Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted - Church Building or somewhere equally as nice!

Options
  • 22-06-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I'm looking to let (or possibly buy) a converted or deconsecrated church (or a building of equal historic beauty - castle, mill) building in the Greater Dublin Area. Areas in Meath, Kildare, Louth, etc that are not too far from Dublin also.

Have been to those up on daft, myhome etc but none are exactly what I'm looking for. Needs decent amount of parking nearby and not be completely falling to pieces.

If anyone knows or hears of anywhere maybe not on the market already would be grateful to hear about it.

Will be used as a function venue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/2278135

You could consider building such a building from scratch. It'd probably be cheaper and you could make it more precisely suit your purposes. This building in McCreddin Village is probably only 15 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 34 suttonca2597

I most definately would purpose build but looking for somewhere suitable to possibly let first to test the waters if I can! Thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You tend to run into a few problems with such buildings in Ireland because most are only allowed for community use. Essentially the building can't be turned into a family home. You would need to apply to have it changed in purpose and then apply for planning to make any changes without effecting the inevitable conservation rules.

Close to Dublin it be even harder as there will be less of them not in use.

There is one for sale near Kilmainham jail I think it is with some estate agent called Fox.

An expensive plan one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I remember there was some show on one of the uk channels, where they show 3 properties in couples budget line and discription of what they want,and people can buy them.

A good few of those barn/church conversions were in it. Got how cool those things are! I would love so
    Erving like that!

I preUme we got some laws here that not allow such convertions?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerrz

http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/For-Sale---Presbyterian-Church-Building-Palace-Street-Drogheda-Co-Louth/81491/

Saw this as I was driving through Drogheda the other day...not much parking in this area though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 suttonca2597

Thanks for that Kerrz!

There's actually alot of churches converted to offices, etc. Depends on if their protected or not what can be done with them. And the zoning of course.

Thanks for the replies!

Advertisement