Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Comic Book Heroes

Options
  • 22-06-2011 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭

Why do they make the Irish newspapers? There does not seem to be the same affinity for comics in Ireland as there is in the US? Always struck me as strange, considering that it not like the publishing house is going out of business and the comic will become defunct. Surely they will bring back Spiderman in a reboot.

I am curious, that is all.

The case I refer to is here.
    By Matt Moore in Philadelphia
    Wednesday June 22 2011
    SPIDER-MAN, one of the most venerable of all superheroes, is to die in the latest instalment of his adventures.

The wall-crawling lycra wearer, the alter ego of schoolboy Peter Parker, finally succumbs to arch-enemy the Green Goblin in the final issue of 'Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man', due out in the US today.

Fans of Spider-Man need not worry much, though, because the 'Ultimates' imprint is separate from Marvel Comics' bigger universe, and the web-slinger's adventures will continue in other series.

"I won't lie to you -- and it's embarrassing to say this out loud -- but tears were rolling down my face," said artist Brian Michael Bendis of laying Spidey to rest.

"I was very emotional in writing it. This is a character that represents such a great deal of my life."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Slow news day? Plus I'd have thought the "Irish Independent" part would have answered the question. It's like when they tell you about upcoming storylines in soap operas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's not the mainstream Spider-Man, it's the Ultimate version, which was a reboot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

humanji wrote: »
    Slow news day? Plus I'd have thought the "Irish Independent" part would have answered the question. It's like when they tell you about upcoming storylines in soap operas.

Obviously regarding the Indo but I've seen it in other papers too. The Death of Superman was another I recall getting mainstream news coverage. It just seems odd considering there does not seem to be a culture of comic book collection in Ireland.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ultimate universe is seperate from the normal Marvel universe, they're only killing off ultimate spiderman not regular spideran. This is nothing new anyway, Batman was sort of killed off the last few years too, Superman was killed but came back in the early 90's, same thing happened to Jesus before that, Captain America was killed at the end of the marvel Civil War story arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

It just seems odd considering there does not seem to be a culture of comic book collection in Ireland.

There is, it's just not all that well known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Did Roy Of The Rovers ever get a testimonial after he retired :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Sharrow wrote: »
    There is, it's just not all that well known.

I meant a prevailing culture. What you refer to is akin to a sub-culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

The only people who stay dead in comics, are Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben.

or at least, that used to be the case

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

folan wrote: »

Bucky's alive, he was Winter Soldier for ages and lately he's take up the job of being the new Cap I think??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Bucky's alive, he was Winter Soldier for ages and lately he's take up the job of being the new Cap I think??

I presume the original comment was meant as a joke - it was a long-standing rule in comics fandom that the only people who stayed dead were Bucky and Uncle Ben (or Bucky and Jason Todd if you wanted a cross-company sentiment). Then it turned out that Bucky was the Winter Soldier, Jason Todd was back (as the Red Hood, I think?) and there's even been a "return" of Uncle Ben (though I think that was a multidimensional fakeout or something).

Basically comic book fans are terrified of change so everything gets undone at some point :P (Or at least that's an uncharitable way of reading the reversible nature of death in these stories...)

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    I presume the original comment was meant as a joke - it was a long-standing rule in comics fandom that the only people who stayed dead were Bucky and Uncle Ben (or Bucky and Jason Todd if you wanted a cross-company sentiment). Then it turned out that Bucky was the Winter Soldier, Jason Todd was back (as the Red Hood, I think?) and there's even been a "return" of Uncle Ben (though I think that was a multidimensional fakeout or something).

Basically comic book fans are terrified of change so everything gets undone at some point :P (Or at least that's an uncharitable way of reading the reversible nature of death in these stories...)

Oh yeah, forgot about red hood!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

folan wrote: »

Bruce Wayne's parents?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Gulliver wrote: »
    Bruce Wayne's parents?

Flashpoint has Thomas Wayne as Batman :P

Advertisement