Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda BROS 400 restriction?

• 22-06-2011 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

Rang Quinn about 2mins ago looking to get insured on my BROS 400. They won't insure me until I can show them a restriction cert. Surely they should know it's learner legal? Anyway I don't have the log book lying around and I'm itching to get it on the road. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

there is always a struggle with bros 400's, you could get it dyno'd becuase some of them started life wiht 37 bhp, but after 15 - 20 years it should be down to below 33, the dyno will prove that and as long as it has the frame and engine number matching your log book quinn should take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

A BROS is not learner legal without restriction. Remember that in any grey area, the insurnace company wont pay out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

the bros 400 was 37hp or 39hp when it rolled off the production line first. So it was never learner legal. As they are mostly >20 years old now they might have lost a few hp's over the years, but technically they are not learner legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

MargeS wrote: »
    the bros 400 was 37hp or 39hp when it rolled off the production line first. So it was never learner legal. As they are mostly >20 years old now they might have lost a few hp's over the years, but technically they are not learner legal.

As a matter of interest is the power for the licence measured at the crank or wheel? 37bhp at the crank, which is manufactures power, will be well below 33bhp at the wheel.

S.I. No. 537/2006 — Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) Regulations 2006
    Motorcycle engine size restriction.

14. (1) Subject to paragraph (2), a person granted a provisional licence for the first time on or after 15 November 1999 to drive vehicles in category A, is, during the validity of all provisional licences granted to him or her and subsequently until a period of having held a driving licence in the category for 2 years, restricted to driving only those vehicles in that category which have a power output not exceeding 25 kW or a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg, or in the case of vehicles in the said category with sidecars, with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to a person granted a provisional licence for the first time to drive vehicles in category A in the period commencing 15 November 1999 and ending on 17 December 1999 where the person either -

(a) during that period held a driving licence in respect of vehicles in category A1 and held such a driving licence for a period of at least 2 years during the period of 10 years preceding the commencement day of the licence, or

(b) was, on the commencement day, 25 years of age or over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

The Honda Bros should be learner legal, if you follow these specs:

From http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/Honda-Bros-NT400-1988-1992/

31 BHP (22.8 KW), 181 kg, which is 0.125 kw per kg. (both total HP and power/weight ratio is legal)

From http://www.nibiker.co.uk/reviews/bikes/bros/index.html

33 BHP (24.27 KW), 164 kg, which is 0.134 kw per kg. (both total HP and power/weight ratio is legal)

88-90 http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_nt400_bros%2089.htm :
    Max Power 27.2kW 37 PS @ 8500 rpm
    Dry-Weight 164 kg

91-93 http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_nt400_bros%2092.htm :
    Max Power 27.2kW 37 PS @ 8500 rpm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

they made me show the restrictor cert for my hornet 250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

It's the same story with Superfours. My CB is 18 years old and there's no way it has the same bhp as it did when it first rolled off the production line in 1993 but insurance companies don't care about that kind of detail and will insist on either a restriction cert or a dyno cert (I know Quinn accept a dyno cert). If there is any grey area at all they want to have themselves covered, especially with the Financial Regulator breathing down everyones necks (especially in the case of Quinn).

FatherLen wrote: »
    they made me show the restrictor cert for my hornet 250

If it's under the bhp limit and power to weight ratio it's learner legal by law, so you should be able to show the papers displaying these numbers, and that should be it.

It's the same story with Superfours. My CB is 18 years old and there's no way it has the same bhp as it did when it first rolled off the production line in 1993 but insurance companies don't care about that kind of detail and will insist on either a restriction cert or a dyno cert (I know Quinn accept a dyno cert). If there is any grey area at all they want to have themselves covered, especially with the Financial Regulator breathing down everyones necks (especially in the case of Quinn).

Well they go by the manufacturer's specs, unless you've got a dyno cert saying it's got less bhp than what the papers say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

flyton5 wrote: »
    Rang Quinn about 2mins ago looking to get insured on my BROS 400. They won't insure me until I can show them a restriction cert. Surely they should know it's learner legal? Anyway I don't have the log book lying around and I'm itching to get it on the road. Any suggestions?

Is it possible to get insurance online with Quinn and send them the cert within a set amount of time? I need to collect a bike I just bought, on the other side of the country, and bring it to Dublin to get the restrictor installed.

• Advertisement

It is possible. You can get insurance online through Quinn and you will be insured by the end of your transaction. They will send you out your documents by post and then a week or two after that you'll get a letter looking for a restriction cert.

when i was getting insured on my cbr600f i had to fight to get the quote at all without the restriction but they absolutely wouldn't start the insurance until a few hours after i sent the cert in so they could verify it and file it with my policy on there system... was a pain in the ass. you might be best off renting a van or asking for a favour off someone you know with a van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    when i was getting insured on my cbr600f i had to fight to get the quote at all without the restriction but they absolutely wouldn't start the insurance until a few hours after i sent the cert in so they could verify it and file it with my policy on there system... was a pain in the ass. you might be best off renting a van or asking for a favour off someone you know with a van.

