Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21 week public scan with Holles St

Options
  • 22-06-2011 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I had my 21 week public scan with Holles Street and the sonographer did a quick check of the measurements like the head but didn't really check the length of the arms or legs or anything else just pointed them out to us. Are they not meant to do a more thorough scan like an anomaly scan to make sure everything is ok, she did say everything did seem fine but this was our first scan with the hospital and I thought it would have been a bit longer then 10 mins. Do we get another scan when I am over 30 weeks as I did ask her about it and she said no thats it!! ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No more scans unless there are complications... maybe she did do the measurements she just didn't show you... have a look at your chart the next time you're in and you should be able to see all the measurements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Avril123 wrote: »
    I had my 21 week public scan with Holles Street and the sonographer did a quick check of the measurements like the head but didn't really check the length of the arms or legs or anything else just pointed them out to us. Are they not meant to do a more thorough scan like an anomaly scan to make sure everything is ok, she did say everything did seem fine but this was our first scan with the hospital and I thought it would have been a bit longer then 10 mins. Do we get another scan when I am over 30 weeks as I did ask her about it and she said no thats it!! ??

Where did you get it done? In the outpatients part or in Fetal Assessment? If it was up in Fetal Assessment, (on the second floor) then that was your anomaly scan. She should have printed out a load of photos and given you one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

Where did you get it done? In the outpatients part or in Fetal Assessment? If it was up in Fetal Assessment, (on the second floor) then that was your anomaly scan. She should have printed out a load of photos and given you one?

I think it was the first floor but it did say the fetal assessment, she did print out a good few pics and gave me 4 and then the rest she put them in my file.

January wrote: »
    No more scans unless there are complications... maybe she did do the measurements she just didn't show you... have a look at your chart the next time you're in and you should be able to see all the measurements.

Yeah I will have a look at my chart the next time, I am back in to see the doctor in July so should I be given my chart then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Avril123 wrote: »
    I think it was the first floor but it did say the fetal assessment, she did print out a good few pics and gave me 4 and then the rest she put them in my file.

That sounds like the anomaly scan. That's disappointing that you didn't get much time. Did you get any good pics of baby?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do you not keep your chart?
    Normally except when they have to update it,you keep your chart and bring it to your appointments.
    My anomaly scans were about 10/15 minutes and they showed me the circulatory system,and head but I don't think they took leg and arm measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

They definitely didn't take any arm measurements when I had my anamoly scan, but they took leg measurements- specifically, they measured the femur.
    The scan took about 15/ 20 mins altogether, and I think that was with the sonographer taking her time, as there was no one waiting to come in after me.
    Apart from that- she measured the diameter and circumference of the head, checked the spine, heart (valves, blood flow- it showed up as red and blue when the heart was pumping blood through)..., and she checked the position of the liver, kidneys, stomach and bladder (as far as i can remember).
    I wouldn't have had a clue what the sonographer was doing most of the time unless she had told me. She was quite chatty and friendly, so I think I might have been lucky to get her. I'm sure some fly through the measurements and don't say much about them... more interesting to get a proper look at baby rather than what seems like a blur on the screen!
    I also keep my chart between appoitments- the reason I was given for this is so that if I have to go into the emergency dept. (happenend once) or when I go into labour, that I'll bring it with me, and they'll have all the information they need there without having to go looking for the chart or pulling records of the computer.
    So I was able to have a good nosy at what was writted in the chart when I got it back after my anamoly scan. In saying this... a lot of the stuff was abbrievated so I either had to look it up to see what it meant or ask when I went back for the next visit.
    Woop... sorry for an essay of a reply! :rolleyes:

That sounds like the anomaly scan. That's disappointing that you didn't get much time. Did you get any good pics of baby?

maybe she was just going through it so quick and didn't think to say what everything was :D We got 4 pics, 2 of which aren't bad and 2 which are blurry but am happy with them. :)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Do you not keep your chart?
    Normally except when they have to update it,you keep your chart and bring it to your appointments.
    My anomaly scans were about 10/15 minutes and they showed me the circulatory system,and head but I don't think they took leg and arm measurements.

