Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The camera of the future (DUE LATE 2011)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I can see it being used in security applications

Also very star Trek.

Also is it just me or are people taking some of the fun out of photography I need boundries dagnabit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

sheesh wrote: »
    I can see it being used in security applications

Also very star Trek.

Also is it just me or are people taking some of the fun out of photography I need boundries dagnabit!

Never thought of the security aspect to it! The technology will makes its money back there! Can see it being very useful to Sports and concert photographers too. From what I can take from the article it's got amazing ISO capabilities!

3d photographs have 'fad' written all over them, for me, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

point and shoot market is in for a Kicking I reckon if low light and everyone in focus can be achieved.

Wait till someone gets their hands on the camera and starts making movies or time lapse movies with them you could focus on any part of the movie

Thankfully I have found one problem with it: the depth of field is still out of the control once the image is taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Should have started a retirement fund:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Well, that's Christmas sorted so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Should make life easier for paps :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sheesh wrote: »
    yep - no effort, no reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Soon you'll be able to, apparently. According to the Irish Times a company is developing a camera that apparently reads enough information from a scene to allow the photographer to change his or her mind about the focal point afterwards.

My head hurts thinking about it.

Is it April 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

IMO it's a good idea for the point and click generation, but it saddens me as it takes a good chunk of skill in finding "the perfect shot" away for more seasoned photographers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056306595

all this moving around of forums is confusing me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's interesting technology. You can download a thesis on the topic from the bottom of this page: http://www.lytro.com/science_inside

It basically seems to work by using clever microlens designs to send parts of the "light field' to different parts of a sensor just as currently RGB is collected on adjacent photosites. You then have to strip out all the different images from the camera's output.

The question is how sharp can it actually refocus if your discretizing the light field into planes and how much light fall off does each plane suffer?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

I've just been reading about an apparently new advance in photography that takes away the need to focus the image when you are taking the picture! It now seems you can do it afterwards! :eek: Although this has many benefits it seems it could undermine the art of photography. Just wondering what your thoughts on this are?

Link:
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/ren-ng-lytro/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

a few things occur to me!
    How much will it cost?? obviously it's doable but can it be comercially viable
    Can it be used at any resolution
    will it compare to existing IQ at the relevant sensor size - perhaps they'll license it to the main camera companies.
    it might yet turn out to be as revolutionary as painting by numbers. Or turn the whole industry on it's head - interesting times ahead, there might be a lot of cameras going cheep by the end of the year!! :eek:

:)

Well I would imagine that the resolution would be a fraction of a regular camera since you have to array the 3D light field over a 2D sensor. So you sacrifice 2D resolution for depth.

I could see this being better used for storing small amounts of focus depth for minor focus correction rather than the dramatic OMGWTFBBQ!!! stuff we're seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I dunno, police procedural TV shows are gonna have to up their game...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Anyone see this new camera being launched - called the Lytro Light Field.

Looks impressive - what ye reckon?

http://www.lytro.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Instead of picking a subject,ensuring correct focus etc and taking the shot,I now have the ability to see a far off leaf in focus.Seems a bit pointless,as if I want a shot of the foreground,thats what I'll focus on and if I want want something else,I'll focus on that.And if I want both,I'll take 2 pictures.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

In fairness, it is amazing from a pure technology point of view - but the current implementation seems to be at the "gimmick gadget" end of the scale. Looking at the design of it, they're obviously aiming it at casual shooting - the kind of people who aren't going to think about what they should be focusing on.

All it has is a touch screen for exposure, a shutter button and zoom slider - so very minimal settings. No flash or even removable storage.

If you keep it's target market in mind, it looks like a cool toy. But it's not going to replace anyone's camera (compact, SLR or anything in between) any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

dunno about any of you but when I looked at the subject up close - it looked very soft, when I looked at the object in the back...it looked soft ...the middle didn't look the sharpest but it was the best of a bad bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Odd looking mesh bokeh on some pics... Great technology, but not much use in this form I think.

z1TLR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭McVitae

Lytro Camera is finally here
    Its far from a DSLR. Looks a bit gimmicky. Interesting to see if the technology will migrate in coming years. Will there be any real use? :rolleyes:

It's a neat trick that would have a lot of uses in engineering and science applications where things like confocal microscopy are often used. If you know to a good degree of accuracy the locations of each depth slice you can use it to scan a 3D surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

check this out

have a gander in the gallery, click on where you want to focus on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I've seen it pop up a few times. I'm not convinced to be honest. Any example I've see has had only 2 focus points and you had to view it in a sort of flash window.

I read someones comment online saying this is just begging to be implemented into phones and compact cameras and I have to agree. Having it available on a touchscreen compact digital and it would sell very well I think.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement