Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games to play and tricks for dogs!?

• 22-06-2011 9:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭

They say tricks and making them think games tire a dog five times more than a walk!! With this in mind, and now that it's like a
    Monsoon every night, what games and tricks do people reach their dogs!?
    Mine loves search for things in the house, hide the treats, which hand is sthing in, and fetch/ball/ toy... I also do heel, sit stay, wait and combination of these commands training in the house, but then my imagination stops!!!
    Can anyone help with one person games or tricks to play/ teach INDOORS with a big full of fun dog!!!
    ( we do activity training but my place won't allow me to set up indoor jumps and I don't want my couch wrecked!)
    Can anyone help please!!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

mine does roll over, roll back, high-five, waves his paw (on command), when I "shoot" him he falls over "dead", opens doors and closes them again and we're working on "singing" plus all of the usual obedience ones (sit, wait, down, etc).

Biggest drawback? Now he can open doors, climb up and sit on the windowledge with his nose pressed to the glass (like a big cat) and wave at his friends passing by. Cute and funny but not when you've to keep cleaning the windows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

We play "hide and seek" with our dog (sad, I know!).

There's about 4 or 5 good hiding places that she knows of and checks them all til she finds us, and then cue loads of cheering from us and tail wagging and jumping from her.

It's getting harder to hide though, she barely uses scent any more, just checks the usual spots (under the stairs, behind curtains, behind doors) we need a bigger house!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

We play "hide and seek" with our dog (sad, I know!).

There's about 4 or 5 good hiding places that she knows of and checks them all til she finds us, and then cue loads of cheering from us and tail wagging and jumping from her.

It's getting harder to hide though, she barely uses scent any more, just checks the usual spots (under the stairs, behind curtains, behind doors) we need a bigger house!

Ha ha we play that too here, only just started so she's still getting used to the whole idea but I can see us running out of ideas very quickly for places to hide!! It's great for teaching her recall too, we just shout 'Juno Come!' and she comes looking, two tricks in one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Thats just brilliant Mr Windowcleaner!!!! How do you teach a dog to wave!!! Amazing stuff...& love the hide & seek...
    Its like that scene in jaws moment; I think I'm going to need a bigger home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

We play 'find it' in the house I have an old sock and I put a treat in it and put him in a room then hide the sock let him out and ask him to find it! We have small house too so easier to find good places to hide sock than to hide me! He loves it and when he finds the place where the sock is he has to sit while I take the treat out! Big lad loves it but little girly not interested she far to clever than to bother herself with 'silly' games!!! She prefers to chill out on the couch and watch her programmes her fav is meercats at the min she will sit and watch it all evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Thats just brilliant Mr Windowcleaner!!!! How do you teach a dog to wave!!! Amazing stuff...& love the hide & seek...
    Its like that scene in jaws moment; I think I'm going to need a bigger home!

Just worked on something he does instinctively; when I raised my arm horizontally he raised his paw (he's a border collie - seen a few of them doing this, kinda like they're copying you or something) so I labelled the action with the command "wave" and now if you ask him to give you a wave that's exactly what he does.

All this from a dog rescued from the pound a year and a half ago; he's absolutely fab and I wouldn't swop him for the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

My puppies newest thing is 'dancing', he'll stand up on his back paws and twirl around in circles.. I honestly believe he likes listening to music, only certain types though.. The Beatles seem to be his favourite although that could be because I sing along and make a fool of myself in front of him :) He also does 'kisses'. He does all the basics too, sit, stay, lie-down, roll-over, paw. I'm working on 'fetch' at the moment but it only works when he's in the mood, he's more of a 'tug of war' type pup.. except when he's around kids, he turns into a teddy bear then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I was watching someone train their dog the other day & they had it heeled right up beside their leg ans it walked backwards in pace with them!!!! Amazing; they were basically doing dressage for dogs!! Now that's something for the long dark nights in the living room!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

my dog plays hide and seek - he steals and hides things, and I seek:mad:
    Maybe counter surfing uses up 5 times the energy too???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Any ideas of best treats for training for my my pup i plan on crate training as soon as i get her next week and then doing further training basics , is their a certain age to when they can be trained or can i start straight away :confused:;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement