Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dbs evening diploma business studies

Options
  • 22-06-2011 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,
    Looking to do this course in dbs starting september, one year evening diploma in business studies. Has any done the course? Has anyone experience with dbs? Am I just wasting my money? (cost is 1990) Will the diploma be worth the paper its written on? The course is accredited by the icm in the uk.Please someone reply help, see similar posts but with no repley, all responses are really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Can't speak with experience of this course but DBS as an organization will completely wreck your head. I'm heading into my last year of a 4 year degree there and by the end of first year had realised that student welfare is so far down the list that it's not actually on the paper but is on a piece of toilet paper that was left laying round the desk! So if you decide to go for the course, the facilities will be good and academically the course will probably be good but the administration will mess you around in ways you could not imagine and from talking to other students on other courses it seems to be an across the board thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I did the evenng diploma in event management and PR. Yeah it looks good on the CV but I found it pretty useless to be honest. Accedemically I don't think it holds any real value. And by the end of the course I didn't feel like I knew anywhere near enough to work in the area (it's only about 10 weeks after all!). I'd really only suggest it if you've the money to spare and are interested in finding out about the area of study to see if you want to pursue it futher.
    They do a big graduation presntation for all the evening diplomas and you get to wear the cap and so on but I got the feeling that was all to make it all seem more impressive.
    A lot of the people in my course already worked in the area and were doing the course (paid for by their employers) so that they could have something on paper.
    All in all, I felt like I was paying for my diploma. No one failed the final projects (and there were people who only turned up to a handful of classes) and the general talk around the classes was that no one really fails because of what we pay (though that was just rumour, no proof to it).

Again this is just me so I don't want to slam the college, maybe someone had a better experience in the business studies side? Maybe post in the DBS forum?

Advertisement