Did you get your insurance with Quinn? Was it over the phone or online? The online quote looks like you can be insured by the time you pay. I've done it before, although, that was on a car and not a motorbike needing restricting.

dceire wrote: »
    Did you get your insurance with Quinn? Was it over the phone or online? The online quote looks like you can be insured by the time you pay. I've done it before, although, that was on a car and not a motorbike needing restricting.

Just going by my own experience when i insured my Superfour. I went online on a friday evening and by 10 past 5 i had it insured without providing them with any documentation.

i was dealing with them on the phone because i was changing bikes.

the first time insured a restricted bike feb this year i got covered without sending in a cert i got 4 days before i started getting snotty and threatening phone calls about my policy being void and it'l be cancelled because i hadn't provided any documentation.

with the 600 in june/july i could barely get a quote for the change over from them without a cert.

even if the online system provides you insurance you wont be covered unless the bike is restricted so it'll be a gamble either way.. but i guess paying the insurance and having a slip of paper might help if you just get pulled over. in the case of an accident your just not covered at all if it's found that the bike is not restricted.

Is it possible to get insurance online with Quinn and send them the cert within a set amount of time? I need to collect a bike I just bought, on the other side of the country, and bring it to Dublin to get the restrictor installed.

If something happens there will be trouble. All you'll have is Garda insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

question:
    I just like to check
    > with Quinn if  bike is learner legal and can be driven on learners
    > permit without restriction according to your system.
    >
    > Bike in question is 1988-90 honda bros  model NC25 and comes up on
    > your website as bros (grey) roadster 398cc but doesn't say if I need
    > restrictor or not which is extra money that i could spend on safety
    > gear.
    >
    > thank you in advance
    >
    > rgds,
    > Kris
    >

quinn.png

original mail available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alfonsopeeters

i had exactly this expierience with quinn when insuring my honda bros 400

i got a quote of them by phone bout 2 days before i went too look at the bike and they gave me it no worries.

so i ended up at the dealer bought the bike and rang them to insure it...
    now the girl took all my details and then said we need a restriction cert! i said uh the bike doesnt need a restrictor.

she said it legally needs a restrictor if its over 250cc
    (which is bulksh*t cuz an inline four 250cc is over the power output and by her reasoning doesnt need a cert)

i continued arguiing with her for about 10 minutes saying i couldnt get a restriction cert cuz the bike doesnt need it to which the dealer (god bless him) said give me the phone...

he f'ed and blinded ur one out of it saying im trying to run a bussiness here and im insured with ye and are ye trying to put me outa bussiness etc...

he disappeared around the corner using fairly strong language... appeared back 5 min later with my phone saying " she wants to talk to ya...."

she kindly informed me that her supperior has approved the bike as learner legal and i woz insured...

so in other words... if they give ya any lip.... tell her/him you wanna talk to her/his supperior straight away...the call center phone operators havent a clue.

hope that helps:D

i had exactly this expierience with quinn when insuring my honda bros 400

i got a quote of them by phone bout 2 days before i went too look at the bike and they gave me it no worries.

so i ended up at the dealer bought the bike and rang them to insure it...
    now the girl took all my details and then said we need a restriction cert! i said uh the bike doesnt need a restrictor.

she said it legally needs a restrictor if its over 250cc
    (which is bulksh*t cuz an inline four 250cc is over the power output and by her reasoning doesnt need a cert)

i continued arguiing with her for about 10 minutes saying i couldnt get a restriction cert cuz the bike doesnt need it to which the dealer (god bless him) said give me the phone...

he f'ed and blinded ur one out of it saying im trying to run a bussiness here and im insured with ye and are ye trying to put me outa bussiness etc...

he disappeared around the corner using fairly strong language... appeared back 5 min later with my phone saying " she wants to talk to ya...."

she kindly informed me that her supperior has approved the bike as learner legal and i woz insured...

so in other words... if they give ya any lip.... tell her/him you wanna talk to her/his supperior straight away...the call center phone operators havent a clue.

hope that helps:D

Haha, fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

I just paid to get it restricted in the end. Did my test on it last September and wrote it off(along with my knee)last November when an elderly gentleman pulled out in front of me and sent me over his bonnet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 gone_fishing

I was insured on a cb350sg under my friends policy both oif us on learners, when he got his full licence he sold it to me and again quinn insured me on it, six months later they asked for restriction certs after insuring me on it for a year and a half, quinn are knackers when it comes to insurance. I eventually got onto the head of the motorcycle department who then agreed the bike was 33bhp as standard and left me alone. sold the bike and 15 minutes later the guy i sold it to was being refused the same insurance without restriction certs so had to go throught the same crap again with them. Quinn will not insure you on the road until they see a cert regardless of wether they are wrong or not. My advice , get your full asap and change to adelaide insurance they dont care about certs they dont even ask if the bike is restricted. went from the cb350 straight onto the gsxr750 no restriction and gave quinn the finger

adelaide insurance they dont care about certs they dont even ask if the bike is restricted. went from the cb350 straight onto the gsxr750 no restriction and gave quinn the finger

They don't care till you need them.

Advertisement