No didn't get to keep my chart, didn't even know I could, I handed it back to the receptionist, Might get to keep it after I see the doctor in July, Not sure why I am seeing a Doctor as I am going public, is this just the norm so they can talk to you about the birth etc?

liliq wrote: »
    They definitely didn't take any arm measurements when I had my anamoly scan, but they took leg measurements- specifically, they measured the femur.
    The scan took about 15/ 20 mins altogether, and I think that was with the sonographer taking her time, as there was no one waiting to come in after me.
    Apart from that- she measured the diameter and circumference of the head, checked the spine, heart (valves, blood flow- it showed up as red and blue when the heart was pumping blood through)..., and she checked the position of the liver, kidneys, stomach and bladder (as far as i can remember).
    I wouldn't have had a clue what the sonographer was doing most of the time unless she had told me. She was quite chatty and friendly, so I think I might have been lucky to get her. I'm sure some fly through the measurements and don't say much about them... more interesting to get a proper look at baby rather than what seems like a blur on the screen!
    I also keep my chart between appoitments- the reason I was given for this is so that if I have to go into the emergency dept. (happenend once) or when I go into labour, that I'll bring it with me, and they'll have all the information they need there without having to go looking for the chart or pulling records of the computer.
    So I was able to have a good nosy at what was writted in the chart when I got it back after my anamoly scan. In saying this... a lot of the stuff was abbrievated so I either had to look it up to see what it meant or ask when I went back for the next visit.
    Woop... sorry for an essay of a reply! :rolleyes:

Defo didn't get all that info that you got on your scan...lucky thing :) The sonographer was nice but was a bit put out by her not explaining much and I think there was only one person after me. I didn't know I could keep my chart I would have loved a good nose at it especially after the scan :D Now she did say everything seemed ok but I would have preferred a more detail scan like your one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

I'm at the Rotunda, I had an Anomoly scan done there when I was around 21 weeks. A potential problem was actually picked up at this scan. They're supposed to check babys limb length, especially the femur bone, circumference of stomach and head, as these 3 measurements give an estimation of the babies weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

We were in Holles Street for the 21 weeks and got a few pictures and then a sheet of paper with some measurements on them - think one of the measures is a composite of the sonographer measuring arms / legs etc, but not sure.

Actually the sonographer did one funny thing. She couldn't see the gender because of the way she was lying in the womb so asked my partner to go downstairs, drink a bottle of Coca-Cola and eat some chocolate as the sugar would wake the baby up - sure enough 15 minutes later we are back up for the re-scan and the baby is in there dancing away like a mad thing. Not many times when a doctor recommends drinking coca-cola!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I have mine here, I had it done in Hollest street.
    Fetal Wellbing scan:
    Biparietal Diameter (BPD) 44.5 mm

Head Circumference(HC) 178.00mm
    Transcerebellar Diameter (TCD)20.5 mm
    Cisterna Magna(CM) 4.9mm
    Abdominal Circumference(ac)155.00MM
    Fermur Lenght (FL) 33.2mm
    Heart Action , Amnimotic Fluid:Normal
    Placenta Posterior Upper.

Diagnosis: Size compatible with dates, No Obvious Fetal Abmornalitys seen.
    When they where plotted on the centile chart the BPD was on the 5th , which worries me ,so I will ask about it at my next visit.Im used to having small babies, 4lb 7 oz etc.
    Hope the above is helpful for you.Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭deeduck48

when i was in CUMH originally, you had to take your chart(big red folder) home with you , but then we moved and im in limerick and they always grab it back off you at the end. I suppose its because pregnant women can be forgetfull!:D
    an appointment in the Hosp would be fairly pointless exercise if you had forgotten the chart i suppose as they couldnt compare previous results??:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They also have all your details on file.

Advertisement