Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firearms security

Options
  • 22-06-2011 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

hello there all as there was few burglaries not too far away from me there the other night i just want to take this time and say to you make sure all your firearms are well secure also your cartrgiges as well kept well away from your firearms cause if even if your guns went they would have hard time getting your bullets. example; come in from shooting all day and leave gun beside safe instead of in it that is defo a no no cause you will say to your self ah sure ill put it in later but as a friend of mine said no one would come near the house where i live i said your not always there and especially this day and age they will take anything and every thing to make a few pound,
    so again i say to you all LOCK UP EVERYTHING CAUSE IF YOUR GUNS are ever gone it will be almost impossible to get your licence again
    thanks all for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

hello there all as there was few burglaries not too far away from me there the other night i just want to take this time and say to you make sure all your weaponsfirearms are well secure also your cartrgiges as well kept well away from your weaponsfirearms cause if even if your guns went they would have hard time getting your bullets. example; come in from shooting all day and leave gun beside safe instead of in it that is defo a no no cause you will say to your self ah sure ill put it in later but as a friend of mine said no one would come near the house where i live i said your not always there and especially this day and age they will take anything and every thing to make a few pound,
    so again i say to you all LOCK UP EVERYTHING CAUSE IF YOUR GUNS are ever gone it will be almost impossible to get your licence again
    thanks all for reading
    heard of a few in my area lately too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

my cousins shotgun got stolen from his house (monasterevin area) it was locked in a gunsafe and all

he got a new licence for a very nice new gun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

fergus1001 wrote: »
    my cousins shotgun got stolen from his house (monasterevin area) it was locked in a gunsafe and all

The fact it was in a gunsafe might have something to do with that. It can be argued he did everything reasonably practicable to secure his firearm

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

teacher in college was telling me his brother was out shooting with another man and got out at this spot but had two guns so put it in boot and threw coats over it, got back after a while,car was broken into gun taken. now they revoked his other licence and will not give him any new one.this was in the north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Moving this to Shooting as it's not a Hunting topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

still though, nice new gun or not, his old one is out there being used for god knows what on god knows who.

Dusty87 wrote: »
    still though, nice new gun or not, his old one is out there being used for god knows what on god knows who.

The gun was recovered as far as I know I'd hate not to be able to get a gun licence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

The gun was recovered as far as I know I'd hate not to be able to get a gun licence

Hundreds of people were refused their licenses last year - having done nothing wrong.

Count your blessings.

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    Hundreds of people were refused their licenses last year - having done nothing wrong.

Count your blessings.

B'Man

Lucky I'm a farmers son more like ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

i know two lads who had their guns stolen
    1/ the gunsafe a 8 gun job was ripped off the wall and emptied it took them along time but they did it .
    the guns were later recovered he got them and his licence's wern't affected
    2/ the gun safe was levered open and a 22 and 12 bore were stolen never recovered , house insurance paid out and license was reissued for new guns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

I think if its in your safe, meeting the required guidlines they can have no reason not to allow you another gun...:rolleyes:

Landkeeper If the first case you mentioned is our mutual friend he was very lucky to get them back as one was a very rare 16bore familt heirloom that no money could replace :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Legally, can you leave your guns in with a firearms dealer when on holiday?

Just if someone knew you had guns and had gone on hoidays (for example) and they thought they could spend a few hours getting what they wanted?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yes.

They are covered under their Registered Firearms Dealers license to hold multiple firearms. Only thing you need do is to make sure they write the gun into theirregister of firearms both for insurance sake and their sake. If they inspected by AGS and they have firearms on the premises that are not signed in they can be in trouble.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Just if someone knew you had guns and had gone on hoidays (for example) and they thought they could spend a few hours getting what they wanted?

I do this everytime I go away. Local RFD is a very good friend so does it no bother. I also tell the guards when I'm going away and that I've left the guns with the RFD.

I'm lucky in a way that I live half way down a dead end road with very observant neighbours and very little traffic so everyone knows who's who and who's not ;) Also the guy at the start of the road is a Guard which is also reassuring :)

Advertisement