any fish to bite you find some minnows and strike when you see that one has taken it.

• Advertisement

If fishing for minnows, nothing beats 1-2 segments of a small redworm, pinched off for use. Three - four redworms is adequate for a minnow session.
    It's more effective than maggots, which are too large for average size minnows, possibly due to the juices, but they can get it into their mouths easier.

surripere wrote: »
    dude buy a fly rod set up, believe me u will not regret it. fishing with maggots for wild brown trout does these precious, beautiful fish no good.

yeah i think i will eventually..might need some lessons..im not going to use maggots for trout..i have been educated;)..would still like to try with a worm(barbless hooks only)
    what would i be looking at for a beginners set up surripere?

Except you are river fishing here, and trout are not in numerous shoals in a stream, as mackerel are in the sea.
    That's why the rules are made.
    The idea of angling is self imposed limits which require skill to overcome. Otherwise we wouldn't use rods.
    are u retarded have a look at the texts that ive been writing he was asking about using minnow and i was explainin how to catch minnow with a single 18 hook and single red maggot and then using the minnow to catch the trout seriously mate you would wanna read wat we're talkin about before bitching like a schoolgirl next time stay out of the convo if you dont know how to read that goes for the little girl that commented after you!!!!! oh an the minnow are used dead before u start bitching about live baiting!!! w**ker

cuz minnow will stay well away from trout so you need to lookin for minnow jumpin for tiny midges on the water and you will hit a big shoal of them use one maggot trust me you wont get a trout near it and the minnow will let you kno if there is any trout away cuz they will scamper off if trout comes close

are u retarded have a look at the texts that ive been writing he was asking about using minnow and i was explainin how to catch minnow with a single 18 hook and single red maggot and then using the minnow to catch the trout seriously mate you would wanna read wat we're talkin about before bitching like a schoolgirl next time stay out of the convo if you dont know how to read that goes for the little girl that commented after you!!!!! oh an the minnow are used dead before u start bitching about live baiting!!! w**ker

I did read your posts. You were unclear in that post. You did give the impression that you meant fishing maggots for wild trout.
    On re-reading your posts, it is obvious only from reading chiefwiggum's and your post that you meant fishing for trout with minnow, the minnow being caught with maggots.
    I was not the only reader who took your post in that way. Mistakes happen, that's life. Apologies for being sharpish.
    are u retarded .... before bitching like a schoolgirl .... if you dont know how to read that goes for the little girl that commented after you!!!!!..... w**ker
    Your other classy words are not really open to be misinterpreted by anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

I dont know why anybody would want to post to help or give advice to anyone who puts up juvenile stuff like this.
    This sort of post degrades this forum and makes it look like the joke that it has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

I dont know why anybody would want to post to help or give advice to anyone who puts up juvenile stuff like this.
    This sort of post degrades this forum and makes it look like the joke that it has become.

totally agree. this sort of rubbish keeps me from posting anything in this forum

He was talking about catching minnow with a maggot and using the minnow as dead bait.

For the record, you aren't alowed to ground bait on the dodder that basically mean throwing maggots in to attract fish but you can use maggots as hook bait and if you use a float or a bite indicator or just hold the line feeling for bites and strike then you should not deep hook the fish and harm them un hooking.

Yes Fly fishing is best but it's not for everybody.
    Oops that he was, my apologies...though in my defence the way it was put lends to easy misinterpretation. Tis true that by employing this method and technique you will have less cases of deep hooked fish. Unfortunately very few practice such. I always look to promote fly fishing for trout and discourage bait fishing, as I believe fly fishing is the most effective, enjoyable and least harmful way to catch trout. I also understand it is not for everyone (juniors, disadvantaged ppl etc.) due to the relative high cost of the gear required. But i have found this be not the main reason why ppl don't take fly fishing up, i believe it is more down to ignorance and misunderstanding of the sport than anything else; hence my ongoing promotion of fly fishing for trout.

yeah i think i will eventually..might need some lessons..im not going to use maggots for trout..i have been educated;)..would still like to try with a worm(barbless hooks only)
    what would i be looking at for a beginners set up surripere?
    You should do, its great fun and truly the most effective way to catch em. I had always bait fished for trout before I was introduced to fly fishing. I'm now sorry to say I knocked no end of trout over the head for the pan and damaged lots of fingerlings due to deep hooking when I was a younger. I knew know better, just plain ignorant, which is no sin. Also I held the common believe that fly fishing was uber difficult, as well as instinctively associating it with snobbery. So coarse fishing was more my thing. Wow are my eyes open now. I just wish I had dicovered the joys of fly fishing earlier, if I had someone then to teach me no doubt things would have been alot different. I'd suggest you kit yourself out with a budget set up to start with, give it a whirl and see if its for you. Talk to the ppl in anglers world and other adjacent shop about whats required to get started or just ask us lot here ;).

• Advertisement

i apologise for my use of words but when you have 3 blokes giving out to you over doing nothing wrong at all it gets to me. i use minnow on the dodder every time i fish it as it is the most effective way of fishing i fly fish the river but i may only get 2 trout were as one night while using minnow i caught 21 trout not all monsters but all caught from firhouse to spawell bridge and all trout were returned un harmed and in good condition

Advertisement